• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

Good afternoon RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Following along with the Springtime Surprise Weekend reports, heat and humidity are starting to ramp up. In my training run yesterday morning, it felt like gills would be of more use than lungs. This week's question is what techniques do you use to acclimate to and deal with the increasing heat and humidity as summer approaches?

SAFD: The most important thing I do to deal with the heat and humidity is to slow down. I've got a table that tells me just how much to slow down based on the sum of the temperature and dew point (T+D). Other than that, I pretty much just try to power through. I take more fluids with me and carry them on shorter runs. I also like to keep a stock of Pop-Ice in the freezer. After a hot run, eating a couple of them can help bring my body temperature back to normal ranges much more quickly.
I’m a crazy person. Now, I don’t live in the south, but when we get the hot and humid weather in MA I purposely run in it to try and get accustomed to it. I also have a sauna so I am used to sitting in heat for around 45 minutes a night. I drink water constantly so I am always hydrated. If I run in the heat and humidity I find my fall races are much easier.

Funny story though. When I signed up for 2014 ToT I read the thread for the 2013 race and heard about how humid it was so a lot of people were throwing up on the course and after the race. Vomiting is my biggest fear so I was determined to prepare. There was a stretch in August that was mid 90’s and like 90% humidity. I was out running at 1:00pm, during the hottest part of the day, to prepare for FL humidity. Needless to say, I was drenched. My sneakers were soggy. But, I didn’t throw up after ToT. Lol

SAFD: I tried, and failed to become an early morning runner last summer, but my body rebelled against the required sleep schedule and I ended up missing a lot of run. So this summer I will just suck it up and do all my easy, long, and hill runs outside, and any speed work will be done on the treadmill.

I created a T+D calculator spreadsheet for myself so I can plug in the weather and pace data and it will tell me what my adjusted pace should be. Of course, whether I can actually slow myself down to that pace is a whole different problem 🤣🤣

related to SAFD re Temp and humidity: a lot of my running for training here is pre-dawn and I run with a good headlamp: Do people feel like they need a headlamp for raceday since the start is decidedly early and dark?
There are definitely some dark spots on the courses, but I've never felt the need for a headlamp at a race.

related to SAFD re Temp and humidity: a lot of my running for training here is pre-dawn and I run with a good headlamp: Do people feel like they need a headlamp for raceday since the start is decidedly early and dark?
There were definitely spots this past January where I could not see the ground at all. All I could see is that the folks in front of me were not sinking into oblivion so I trusted that I wouldn’t either 😆. There is lighting most of the time which is what makes the dark parts so dark, my eyes can’t adjust that quickly! Regardless, I’ve still never brought my headlamp because I don’t want to deal with it once the sun begins to rise.

SAFD: I tried, and failed to become an early morning runner last summer, but my body rebelled against the required sleep schedule and I ended up missing a lot of run. So this summer I will just suck it up and do all my easy, long, and hill runs outside, and any speed work will be done on the treadmill.

I created a T+D calculator spreadsheet for myself so I can plug in the weather and pace data and it will tell me what my adjusted pace should be. Of course, whether I can actually slow myself down to that pace is a whole different problem 🤣🤣
Me too! I've tried to get up early and just can't do it, plus I have to wait half an hour for my inhaler to kick in. I slow down, increase my water and salt intake, and am fully stocked on electrolytes. I try to run outside and I'll head home to use my treadmill to finish out my run.

SAFD: Pretty much same as others have said. I look at my T&D spreedsheet and adjust my pace, although I'm not great at slowing down to where I should be. I know that lunch/afternoon runs aren't an option unless I want to be on the treadmill, so I make sure I get up early to get the run in and take water with me. From time to time I will also take a cooling towel and drape over my shoulders during the run, although most times I end up fiddling with it the whole run, so don't do it that often.

There are definitely some dark spots on the courses, but I've never felt the need for a headlamp at a

There were definitely spots this past January where I could not see the ground at all. All I could see is that the folks in front of me were not sinking into oblivion so I trusted that I wouldn’t either 😆. There is lighting most of the time which is what makes the dark parts so dark, my eyes can’t adjust that quickly! Regardless, I’ve still never brought my headlamp because I don’t want to deal with it once the sun begins to rise.
I just ask as I'm generally training with DS15 at 5am and it is DARK dark on some of our training trials, so we use the headlamps to give the critters fair warning and to see where our next footfall is going. In most of the videos I see online it's pretty well lit even when it's dark, so it seems like I'd be bringing a lamp for a few hundred yards of the race...

SAFD: I have to be at work at 7:00 am so early runs are out of the question for me! I try to time my runs for when it is still light out, but the sun is going down and things are cooling off. I also try to choose my routes based on how much shade the trees can offer me lol! As others have said, I also slow down my pace and take some Liquid IV after my run to stay hydrated. Sometimes a cooling towel is helpful as well, I brought one with me for the marathon this year and it was such a lifesaver (bonus points for its double use of wiping the rain and the sweat lol).

SAFD:
Florida native here, have been running for a while but just started upping my distances in the last 3-4 years. During summer my long runs have to be at 5-6 am. Otherwise it gets dangerous. In addition to what others have said, I got a great running hat last year that is made to get wet so halfway through a hot run I’ll soak it and it works amazingly to cool myself down quickly.

Also- first timer here! I did 2 half marathons, a Princes half and last year’s Wine and Dine half. So this is my first full marathon. I’m happy to have this group and look forward to all the training and race tips from everyone!

We have an ASICS outlet about an hour from me. I usually go twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall as they usually have sales and I stock up. Some years I have trouble find one pair I like. This year there was about ten pairs I could have bought. Walked out with 4 for me and 2 for the wife, who is running the 1/2 on MW. I was excited so I needed to share and most people in my circle wouldn’t understand. 🤣
Nice! I run with the Asics Novablast. I noticed Asics has some great deals going on now. Thinking about buying my shoes for MW now and just storing them away until December.

SAFD: Since I live in the Houston area, I deal with the heat and humidity a good portion of the year. Most of my training during the week is at lunch time. Our office has a gym and showers. It's also located on a waterway. So I will take my lunch break and go get in 4-5 miles. When it gets crazy hot, I will carry a water bottle with the hand strap. I fill it with ice and then cold water. Most of that water I use to spray on my face during the running. There are several water fountains along the water way. If I get low on water, I fill up there. I have found that the cold water dousing works pretty well in not overheating during the hot Houston summer.

I just ask as I'm generally training with DS15 at 5am and it is DARK dark on some of our training trials, so we use the headlamps to give the critters fair warning and to see where our next footfall is going. In most of the videos I see online it's pretty well lit even when it's dark, so it seems like I'd be bringing a lamp for a few hundred yards of the race...
Yea, a lamp is not needed on the course. Like others have said, there are few dark spots here and there. But usually the course has portable lighting along the pathways, the street lamps, the lighting from the Disney parks, signs, attractions, lighting from the DJ vehicles out on the course. The only thing you have to be aware of is "Caution runners, speed bump ahead".

SAFD: I was just talking to DH about this as we have been enjoying our 40-50 degree long runs. In the summer, I run early morning before work and it is not enough to really bother me. Long runs are a different story. We usually run Saturday mornings, but relax with coffee and a book before we head out. We did that last summer and ended up in brutal sun and heat/humidity. We vowed that we would run once we get up and try to beat the higher sun. I have only a few inches of my colon left after my cancer so dehydration is something I have to focus on. Fun facts, your colon is 5 feet long and its main job is water and electrolyte absorption. You can imagine then that I focus on staying hydrated on long hot runs. I also use LMNT everyday and that helps a lot. When it is really warm, I take one of those cooling towels and wrap it around my wrist for the run. I can wipe sweat with it and your wrist is one of the cooling points on your body. When I am done running and doing my walking cool down, I take it off my wrist and drape it over my shoulders which helps cool me down. We have a pool so we will also jump in after a hot run to bring our core temp down. And as previously mentioned, sunblock!

When it is really warm, I take one of those cooling towels and wrap it around my wrist for the run. I can wipe sweat with it and your wrist is one of the cooling points on your body. When I am done running and doing my walking cool down, I take it off my wrist and drape it over my shoulders which helps cool me down.

This is a great idea! I usually have a towel attached to my handheld during the summer to wipe sweat, but a wet towel is such a better idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter