louisiana

I've got a quick question for all of my Louisiana friends. We're going to be driving to WDW in July and I was wondering if any fellow drivers could give us some advice.

Here's the background info. We're a family of four (me, my wife, our 5-year old son and 2-year old son) and we're actually leaving the day before we're scheduled to check-in at WDW. We don't really want to waste a whole day, so we're driving the day before hoping to get our passes and get to Animal Kingdom right at park opening (9 a.m.).

The main thing is we're trying to decide if we should stop in Tallahassee or Gainesville and stay the night or should we drive straight through to Orlando and stay the night. We're leaning toward driving all the way and staying in the Orlando/Kissimmee area because it will be a much shorter drive to Pop Century (our resort) to get our passes and hop on a bus to AK.

The flip side is we're looking at a 12-14 hour drive to Orlando, which may be rough on the 2-year old, who gets tired of being in his car seat after about three hours. We are planning on stopping every three hours to let the kids run around, but that will turn a 12-hour drive into a 14-hour drive.

The negative to staying in Gainesville (et al) is that we're still looking at a 2-hour drive the morning we want to go to Animal Kingdom. The positive, obviously, is not having to drive the full 12-14 hours in one day.

Our last trip to WDW, we drove straight through to Fort Wilderness, but we did it from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. and our 5-year old (who was 2 at the time slept through the entire drive). Of course, the 12 hours on the road caught up to me a couple of days later when I hit a brick wall and just had to take a day off from touring to rest.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think we're asking for trouble to make the entire drive to Orlando with two kids? And secondly, can anyone suggest a decent, cheap hotel that's close to WDW so that Sunday morning when we wake up, we'll only be a short distance from getting our passes and heading out to a park?

I realize my post is long and possibly confusing, so if you need me to clear anything up, let me know. Thanks in advance for all of the advice/answers.

We are from South Lake Charles, and we usually drive to Tallahassee or Lake City. I like to make it to at least Lake City (almost to Gainesville) before stopping, because it is a shorter drive the actual day of arrival. We usually sleep in and have breakfast at the hotel. Then, we arrive in time to check in, and usually catch the afternoon parade at MK...

We will be at the world May 30th-June 8th!!!:banana: We will be leaving on May 29th (in the morning.) We are staying at SSR!!!!:cool1:

I have been searching for hotels in the Lake City area....any suggestions??

We are in North Louisiana (West Monroe) and we break up our driving since it takes between 14 and 16 hours (depending on weather and traffic). We leave at 6:00 p.m. and drive until midnight. We like to stay in Crestview (Jameson Inn is nice) and then drive the rest of the way the next day. On our way home, we drive straight through.

Kissimmee, Florida has a lot of cheap hotels located on Hwy. 192 (a/k/a West Irlo Bronson). The only one I wouldn't suggest is Days Inn near Old Town. We used to stay there but it's gotten a bit rundown in the last several years. I would check out www.floridakiss.com. They have some good specials and sometimes they have coupons on their site too.

We are from South Lake Charles, and we usually drive to Tallahassee or Lake City. I like to make it to at least Lake City (almost to Gainesville) before stopping, because it is a shorter drive the actual day of arrival. We usually sleep in and have breakfast at the hotel. Then, we arrive in time to check in, and usually catch the afternoon parade at MK...

We will be at the world May 30th-June 8th!!!:banana: We will be leaving on May 29th (in the morning.) We are staying at SSR!!!!:cool1:

I have been searching for hotels in the Lake City area....any suggestions??

I usually shop for hotels on www.hotels.com. Most of the hotels have pictures and some even have coupons.

I forgot to mention to those who drive. Don't forget to stop at the first rest area you see when you go into Alabama and Florida. There are lots of accommodation coupons in the free travel guides.

Normally we stop to visit my Dad who has a home in Wewahitchka and one near Gainesville...but we also have stayed at Comfort Suites Universal....which was awesome....slept all 5 of us with 2 Q beds & sofa bed, micro & refrig in room...GOOD free breakfast in the morning....
My blog from that is around June 2006 on tripadvisor.com (Baton Rouge Family). Last trip stayed at a Fairfield Suites which was not as good as the Comfort...but there are tons of cheap hotel rooms in Orlando....try tripadvisor.com.....I use them to find hotels.....there is a brand new hotel our side of Tallahassee that has good reviews...I would definitely rest up in a cheap hotel before 'wasting' a resort night to rest up....

I've got a quick question for all of my Louisiana friends. We're going to be driving to WDW in July and I was wondering if any fellow drivers could give us some advice.

Here's the background info. We're a family of four (me, my wife, our 5-year old son and 2-year old son) and we're actually leaving the day before we're scheduled to check-in at WDW. We don't really want to waste a whole day, so we're driving the day before hoping to get our passes and get to Animal Kingdom right at park opening (9 a.m.).

The main thing is we're trying to decide if we should stop in Tallahassee or Gainesville and stay the night or should we drive straight through to Orlando and stay the night. We're leaning toward driving all the way and staying in the Orlando/Kissimmee area because it will be a much shorter drive to Pop Century (our resort) to get our passes and hop on a bus to AK.

The flip side is we're looking at a 12-14 hour drive to Orlando, which may be rough on the 2-year old, who gets tired of being in his car seat after about three hours. We are planning on stopping every three hours to let the kids run around, but that will turn a 12-hour drive into a 14-hour drive.

The negative to staying in Gainesville (et al) is that we're still looking at a 2-hour drive the morning we want to go to Animal Kingdom. The positive, obviously, is not having to drive the full 12-14 hours in one day.

Our last trip to WDW, we drove straight through to Fort Wilderness, but we did it from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. and our 5-year old (who was 2 at the time slept through the entire drive). Of course, the 12 hours on the road caught up to me a couple of days later when I hit a brick wall and just had to take a day off from touring to rest.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you think we're asking for trouble to make the entire drive to Orlando with two kids? And secondly, can anyone suggest a decent, cheap hotel that's close to WDW so that Sunday morning when we wake up, we'll only be a short distance from getting our passes and heading out to a park?

I realize my post is long and possibly confusing, so if you need me to clear anything up, let me know. Thanks in advance for all of the advice/answers.
WE normally drive straight through. on ... (May 21) this time we have a 2 yr old, also. We plan to stop at both the AL and FL rest areas and stop places where DS2 can run around to eat. We plan to leave around 3 am, our WDW ressies are now for 22-29. We are in the midst (thinking of)of changing our plans. We were suppose to drive first to Clearwater Beach but, now we are thinking of renting a house for three nights and driving straight to orlando.But, we plan to leave time to rest for everyone (run around for DS2 & DS16) the day before. I don't want to be like you did last time and feell worn out for a ride and pushing myself for the ride. So, I would suggest a cheap hotel for the first night; so, you can enjoy yourself, too (and not get sick). Even a 2 hr ride to me is not bad (gainsville); if we do the Clearwater thing that is what we are looking at.

I also like to use Orlando travel and vistors bureau (magicard).

The Florida Welcome center is nice - (Around Pensacola).... good restrooms and a shot of free orange juice.

We stopped there last week on the way to Ft. Walton and they have the updated brochure for Disney "Times" for the next 15 days...

(Park times, show times, etc)

We usually leave early in the morning hours--2 or 3 am. Stop for breakfast around Pensacola and lunch in Ocala, then keep driving into Orlando that late afternoon. My DDs are older now but we even did this when they were little--I would put them in their carseats in their pj's & they slept till up in the morning.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think we may end up leaving very early on that Saturday morning and do like Lady Snow said and eat breakfast in Pensacola.

Any ideas for cheap hotels around Disney World? We don't need anything fancy, just a place to lay our heads and get some rest for our first day in the parks. We have the Unofficial Guide to WDW and have been slowly checking out some of the ones listed there. At some point in the next week, we'll probably make reservations at one of them.

Sometimes when we end up getting there a day earlier than planned we have actually called to see if one night is available at one of the All Stars. On occasion, they have been just as cheap as staying off site. We did this in 2007 & the DDs loved staying at All Star Movies which we hadn't done since they were really little. They had so much fun going through all the areas posing with the large character displays. They actually recreated a picture with the Dalmations & tv that they did about five years earlier. It was cute seeing the new generation picture.

We may actually do this in July as we are checking in on a Tuesday but I suspect we may get there a day earlier.

We're leaving the day before we leave, May 15th. We're going to try to leave at 3pm....We hoping to get at least to Gainesville...We'll be on the road by 8am hoping to check in by 10am...That's the plan...:cool1:

Sometimes when we end up getting there a day earlier than planned we have actually called to see if one night is available at one of the All Stars. On occasion, they have been just as cheap as staying off site. We did this in 2007 & the DDs loved staying at All Star Movies which we hadn't done since they were really little. They had so much fun going through all the areas posing with the large character displays. They actually recreated a picture with the Dalmations & tv that they did about five years earlier. It was cute seeing the new generation picture.

We may actually do this in July as we are checking in on a Tuesday but I suspect we may get there a day earlier.

I never thought of that. Maybe we can look into how much it would cost for just the room. Thanks for the idea.

Hey Louisiana;

I get to plan a trip for a co-worker! Yay!

He asked me about going during Mardi Gras. I never do this because my teens are in school and we always have to go in July for some reason...

It's he, wife (their second visit ever) and 3 little ones...6, 3, 1....

So fill me in - is this good advice to give - to go during Mardi Gras?

Hugs,
Mary

PS: - for a hotel in Orlando - I would use www.tripadvisor.com

I never thought of that. Maybe we can look into how much it would cost for just the room. Thanks for the idea.
Is this BRADY Bunch going to WDW again!?

We've driven straight through before, leaving at 3:00 a.m. and arriving shortly after 3:30 p.m. My kids weren't as young as yours, though. I think if I were to stop and spend the night, I would try to get to Tallahassee. That stretch between Pensacola and Tallahassee is a killer.

As for cheap hotels, we did stop at the welcome center around Ocala and had them get us into a hotel that night. I've also booked hotwire.com and priceline.com. I'm kindof thinking that if it were me, I'd see just how far I could make it, with the kids and all, and decide last minute whether to keep on or stop. Play it by ear.

Go Cro Bears!

Well I haven't read the whole 19 pages of this thread, but the title jumped out at me, so i'm chiming in. We are leaving Tuesday to drive all the way through to Port Canaveral. We're taking the disney cruise. We have a DS8 and DD10. This will be the longest drive we've taken with them...hoping that DVD player helps them out! We plan on leaving about 3am-4am and driving straight through. Glad to see other people from Lafayette area on here!

I'm really getting excited, we leave in a little over three weeks! We will be in Orlando May 22 - June 17th. This trip we are renting a house there. :banana:.

Penny
NE LA close to Monroe

I'm really getting excited, we leave in a little over three weeks! We will be in Orlando May 22 - June 17th. This trip we are renting a house there. :banana:.

Penny
NE LA close to Monroe
We will be there at the same time (leaving May 29th). We are staying on the grounds but we are thinking of leaving on the 21st and renting a house for three nights. We just decided this Friday. Still need to do a little more homework!!
Can't wait going to start today packing goodie bag for DS2 and toiltires bag.

Penny
NE LA close to Monroe

Hey Penny! I live in Monroe. My name is Michele. Our trips will overlap. We will be at Villas @ Wilderness Lodge May 25 - 31.:dance3::dance3::dance3:

My trip overlaps too. Daughter, 2 granddaughters (11 and 9) and I will be at Old Key West May 21 - May 28. We are flying out of Jackson.

We live in West Monroe

We ought to have a DIS meet!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter