Kite show 🙃

I just watched it, it wasn't anywhere near as awful as those initial videos. I mean, not the greatest show ever, but it was cute. Definitely good for the little ones.

From what I understand from my FIL who is a crew chief on the show, there are 2 separate shows - a Jungle Book one and a Lion King one that run separately multiple times throughout the day. And, fwiw, it's a show you're supposed to be able to watch/catch in passing... which it seems like most will do based on what I've seen... :scared:
You must be right. It's not like you can sit in the stands and watch it without running the risk of being pelted by the flying skinned hide of Baloo!

You must be right. It's not like you can sit in the stands and watch it without running the risk of being pelted by the flying skinned hide of Baloo!
I know you're joking, but the stands were pretty full when I watched it. There was an audible gasp when Baloo landed, but people then seemed to realize it was on purpose with King Louie. But I saw where they are reconsidering that part of the show lol, which is good.

I was at the 1:15pm showing today (Jungle Book).
Disclaimer: I tend to see everything, especially at Disney, with rose-colored glasses. Mostly, because I’m having such a good time with my family when I’m there.
As soon as the jet skis started it immediately reminded me of Sea World in the 90’s. The concept of the production just didn’t seem ‘Disney’. I thought the CM’s did a great job trying to engage the crowd. I also felt that the puppets they were walking around with were beautiful. But the kites being pulled by the jet skis were not. There was one pretty set 6 high with colored tails. The rest were lame. Everything at AK is so detailed and visually pleasing but large ‘kites’ were awkward. Their orientation made them appear limp. Then they landed them 😳 Every landing looked like an accident. Uncomfortable to watch. Disney is always hiding the ugly, un-magical aspect of things so to see this mess seemed odd. I think they could save this show by redesigning the main kites. E938D68A-B574-4A70-8E9A-A43A51830C14.jpeg7A248BCD-6B53-44B7-989A-86749EB9300B.jpeg5A0F433D-1BB7-4086-9490-E32EB0DEA1C8.jpeg
Also, when we were leaving a CM said, “we actually did it folks. We actually did it”. 🤣 I’m assuming she was referring to no wrecks.B0AF1650-25E7-402C-B55A-AE177A38CD5F.png
Edit: Wanted to add a pic of a landed kite.

Last edited:
There are multiple videos online and that's all I've seen.
Unfortunately the OP description is very accurate, except the jet ski didn't overturn in the video. Did read about that occurring the next day and the show hasn't been back yet.
Yes it was the next day it overturned and then the next day if I am not wrong that Baloo ended up in the trees. I just clumped them all together because I assumed most people had already seen them and knew the timeframe. As it goes time frame is inconsequential ..... its bad enough because they all happened.

It occurs to me that maybe Kite Tales is one of those shows that has a deeper meaning and we are supposed interpret the meaning within the context of our own lives. Maybe, we are supposed to anticipate what the next disaster will be. Maybe Kite Tales is an allegory for our own personal struggles, the lesson being, if you fill a giant animal balloon with air or helium you cannot predict its path and sometimes it will crash into stone bleachers or sometimes it will barely escape drowning as it is unceremoniously dumped in the water of a man made lake (got gators?) . Maybe WE are the giant animal balloon filled with air and when our lives do not go as planned we end up in a symbolic tree , lake or smashed on stone steps of life (see all they need is someone who got a masters in bs with a minor in sarcasm to save the show and this is the point where I would insert a "meaningful" quote or passage.). Think of it ,they bill it as a show with personal meaning and no two people will get the same message from it, I can almost hear the cultured voice of the narrator droning on about the deep spiritual experience that is..... Kite Tales! IMAGINE THE MERCH THEY COULD CREATE ( are you listening Loungefly, Alex and Ani, Pandora?). See they can't fool us that was their plan all along! OMG killing myself laughing :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was at the 1:15pm showing today (Jungle Book).
Disclaimer: I tend to see everything, especially at Disney, with rose-colored glasses. Mostly, because I’m having such a good time with my family when I’m there.
As soon as the jet skis started it immediately reminded me of Sea World in the 90’s. The concept of the production just didn’t seem ‘Disney’. I thought the CM’s did a great job trying to engage the crowd. I also felt that the puppets they were walking around with were beautiful. But the kites being pulled by the jet skis were not. There was one pretty set 6 high with colored tails. The rest were lame. Everything at AK is so detailed and visually pleasing but large ‘kites’ were awkward. Their orientation made them appear limp. Then they landed them 😳 Every landing looked like an accident. Uncomfortable to watch. Disney is always hiding the ugly, un-magical aspect of things so to see this mess seemed odd. I think they could save this show by redesigning the main kites. View attachment 609900View attachment 609901View attachment 609902
Also, when we were leaving a CM said, “we actually did it folks. We actually did it”. 🤣 I’m assuming she was referring to no wrecks.View attachment 609910
Edit: Wanted to add a pic of a landed kite.

😆 thanks for the updates and pics! It's like someone else said earlier, it's not just one or two issues but it all seems just...off! I don't get from the pics and videos why Baloo and King Louie are facing down towards the water? That looks weird! Seems they should be vertical with their faces out to the audience! And they only look partially inflated! And then the kites look little and not very worthy of being the main attraction of a kite show! The puppets on the polls look o.k but also seems weird having people just walking out with them as jet skis zoom around in the background with partially inflated, downward facing, half-inflated ballons and tiny kites, while landing in weird places as if crashing into the stands 😆

It occurs to me that maybe Kite Tales is one of those shows that has a deeper meaning and we are supposed interpret the meaning within the context of our own lives. Maybe, we are supposed to anticipate what the next disaster will be. Maybe Kite Tales is an allegory for our own personal struggles, the lesson being, if you fill a giant animal balloon with air or helium you cannot predict its path and sometimes it will crash into stone bleachers or sometimes it will barely escape drowning as it is unceremoniously dumped in the water of a man made lake (got gators?) . Maybe WE are the giant animal balloon filled with air and when our lives do not go as planned we end up in a symbolic tree , lake or smashed on stone steps of life (see all they need is someone who got a masters in bs with a minor in sarcasm to save the show and this is the point where I would insert a "meaningful" quote or passage.). Think of it ,they bill it as a show with personal meaning and no two people will get the same message from it, I can almost hear the cultured voice of the narrator droning on about the deep spiritual experience that is..... Kite Tales! IMAGINE THE MERCH THEY COULD CREATE ( are you listening Loungefly, Alex and Ani, Pandora?). See they can't fool us that was their plan all along! OMG killing myself laughing :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Knowing people would be divided over Enhantment and Harmonious, Disney set out to truly unite people by making something absolutely no one, anywhere, would think was going well.

Laughter is a universal language. KiteTales is the true Harmonious.

😆 thanks for the updates and pics! It's like someone else said earlier, it's not just one or two issues but it all seems just...off! I don't get from the pics and videos why Baloo and King Louie are facing down towards the water? That looks weird! Seems they should be vertical with their faces out to the audience! And they only look partially inflated! And then the kites look little and not very worthy of being the main attraction of a kite show! The puppets on the polls look o.k but also seems weird having people just walking out with them as jet skis zoom around in the background with partially inflated, downward facing, half-inflated ballons and tiny kites, while landing in weird places as if crashing into the stands 😆
This seriously had me laughing to the point of tears! And it’s all so true!!!:rotfl2:

I've rewatched a few shows and it's clear this lagoon is too small for jet ski's, they're just going in a small circle and they can't slow down or stop or else the kite will lose effect. It worked in Epcot because that lagoon is huge. Doing something a'la world of color is really the best thing they could do here.

Last edited:
When you see it "crash" into the stone bleachers - i'm pretty sure that's how they stop the kite, they pull up to the side and it lands on the edge where cast members grab it.

The kite has to come down eventually - I'm not sure how else you expect them to do it.

But wasn’t the organic matter clogging the spray nozzles the whole reason they had issues with Rivers of Light? If so, same stuff growing in the nozzles if you try to do World of color, right? I think that particular area of water is connected to all the rest. Seemed like you need a concrete-bottomed self-contained pool for that to really work. However, if you’re moving the sheer volume of water that Bargemonious is puking out, evidently that’s not expected to be an issue?

I haven’t seen it yet (snd may not), but I just find it embarrassing that Disney cut back Rivers of Light to something that was pretty universally panned for lack of both story and detail…so they replaced it with this. This seriously looks like something put on by high schoolers.

Nothing has a story or humor.

Are you kidding? I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard at something at Disney! And that includes the Tarzan show in Shanghai, where all of a sudden in second act there are surprise! Pirates! on Stilts! followed by the entire theater of CMs doing an interpretive dance.

...oh. You meant intentional humour. In that case, you're right!

When you see it "crash" into the stone bleachers - i'm pretty sure that's how they stop the kite, they pull up to the side and it lands on the edge where cast members grab it.

The kite has to come down eventually - I'm not sure how else you expect them to do it.
Yeah but traditionally, stuff like that would be done offstage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter