Kinda bummed they aren't including Pandora when we run through DAK - that was so cool at Star Wars and W&D. Also wish they would figure out a way to add distance without that AWFUL out and back bit around mile 11 before DAK! Also wish we got to run around WS at the end of the half.
Here's hoping the merch is better than it has been at all of the rD events this year!

More runners for this makes it a lot more difficult to navigate Pandora. Add in the normal park crowd and yeah it’s just not realistic to run through Pandora for the marathon sadly.

I wonder if they'll have any characters on the course from the new Mary Poppins movie.

I know they normally have some Mary Poppins characters out as were exiting MK during the Marathon. Curious if it will get changed up for the new movie.

How can we get Lin out there on the course.....

Oh dear lord can you imagine the line if he was out on the course?

For you park experts in here: I see that DHS closes at 8:00 PM on Saturday, 1/12, but the Star Wars fireworks are at 8:30 PM. Does that mean it’s only for After Hours Guests, and day guests will be kicked out before it starts?

For you park experts in here: I see that DHS closes at 8:00 PM on Saturday, 1/12, but the Star Wars fireworks are at 8:30 PM. Does that mean it’s only for After Hours Guests, and day guests will be kicked out before it starts?
Day guests will be able to watch - they just wont allowed on any rides

Can you give us some insight to what you like about the course... I'm new to marathon wknd, have done star wars and wine and dine and I know sometimes open road does not always mean boring with Disney. Any cool stops to be aware of??? thanks in advance
They do - there are definitely sets and characters along World Dr for photo stops! Off the top of my head I remember the pirate ship with Jack and Barbosa, but can't remember the others - I rarely stop. I'm a slower runner starting from the later corrals and the beauty of the wide, open highway section is room for thousands of runners to spread out, IMO. I like having that space to get into a groove, find my own rhythm and not feel "stuck" at whatever pace the herds are going in the narrower early and MK sections.

Fantasmic starts at 8:00 PM and then at 8:30 PM the fireworks kick-off! For ALL guests!

That Half Marathon course is the worst.
I keep telling myself that I get to run through the Magic Kingdom finally. But I've heard so many complaints about the course that I'm prepared for it to be mostly boring.

I'm a baseball fan and I was looking forward to that part. And for me, it was a blur. I remember them calling my name, but it was my first marathon and first Run Disney event and I was really tired, but when I got into the stadium, I was all the way around the track before I realized it. That and the track energized me, at least for a little bit. Could have also been because just as I came into ESPN, I finally discovered BioFreeze.
Having run through 2 MLB stadiums now (Angels Stadium and AT&T Park in San Francisco), I'm preparing myself mentally for this to be not as exciting as that. Still should be good though. I will never forget the rush of running through an MLB stadium for the very first time.

I wonder if they'll have any characters on the course from the new Mary Poppins movie.
I wouldn't be surprised. 2012 Wine & Dine had Wreck It Ralph on the course and 2015 Star Wars had characters from the recently debuted animated show Star Wars Rebels.

Magicband came! I am ready to go.
The one for my little sister has shipped.

@rteetz I really do hope one day you take my suggestion of re-purposing a wrestling championship belt to look like a giant magic band and running with it on!!! It's not too late to do this in January!
Now this would be awesome.

I'm ok with the half marathon course because I want all of the glory of running through the castle with only half the calories.
I like that it goes through new Fantasyland. I feel like there might be some good atmosphere photo opportunities there.

I declined Magicbands.

I’m going to be using my new Dooney Dogs one exclusively and my husband will switch between Boba Fett and Stormtroopers
I declined a new generic one for me as well. I think I'll take my Last Jedi for the parks, a backup for the races, and possibly get a new one because why not.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself that I get to run through the Magic Kingdom finally. But I've heard so many complaints about the course that I'm prepared for it to be mostly boring.

Princess Half this year was my first time to run through MK and the anticipation of finally being able to do it kept me entertained those first few miles. Then I was going through the resorts still riding the high of running through the castle, plus the great crowd support, I was shocked when we hit the 15K mat; I was having such a good time! I could definitely see how it could be boring- miles 10-12 dragged on, but I really enjoyed it!

Having run through 2 MLB stadiums now (Angels Stadium and AT&T Park in San Francisco), I'm preparing myself mentally for this to be not as exciting as that. Still should be good though. I will never forget the rush of running through an MLB stadium for the very first time.

Definitely not as big as the MLB stadiums, but still pretty cool. The spectators are awesome. I did like Angels Stadium during the DL Half. Haven't been to AT&T yet but despite being a Dodgers fan, that and PNC Park in Pittsburgh are the two top parks I haven't visited yet where I want to see a game. LA Marathon was nice because it starts in the Dodger Stadium parking lot and even though you don't run through it, they let us hang out in there pre-race. I did a Camp Gladiator workout earlier this year just because it was in Rangers Stadium. They're having a 5K there too this year that I'll probably do. But I go in with Take Me Out to the Ballgame and Centerfield cued up on the iPod and for me, it's a nice little boost of energy 20 miles into the race.

I love the Half course even after doing it six times. I can see myself doing it almost yearly for the foreseeable future, and I’d be sad if they changed it significantly. If you love running at Disney, there’s a decent chance you’ll love it anyway.

Princess Half this year was my first time to run through MK and the anticipation of finally being able to do it kept me entertained those first few miles. Then I was going through the resorts still riding the high of running through the castle, plus the great crowd support, I was shocked when we hit the 15K mat; I was having such a good time! I could definitely see how it could be boring- miles 10-12 dragged on, but I really enjoyed it!
I hope that running through the MK for the first time will help alleviate any course frustration. The whole running through Disney World thing is why I chose that for my first marathon.

Definitely not as big as the MLB stadiums, but still pretty cool. The spectators are awesome. I did like Angels Stadium during the DL Half. Haven't been to AT&T yet but despite being a Dodgers fan, that and PNC Park in Pittsburgh are the two top parks I haven't visited yet where I want to see a game. LA Marathon was nice because it starts in the Dodger Stadium parking lot and even though you don't run through it, they let us hang out in there pre-race. I did a Camp Gladiator workout earlier this year just because it was in Rangers Stadium. They're having a 5K there too this year that I'll probably do. But I go in with Take Me Out to the Ballgame and Centerfield cued up on the iPod and for me, it's a nice little boost of energy 20 miles into the race.
I always think of the end music from The Natural when I run through baseball stadiums. I'm biased as a Giants fan, but AT&T Park really is beautiful. Not a bad view in the house, though some are better than others as at all ballparks. I'm surprised that the Dodgers races do not actually go through their stadium.

@hotblooded That's good to know. At the very least, it's a new course for me so that should be enjoyable.

OK. So I'm FINALLY caught up with the Etsy order that would NEVER EVER end for Marathon Weekend and I'm finally getting to finishing up Mousekeeter shirts.

If I'm making one for you, can you message me what name you want on the front AND if you want me to send it to you (and an address) or if you just want me to bring it to Marathon Weekend. I'm aiming to have them all finished to mail out by the end of the week.

This portion of the marathon is super fuzzy for me. Combination of sugar and caffeine had me pretty lightheaded until I downed a bunch of water. I remember none of what you described, ha ha.

I do remember this.... remember hearing my name called and deliriously thinking "Wait, what?" WWOS was my downfall in 2017.

So the question of the day: do I wash the blood off my marathon shoes or leave it for character? :rotfl2:

Always. keep. the. blood.

I hope that running through the MK for the first time will help alleviate any course frustration. The whole running through Disney World thing is why I chose that for my first marathon.

It's also nice to run through MK early in the race when you're fresh. I have VERY vague memories of AK (especially after that 7-mile stretch of nothing but highway) and DHS from the 2017 marathon and some better ones from Epcot (the inspiration to just finish the thing). WWOS mostly sucked for me and went on way too long, outside of running in the baseball stadium.

Jealous of all the magic bands! We’re using old ones since we are staying at the Dolphin...so no exciting Mickey mail.

Lin did an interview at Disneyland a few weeks ago and it was HIS FIRST TIME THERE EVER. How crazy is that!?

Can we also bring in John Krasinski if we are requesting his wife's presence. I would stand in all the lines and get swept to meet John Krasinski. :lovestruc

I like this idea. He was my college orientation counselor!

So, according to the race guide, if I’m doing Dopey and don’t want any merch, I only need to go to the arena?

That sounds pretty easy and low impact.

Or...are Dopey shirts in the arena and the goofy, full, half, etc. shirts in another location? That is ... less ideal.

All of the Dopey shirts should be rolled up together in one bag. So it should only be one stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter