Marathon Weekend 2020

You can just run the first mile and then wait to be swept, as has been discussed so much on these boards :duck:

Ok, so I clearly haven't poked around enough.... But they really give the medals to people that get swept???!!! Seems like a rip to those that make the effort to finish!!
Actual pictures of the medals are starting to leak out. Here's what I've been able to compile. My initial impressions are largely being borne out. The only medals that look worthy (to me) of a RunDisney event are the Castaway Cay Challenge (which looks awesome!), Goofy and the 5k. Oswald's flat, depth-less medal looks completely phoned-in. I'm not sure why they forced him on the 10k if that was all the love they were going to give him. The marathon is OK, but lacks the attention to details that I expect from RunDisney's signature event.

I was waiting to weigh in on the medal conversation until I saw actual pics. This will be my first RD event so I know I don't have anything to compare these medals to, but I kinda like them! Not super crazy about the 5 and 10k. They seem to be "okay"... but I really like the rest of them! Especially Dopey and Goofy!!

The Castaway Cay one is really, really nice. I think they were going for an Olympics vibe on these. I don’t think this will be my favorite marathon medal, but I’ll be glad to cross the finish line and get it.
My favorite Disney medal that I have (of nine possibilities) is the 2014 Princess Half. I liked last year’s marathon medal, although Mickey looked pretty intense, almost angry. I really like the 2014 W&D, too. The 2018 Enchanted 10k is also nice. Which ones are the favorites for everyone else?

Goofy looks amazing, IMO! I think the Marathon medal is fine, but agree it's nowhere near the level of past Mickey medals. And it's going to stick out like a sore thumb next to my previous 4 when I do photos of all 5 together. (What can I say? I'm an art geek and amateur photographer: I don't care about medal, except insomuch as they look good when I do artsy photography with them!) Oswald... I just don't get it.

The Castaway Cay one is really, really nice. I think they were going for an Olympics vibe on these. I don’t think this will be my favorite marathon medal, but I’ll be glad to cross the finish line and get it.
My favorite Disney medal that I have (of nine possibilities) is the 2014 Princess Half. I liked last year’s marathon medal, although Mickey looked pretty intense, almost angry. I really like the 2014 W&D, too. The 2018 Enchanted 10k is also nice. Which ones are the favorites for everyone else?

1. Marathon 17
2. 5K 19
3. Marathon 19
4. HM 19
5. Goofy 19
6. Dopey 19
7. 10K 19

P.S. I LOVE ranking things. Thanks for this opportunity, ha ha.

Ok, so I clearly haven't poked around enough.... But they really give the medals to people that get swept???!!! Seems like a rip to those that make the effort to finish!!
Maybe it's been a few years but definitely been a topic of discussion... such as, what if you truly put in the training but something happens on the race course, and you got to mile 20 and got swept? Does the medal represent just that day or the months of training? And then someone inevitably mentions somebody who never trained and deliberately stops to get swept and then posts her medals on instagram without mentioning the fact that she was swept, etc. etc. I don't have a strong opinion either way to be honest, I wouldn't want a medal if I didn't finish, but lots of people feel pretty strongly about it. Last I heard they do give you a medal when they bus you to the finish. Knock wood I hope I never find out first hand. I already half regret bringing it up.

Actual pictures of the medals are starting to leak out. Here's what I've been able to compile. My initial impressions are largely being borne out. The only medals that look worthy (to me) of a RunDisney event are the Castaway Cay Challenge (which looks awesome!), Goofy and the 5k. Oswald's flat, depth-less medal looks completely phoned-in. I'm not sure why they forced him on the 10k if that was all the love they were going to give him. The marathon is OK, but lacks the attention to details that I expect from RunDisney's signature event.

I actually like most of the medals much much more than the renderings...except the 10K. That one is still pretty lackluster. A bit disappointed because I thought the Oswald medal was one of the best medals in 2019 even though most people seemed to hate it. Overall, however, I think last years medals were far better/blingier.

1. Marathon 17
2. 5K 19
3. Marathon 19
4. HM 19
5. Goofy 19
6. Dopey 19
7. 10K 19

P.S. I LOVE ranking things. Thanks for this opportunity, ha ha.
So agree about marathon 2017 medal. It was great to have that bling to commemorate my first ever marathon. The Dopey this year is going to be my first marathon since then, and I am bummed to not have the added excitement of a set of Dopey medals that is *aesthetically* worth loving.

Saw some more pics on Instagram. I love the Goody Medal! Love! Pretty excited about the Marathon one too. Digging the 5k but wish Pluto’s eyes were open. The only think I like about the 10k is that it’s black and thus totally different from any medal I have. I do think they could have done much better on that one! Looking forward to seeing Dopey and Donald.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter