Life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks: final update 12/29, p.98

Drive by post! Things are ahead of schedule on the house. Demolition is done! The actual rebuild starts on Tuesday!! It's an exciting time!!

:goodvibes So glad for your family Michele. :thumbsup2 Are they giving you a time frame on the rebuild?​

:wave:

I've been lurking around here wanting to wait until I get back to computer to post, but alas, that is not going to happen this weekend. :sad2:

No wonder you guys ended up with so much food leftover! Dropping in at places right and left with no ADRs :lmao: It is funny how predictable yoyr crew can be! Still looks like a fun day!

Are we predictable? :blush: We're so predictable! :rotfl: What part isn't surprising? The pool or walking up to Tony's. We are so bad about changing ADRs. Believe it or not, I do cancel the ones we don't do to. As a former server, it's against the code to no show. ;)

Fun update! one of these days I would like to try Tony's, and Mama Melrose for that matter. Never enough nights to eat everywhere we want.

I agree. I would choose Tony's over Mama Melrose. Both are good but Tony's ambiance far outshines Mama Melrose's.​

I think the pool is relaxing...as is the water parks...seems to me lots of relaxing was going on!

Good point. I consider pool time relaxing too. :cloud9: Plus with a cocktail, its perfect.​

I really liked Zumba and at some point, now that my neck is more manageable, try it again but I've got a set routine at the moment that it may or may not fit into so we will see. Reinjury scares me.

I don't blame you. Reinjury is a huge risk and one I'd likely not take. What's your routine now? I need some exercise motivation? My butt in the yellow bikini today wasn't enough. :rotfl2: Should have been but wasn't.​

It's both. It will flare up when I've had a lot of exposure and it can take 2-4 weeks to really calm it down. Swimwear is a huge problem and Hawaii did cause a pretty big flare up. Most of the time I'm not in a suit 24/7 so it's limited exposure but tropical vacations are an issue for sure. Worth it but I really didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. Swimsuits that are "free" of issue materials don't exist so really I just have to suck it up.

I am sorry, that really stinks. I can see how on beach vacations it would be a major issue. Do you take some sort of steroid for flare ups?

I can't imagine that swimsuits that are *free* from material issues are very attractive. My neighbor makes her kids' (all teens) swimsuits and they're awful! They are supposed to be modest but they're all cotton so what happens is they are clingy and more revealing than a normal swimsuit. :upsidedow She's a nut.​

Ok, if I don't post as I go I'm totally going to miss things.

Firstly, sorry I'm starting this so late.

:goodvibes and :welcome: I have a table of contents for easier cathcing up. I think it's in the 4th post.​

AoA looks so cool, thanks for all those photos.

It's so cool but even though the suites say they can sleep 6, I could never stay there for more than a night. DVC has ruined any mod or Value chances for the future. I use to want to try the POFQ but we'd need 2 rooms.​

Kudos for not forcing yourselves to go to MK that first night, starting off tired is no good.

Thanks! We don;t do the parks on travel days. Everyone is always too beat. Dinner and a swim seem to work well for us. It was fun to putter round AoA too. Its such a cute resort.​

You got a lot of rides in that first morning, very cool. I don't think I've ever, in my entire life, been to rope drop, a Dis failure I know.

We don't make as many rope drops as we use to by any means. The girls value their sleep too much. They're such teenagers.​

You had me laughing out loud with the Joshua's wedding comment in IASW, so funny!

I think it every time we see that little Jewish boy and say: there's Joshua. :rotfl:

Now I want to stay in a THV... I'm going to need these 50 years to try all the awesome places available. Not to mention those Cabo pictures at the beginning, that resort looked gorgeous.

Back to reading popcorn::

The THV are amazing! Honestly, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. We had no transportation issues whatsoever. They are a real treat and I am so glad we bought at SSR. I could split stay THV/AKV every trip and be perfectly happy.

Cabo was our first use of points. Some say it's not the best use of points but at the time, our DVC points were our entire vacation budget. It was a beautiful resort with a great dos por uno (happy hour). We met a couple on that trip that we still keep in touch with. It was awesome. :woohoo:

I'm working on an update right now. :goodvibes

I don't blame you. Reinjury is a huge risk and one I'd likely not take. What's your routine now? I need some exercise motivation? My butt in the yellow bikini today wasn't enough. :rotfl2: Should have been but wasn't.​

Right now we are doing 3 runs a week, 30-50 minutes or so each and then 2 gym workouts at 45-60min. At the gym I do a combo of elliptical and lower body weights and stretches. I can't really do any upper body stuff anymore. Before the running started it was 3-4 days a week at the gym so it's gone up a little bit. I'd take the days off that Jeff ran :rotfl: and he ran less so we could go to the gym together.

Honestly my motivation is keeping the weight off and doing one of the runDisney events before the big 50. Realistically with points and such and trips already planned, plus the timing of the events it will most likely be the DL 1/2 in 2014. I really really wanted it to be the Princess but the timing is off. I don't think I'll feel ready for this one yet, at least not at where I want to be, and 2015 is too far away but the timing of the DL one works. We will see. I had originally thought to do the DL 10K and then the princess half but have been having second thoughts about it and may shoot for the DL 1/2 and 2015 Princess Glass Slipper Challenge.

Then again I may be crazy!

I am sorry, that really stinks. I can see how on beach vacations it would be a major issue. Do you take some sort of steroid for flare ups?

I can't imagine that swimsuits that are *free* from material issues are very attractive. My neighbor makes her kids' (all teens) swimsuits and they're awful! They are supposed to be modest but they're all cotton so what happens is they are clingy and more revealing than a normal swimsuit. :upsidedow She's a nut.​

I can't even imagine a suit that is "free" it wouldn't stay up! I am on a 2 week on/2 week off topical steriod and in the off weeks use a Rx excema cream and then use very very heavy duty OTC creams and moisturizers.

There are some lovely modest suits out there if people just look. Lands End...Athleta...some nice things!

Between being in a swimsuit for much of the trip, and snorkeling I definitely have had some ramped up skin that is just now calming down. Unfortunately the running does make it worse...sweat with the "bad" material against my skin somehow accelerates the exposure and flare up so I've focused on replacing that clothing first as best I can, within reason.

Right now we are doing 3 runs a week, 30-50 minutes or so each and then 2 gym workouts at 45-60min. At the gym I do a combo of elliptical and lower body weights and stretches. I can't really do any upper body stuff anymore. Before the running started it was 3-4 days a week at the gym so it's gone up a little bit. I'd take the days off that Jeff ran :rotfl: and he ran less so we could go to the gym together.

:worship: You guys are so good. :thumbsup2 And dedicated. I wish I had that kind of resolve. I'm seriously impressed. Guess that's part of the reason you look so hot in your yellow bikini.​

Honestly my motivation is keeping the weight off and doing one of the runDisney events before the big 50. Realistically with points and such and trips already planned, plus the timing of the events it will most likely be the DL 1/2 in 2014. I really really wanted it to be the Princess but the timing is off. I don't think I'll feel ready for this one yet, at least not at where I want to be, and 2015 is too far away but the timing of the DL one works. We will see. I had originally thought to do the DL 10K and then the princess half but have been having second thoughts about it and may shoot for the DL 1/2 and 2015 Princess Glass Slipper Challenge.

Both are admirable! Did you ever have a weight issue? And seriously Disney as a motivator is brilliant. It's a win win; you stay healthy and in shape and get to be at Disney. You're a smart cookie. Or should I say Wheat Thin. ;) When do you have to decide on which race you'll do?​

I can't even imagine a suit that is "free" it wouldn't stay up! I am on a 2 week on/2 week off topical steriod and in the off weeks use a Rx excema cream and then use very very heavy duty OTC creams and moisturizers.

There are some lovely modest suits out there if people just look. Lands End...Athleta...some nice things!

No they're weird, like a step away from the FLDS followers.

So a topical doesn't have as many side effects right?​

Between being in a swimsuit for much of the trip, and snorkeling I definitely have had some ramped up skin that is just now calming down. Unfortunately the running does make it worse...sweat with the "bad" material against my skin somehow accelerates the exposure and flare up so I've focused on replacing that clothing first as best I can, within reason.

Thats smart. I guess you can limit exposure as much as possible but you can't give up your active lifestyle. It's the trade off, right? You really do seem to deal with it quite well. :goodvibes

Nice Splash pics.
Tony’s is a good place to eat. Never ate inside though. LOl. Always on the porch.
Swimming is fun and so is napping so either would do it for me. LOl
All caught up. Great updates and pics.

Thanks. :goodvibes We love Splash.
We've never ate on the porch. Lol! Always inside. We're also always there when its blazing hot.
I wish I could nap but I've never been a good sleeper.
I feel like I'm writing a haiku.​

:worship: You guys are so good. :thumbsup2 And dedicated. I wish I had that kind of resolve. I'm seriously impressed. Guess that's part of the reason you look so hot in your yellow bikini.​

I think it sounds like a lot more than it really is :rotfl2:

Both are admirable! Did you ever have a weight issue? And seriously Disney as a motivator is brilliant. It's a win win; you stay healthy and in shape and get to be at Disney. You're a smart cookie. Or should I say Wheat Thin. ;) When do you have to decide on which race you'll do?​

I think it depends on how you define issue. I've always been blessed with good metabolism, a healthy appetite and an interest in a relatively healthy lifestyle. After Eric I carried a good extra 20 pounds for about 3 years, lost it and then some once I became a single mom and got very focused on being uber healthy as I was all they had. Fast forward and I've remarried and injured myself, kids are crazy busy with school, super easy to make excuses to workout less (they need dinner, help with homework, etc etc etc) and things get softer, clothes tighter etc. About a year and a half ago I hit a wall feeling really crummy about the neck pain, how things fit (or didn't) and and just ramped it all up between working out, PT, trying to get healthy again so I could get back to the exercises I'd given up and for the first time in my life, really counted calories. Lost about 20 pounds. Which...no one noticed lol! But I did.

I don't count anymore mind you, and in the big picture it was nothing but it did show me that a little focused effort can really work. I've probably put about 5 of it back on though much of it is converted to muscle so that's ok. Biggest issue is stomach...2 babies and the inability to work that part of my body due to the neck issues well..only so much one can do.

But yeah, if I have to run, I might as well be rewarded with a runDisney event!

As far as timing, it depends on the event. Most sell out quickly and the timing of a lot of them conflict with other things which is frustrating. The DL 1/2 in 2014 (Labor Day weekend) is probably my best bet timing wise for my first event so for now I do plan to register for that which will be in early Jan I think. Registration for the WDW 1/2 will be before that race actually happens (reg in April or May, I forget, Princess reg is in June and Tink in July) so I'll have to decide then if I want to try that one as well. As I said I'd rather do the Princess but I think it will conflict with a family trip. Too early to say but hopefully I'll now by the time that comes around.

In the meantime I'll look to maybe do something local in the fall and then again in the spring. Not a 1/2, probably 5 or 10K or 8/10 milers or something like that. We will see. Nothing super soon that is for sure :rotfl2:

No they're weird, like a step away from the FLDS followers.

So a topical doesn't have as many side effects right?​

No, not nearly the side efffects but it isn't good for your skin...it can thin it, or discolor it (seems to be ok so far, sigh..though the cortizone shot I got for tennis elbow did discolor so that makes me a bit nervous). probably biggest danger is being careful with my eyes as if you get it in, it can cause glaucoma1

Thats smart. I guess you can limit exposure as much as possible but you can't give up your active lifestyle. It's the trade off, right? You really do seem to deal with it quite well. :goodvibes

I can't give up wearing underwear either :rotfl2:

We all deal with what we can, it's all you can do, right?

What a fabulous trip! I'm only up to Day 4 but you guys are having so much fun!

Your TL day sounds exactly like ours, it was so perfect. Awesome about the Cabana and the kids finding you :)

Dinner at 50s sounded like a hoot and a half! Most of the pictures are missing, but it sounds hilarious!

Love the MSEP pictures! You guys got some beautiful shots :) can't imagine why you wanted one of mine, yours are so much better.

As much as you're making groceries I'm surprised there was food left over.

I'll be back to respond properly but wanted to check my links for pics.

Pam, the only pics I can't see are in my Spring Break plans update and all of those are just pics of stuff I wanted to do; nothing great. I see every other photo in my updates. I wonder why you can't see them? :( I'm on my iPad and they're all there. :confused3 Bummer, because there are some good ones. Thanks for still reading even if you can't see the pics. :goodvibes I don't love a trip report without photos so I really appreciate it.

Back to my 4 am insomnia. :scared1:

I think it sounds like a lot more than it really is :rotfl2:

No. It's a lot. :thumbsup2 And good for you and Jeff.​

I think it depends on how you define issue. I've always been blessed with good metabolism, a healthy appetite and an interest in a relatively healthy lifestyle. After Eric I carried a good extra 20 pounds for about 3 years, lost it and then some once I became a single mom and got very focused on being uber healthy as I was all they had. Fast forward and I've remarried and injured myself, kids are crazy busy with school, super easy to make excuses to workout less (they need dinner, help with homework, etc etc etc) and things get softer, clothes tighter etc. About a year and a half ago I hit a wall feeling really crummy about the neck pain, how things fit (or didn't) and and just ramped it all up between working out, PT, trying to get healthy again so I could get back to the exercises I'd given up and for the first time in my life, really counted calories. Lost about 20 pounds. Which...no one noticed lol! But I did.

I hear ya. It is so easy to make up excuses to not eat healthy and skip the exercise. You look great and nothing looks soft that shouldn't. :rotfl2: And brava for deciding to really get healthy for yourself and your kids post divorce. I can see how it would be very easy to sink into a depression and lose yourself. You really could mentor other single moms.​

I don't count anymore mind you, and in the big picture it was nothing but it did show me that a little focused effort can really work. I've probably put about 5 of it back on though much of it is converted to muscle so that's ok. Biggest issue is stomach...2 babies and the inability to work that part of my body due to the neck issues well..only so much one can do.

Oh yeah, post babies the stomach is so hard to get back. After 3 c-sections, I don't know that my little pooch will every totally disappear. I don't fret over it though.

Muscle weight doesn't count on the scale, only flabby weight. And I agree, a little focussed effort really does help. It helps a lot. Being mindful of what I put into my body helps keep me on track. Mindless eating was a very hard habit for me to break. Emotional eating was too. And it wasn't sad emotional eating; it was happy, let's celebrate eating.​

But yeah, if I have to run, I might as well be rewarded with a runDisney event!

You've inspired me. Michael is a runner and if I set this as a goal, even a 5k, I could squeeze in a Disney trip. The health would be the secondary benefit. :rotfl:

As far as timing, it depends on the event. Most sell out quickly and the timing of a lot of them conflict with other things which is frustrating. The DL 1/2 in 2014 (Labor Day weekend) is probably my best bet timing wise for my first event so for now I do plan to register for that which will be in early Jan I think. Registration for the WDW 1/2 will be before that race actually happens (reg in April or May, I forget, Princess reg is in June and Tink in July) so I'll have to decide then if I want to try that one as well. As I said I'd rather do the Princess but I think it will conflict with a family trip. Too early to say but hopefully I'll now by the time that comes around.

Is the DL 1/2 a 1/2 marathon? Are they all 1/2 marathons? How far is that, 13 miles? Can you walk any of it? :blush:

In the meantime I'll look to maybe do something local in the fall and then again in the spring. Not a 1/2, probably 5 or 10K or 8/10 milers or something like that. We will see. Nothing super soon that is for sure :rotfl2:

Can you run a entire 5k? I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack after 2 blocks.​

No, not nearly the side efffects but it isn't good for your skin...it can thin it, or discolor it (seems to be ok so far, sigh..though the cortizone shot I got for tennis elbow did discolor so that makes me a bit nervous). probably biggest danger is being careful with my eyes as if you get it in, it can cause glaucoma1

The eye part is scary. The rest sounds ok as long as you keep close watch on the side effects. Its always the weighing out of s/e vs symptoms, right?​

I can't give up wearing underwear either :rotfl2:

Gives a whole new meaning to the term park commando! :lmao:

We all deal with what we can, it's all you can do, right?

:goodvibes Indeed we do. We do what we can and what we feel is best at the time. Such is the journey.​

What a fabulous trip! I'm only up to Day 4 but you guys are having so much fun!

It really was so much fun. I think it's the best WDW to date but then again I always say they're the best until the next one. LOL!​

Your TL day sounds exactly like ours, it was so perfect. Awesome about the Cabana and the kids finding you :)

Funny we totally ditched them. We figured they'd figure it out. :p And they did. The cabana was amazing and such a fun treat. Can't beat half off either. I still don't know how much half off was but I am guessing around $200+​

Dinner at 50s sounded like a hoot and a half! Most of the pictures are missing, but it sounds hilarious!

I see the pictures. :confused3 Loukili was our server and I highly recommend asking for him if you're ever at 50's. I worte Disney a letter about how terrific he was and included the funny pic of him posing with the kids.​

Love the MSEP pictures! You guys got some beautiful shots :) can't imagine why you wanted one of mine, yours are so much better.

Mine always seem to be a little off center of cut off but thank you.​

As much as you're making groceries I'm surprised there was food left over.

Did you see the groceries lines up? Michael thought I was nuts. I did go a little overboard. ;)

I hear ya. It is so easy to make up excuses to not eat healthy and skip the exercise. You look great and nothing looks soft that shouldn't. :rotfl2: And brava for deciding to really get healthy for yourself and your kids post divorce. I can see how it would be very easy to sink into a depression and lose yourself. You really could mentor other single moms.​

Oh there is plenty that is soft :rotfl2: I love food (wine too lol!), exercise does at least allow for that

You've inspired me. Michael is a runner and if I set this as a goal, even a 5k, I could squeeze in a Disney trip. The health would be the secondary benefit. :rotfl:

And this is how it starts....:thumbsup2 seriously though it is a motivator for me and I have a feeling it could be an annual thing. We will see. I'm not motivated to run locally in races at all but throw Disney in there and it's a totally different ballgame!

And...more girls trips :cool1: there is a huge community out there, it's pretty cool. Another DISer inspired me to go for it. Well that and the fact that I was losing my mind on the elliptical at the gym but didn't want to work out less than I was. Seriously though....think about it! Jeff is a runner and has been very supportive. Although he tried running at "my" pace yesterday and couldn't hack it lol, had to take off. Which frankly, I'd rather, it's nice alone zen time with my music and thoughts.

Is the DL 1/2 a 1/2 marathon? Are they all 1/2 marathons? How far is that, 13 miles? Can you walk any of it? :blush:

if you go to runDisney, you can see all the different events. Many of them have 5 and 10K's. Some have half marathons, some fulls and then there is the Tower of Terror 10 miler. I'd love to do that one, it's an evening race which is WAY more my speed (not an early am girl), or the Wine and Dine Half which is also an evening one but the timing is off.

Here's how they lay out I think.

Jan: WDW Marathon Weekend (10K, 1/2, full, Goofy, Dopey). DL Tinkberbell Half (family 5K, 1/2..rumor is they may add a 10K this year)
Feb (presidents day weekend): WDW Princess Half (Family 5K, 10K, 1/2, Glass Slipper)
May: WDW Expedition Everest Challenge (5K with obstacles)
August (labor day weekend): DL 1/2 marathon (family 5K, 10K, 1/2, dumbo double)
Oct: WDW Tower of Terror 10 miler (haunted 5K, 10 miler)
Nov: Wine and Dine Half (5k, 1/2)

LOTS of folks walk any and all of these. There are some great programs out there to get you up to the distance either walking, running or a walk/run combo. General couch to 5K or 10K programs but also race specific ones for these with Jeff Galloway that you can download from the runDisney site.

I was SO tempted to sign up for the WDW 10K. It is literally days after we come back...I could have just stayed. But I couldn't, kids have to get to school, Jeff can't manage that on his own especially if it includes herding nephews. Now, if there is a 10K at the Tink...I'd love to do that too but....can't justify a trip that close as we will likely be at DL in April. I just have to be patient till next labor day I think. It's the best fit timing wise.

To not get "swept" on the races, if walking, you need to be at a 16 minute mile pace I think.

The walk/run combo plan is amazing for lots of folks and very successful and doable.

A half is 13.1 miles.

Can you run a entire 5k? I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack after 2 blocks.​

Right now, yes, I could. That's basically my normal run right now 3x a week, give or take a mile. But not much more lol. I could probably manage a 10K without dying but it'd be slow. Farthest I've gone so far is about 4.5 miles lol. Hopefully by the end of summer though a 10K is pretty doable. I'd be walking a lot I think to try a 1/2 given where I am at right now. I've only been doing this for 2 months. I bounced around a bunch trying to find a training plan that worked for me and think I've figured it out. I like goals, targets and schedules but needed it to be challenging enough, but not overly so as really my first race is most likely over a year away at the DL 1/2. I had thought that I'd do a Disney 10K first but 2 months in I admit I am leaning towards the 1/2.

The plans start slow, I found them too slow so hence the bouncing around or just kind of doing my own thing but with some good input from real runners I branched out and looked at some things I wouldn't have considered. I like the one I have now and it seems to fit with where I want to be by next August. Of course we will see how that holds true once I start running further than 4 miles...which will be either this week or next.

What is nice about the plans is literally they do take folks from the couch to a 5K in a very doable way. For me it's the learning how to breathe right that is the hardest part and then finding the right shoes. I hope someday to be at the point where I'm just out there running and enjoying it versus thinking about my pace but in the 2 months I have seen improvement for sure. Maybe not as much as I'd like but still, I have to confess, it actually doesn't totally suck. And for me, that's a HUGE admission and change on the subject of running.

Here's the thing, if your heart is pounding that much after 2 blocks, you are going too fast. That's why the Galloway method is so good as he really starts you out with a run/walk ratio that can get the cardio up slowly. You should be able to have a conversation. Maybe not the easiest one or non stop but still able to talk for sure.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term park commando! :lmao:

No kidding!

:rotfl2:

We were sat within 10 minutes and got out favorite table by the fountain:

B49CB949-3229-4E94-8627-93E693D91EEB-73356-000007ACF1AB06BB_zps5f928fbc.jpg

]​

I had to do a double take when I saw this pic because I thought that was a fairy wing coming off your back. :rotfl:

Great idea for an impromptu lunch. I haven't eaten there in a while, but wouldn't mind trying it for lunch.

Great parade spot and timing!

How could you possibly pass on the pool on a hot sunny day like that? :confused3 I would have to be passing out before I would trade a nap for the pool.

I'm probably not all the way caught up yet, but I will get there - eventually.​

It was only the 50s update that I couldn't see most of the photos, I'll go back tonight and see if I can see them.

Now I can see them, not sure what my iPad was doing to me... Too funny, that CM must love his job! Calling the boy was priceless!

Oh, and definitely not too many groceries. You guys NEEDED that food popcorn::

Ok, must stop now, I'm in sensory overload! Your birthday Club 33 lunch looked AMAZING!!!! And how super cool were those guys offering their membership cards for pictures. They must have been confident they could chase you down if you ran away with them. Yes, I admit, I would probably think about it for a fleeting second :rotfl:

MNSSHP looked like so much fun. Loved the ghost pictures.The parade looks great too.

You left the tri tip at the treehouse? You didn't want to make it at AKV?

I always manage to get SO far behind!

News from me: We're now DVC members!!! :cool1: We bought 160 points at the new Villas at the Grand Floridian. I already know that 160 points won't be enough but at least we're in.

Amanda

News from me: We're now DVC members!!! :cool1: We bought 160 points at the new Villas at the Grand Floridian. I already know that 160 points won't be enough but at least we're in.

Amanda

Welcome Home! Learn the powers of banking and borrowing...and then the temptation of "addonitis!"

Jill in CO

Amanda

Congratulations!!

Amanda

Welcome home!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations :goodvibes

Amanda

Congrats.

I'm all caught up and enjoyed every minute of it :)

Sorry about the not so cold groceries. I'm surprised they let something like that happen, glad nothing spoiled.

Your AKV view is gorgeous! How dud you get a text the room was ready when you didn't go check in? Is that part of online check-in? Or did I miss someone going over there?

Everyone raves about that holiday sandwich! I'm surprised it didn't live up to the hype.

Your BB day sounded very nice. What did the girls think of Summit Plummet? I don't think I could ever do that one.

Great quality dad time doing the beads :)

I used the links so missed most of the chatting but I did see Joshua graduated. Congratulations to Joshua!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter