Kite show 🙃

Obvious choice is "Kite Fails".

We saw the 12:15 show today. It had a delayed start and still didn't seem to go as planned, though it's not clear that anything better had been planned.

ETA: We also saw the bird show for the first time today. It was immediately better, simply by having a shaded theater and chickens that could turn on the radio. 🐔
*slow clap*
*chef's kiss*

I was at the 1:15pm showing today (Jungle Book).
Disclaimer: I tend to see everything, especially at Disney, with rose-colored glasses. Mostly, because I’m having such a good time with my family when I’m there.
As soon as the jet skis started it immediately reminded me of Sea World in the 90’s. The concept of the production just didn’t seem ‘Disney’. I thought the CM’s did a great job trying to engage the crowd. I also felt that the puppets they were walking around with were beautiful. But the kites being pulled by the jet skis were not. There was one pretty set 6 high with colored tails. The rest were lame. Everything at AK is so detailed and visually pleasing but large ‘kites’ were awkward. Their orientation made them appear limp. Then they landed them 😳 Every landing looked like an accident. Uncomfortable to watch. Disney is always hiding the ugly, un-magical aspect of things so to see this mess seemed odd. I think they could save this show by redesigning the main kites. View attachment 609900View attachment 609901View attachment 609902
Also, when we were leaving a CM said, “we actually did it folks. We actually did it”. 🤣 I’m assuming she was referring to no wrecks.View attachment 609910
Edit: Wanted to add a pic of a landed kite.
LOOK at King Louie tell me his teeth do not look like dentures !! LOL!

When you see it "crash" into the stone bleachers - i'm pretty sure that's how they stop the kite, they pull up to the side and it lands on the edge where cast members grab it.

The kite has to come down eventually - I'm not sure how else you expect them to do it.

This show looks like an accident waiting to happen. Landing a balloon in the theater with an audience in it is hairbrained at best. It should be landed offstage. I give this show a month or two and then it's gone.

When you see it "crash" into the stone bleachers - i'm pretty sure that's how they stop the kite, they pull up to the side and it lands on the edge where cast members grab it.

The kite has to come down eventually - I'm not sure how else you expect them to do it.

Well, don't they come out from a backstage area with the kites already up? That's what it looks like from the videos. Why can't they just head back towards that area and let them down there?

Well, don't they come out from a backstage area with the kites already up? That's what it looks like from the videos. Why can't they just head back towards that area and let them down there?
No, they start on the sides of the lagoon. Its not backstage.

Why does it look like they come out with the kites already up?
They store them all along the lake in these wooden structures on floating docks. These are in front of Asia. A0730390-A6F5-41A4-A085-F7B632988975.jpeg07F783B9-41A9-4E68-AEF8-995DEE8C7CC3.jpeg
This is the landed the prickly pear kite.82717C53-3CB8-47F8-9B92-931D85C1A0AC.jpeg

Does anyone know what the long, orange kite with green leaves/thorns is? We cant tell what it's supposed to be?

Why does it look like they come out with the kites already up?
The pics above show it well. They are on the sides of the lake, attached to the jet skis (well, being held). As soon as the jet skis pull out, the kites immediately go into the air.

The pics above show it well. They are on the sides of the lake, attached to the jet skis (well, being held). As soon as the jet skis pull out, the kites immediately go into the air.
Just watched Mickey Views’ Brayden review it and I’m suddenly less horrified and more welcoming. Sorry I was cranky about it earlier. I’m gonna give it a chance.

Just watched Mickey Views’ Brayden review it and I’m suddenly less horrified and more welcoming. Sorry I was cranky about it earlier. I’m gonna give it a chance.
Its cute. Like I said, nothing ground breaking or spectacular by any means. But a nice little show to see in passing or to sit down and take a little break. And the kids around us seemed to love it.

Hey, I plan on going and am sure I will be smiling the whole time...I like Brayden's take which is to take it for what it is and just something fun! But come on, I mean did you see poor Pumbaa crash face first into the stands 😆😆😆 That's just hilarious!!! And again, Baloo flying into a tree!

While fun and now a I think a Disney 'cult classic' type event, it just surprises people as the AK 50th show!

Hey, I plan on going and am sure I will be smiling the whole time...I like Brayden's take which is to take it for what it is and just something fun! But come on, I mean did you see poor Pumbaa crash face first into the stands 😆😆😆 That's just hilarious!!! And again, Baloo flying into a tree!

While fun and now a I think a Disney 'cult classic' type event, it just surprises people as the AK 50th show!

Right? Worst comes to, it's a perfectly fine short show with seats and no need to stake out a spot 3 hours in advance. Best case scenario (for us), it's mostly-harmless chaos. And let's be honest: most people watch Nascar waiting and hoping for a crash.

I think this show is fun to watch. I am fully aware that AK is limited in what it can do for entertainment due to the nature of the park.

But man, I sure hope nothing bad happens to a CM on a waterski. God bless those CMs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter