Marathon Weekend 2018

I'm very much like @lhermiston - my two marathons this year were 4:26 and 4:35. In good weather conditions, my HM is around 1:52/1:53, so my McMillan estimate (based on HM POT) says I should be able to run a marathon in 3:58. OK, maybe!
This is almost exactly what I faced for a couple of years. I was consistently running HMs at 1:50-1:52, but my marathons wouldn't drop below 4:20. I worked with a running coach and he told me that my problem was not running enough miles/week. At the time I was running 40 miles/week. He gave a training plan to get my base up to 45 miles/week and recommended that I peak at 70 miles/week during my training buildup for my next marathon. That got me under 4:00 for the first time. So, for me, it was mileage.

I am using a DopeyBadger plan to train for a marathon on November 5th. Then we'll see if he gets the rights to WDW marathon training plan...

:P

Of course, I can't complain. I've already set 1 mile, 5k, and 7k PRs during one race, and I set a 10k PR during a normal training run. I'm running long runs easily at a pace that I was racing half marathons at back in the summer. So I think I can see the benefit!

I love Hanson.
Me too!

As for marathon training I'm on the "stop falling & hurting myself plan would be nice"! I'm pretty sure my ribs are bruised from my file cabinet fall the other night, but I'm still be able to get out and run/walk just not my regular paces or as many miles this week. Hoping next week will be better as our weather looks lovely.

---Or more so I take the ideas from Higdon plans and incoporate them into my own. I prefer 6 days of running but sometimes it's just 5 due to my schedule/weather. I like getting a speed work out in every week.

I'm a 31 year old female that grew up with Hanson. No shame here!

Time to head to Epcot's Eat to the Beat Concert Series! (pssst I'll be getting an mmmhops from Fife & Drum on 11/1)
  • 10/30 – 11/1 – Hanson (“MMMBop”)

I wish! Our trip to Italy we're currently on took our vacation time so no extended Wine and Dine trip - just a long weekend. I'm ok with this because of all the food and wine. I'm scared of the scale when we get home.

Okay gang, let’s talk marathon training plans.

I finished my first marathon in about 4:22 and my second in about 4:32. I’m not disappointed in either time, but I think I have it in me to get closer to 4:00.

For both races, I’ve relied on a “first time” marathon guide that was all about finishing upright. Not speed work. No intervals. Just distance. Now that I have a couple marathons under my belt, I’d like to upgrade my training a bit.

I’m curious what plans you all use, what they entail, cost, etc. My next marathon is planned for late April and I plan to start training in January.

Thanks in advance!

My first marathon was Disney 2015. I started training for it in Jan. 2014 from a base of 30 years of running 12 miles/week simply for some base level of fitness. I rarely ran more than 4 miles at a time. I gradually worked my mileage up during the year, to the point that I was running 30 to 35 miles/week over the summer. Then I trained on the Higdon Intermediate 2 plan during the Fall and ran a 3:52 at Disney.

I've used the Higdon Intermediate 2 plan for every marathon since and I don't vary it much. Training for this last marathon I ran more pace runs than I usually do and more hills as well. This was also my 3rd marathon training cycle this year so I have a lot of miles in the bank... and I think that was the main factor contributing to a PR. I simply didn't slow down in the last 10k.

The Higdon Intermediate 2 is free (just google it). It involves 5 days of running and long runs on Sunday (my favorite part of it. I love getting up very early, running the roads alone and listening to audiobooks.)

This is almost exactly what I faced for a couple of years. I was consistently running HMs at 1:50-1:52, but my marathons wouldn't drop below 4:20. I worked with a running coach and he told me that my problem was not running enough miles/week. At the time I was running 40 miles/week. He gave a training plan to get my base up to 45 miles/week and recommended that I peak at 70 miles/week during my training buildup for my next marathon. That got me under 4:00 for the first time. So, for me, it was mileage.

Wow! That's a lot of miles! I've never run more than 50 miles in a week, the peak on Higdon Intermediate 2. I'd be afraid of injuring myself at 70 miles. Even at 50 I need that lower mileage week that comes after on Higdon 2 to recover. What's your long run on a 70 mile week?

Okay gang, let’s talk marathon training plans.

I finished my first marathon in about 4:22 and my second in about 4:32. I’m not disappointed in either time, but I think I have it in me to get closer to 4:00.

For both races, I’ve relied on a “first time” marathon guide that was all about finishing upright. Not speed work. No intervals. Just distance. Now that I have a couple marathons under my belt, I’d like to upgrade my training a bit.

I’m curious what plans you all use, what they entail, cost, etc. My next marathon is planned for late April and I plan to start training in January.

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to be an outlier, I'm sure. But up until recently, I have used a FIRST plan of 3 days running /week and not extremely high mileage. I have had good success with it. So after I ran my first marathon, at 4:09, I used the FIRST plan and ran a 3:53, and 1:48 1/2. It worked for me--i.e. my 5k/10k/1/2 and full times are pretty much consistent with one another.

Last edited:
I'm going to be an outlier, I'm sure. But up until recently, I have used a FIRST plan of 3 days running /week and not extremely high mileage. I have had good success with it. So after I ran my first marathon, at 4:05, I used the FIRST plan and ran a 3:53, and 1:48 1/2. It worked for me--i.e. my 5k/10k/1/2 and full times are pretty much consistent with one another.

Just curious, did you do cross training on the other days? Strength training?

Wow! That's a lot of miles! I've never run more than 50 miles in a week, the peak on Higdon Intermediate 2. I'd be afraid of injuring myself at 70 miles. Even at 50 I need that lower mileage week that comes after on Higdon 2 to recover. What's your long run on a 70 mile week?
First, I haven't done this in a few years. I am now 50 and my mileage will top out at 57 for the Goofy training. My typical marathon training now tops out at about 50.

But, to answer your question, my 70 mile week included a long run of 28 miles. I have gone as high as 30 miles in marathon prep, but that is mostly because I love those long runs. Now my long runs top out at 24, and that is probably too high, but I love it. :confused3

ETA - also consider that I often run 7 days/week. During last years Dopey training, I ran almost 200 consecutive days. My legs are stronger if I don't take days off.

Just curious, did you do cross training on the other days? Strength training?

I cross train on the other days--cycling (in or out or spin class), occasional swimming. I also do yoga at least 2-3 x/week. I do try to woork in strength training--but I am not as rigorous about that as yoga.

First, I haven't done this in a few years. I am now 50 and my mileage will top out at 57 for the Goofy training. My typical marathon training now tops out at about 50.

But, to answer your question, my 70 mile week included a long run of 28 miles. I have gone as high as 30 miles in marathon prep, but that is mostly because I love those long runs. Now my long runs top out at 24, and that is probably too high, but I love it. :confused3

ETA - also consider that I often run 7 days/week. During last years Dopey training, I ran almost 200 consecutive days. My legs are stronger if I don't take days off.

I love the long runs too but 20 is plenty far enough for me. Some people prefer running every day and others like the days off; I'm the latter. I know a guy here in town who has gone more than a year without missing a day. Everyone is different...

I had a disturbing thought while out running 8 easy miles in the rain this morning......I am actually looking forward to running Dopey! I realize that may sound weird, but I am not the type to approach races with a "joie de vivre" attitude. Races are usually serious, nerve-wracking events. I don't race often, and when I do it is always with a desired competitive outcome.

But Dopey is different. I can't "race" 4 races, so--as a mantra of an old management training program I took declared--I have "released the outcome". The thought of running the races at an easy pace has some appeal.

OTOH, if I could just maintain my easy pace through the whole marathon, I still have a chance to BQ, so there is that nagging little thing. Fortunately, that will figure itself out on race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter