Marathon Weekend 2018

This is almost exactly what I faced for a couple of years. I was consistently running HMs at 1:50-1:52, but my marathons wouldn't drop below 4:20. I worked with a running coach and he told me that my problem was not running enough miles/week. At the time I was running 40 miles/week. He gave a training plan to get my base up to 45 miles/week and recommended that I peak at 70 miles/week during my training buildup for my next marathon. That got me under 4:00 for the first time. So, for me, it was mileage.

I suspect mileage is part of my issue. Even with long runs in the 18-20 mile range, I've been getting gassed and struggling to maintain my pace after the 13-14 mile point. I have 3 daughters, work 1.5 jobs when it's nice out and am the family chauffer most nights as my kids. Not complaining and I know I'm not the only person on these boards with a similar work/life load, but it does make it difficult for me to run as much as I'd like. I also have dealt with injuries that have forced me to scale back how many days I run each week in hopes of not getting hurt again.

I'm hoping by taking a little break after this last marathon that I can get my body reset and be 100 percent when training starts again. I'm trying to convince myself to incorporate yoga into my "off season," as well.

I love the long runs too but 20 is plenty far enough for me. Some people prefer running every day and others like the days off; I'm the latter. I know a guy here in town who has gone more than a year without missing a day. Everyone is different...

I would prefer to run every day, but I asked @DopeyBadger to incorporate 1 day off per week into my plan because sometimes I just don't want to juggle the crazy 3-kid/work/life schedule and a run. I didn't say "can't" because I've seen the every day approach - my dad was like the guy in your town. He ran every day for 500 days without missing one when I was a kid. It rained and snowed on him a lot!

I would prefer to run every day, but I asked @DopeyBadger to incorporate 1 day off per week into my plan because sometimes I just don't want to juggle the crazy 3-kid/work/life schedule and a run. I didn't say "can't" because I've seen the every day approach - my dad was like the guy in your town. He ran every day for 500 days without missing one when I was a kid. It rained and snowed on him a lot!

I’m the crazy guy that runs outdoors yearround, but running 500 days straight isn’t gonna happen!

I had an almost-year long running streak going until I had some hip issues (since diagnosed and generally not overly bothersome). I have tried to re-start it, but somehow starting over is a lot harder! I still love the idea of running every day for a year though :)

I had an almost-year long running streak going until I had some hip issues (since diagnosed and generally not overly bothersome). I have tried to re-start it, but somehow starting over is a lot harder! I still love the idea of running every day for a year though :)

So in 2011, when I ran Boston, I was behind a guy with a hand-written Tshirt. It commented about how he had a 1000+ day running streak going on....until he had his heart attack, which cost him 4 days before he started running again-in the hospital! He was now in the midst of a new streak. I wasn't quite sure what to think!

So in 2011, when I ran Boston, I was behind a guy with a hand-written Tshirt. It commented about how he had a 1000+ day running streak going on....until he had his heart attack, which cost him 4 days before he started running again-in the hospital! He was now in the midst of a new streak. I wasn't quite sure what to think!

I recently saw a segment on Real Sports about a guy who lives in Miami and has run 8 miles everyday for over 40 years. He even managed to run the day the hurricane hit a few months ago by running back and forth in this tiny space in the courtyard or somewhere like that. He has quite the following. People show up and run with him all the time. Definitely has a Forrest Gump vibe to him!

As always Sundays are for Disney. I hope everyone had a great week. I started mine off today with a 10K PR!

Today's question:

Which of the Disney "mountain" rides is your favorite? (Big Thunder, Splash, Space)

My answer: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I have always loved this attraction. Since I could first ride it I have to do it at least once ever trip.

As always Sundays are for Disney. I hope everyone had a great week. I started mine off today with a 10K PR!

Today's question:

Which of the Disney "mountain" rides is your favorite? (Big Thunder, Splash, Space)

Congratulations on the shiny new PR! My answer to the question is "none of them". I'm not a ride person. Can't stand the feeling or illusion of falling, even if strapped in. I did accidentally ride Space Mountain on my first ever trip to Disney and that was enough to put me off all "mountaineering".

Splash. Like them all, but Splash Mountain will always be my favorite ride at Disney World. It was the new attraction when I went to the parks as a kid, so it was the one ride we had to do(I realize they were all new to us, but it had that elementary school buzz);it didn’t disappoint. It also does a great job threading the needle as a water ride that doesn’t get you so wet that it changes the rest of your day. I don’t ride Kali River Rapids because I don’t want to walk around soaking wet all day and wearing a poncho on a ride seems like it defeats the purpose.

ATTQODTD: Space!.

I grew up in Florida in the 70s, so made lots of trips to Disney. We would line up at rope drop (although I don't think we knew it was called that) and RUN (yes, run, not walk) to Space Mountain. I think the best we ever did was 3rd in line.

BTW, that part of the half/marathon course always brings back those same memories: can I cut a second by cutting behind that trash can?

Congrats @rteetz on your PR!

ATQOTD: I really think that I have to go with Splash but Space is a really close second for me. I really love riding Splash right around sunset and seeing that view before the final drop.

How is everybody's training going? I got a late start on the day so I'm pushing my run off for a little bit since I just finally ate for the first time today. Got 7 miles on tap, via Higdon. This will be the end of week 3 of serious training for me. I was already in 10 miler/half condition so I started marathon training a little bit "behind" schedule.

Work has been insane for the last two weeks. I'm one of the supervisors in a warehouse. We're already short staffed, so of course the only employee under me would quit, and then two days later, we'd have layoffs throughout the company and lose two more warehouse employees to that :sad2:. I work for a toy company so September/October through the end of the year is already normally insanely busy as it is. In the past, I've always let training fall to the wayside as work got this busy. However, I learned my lesson two years ago when I let marathon training fall the wayside and then went into the Philly Marathon VERY under trained and got hurt. So, I'm keeping up with my training so far and it's really proving to be beneficial mentally for me. Even after working 10 or 11 hours (of being on my feet, running around), coming home and putting on my running shoes and getting out on the road for 30-60 minutes has been a real bright spot. My feet aren't always too happy about it, but the rest of me is. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter