Let's Have a Kiki With Benedict Cumberbatch & Mickey! **Update 11/02 x4**

disneyshakeygirl

DIS Veteran
Welcome to my September 2014 TR!
32cd096c-76d9-4189-8c16-986b24ec7efb_zps677dbf4c.jpg

So, how do Sherlock Holmes, Mickey Mouse and The Scissor Sisters all unite, in Disney World? Come along and find out!

My PTR is in my signature. You can also get to it HERE.

The trip was amazing - good food, making new friends and even a few DisMeets, which made the trip even better.

Some notes:
- I am a nanny and this was part of the reason I went to WDW.
- I quote things. A LOT. Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, Pitch Perfect, Bones, DISNEY. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
- My travel playlist will be mentioned throughout the TR. I have playlists for nearly everything. Driving, travel, my job. It's just one of those that there things.

Explanation of the TR title -
- Let's Have a Kiki is a song by one of my favourite bands, The Scissor Sisters. Kiki means to have a party and is also a loose term for gossip/chit-chat. The song was on repeat during my trip. Video is here. The song was featured on Glee a couple of years ago. The trip was sort of a party of a sense.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is this dude.
9d5f4cde-078c-4b3e-bd10-4df039f2de0a_zps366f367c.jpg

He is one of my favourite actors, and he portrays one of my favourite fictional characters, Sherlock Holmes in the BBC's Sherlock. Benedict (well, his image etc) popped up several times throughout my trip. You'll find out why soon enough.
- Mickey - well, that's pretty self explanatory.

Join along and feel free to comment : D

Last edited:
Laura, thanks for the bat signal that you started.

I'm here and can't wait to read all about it.

Two weeks at Disney? I'm so jealous.

Laura, thanks for the bat signal that you started.

I'm here and can't wait to read all about it.

Two weeks at Disney? I'm so jealous.

EEE! So glad you're here. Thank you! And you're welcome!

It was two FULL weeks at Disney and it was EPIC.

And I'm so excited you're here :D.

cd0c6daa-25d5-4b3e-a99b-13ab5eb43091_zps0ee354d9.jpg

The Whosits and Whatsits
Who: Me
What: 2 Week Kiki/Trip to Walt Disney World
Where: Walt Disney World, stayed at POFQ
When: September 13 - 27, 2014
Why: Why not? I was in need of this holiday, very badly.

The Party Goers....
... Of which there is only one. Me. There were several points in which friends or family were due to come with me, but all eventually had to back out, due to personal reasons.

Name: Laura
Job: Trained nanny, taking care of two little ones.

Disney Favourites:
Songs: All Beauty and the Beast songs, I'll Make a Man Out of You, Part of That World, Let It Go.
Movies:
Animated: Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mulan.
Live Action: Mary Poppins, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 3.
Characters: Mary Poppins, Bert, Barbossa, Jack Sparrow.
Villains: Gaston, Scar.
Sidekicks: Ray, Louis, Cogsworth, Lumiere, Timon & Pumbaa, Sven.
Princess: Belle, Mulan, Tiana, Merida.
Princes: Shang, Naveen, Beast.
Parks: Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
Rides: Pirates of the Caribbean, BTMRR, Haunted Mansion, Soarin', Test Track.
Restaurant/Counter Service: Rose & Crown Pub, BOG, Casey's.
Instagram: @shakeygal
Twitter: @shakeygal

He is one of my favourite actors, and he portrays one of my favourite fictional characters, Sherlock Holmes in the BBC's Sherlock. Benedict (well, his image etc) popped up several times throughout my trip.

A Kiki is a Party for Calming All Your Nerves

And my nerves needed to be calmed. A little back story as to why. Not many photos for this entry, sorry!

I work as a nanny. Up until January 31st of this year, I'd been working with the same family, whom I LOVE LOVE LOVE, for 4 years. The children are a set of twin boys and I'd been with them since they were 10 months. Originally, I was only supposed to work with them up until June of last year (I didn't work during the summer), as the boys were due to start school in September, so I needed a new job.

I started this new job, it was a COMPLETE disaster and I left shortly after starting it - it nearly destroyed me. I ended up having to get help it affected it me that badly. It took me months to realize that what happened at that job was NOT my fault.

However, one of the parents of the twins, sadly, became seriously ill. Fortunately for me, the boys needed before and after school care (kindergarten here was only 1/2 day up until this September) due to this, as one parent was still working, the other was ill. They could only afford to pay me up until January 31, so that was fine, I didn't care - I was back with the twins. The parent has since recovered and is doing better.

I started a new job on February 10 and I'm enjoying it. It was a huge adjustment for me, as this new family is far different than the family I'd just left, and it took me awhile to get used to it and the kids. The new kids had to also get used to me, as their previous nanny had also just left, so it was a bit tough and rough for all of us.

This January 24, I was driving the twins home from school and a man ran a red light. This was the result. The boys weren't hurt AT ALL, neither was the other driver. I ended up with a cut thumb, post crash whip lash, and internal bruising, but otherwise was fine.

53539921-8144-4d6f-9385-6b653118ad69_zps3e26b191.jpg

87b13895-7e34-4c66-9acb-4fa690c1094e_zps73e18d62.jpg

Even though he was in the wrong, the witnesses (who were wonderful) left before the police came, so the charge ended up being 50/50. Unfortunately, as the police won't take the word of the children, there was nothing that could be done. What made it worse was that the intersection where I got hit is the only intersection in that area that doesn't have a traffic cam and also, my car had just been paid off about 5 months before. My car was a write off. I have a new car and it's great, but I miss my old one.

Basically, I needed this trip more than anything. I asked my employers shortly after I was hired (I interviewed and signed the contract back in November) if I could take holiday from Sept 13 - Sept 27 and they said absolutely.

And that's how it all began.

Continue

Laura, I'm sorry you went through so much. It must have been hard leaving your first family. And then to go into such a horrible situation. And then you go back to your old employers because one is ill...must have been a scary time. And the car accident...oh dear; I'm glad that everyone was safe and you only had a few minor injuries. It could have been so much worse.

I'm glad you have started a new job. I'm sure it will take time to get adjusted to each other, and having met you they will come to adore you.

Laura, I'm sorry you went through so much. It must have been hard leaving your first family. And then to go into such a horrible situation. And then you go back to your old employers because one is ill...must have been a scary time. And the car accident...oh dear; I'm glad that everyone was safe and you only had a few minor injuries. It could have been so much worse.

I'm glad you have started a new job. I'm sure it will take time to get adjusted to each other, and having met you they will come to adore you.

Thank you. It was really hard, as I'm sure you know being a parent, as I'd been there for all of their firsts (words, steps, teeth, very first day of school etc) and been through all ups and down with them. It was also frightening when the parent got ill and nobody knew what was happening. We still don't know what exactly was wrong with them and what caused it all. They're still trying to find answers.

Exactly, things could be so MUCH worse.

I'm enjoying my job now. The kids and I are pretty much adjusted to each other. Everyone has had to give a little and take a little.

Friday, Sept 12/2014 - Leg 1: Hometown to Toronto.

There aren't any photos for this entry - I'm sorry in advance for the novel! The day of departure, I had to work that day, and I somewhat regretted not taking it off, as this is the first trip that I have been completely and utterly disorganized in preparing for.

The actual Disney part, I was ready for (ADRs, FP+ etc), but other wise, I just wasn't ready, which is SUPER unlike me. Usually, I am so organized, there's nothing left for me to do. I couldn't afford financially to take the day off. Luckily, my oh so wonderful mother (aka Mama) helped me out.

I got everything organized and set out in our family room the night before, including my costume for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (but you'll see that a bit later). Mama dropped me off at work on the Friday morning (the 12), and picked me up that afternoon. We went straight to the airport. I checked in and waved my luggage off. We picked up a quick dinner at Harvey's and off I went through security - but not before hugging Mama goodbye!

I have severe food allergies and am permitted to pre-board to wipe down my seat, just in case. That went off without a hitch. The flight was uneventful and I checked into my hotel which was located at the airport. While I was waiting to check in, I found out that Disney's MagicJet happened to be in Toronto this particular night, so I had to do a mad search for it. Didn't end up finding it, sadly. My flight from Toronto to Orlando left at 6:20 am the next morning, so I emailed Mama to let her know I was okay and went straight to bed. Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough.

Coming up: Travel Day Part 2/Arrival at WDW.

Continue

Laura, we all get disorganized at times. If I'm not leaving until a later afternoon flight, I actually prefer working so that I'm not sitting at home going crazy.

I can't wait to hear about arrival day.

Day 1 - "Though the sun is rising, few may choose to leave..."

I was up before the sun, and I was choosing to leave! I woke up at 2:25 am and peeked out the window to see if I could get a glimpse of the Magic Jet - still nothing. I showered, did my make up and packed the little I had taken out up. After checking FB and sending my mom a quick email etc, I left the hotel, which is connected to the airport, at approx 3:15 am. After some run around from Air Canada (apparently, my reservation didn't exist, then deciding I hadn't paid for my luggage, when I had - suddenly ), I got in line for customs. The doors opened just after 4 and I breezed through.

I found a nice little place for breakfast and had some toast and a glass of OJ. After breakfast, I walked around a lot and made a pit stop before heading to my gate. I checked that I could pre-board to wipe my seat down and confirmed the buffer zone (thanks, food allergies) and this was confirmed by a fantastic young man, who happened to be one of the head attendants. When I went to pre-board, the lady checking me in stopped me and asked me why I had to pre-board. I explained and she announced that she HAD NOT said it was okay, but out of the kindness of her heart, she would allow me to pre-board.

Soon, it was time to take off and off we went! We were a little late leaving & left shortly after 6:15 am. I don't remember much of the flight, apart from sleeping a little and reading some of my book.

75a53839-593c-4cbe-aa29-ea5cba91f88b_zpsd9e2797e.jpg

Luckily, time was made up and we arrived in Orlando right on time. It was so nice and warm, the heat could be felt through the airplane window.

315f76b9-10e6-436a-a86e-8c05e717f95c_zpsbd45735c.jpg

I picked up my luggage and went straight to the Magical Express. Guess who ended up in front row! The driver was hilarious and unfortunately, I can't remember his name. He had the entire bus cheering, clapping, screaming, stomping our feet. We played trivia, then we were on our way. Not a fan of this new video! Soon the driver was telling us to take our cameras out. What could be coming?

Continue

Laura, I am so sorry I missed this update. I respond when I get to office. Please forgive me.

****Okay, back and caught up. It sounds like a smooth flight overall except for the gate attendant who gave you a little grief after you were already cleared to preboard. :woohoo::woohoo: for making up time and landing on time despite leaving a bit late.

I am with you... not a fan of the new video on the ME at all.

I know what's coming up. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Day 1, Part 2 - Good Morning, Good Morning, It's Great to Stay Up Late

The bus driver had announced that now would be a good time to get our cameras ready, as something would be greeting us quite soon! About 2 minutes later, the oh so famous greeting sign was before us.

c2b61c23-ee81-455f-bef5-49cd7b3c8705_zps55326cf7.jpg

We stopped off at two hotels (of which I can't remember for the life of me), before stopping off at POFQ, which was my stop. HURRAY!

I had been messaging with a friend, Lori, on FB since landing at MCO. She was in Magic Kingdom that day (she is also a member of the Dis and we've been friends for nearly 10 years, meeting long before either of us discovered the Dis). She was with some other mutual friends and we decided I'd meet them there after I'd checked in and had something to eat. I've suddenly realized I've got no photos of checking in and my hotel room! *facepalm*

Soon, I was on my way to The Magic Kingdom, then walking through the gates!

ad8249f1-354b-46cd-969c-bed9e9a2b87e_zps21f1e8b5.jpg

I met up with Lori, Tori, Elizabeth and Clara, Tori and Elizabeth's mom. We introduced ourselves properly. They asked if I wanted to see the Castle, but I wasn't ready just yet! This was the first time I'd ever met any of them face to face, so it was sort of exciting. They were waiting by Town Hall, and we were chatting up a storm immediately. Within minutes, I had my first sort of character greetings. You can see my friend, Tori taking photos on the right in the first photo.

a79d3d6c-d2fe-4bcf-beb4-47c97fde69c3_zps4710472f.jpg

Elizabeth, Tori's sister, is on the right again, with the sun flower dress.
262d49a5-85a0-4c08-be72-0fb9cec4e7a0_zps6799c58c.jpg

The others met Aurora, while I stood back - I am painfully, painfully shy (very good at hiding it) and wasn't quite ready to do meet and greets. This would soon be overcome in a few hours, as I was about to be initiated into the Gastunned club.

After meeting Aurora, Lori's bag broke and we headed into the Emporium to get her a new back. We had a look at the merchandise and thus, this produced some massive bouts of giggles!

a0256b69-e986-46c2-8738-9debdbd8272d_zps1cc1cd16.jpg

4aa97856-1773-4ed6-8e44-a021644d2fff_zpsb075be46.jpg

Then proceeded to sit by the Barber Shop to see Festival of Fantasy!

Continue

Again, I'm sorry for falling behind.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: you've arrived and great picture of the arch.

I'm glad you were meeting up with Disney friends right away. And how fun that you saw Aurora and Snow White as you were at the front of the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter