"Magic is about deception," Eisner told NEWSWEEK

Wlat noted that the hand strap on a horse drown carriage was not real leather and he wanted it changed

That's what I think of when I think about Disney, and "Disney magic".

Disney magic means not getting by with the least you can do, but exceeding expectations.

In studying "The Disney Way" in numerous books, several facts are noted:

The Bill Clinton animitronic figure in Hall of Presidents wears a Ironman Triathlon watch. It's never visible during the performance, but the employees know it is there, thus adding to the realism.

All of the presidents who were in office prior to the invention of the sewing machine wear hand stiched clothing. No one would notice from the audience, but the employees understand the level of detail expected from them.

The gold paint on the carousel is 24 k gold leaf paint. No one knows it but the employees, but it is an example of the Disney committment to quality.

This is Disney magic. The attention to detail. The perfection in cleanliness. The fact that you should never be able to see the wizard behind the curtain.

Sadly, Eisner doesn't understand this, or decides that it's not necessary.

Originally posted by dcentity2000
Oh, come on! We're all chipping in, saying "I knew he was decieving us!" when in all probability it was a careless comment on how the magic is done, deep down :)

Occams Razor: All things being equal, the most likely explanation tends to be the right one :)
Rich::

Actually Occams Razor has more to do with parsimony , that is , if there is one explanation vs requiring several different factors to explain usually it is the least complicated that is correct.

"one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occam's razor is a logical principle attributed to the mediaeval philosopher William of Occam (or Ockham). The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed. This principle is often called the principle of parsimony"

as Land Baron pointed out, Rich, your education is just beginning...

Actually Occams Razor has more to do with parsimony , that is , if there is one explanation vs requiring several different factors to explain usually it is the least complicated that is correct.

So does that mean the reasoning Rich used as this being simply a careless comment is correct? Sounds pretty uncomplicated to me.

Originally posted by PKS44

as Land Baron pointed out, Rich, your education is just beginning...

Sounds similar? But not quite the same I admit :) Thankyou for pointing it out, you learn something new everyday :)

I think the simplest explanation is that Eisner is an idiot.

Your opinion is taken on board and will be stored in my cheeks, like a hamster, until such time as I digest it :p

Originally posted by dcentity2000
in all probability it was a careless comment on how the magic is done, deep down :)

...Your opinion is taken on board and will be stored in my cheeks, like a hamster, until such time as I digest it
Rich

look at your own words..."Careless comment" what sort of manager makes such a careless comment in a fight for his professional life?...and makes all the other choices and comments he has made lately? Idiot seems to be a very parsimonious answer.

look at your own words..."Careless comment" what sort of manager makes such a careless comment in a fight for his professional life?...and makes all the other choices and comments he has made lately? Idiot seems to be a very parsimonious answer.

No, consider...

It is far more likely that a person may say something intending it to go one way without having taken a reasonable amout of care to ensure that it would not and could not be taken any other way than for a person to be hand picked as the CEO of a multi-billion US-dollar company, save said company from extinction (as the popular view went) and then remain CEO of said comany for around 20 years and yet be so stupid as to put a hidden message in a public interview as to how he has decieved the public.

Come to that, it's mad to consider the quote anything but a reference as to how magic tricks are performed anyway. He'd have no cause to bring bad light upon himself with intention.

If he were an idiot, he would not have remained CEO of Disney for so long without you seeing straight through him, right? And OF COURSE you would have posted your concern here, on disboards, for all to see..?

Eisner strikes me as a very intelligent man, just one who may no longer be right for the job, depending upon personal view. Fitness for job does not define intelligence quotient and I do believe that if you or I were to come face to face with him in an argument, we would be totally and completely destroyed.

You do not stay CEO of a $61,000,000,000 company for 20 years without becoming quite profficient at a kind of mental judo :p

yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg

greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg

I think the simplest explanation is that Eisner is an idiot.

My next phone call will be to Kinko's to place my new bumpersticker order.

JC

Mr. dcentity,

Although innocuous in your approach, you are spreading falsehoods and propaganda at an alarming rate!! PLEASE!! Be more careful. Consider the following hidden and veiled passage as a representative example:
… a person to be hand picked as the CEO of a multi-billion US-dollar company, save said company from extinction (as the popular view went) …
Please STOP this nonsense! He did NOT save the company!! Do a bit of research. LISTEN to those who know. Learn a bit. And then stop disseminating untruths!!

Now as for the rest…
and then remain CEO of said comany for around 20 years and yet be so stupid as to put a hidden message in a public interview as to how he has decieved the public.
Yep! Hard to believe, isn’t it? I really don’t think I’ve ever witnessed a more inept individual. I will agree that it isn’t a ‘hidden’ message. Just a stupid one. One that shows his thoughtlessness. One that shows his lack of (Disney) understanding. Or, if you prefer, one that shows that he is indeed – INEPT!!!

If he were an idiot, he would not have remained CEO of Disney for so long without you seeing straight through him, right?
I have for the past seven or eight. Others here have known it from the very beginning (and with personal histories). I suggest that you read some back thread and catch up!!

And OF COURSE you would have posted your concern here, on disboards, for all to see..
Yes!!! We have!! Go and look! There is a wealth of information there!! Again, did you think that Roy started all this? Heck no!! In fact he arrived to the party rather late. And that is a little disappointing all by itself!!

Eisner strikes me as a very intelligent man
I have mixed feeling about this one. I might tend to agree with you, but then I think of all the boneheadedness that he exhibits, on an almost daily basis, and I really have to doubt it! I cannot reconcile his apparent “intelligence” with his proven ineptitude!! Can you?

I do believe that if you or I were to come face to face with him in an argument, we would be totally and completely destroyed.
Speak for yourself, sir!!

I literally salivate for the opportunity. If you can make that happen I will become your personal servant for life!!

PS: Maybe you missed my last plea. I say it a bit louder…

STOP CHANGING YOUR FONT!!!
MAKE IT BIGGER!!!

Thank you!!

Landbaron, welcome to the other side...Nice of you to come play now and again...

However, just because you repeat it often enough does not make it true. Eisner DID save the Disney Company via the power given him by the Bass Bros & Roy. It is you prepetuating "untruths." As you know, I am one who has done the research and knows the history but this dillusion of yours (along with the Walker/ Miller duo were really "ok" notion) proves you need help very quickly...I believe you have Ei$neriti$...
pirate:

You weren't behind the blowing up of Bartman's ball were you?

deception
1. The use of deceit.
2. The fact or state of being deceived.
3. A ruse; a trick.

magic
1. The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural.
2.a. The practice of using charms, spells, or rituals to attempt to produce supernatural effects or control events in nature. b. The charms, spells, and rituals so used.
3. The exercise of sleight of hand or conjuring for entertainment.
4. A mysterious quality of enchantment:

create
1. To cause to exist; bring into being.
2. To give rise to; produce.
3. To invest with an office or title; appoint.
4. To produce through artistic or imaginative effort.

I can't say that deception equals magic. I have been deceived many times, and didn't consider the experience to be magical. ;)
This was a bad choice of words for Ei$ner, but I think he said just what he meant. :p

Roam, only #4 under "magic" fits Disney. But so does #2 of "deceit" (given literary license) when using the term. I don't think deceit has to have a negative connotation. I believe it was a terribly unfortunate choice of words but it seems silly to me that anything more that face value could be read into this statement. Just my opinon though.
pirate:

Originally posted by Peter Pirate
However, just because you repeat it often enough does not make it true. Eisner DID save the Disney Company via the power given him by the Bass Bros & Roy. It is you prepetuating "untruths." As you know, I am one who has done the research and knows the history but this dillusion of yours (along with the Walker/ Miller duo were really "ok" notion) proves you need help very quickly...I believe you have Ei$neriti$...

Yeah. Wish I WAS wrong about that though, as then I wouldn't feel so annoyed at the state of play :(

Landbaron, first off, you scare me :blush:

I believe you when you say you've been posting against Eisner, no need to link them or anything :goodvibes

When it comes to a "proven" ineptitude... well, that's all a matter of opinion, isn't it? If you were to take the stockholder vote as the accurate benchmark (not recommended) then between 40 and 50% of shareholders agree with you :)

You "literally salivate for the opportunity" to come face to face with Michael Eisner and I take from your comment that you assume you would win? A bit complacent maybe? Perhaps a better way of putting it would have been "I have what I believe are good issues that would allow me to hold my own in an argument with M. Eisner". Good and neutral :) But DO remember - he's held his position for twenty years, he's managed a $61b (US) company for all that time and that doesn't exactly leave much room for stupidity. Even if you think he's made some or a lot of bad mistakes and stupid decisions, it doesn't actually make him stupid

"LISTEN to those who know" - is this a reference to yourself, or is it a reference to people like Diane Disney, who said that Eisner had done at least some good things in the past (to which I was referring)? Or both? ;)

"...you are spreading falsehoods and propaganda at an alarming rate!! ... stop disseminating untruths!! ... He did NOT save the company!! ... he is indeed – INEPT!!!" - if you can make broad statements which you regard as a given, so can I ;)

You'll become my personal servant for life?! Hot damn... ;)

I WILL defend my font to the last ;) Times is a rather nice font and looks delightful on Apple's Safari... it also looks quite nice on Windows XP's IE. If you have a hard time reading small text, I do believe that there is a menu option for enlarging the font px, under view and text size or something. If IE doesn't support this, then I suggest you try either Netscape or Mozilla :)

yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg

greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg

d2000, what happened to the original post? I liked being appreciated for a change!:p

pirate:

Originally posted by Peter Pirate
d2000, what happened to the original post? I liked being appreciated for a change!:p

pirate:

lol! Look in the 'decline of park quality' post - you have my humble respect there :)

I edited this one as the mention of the exploding head of rage was not really conducive to good relations with the poor guy I had cited!

Nevertheless, here is the original appreciation, as far as I can remember:

Whew! Thankyou sir! I was terrified until I read that...

And indeed I was :D

Happy surfing from Simba Cub

yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg

greensmall.jpg
pinksmall.jpg
yellowsmall.jpg
purplesmall.jpg
greensmall.jpg

Eisner DID save the Disney Company via the power given him by the Bass Bros & Roy.
Not quite, my good Pirate!! And what of Frank! Nothing!? Now, let’s see… What did Ei$ner really do?

OH! YES!! He totally screwed up EuroDisney!! Yes! He did do that. Good save there, wasn’t it? What else…

YES! He sold a lot of videos – Ah! Well! No! That was Frank. What else?…

YES!! He put out little Mermaid!! Ah, well – no again! That was a project started by Walker/Miller and completed by Katzenberg! OK! Let’s try again…

OH!! Of course! He started Touchston… No. I guess he didn’t. That was Walker/Miller AGAIN! Ok. Let’s really think hard now… Let’s see… Ummmmm….. Well…

Hey! There isn’t anymore!! Unless, of course, you count overbuilding WDW, randomly, haphazardly, with total disregard to infrastructure and transportation. I guess you can also count the nearly limitless price hikes, building half size parks, DCA, Dinorama, Pre$$ler, (am I forgetting anything… oh yeah!) and the absolute disregard he has for any of the parks or the CMs as exemplified by the cutting of Traditions!! (And I didn’t even mention the SUCK-O hours or the most important, the radical change in philosophy from a customer oriented service into a commodity driven profit center (all the while STEALING nearly a BILLION dollars for his own pocket!)

Yeah boy!! That was one heck of a white knight that rode in to save the company!!! Another save like that we really can kiss it goodbye!!

I believe you have Ei$neriti$...
You are right! But I come by it honestly! I LOVE the Walt philosophy! And Ei$ner has infected it!!

(ps: Come on! Admit it Mr. Pirate. It was fun putting the “$” in Ei$neriti$, wasn’t it?)

Landbaron, first off, you scare me
I don’t mean to. I just have a passion for Walt’s philosophical way of doing business. I don’t care much for stock quote, billion dollar distribution deals or any of the other nonsense that takes away from the core philosophy that brought me to the dance in the first place. I don’t know what captivated you about Disney enough to post on a website, but for me it was a real chandelier in a fifty cent hot dog joint. It was Mickey head butter. It was a real tree in a restaurant that tried to (and did) evoke an outdoor feeling. It was about all the little things that Ei$ner & crew has taken away from us over the past twenty years.

From your age, you never experienced it. What you see in Disney today is a mere shadow of what it once was. That is why I encourage you to go back and do a little listening and learning. You’ve really got a lot of catching up to do. From about 1955 or so. Learn it!! It is an amazing story.

You "literally salivate for the opportunity" to come face to face with Michael Eisner and I take from your comment that you assume you would win?
Not necessarily. I would just like to vent!! He has been a thorn in my side since July of 1998! And the more I learn about him, the more I am convinced that he single-handedly, and greedily, destroyed MY Disney (Yes! I claim ownership since 1968!!!)

LISTEN to those who know" - is this a reference to yourself, or is it a reference to people like Diane Disney, who said that Eisner had done at least some good things in the past (to which I was referring)? Or both?
Both. But not necessarily me as there are others here who know far more than me!! But with all (including myself) with a grain of salt. Or at least a perspective of their ‘agenda’.

But while we’re on subject I would like to know what good things he did? I maintain that there was nothing of substance that HE did. OH! There was some that was already in place. And some that the Imagineers slipped by him. But there was NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING that he did on his own that was ever any good! If you disagree, please point it out! Others have tried. NONE have succeeded!

Have fun!

PS: Try a little size adjustment. {size=3} and then {/size} (with normal brackets of course)

I’m getting a headache reading your stuff!! And if I change my screen the other posts are ridiculously TOO BIG!!

Try it! PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'm not much into boycotting, but I agree with Landbaron for once. ;) If DisneyCentury2000 doesn't start posting with bigger font, I'm just gonna boycott his posts, even though they are hilarious to read. It is just too hard on me eyes.

Through the squint and magnifying glass, I thought I read that Ei$ner is now getting credit for everything good that happened the first ten years. Is that right, good Pirate? But wouldn't that make you disagree with DisneyCentury2000 when he says we should not get rid of Ei$ner until 2006? Because you have now gone on record as saying that Ei$ner has lost it the last ten years....ah....what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

My take, and I believe it is the Element's take, is that we have no opinion on Ei$ner's first ten years. We believe it was the creative spirit from many talented persons, and a pent-up demand for Disney products, services, parks, and movies that led Ei$ner to ride a wonderful wave.

And then he started cuttin'! Cutting staff, cutting investment, cutting creativity, cutting hours, cutting perks...the infamous 10/10 solution (which DisneyCentury2000 conveniently forgets to mention) will NEVER be forgotten by this writer. 10/10 and the quote posted in my sig are the DEFINING words of the Ei$ner Era.

To me, they are proof that Ei$ner couldn't stop the Disney train from pulling out of the station from 1984-1993, but since he has seized control of the board, he has turned Disney into Ei$nerland in his pathetic attempt at a grab at the giant brass ring.

And don't get me started on his inability to tell the truth....

I personally don't like to speculate about Eisner's intelligence for two reasons:

1- It really would be speculation on my part.
2- Its irrelevant.

What is relevant? He isn't doing a good job. He hasn't been for at least 10 years or so. Prior to that, we get into speculation again (or at the least, the realm of the 'unproveable'). I happen to think that he never really got it, but the company succeeded due to the strong team in place, including Wells. Again, though, irrelevant at this point.

So, what's the simplest explanation for the quote?

Given that his actions back-up the negative connotations assigned to the quote, I'd say we have a winner. No assumptions necessary.

Believing that he meant it as the Benevolent Provider of Dreams requires assumptions that he did not mean the quote literally, and that his actions are driven against his will by an alien force from another galaxy. A force that is seeking dominion over our planet through the systematic destruction of the Disney guest experience.

But I digress. The quote doesn't mean anything either way. His actions and performance have defined him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter