Marathon Weekend 2021

I guess I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with virtual races and not deriving a lot of value from them.

I guess if a virtual races motivates me to run more often/longer, then it’s worth it?
I like to travel to my marathons, it’s all part of the fun, seeing new places. kudos to those getting their kicks virtually, but it ain’t for me 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am gutted Chicago marathon has been binned, was really looking forward to it. With most (all?) of the major autumn marathons being chopped when do we think Disney will make a definitive decision on marathon weekend ?

Does anyone know if they'll be opening up more runDisney Kids Dashes spots? The website says Check Back for Updates on the kids page while every other page says sold out.

My 6 yo wants to try out one of the dashes and we already have a vacation reservation for that weekend.

I am gutted Chicago marathon has been binned, was really looking forward to it. With most (all?) of the major autumn marathons being chopped when do we think Disney will make a definitive decision on marathon weekend ?

My best guess is that RunDisney won’t announce any kind of cancellation for Marathon Weekend until November, unless circumstances/local government dictate an earlier decision due to banning of large events through a date range including MW. They reduced the number of bibs available for the race, indicating that they plan to hold it, if at all possible. I think they’ll wait as late as possible to pull the pluglike they did for Star Wars.

Does anyone know if they'll be opening up more runDisney Kids Dashes spots? The website says Check Back for Updates on the kids page while every other page says sold out.

My 6 yo wants to try out one of the dashes and we already have a vacation reservation for that weekend.

No insider info here, but I wouldn’t count on any kids races being held until the pandemic is fully under control. I think it highly unlikely that there will be kids races at MW or Princess.

They have to pull W&D first which was sold out at full capacity only a week before the closure happened
I know SW registration is in Aug so I’d like to think they will give some kind of status updates around then though I wouldn’t be shocked if they hold out on canceling until the 60 day out mark

They have to pull W&D first which was sold out at full capacity only a week before the closure happened
I know SW registration is in Aug so I’d like to think they will give some kind of status updates around then though I wouldn’t be shocked if they hold out on canceling until the 60 day out mark

60 days is a good shout, ties in with ADRs. Very plausible

No insider info here, but I wouldn’t count on any kids races being held until the pandemic is fully under control. I think it highly unlikely that there will be kids races at MW or Princess.
Thanks for the info. You're probably right. Was just curious.

Also, I should have been specific...Marathon weekend Jan. 2021. But still, I could see them not holding races even then.

SAFD: Tough one but I'd say I have a Mickey Mouse t-shirt I bought last summer that I love. It's just pretty basic but light weight and with a full-sized Mickey on it. I wear it regularly. I also have a ballcap I bought at Epcot that says on the front "If you can read this" and on the back "Thank the Phoenicians"

My favorite souvenir is my Squirt the turtle stuffed animal from my first trip in 2006 (I was 13).
My favorite souvenir as an adult (I am now 27) was my LE Starbucks EPCOT tumbler mug...my cat rudely knocked over the first one from the counter...and I purchased another through Ebay and that second was has since been smashed when I was cutoff while driving and my mug went crashing into the floor. I did not invest again. :(
My favorite souvenir as an adult that still exists (lol) is my 2018 Princess Half Marathon Fairytale Challenge shirt. It was my first half-marathon ever and I will never forget it.

SAFD: Oh this is so tough. I guess we are talking about souvenirs from trips, so that takes out any Disney artwork from Etsy or purchases from the Disney store website. My favorite is probably my Disney monopoly game that I brought home after an adults only trip for my kids! My oldest LOVES playing Monopoly so we have played it on countless Sunday afternoons with a Disney movie turned on in the background.

Part of me thinks they will let people know much sooner than 60 days because it costs a lot of money to put these races on and often race directors have to shell out a ton up front (think of the upfront costs of 2020 merchandise alone...that needs to be made pretty far out). But, the other part of me wonders if they let so few people in so that it could be held regardless.

Last edited:
Part of me thinks they will let people know much sooner than 60 days because it costs a lot of money to put these races on and often race directors have to shell out a ton up front (think of the upfront costs of 2020 merchandise alone...that needs to be made pretty far out). But, the other part of me wonders if they let so few people in so that it could be held regardless.

I think a lot will depend on what other races do. I don't think disney wants to be the first big race that takes place which is why I think W&D is done. Then the question all race directors have to start askiing is will things be better in 2 months (january)? I think rundisney was really hoping that big gap between april and november was enough time for things to improve. Clearly it wasn't.

At the bottom of the update regarding Wine & Dine going virtual, they mention 2021 Marathon Weekend:

"At this time, we plan to host the 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend as scheduled and will share more details at a later date. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding."

They're clearly not committing, but I'd read that as at least they are still working on it.

At the bottom of the update regarding Wine & Dine going virtual, they mention 2021 Marathon Weekend:

"At this time, we plan to host the 2021 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend as scheduled and will share more details at a later date. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding."

They're clearly not committing, but I'd read that as at least they are still working on it.

Until they make a decision to cancel they have to keep preparing as if it is going to happen. Right now we just need to hope the overall situation looks better over the next month or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter