• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

Nuts
Eggs
Greek yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Lentils
Beans
Quinoa
Oatmeal
edamame
Peas
Spinach
Broccoli
Chia seeds

I’m personally not a fan of shakes and bars.
Yeah I have to be careful of bars. Cliff Bars give me heartburn. I do have snack bars and I like Nature Valley protein bars, and then certain Rx Bars.

We have an ASICS outlet about an hour from me. I usually go twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall as they usually have sales and I stock up. Some years I have trouble find one pair I like. This year there was about ten pairs I could have bought. Walked out with 4 for me and 2 for the wife, who is running the 1/2 on MW. I was excited so I needed to share and most people in my circle wouldn’t understand. 🤣

I’m upping protein as well. Lots of cottage cheese here - I love the Good Culture! My favorite is to top it with fresh strawberries.
I also do egg white omlettes, deviled eggs, and nuts.
I do eat meat, but mostly at dinner. I’ll be trying TJ’s tofu! Thanks for asking about this!!

I’m upping protein as well. Lots of cottage cheese here - I love the Good Culture! My favorite is to top it with fresh strawberries.
I also do egg white omlettes, deviled eggs, and nuts.
I do eat meat, but mostly at dinner. I’ll be trying TJ’s tofu! Thanks for asking about this!!
I’m loving blackberries with my cottage cheese!

Can anyone share their favorite non-meat proteins? I'm trying to get nutrition together while I'm waiting to heal and start running. Thanks in advance!
I am loving all the responses you are getting! I have an issue with whey protein so I have moved to more plant based proteins. I love Levels plant based protein powders for smoothies and I second tofu as a great sub for meat and a kick butt form of protein! Check out Nasoya products, particularly their Plantspired line of products which are ready to use and pre seasoned with flavors like Korean BBQ, Kung Pao (AMAZING in stirfry!!) and garlic and herb (terrific in caesar salads). I have also recently developed issues with eggs thanks to a new medication so I use extra firm tofu with some cottage cheese to make "scrambled eggs".

Good afternoon RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Following along with the Springtime Surprise Weekend reports, heat and humidity are starting to ramp up. In my training run yesterday morning, it felt like gills would be of more use than lungs. This week's question is what techniques do you use to acclimate to and deal with the increasing heat and humidity as summer approaches?

SAFD: The most important thing I do to deal with the heat and humidity is to slow down. I've got a table that tells me just how much to slow down based on the sum of the temperature and dew point (T+D). Other than that, I pretty much just try to power through. I take more fluids with me and carry them on shorter runs. I also like to keep a stock of Pop-Ice in the freezer. After a hot run, eating a couple of them can help bring my body temperature back to normal ranges much more quickly.

SAFD: it was feels-like 39 for my run this morning so I’m going to have to think back to last year 🤣

I too have a T+D chart that tells me how much to slow down (I don’t always listen to it well.) I try to be really mindful of electrolytes and hydration. But work acclimates me soooo well because it’s a 95 degree pie baking room. Going out and running when it’s 75-80 doesn’t feel overly hot.

We have an inflatable kids water slide thing, and on days it’s really hot, I’ll sit in the pool part of that to cool off after a run.

Last edited:
SAFD: I also check the temp + dew point to get an idea of what I’m in for! My easy run pace drops about 30-60 seconds per mile. And I definitely hydrate lots more. I don’t carry anything for 10 miles or less in winter but in summer I’ll carry my handheld for anything over 3 miles. I usually refill it every 6-7 miles as well. I won’t do more than a few miles once it’s over 90F, in MN it’s pretty easy to avoid running in temps that high.

SAFD: As the temp/ humidity go up, I get up earlier to run, generally as soon as I can see and be seen; dress in shorts, tank tops, and visors, instead of capris, long sleeves, and caps; slow down my pace and/or cut my run interval times down; carry hydration/ electrolytes for all runs; and sometimes run in the rain, as long as there’s no stormy weather. And, of course, if necessary, cut a run short. It’s more important to avoid illness and injury than to say “I ran ‘x’. miles today.”
Also, don’t forget the sunscreen!

SAFD: Since it’s hot and humid half the year where I live, I just embrace the suck. I run in the mornings before the sun comes up, and I usually ditch wearing a shirt because it just ends up trapping sweat and making me feel hotter. I only bring water for anything over a half marathon, but will hydrate throughout the day. The main technique is mentally accepting that my performance will not be what I want, and that this is training for whatever conditions may be on race day.

SAFD: Ugh, the heat of summer. I always in the morning but as it gets warmer, that time gets pushed back more each month. In the middle of summer I try to be out the door by 6:30 or 7:00am. Medications I am on my heat tolerance difficult so I must be mindful of that and I always carry a handheld with diluted Liquid IV.

SAFD: Nothing overly unique I guess, just slower and carry more water, likely one water / one electrolyte mix. I run in the AM so either still dark or sun rising so I’m not usually having to deal with daytime heat, just AM humidity. I bought a Mission headband at the Expo the other day and tinkered with wearing it on my head/around my neck or using it as a sweat rag the last two mornings. Also bought a ‘cooling sleeve’ but didn’t try it yet.

I’m in Florida, so I’m at least 30 seconds per mile slower for half of the year. I bring liquid IV once it starts getting really hot. I don’t like getting up early so I use the treadmill to run later during the day. Also this year I’m limiting myself to 5k runs with the occasional 10k long run until marathon training starts, and no speed workouts unless they’re on the treadmill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter