Laid off--Support thread

My husband had his third interview today, the company knew what he was making and he totally got low-balled. We were dreaming big and thinking of the vacation we canceled and being able to take our kids on a vacation soon and now we're back to the job search. The company is going to get back to him again on Tuesday, but for what they wanted him to do (run the company) I make more as a secretary.

So much for our celebratory weekend, back to trying to keep my husband spirits up.

At least you know how important it is to lift your husband up. Their whole self-esteem is wrapped up in being able to provide for their family. Our prayers are with you and your family during this incredible difficult time.:hug:

My husband had his third interview today, the company knew what he was making and he totally got low-balled. We were dreaming big and thinking of the vacation we canceled and being able to take our kids on a vacation soon and now we're back to the job search. The company is going to get back to him again on Tuesday, but for what they wanted him to do (run the company) I make more as a secretary.

So much for our celebratory weekend, back to trying to keep my husband spirits up.

Nothing you can do about it. DH was laid off the end of May 2008, and was self employed since. He got a job offer this past May and it is for 30k less then he was making at his previous job. We were grateful and thankful for that!! Hopefully it will go up and things will pick up. We also cancelled our August vacation. Kids aren't too happy...but such is life.

I am totally with you both. For the positions that dh are hoping or interviewing for there are dozens more willing to work for less. The fellas called back are making 1/3 less and no benefits, doing many extra duties.

IT was big business that did this years ago and greed and now did it again. I swear the previous administration knew it was going on and ignored it.

The CBass, credit based organizations bought up all the loans screwed people over, we almost lost our home last year over a concealed illegal buy out, and now the bank is screwing us.

The have a skeam going with calling it a courtesy over draft. First I had OD protection, they said I did not, they then allowed an unauthorized auto payment to AAA I did not authorize, it OD the account, they did not use my protection said I did not carry it,,,,even when I proved I did they only gave me back $195 of $490 in fees. The paid out mega small things like $20 gas, $8 for Burger King, $20 groceriers, and a pizza, etc. I DID have BLOCK to NOT allow the card to work if no funds in there, they called yesterday and said now they took the entire $800 in UC checks and I am still $400 OD when am I paying it.

I walked her through where they are wrong, and she said prove it. It all came from my complaint to the Federal Reserve of their prior practice is Feb to "allow" courtesy OD, up to $400 at $35 an OD, P I FLIPPED,
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/banking/2005-10-04-bank-fees-usat_x.htm

THe dh spent way more then I knew on the debit, he was not good about it.

But today when I told the girl I wanted her name and copy of the conversation and the transcript of the conversation along with her supporting documents for me to forward to the fed's agency, SHE HUNG UP.

So I have that entire account screwed from them allowing two unauthorized payments them charging fees and allowing overages...

Sorry if it is confusiing. but I never had this proble,at the most I thought if not enough funds the debit card would not work...
All our income this week went into the OD account and we have no money!
And she wants to know when we are going to pay another $4oo?!!!!!
:confused:

After 42 years at the only job dh had at age 61 he can not even get an interview. Not even when the plant was bought and Younger men rehired. He can run the operation blindfolded and could not even get an interview.

We are sick. He does not even have a GED, they were not giving them until the fall, cost is $60.

This week really hit us to take 401K funds to pay bills and health benefits.
I work part time and am on disability insurance. My w/c is only $78 a week. If we do not get anything in the next 30 days it will be disasterous. I know we can have my son and dil, dgs move in to help, but that will be very difficult. Space, privacy. I would not feel right charging anything even though they would pay....

I am scared now......I just don't think ANYONE is going to hire him. Applied for every warehouse position, longistics, one was $10 an hour and because it would be the same as UC benefits he would not apply :scared1:

Tonight he wanted to buy smokes and case of brew....it hit him there was not enough in the account to get them. I begged him years about quitting and now would be the ideal time...No because he moops around it is OK to smoke more and drink nightly.

I can't take it, He LIKES being off....he says why can't he retire? Well we still have a 13 year old, no health benefits paid for, costing $500 a month for them.
Life can change in a moment. How many people could work the same place since highschool and then face this.....Gosh though at least get up early go put in applications and get something to pay benefits.

Sorry to run on here, but it is very difficult to deal with all this and his crappy attitude woow as me and let me fret instead of being the man and get out for ANYTHING.....

I am totally disabled and have a lot of health issues but with my education and desire to help others I do what I can to contribute. He actually asked me to get a state job full time so he can retire.
Retire next year is only $1,200 a month SS, and $800 retirement and NO medicare until 65.

I wish I had the strenght to punch wall and kick tires, yell as loud as I can! :confused:

I am totally with you both. For the positions that dh are hoping or interviewing for there are dozens more willing to work for less. The fellas called back are making 1/3 less and no benefits, doing many extra duties.

IT was big business that did this years ago and greed and now did it again. I swear the previous administration knew it was going on and ignored it.

The CBass, credit based organizations bought up all the loans screwed people over, we almost lost our home last year over a concealed illegal buy out, and now the bank is screwing us.

The have a skeam going with calling it a courtesy over draft. First I had OD protection, they said I did not, they then allowed an unauthorized auto payment to AAA I did not authorize, it OD the account, they did not use my protection said I did not carry it,,,,even when I proved I did they only gave me back $195 of $490 in fees. The paid out mega small things like $20 gas, $8 for Burger King, $20 groceriers, and a pizza, etc. I DID have BLOCK to NOT allow the card to work if no funds in there, they called yesterday and said now they took the entire $800 in UC checks and I am still $400 OD when am I paying it.

I walked her through where they are wrong, and she said prove it. It all came from my complaint to the Federal Reserve of their prior practice is Feb to "allow" courtesy OD, up to $400 at $35 an OD, P I FLIPPED,
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/banking/2005-10-04-bank-fees-usat_x.htm

THe dh spent way more then I knew on the debit, he was not good about it.

But today when I told the girl I wanted her name and copy of the conversation and the transcript of the conversation along with her supporting documents for me to forward to the fed's agency, SHE HUNG UP.

So I have that entire account screwed from them allowing two unauthorized payments them charging fees and allowing overages...

Sorry if it is confusiing. but I never had this proble,at the most I thought if not enough funds the debit card would not work...
All our income this week went into the OD account and we have no money!
And she wants to know when we are going to pay another $4oo?!!!!!
:confused:

How long did you expect your DH to work? He is 61. He can start to get SS next birthday (less than a year away). $2K/month is an average retirement for our area.

He should get his GED for a personal goal, but I don't think it will really make a difference in employment.

Have you considered selling your home, I am guessing you have a mortgage on it, and renting a cheaper place?

How long did you expect your DH to work? He is 61. He can start to get SS next birthday (less than a year away). $2K/month is an average retirement for our area.

He should get his GED for a personal goal, but I don't think it will really make a difference in employment.

Have you considered selling your home, I am guessing you have a mortgage on it, and renting a cheaper place?

Worked the figures:Considering that he would only receive $1,200 at 62 and $1,800 at 66 when our 13 year old graduated who has a disaility that was the need to met in our family. Also, I have been on disability ($430 after my medicare and gap taken out) for 9 years but continue to contribute as much as I can and it is not easy on my body. Oh, and my School loans, are another $100+ a month on a reduction for being disabled income.

My Dad gave us the land, we built on the family farm, this land has been in our family from my great grand father, now my grandson runs in the fields.
We are second marriages and built our home 17 years ago so we have a mortgage to pay, $515 a month, escrow is $275 a month. Renting would be more then that and we would not have a home to leave to two disabled children.

If the dynamicas were that the mortgage were paid off, there were no children at home, we would have health benefits and could live on $1,200 a month it would be different.

But even his work was not heavy,he enjoyed it.
Although I urged him that he should attain the GED to just hang it as a success attainment he feared doing it.

You have to be honest that at 61 new math, new english, the slippery slopes and criticle thinking, history includes a huge dynamic of the influence of the middle east and economics, science has green themes, geo thermo, etc etc, he would actually have to go back to school to pass a GED.

He can not even help with the 7th graders homework!

We have to think about how was when our parents went through the depression era, well, my parents as children.

Worked the figures:Considering that he would only receive $1,200 at 62 and $1,800 at 66 when our 13 year old graduated who has a disaility that was the need to met in our family. Also, I have been on disability ($430 after my medicare and gap taken out) for 9 years but continue to contribute as much as I can and it is not easy on my body. Oh, and my School loans, are another $100+ a month on a reduction for being disabled income.

My Dad gave us the land, we built on the family farm, this land has been in our family from my great grand father, now my grandson runs in the fields.
We are second marriages and built our home 17 years ago so we have a mortgage to pay, $515 a month, escrow is $275 a month. Renting would be more then that and we would not have a home to leave to two disabled children.

If the dynamicas were that the mortgage were paid off, there were no children at home, we would have health benefits and could live on $1,200 a month it would be different.

But even his work was not heavy,he enjoyed it.
Although I urged him that he should attain the GED to just hang it as a success attainment he feared doing it.

You have to be honest that at 61 new math, new english, the slippery slopes and criticle thinking, history includes a huge dynamic of the influence of the middle east and economics, science has green themes, geo thermo, etc etc, he would actually have to go back to school to pass a GED.

He can not even help with the 7th graders homework!

We have to think about how was when our parents went through the depression era, well, my parents as children.

I understand that the numbers do not work but you made decisions, such as getting a 30 year mortgage at ~44. That would mean you would be ~74 (well past retirement) when you paid it off.

I understand that the numbers do not work but you made decisions, such as getting a 30 year mortgage at ~44. That would mean you would be ~74 (well past retirement) when you paid it off.

Realisticaly, renting at 44 or 74 $775 a month would have not been found. Building was the most affordable. Becoming disabled by an underinsured dui juvenile was not in the plans, not losing a job that was not heavy work with benefits so I did not need them deducted from medicare and to pay cobra.

Life changes in a moment with unplanned events out of our control. We are not a selfish family. On top of that we had a devestating event to bury a child in 07 that depleted any saving we had.

There is no crystal ball in the future, and forgive me for venting and whining to get to sleep.

Realisticaly, renting at 44 or 74 $775 a month would have not been found. Building was the most affordable. Becoming disabled by an underinsured dui juvenile was not in the plans, not losing a job that was not heavy work with benefits so I did not need them deducted from medicare and to pay cobra.

Life changes in a moment with unplanned events out of our control. We are not a selfish family. On top of that we had a devestating event to bury a child in 07 that depleted any saving we had.

There is no crystal ball in the future, and forgive me for venting and whining to get to sleep.

Sorry about your loss.

I was just asking questions from what you posted. For me to retire I would have to own my home or have an investment (say from selling the house) that would generate the money for the rent.

You do realize that there are plenty of 44 yr olds and older getting 30 year mortgages? It isn't an oddity; there is no age limit on mortgages that I am aware of :confused3.

You do realize that there are plenty of 44 yr olds and older getting 30 year mortgages? It isn't an oddity; there is no age limit on mortgages that I am aware of :confused3.

I was just pointing out that if you only paid the 30 year payment that you would either have to work to 74 before you could retire or enter retirement still owing a mortgage. Neither is sound financial planning.

One can get a 30 year mortgage and pay it off in less than 30 years and be fine.

Getting a 30 year mortgage maybe be allowed at advanced ages, but that does not make it sound advice.

That is life, what we plan when we are 30ish and full of future dreams and plans is never an absolute. The job security seemed a given. Certainly with my law enforcement career, and his longevity and plastics industry. Greed in the upper management did them in. Why do CEO feel entitlement to perks and take it from the business? $$$ Wine, cars, golf, homes, trips, even the jobs. One CEO to over seas sales had 2 clients and that was it!

We felt we did everything right. work until we were 66, we were not rich but had our bills paid. Even the mortgage at $775 with escrow seems a great deal. To fear losing our home now is frightening. We are using the 401K funds to make the payments as the UC we get covers the medical, bills, bare minimun food.

We even made biweekly payments in the best times to pay off early..Then dad became sick took care of him, my Mom, dd had her health strugles and unexpected passing. We wanted to do things with the kids and make memories on a shoestring. Frugal folks....

Cars are paid off,no credit cards, no dreams, just moment to moment right now.

And sadness, loss and depression....for so much.
But thanks all for being a sounding board. No easy answers. I got through the first husband leaving with small children and not a dime.

Blessings to all for a better year and economy tomorrow.
:surfweb:

Well, it's time for me to join this thread. I'm not sure if this is a rant or what, but I just needed to get it out. DH was told on Friday that his hours are being reduced to a maximum of 20 from 40 and it has to be 90% billable work and benefits have all been eliminated. Health insurance is not a big deal because I cover our family. The loss of income however is a big deal. His boss said he can file for unemployment for the difference in income. DH works for a small business and he said that the owner was teary eyed when giving him the news. These folks are like family to us since we don't have any where we live. It just stinks, but you all are feeling this too...

We got back from our off site super budget Disney vacation a week ago. I'm glad this happened afterwards, or it really would have put a damper on it (we wouldn't have been able to cancel it anyway).

I'm visiting my parents out of state with DD so I feel bad that I'm not there for DH. Also today is his 27th birthday. They gave him some card that said,"From all of us at work... In honor of your birthday, the boss would like you to take a WHOLE DAY off...(inside) Next Saturday will be fine." He didn't feel too good about that although I know that the person who bought it had no idea what was happening.

The last few months we were looking at houses. Thank God we didn't find one yet. I think that dream is pretty much dead for a while. I was hopeful about our budget and bills, but now it's going to be so tight. We have been living bare bones for quite a while, so there isn't anything to cut. Except our $30/month DSL that we are in a contract for, we only have $12/month cable and a family cell plan that we share with my mom and sister $80/month. We have alot of other bills, but those aren't ones that can be reduced, except putting his student loans in forebearance, which I think we will do to help the budget for now.

On the positive side, I have to say I am SO PROUD of my husband. Since Friday, he has created a website for his work samples, references and resume, has almost finished updating his resume and has applied for unemployment. I was never able to get him to "Go Gazelle" regarding Dave Ramsey's plan, but he sure is on finding a new job. Maybe it helps that we aren't there right now to distract him.

I just needed to get some of this stuff out. Sorry so long

I was just pointing out that if you only paid the 30 year payment that you would either have to work to 74 before you could retire or enter retirement still owing a mortgage. Neither is sound financial planning.

One can get a 30 year mortgage and pay it off in less than 30 years and be fine.

Getting a 30 year mortgage maybe be allowed at advanced ages, but that does not make it sound advice.

As someone who took at 30 year mortgage at about the same age I have a suggestion... try to quit being quite so "I know best about everything with absolutely no facts":lmao: Perhaps you should not give advice that's not asked for?????:rotfl:

Seriously you seem to be the "I know best" regardless of the situation. For example my plan is NOT to pay off this mortgage. I don't plan to stay in this home when I retire (or even near that long) and will pay cash for the "last house" when I get close to retirement. Right now I don't feel the need to pay the mortgage off based on the "DIS knows best method of managing your finances" LOL

While I agree that DisneyMarie's situation NOW is bad I also think that for us to judge her past decisions on this board with NO FACTS is wrong..... :confused3

Yesterday marked one year of being unemployed for me. I was not in a good mood. I have teaching supplies taking over the garage. I know that I could have a garage sale and easily walk out with some moolah but to do that would mean that I officially give and I'm not ready to do that yet.

Still waiting to hear on extended benefits. I'm trying to get on the sub list for next year but they warned me that I would probably only get 1-2 days a week if I was lucky. Perhaps today will be better. I did make chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.

Mrs. Reece-congratulations on trying so hard to keep your spirits up. It is a big black hole out there in the FL job market right now. I've been watching to see if things have gotten better for you.

Since I haven't been getting any major bites I started applying for anything and everything two weeks ago, even if it won't pay as much as I get with UEI. Now it looks like I might be interviewed for a PT (20 hrs/wk) job working as a food server in a cafeteria. Min. wage, and do you know how I might get this job? ONLY because the administrator is one of my good friends. The problems? I won't even make enough to pay to put my child in daycare. I will be working in the negatives. :rotfl2:

I can only hope that I will be able to move up when positions come available to get to FT and into my field of work. I still don't have the job yet but....

I also started applying to things way out of my living area. I have to take a skills test later this week for a job that is about six hours away. If I get that I will have to move my family and all for a job that will still pay less than what I was making before. I have no idea if it is worth it or not. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of moving for a low paying job is giving me a headache and making me a bit depressed. It really can be hard to figure out what you are supposed to do in this life and what will really be the best thing for your children. Uprooting them or keep on the path of trying to get a job where I am. No matter what the jobs will not be good paying ones at this point.

Mrs. Reece-congratulations on trying so hard to keep your spirits up. It is a big black hole out there in the FL job market right now. I've been watching to see if things have gotten better for you.

Since I haven't been getting any major bites I started applying for anything and everything two weeks ago, even if it won't pay as much as I get with UEI. Now it looks like I might be interviewed for a PT (20 hrs/wk) job working as a food server in a cafeteria. Min. wage, and do you know how I might get this job? ONLY because the administrator is one of my good friends. The problems? I won't even make enough to pay to put my child in daycare. I will be working in the negatives. :rotfl2:

I can only hope that I will be able to move up when positions come available to get to FT and into my field of work. I still don't have the job yet but....

I also started applying to things way out of my living area. I have to take a skills test later this week for a job that is about six hours away. If I get that I will have to move my family and all for a job that will still pay less than what I was making before. I have no idea if it is worth it or not. Trying to weigh the pros and cons of moving for a low paying job is giving me a headache and making me a bit depressed. It really can be hard to figure out what you are supposed to do in this life and what will really be the best thing for your children. Uprooting them or keep on the path of trying to get a job where I am. No matter what the jobs will not be good paying ones at this point.

If you got the 6 hour away job and moved would it be to an area you DH could get a job at and would the company pay to move you and buy the house?

If you got the 6 hour away job and moved would it be to an area you DH could get a job at and would the company pay to move you and buy the house?

No, I am sure they would not pay to move me. It would be a state job. I have a friend that lives near there so I could move in with them while the house was up for sale and I worked on finding a place to move the family into. Once the house was sold then the rest of the family could move up. My DH could try to get a job there, it will still be in FL and we know what kind of job market it is here, with either a transfer or just looking on his own. He works for a "chain type" corporation so it is a possibility. Something like Tire Kingdom, etc. Of course, moving always costs money and we would be going from owning to renting. That would mean we would have no choice but to let at least four of our furbabies go. So I have already started looking for the right homes for them. It could take a long time to find the perfect new owners and I am not letting them go unless I know they will be in a better place than I can provide for them. I am hoping we will be able to rent with two dogs and three cats. I can't bear thinking about getting rid of any more than I have to. Plus my son does not want to move from here. He is the only one of my five children who has very strong friendship ties here. The rest of them would hate having to start over again but it wouldn't be as socially emotional as for the one who has several best friends. I probably wouldn't mind moving a little further north than what we are but I am not thrilled about moving that far north if we do. We moved to FL to get away from the cold and northern FL can get quite cold.:sick:

Good Luck with the PT job. I am a school food service manager and the best advice I can give you is to let the managers know you want to work and when you are called make every attempt to have your DD taken care of so you will be available. Work as hard as you can and when you have a spare minute or two observe the other workers to get an idea of how to do other things in the kitchen. It is hot hard work and the pay really bites but at least once your dd gets in school you will have almost all the same time off that she does. It is hard at times to get your foot in the door but if the managers know you will be dependable and work hard they will call you and they will think of you when there is an opening.
If you have any questions please let me know.

Good Luck with the PT job. I am a school food service manager and the best advice I can give you is to let the managers know you want to work and when you are called make every attempt to have your DD taken care of so you will be available. Work as hard as you can and when you have a spare minute or two observe the other workers to get an idea of how to do other things in the kitchen. It is hot hard work and the pay really bites but at least once your dd gets in school you will have almost all the same time off that she does. It is hard at times to get your foot in the door but if the managers know you will be dependable and work hard they will call you and they will think of you when there is an opening.
If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks for the support! The manager is a little afraid to hire me since I have a degree and might leave as soon as I get an offer for something that pays more or is FT, which is very possible as I need to consider my children and their support first. And this is a medical facility, instead of a school, so I won't be lucky enough to get the time off that the kids are out of school. Plus the youngest is only two so she will still be in daycare FT unless I can find someone good who can do PT for a reduced fee. But my friend assured the manager that in this economy it won't be easy for me to find a better paying job anytime soon. And in the meantime, before that happens, he will have a hardworking, honest, reliable worker to count on.

I will be sure to take your advice and work my little (ok, a bit bigger than little) tushie off.

I have been reading these Boards, and in particular this thread, for quite awhile now. Even though I have never posted, hearing other people who have been going through the same issues that we have has been very helpful to me. I am beyond excited to say that as of this upcoming Monday I will be employed once again! It is something that is a significant pay cut for us, but it is full time with full medical benefits! I do realize that I have been luckier than most as I was only out of work for 4 months and there are many on here and all over that have been out of work for months longer if not a year. Luckily for us, I guess you could say, we had been saving up money for a down payment on a house, so when I lost my job and UPS slashed DF's hours in half, we did have some money saved and that has been what we have been living off of for the last few months. Hopefully now we can start rebuilding that and get our hopes of putting a 30 year mortgage on our shoulders back on track! :thumbsup2

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you all. Hearing other people in the same boat, and how they were working through it, definitely helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter