• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2025

Y’all! Where was this weather yesterday?!?! 😭😭😭
I am so jealous! Hoping the heat this past weekend means we won't have to deal with it in January!

DH had to be back at work, so we left on a flight yesterday evening. Didn't get home until after midnight, and then I was a bit amped from all the travel so I was pretty much up for 24 hours. I will never again leave on race day if I can avoid it!

This is a great idea! I usually have a towel attached to my handheld during the summer to wipe sweat, but a wet towel is such a better idea.
Keep the cooling towels we got at the end of the race(s) this weekend for this!

Keep the cooling towels we got at the end of the race(s) this weekend for this!
This is a great idea! I usually have a towel attached to my handheld during the summer to wipe sweat, but a wet towel is such a better idea.

I got my towels from rD! The first time I had the idea to wrap it around my wrist was Princess Half in 2019. It was over 70 with 90% humidity at the start of the race. I had the towel around my wrist and a baggy of ice in my bra. The ice melted by the time I hit MK. DH was going to meet me outside the Poly with a new baggy, but he missed calculated my pace and missed me. I would reactive the cloth at some water stops and it really helped take the edge off!

Nice! I run with the Asics Novablast. I noticed Asics has some great deals going on now. Thinking about buying my shoes for MW now and just storing them away until December.
That’s what I did. I had a pair from last season still in my closet so with five pairs I should be set for MW. I got a new model, I think they are Noosa’s. They had two on clearance for 50% off. Usually $130/pair and I got two pairs for $98 total. They are VERY lightweight. I’ll do my shorter runs in those and will save a pair for the 5k and 10k for Dopey. I have three pairs of Nimbus. Those will be for longer runs and the 1/2 and full for MW.

I tried on the Novablast and really liked them but the price tag was starting to get out of control. I’ll revisit them during my fall trip. 🤣

SAFD - I run early mornings year round so I get the coldest of cold in the winter and avoid the heat and humidity of summer. If I do end up needing to run during the day I'll bring water and sometimes salt tabs. But mostly I am a bad example and I just try to hoof it out at normal pace bringing myself to the brink of death and then complain that I am out of shape. 🤣

I’ve run outdoors in all weather. When it gets hot, I pay to how I feel and slow if need be. And, of course, hydrate!!!
I do train inside on my treadmill quite a bit (mostly bc I haven’t found a safe place to run alone since our move). Working in some park runs with DH in the weekends now that it’s getting nice! Definitely will continue through summer so I don’t get caught by surprise in FL.

run with the Asics Novablast.
I’m an ASICS girl all day. I’ve been wearing Nimbus since the 18. Was not a fan of the 25. Too squishy. 26 seems to be a better ground feel for me. I have a Novablast 3. I don't wear them often. I don’t like the tongue, slips down too much. I also can’t wear it more than 6 miles or I’ll get terrible pains in my calves.

I’m an ASICS girl all day. I’ve been wearing Nimbus since the 18. Was not a fan of the 25. Too squishy. 26 seems to be a better ground feel for me. I have a Novablast 3. I don't wear them often. I don’t like the tongue, slips down too much. I also can’t wear it more than 6 miles or I’ll get terrible pains in my calves.
I will have to try out the Nimbus 26. I agree about the 25, too squishy. But it makes for a great shoe to walk around the parks in. I bought a pair of 25 last year to run in, but turned them into my park shoes. Best my feet has ever felt after walking around the parks all day.

I do like the forefoot cushioning in the Novablast 3. But the toe box seems narrower than the Novablast 2. I need to try on the Novablast 4 and see how those feel.

I will have to try out the Nimbus 26. I agree about the 25, too squishy. But it makes for a great shoe to walk around the parks in. I bought a pair of 25 last year to run in, but turned them into my park shoes. Best my feet has ever felt after walking around the parks all day.

I do like the forefoot cushioning in the Novablast 3. But the toe box seems narrower than the Novablast 2. I need to try on the Novablast 4 and see how those feel.
The 26 is still softer than than what they were before they changed them for the 25. But overall I like them for my recovery runs. I want a good speed shoe but I still want some cushion since I have beat my feet up over the years. I didn’t pay any mind to shoes and such when I was a teen running track and xc. Spikes and whatever my parents could afford. I try to take care of my feet now.

We have been Altra Torin runners for a few years, but they have been making them worst and worst with each iteration. I am currently running in the Altra Rivera and they are ok. I need a neutral shoe and I like a zero or low drop. Oddly, in every running shoe (or at least in all my altra's the last few years) I wear out holes in the inner back heal. It is like my heal is lifting and pulling the stuffing out. Eventually there is a hole to the outside hard layer. It typically doesn't bother me, clearly my heal wants that area gone, but lately it has been bothering me.

After I wear out this pair (got them in February before Princess), I am going to try Brooks. DH had Brooks Glycerin or Adrenalin for years and loved them.

Are there any registration opening trackers that any of you follow for this weekend?I missed registration and trying to get in either the 10K or the half.

Last edited:
I’m trying for dopey as well. I didn’t get home from a appt in time to register but will keep checking or hope that some charities start selling off BIBS or at least lower the requirement. Paying in Canadian dollars are expensive enough. 🙄

Are there any registration opening trackers that any of you follow for this weekend?I missed registration and trying to get in either the 10K or the half.
Rundisalerts on twitter and telegram. People here have had success with it but worth noting that you have to be VERY fast when the alerts get pushed.

Can anyone share their favorite non-meat proteins? I'm trying to get nutrition together while I'm waiting to heal and start running. Thanks in advance!
Tofu - I use it cut into squares and wok-fried for stir-frying and to top soups, and crumbled and scrambled with vegetables like eggs.
Beans of all kinds - canned or dried, I always have a bunch on hand
Tempeh
Seitan
Eggs
Peanut and almond butters
Avocado
Broccoli
Eggplant
Spinach
Brussels sprouts
Quinoa
Cashews
Potatoes
Pasta

I eat mostly vegetarian and often vegan - the key IMO is getting rid of the idea of replacing meat with vegetable as a 1:1 and instead stacking your vegetables to get a variety of protein sources per meal. So while avocado may not be super high in protein on its own, added to a bowl made with quinoa, sautéed spinach, black beans, and tomatoes, you’ve got a heaping pile of different kinds of protein, carbs, and fiber at once.

Good afternoon RunDisney All-Stars! Welcome to this week's edition of Sundays are for Disney (SAFD). Following along with the Springtime Surprise Weekend reports, heat and humidity are starting to ramp up. In my training run yesterday morning, it felt like gills would be of more use than lungs. This week's question is what techniques do you use to acclimate to and deal with the increasing heat and humidity as summer approaches?
SAFD, the Floridian version:
1. I run by perceived effort, not numbers. I literally turn off all real-time data notifications while running for 8 months of the year because it’s irrelevant that I’m a minute per mile slower: the main objective is avoiding heatstroke.

2. I run by time, not distance.

3. Avoid the sun as much as possible - either by running early and/or seeking shaded paths/sidewalks. I’ll resort to the treadmill only if there’s lightning. If I somehow have a day with rain and no lightning, I take full advantage of it and enjoy running in the deluge!

4. Always carry electrolyte hydration, even for short runs.

5. Run routes that have public restrooms and/or drinking fountains and wrap a bandanna around my wrist: soak bandanna at regular intervals and use it to squeeze water out over my head, back of neck, insides of elbows and wrists.

6. Wear as little clothing as possible.

7. When I was still going high mileage, I’d aim to get as many miles as I could done outdoors in the hour before and 45 mins after sunrise, then move to a treadmill or pool to finish.

8. Remember that heat stress is cumulative: a hot morning run is never followed by a day outdoors doing other things - indoor house chores in the AC is a great way to keep moving without adding heat stress.

We have been Altra Torin runners for a few years, but they have been making them worst and worst with each iteration. I am currently running in the Altra Rivera and they are ok. I need a neutral shoe and I like a zero or low drop.
Have you tried Topo? I like the Topo ST (currently ST-5). They have a zero drop.

Have you tried Topo? I like the Topo ST (currently ST-5). They have a zero drop.
I did try those when I bought the Altra Rivera. At first I liked them, but when I did the test run in the parking lot, they weren't as comfortable.

SAFD: In TX, there is nothing to do but try to run when the sun is down and it is "only" in the 80s, and just accept that life is pain.
SAFD: I came here to say this. I will transition to running in the evening after work to first thing in the morning before the sun comes up when it's "only" 83 degrees with 80% humidity. I also make an effort to drink a lot of water and electrolytes during the days. You eventually just get accustomed to it and it makes the training later in the fall and winter so much more enjoyable. Since I'm running all of the races for the DL Halloween weekend, I will have to start training here consistently here in about a month (I'm taking at least a couple of weeks off now after SS to rest and reset mentally) and it will be in the heat of the summer. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for that. Haunted Mansion and NBC just got the best of me. 🤣

It’s funny, I have been wearing the Nimbus since the 17’s. That was my favorite shoe ever. I bought like 5 pairs and wore them as long as I could. I find that since that I always hate the even year models. I end up in the odd year and buy enough to last me. I love the 25’s. They are second to the 17’s. But, the 26 is close for me. It’s not much different in my opinion. If I couldn’t get 25’s I’d be fine with 26’s but for the cheaper price of the older model year I went with 25’s.

I have bought Cumulus in the past sometimes too for shorter runs since they are lighter. But the new Cumulus actually felt more cushiony than the Nimbus this year and they were more money, which they usually aren’t. Not sure if they have changed their strategy with these other models being introduced.

SAFD: I came here to say this. I will transition to running in the evening after work to first thing in the morning before the sun comes up when it's "only" 83 degrees with 80% humidity. I also make an effort to drink a lot of water and electrolytes during the days. You eventually just get accustomed to it and it makes the training later in the fall and winter so much more enjoyable. Since I'm running all of the races for the DL Halloween weekend, I will have to start training here consistently here in about a month (I'm taking at least a couple of weeks off now after SS to rest and reset mentally) and it will be in the heat of the summer. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for that. Haunted Mansion and NBC just got the best of me. 🤣
NBC got the best of you? Here at ABC/DIsney?!
Infiltration by the other team! Someone call security!

SAFD:

I'm usually an early morning treadmill runner so I like this time of year because I can finally run outside early and not be in the dark. It's Arkansas so it's hot and humid for 9 months. I just slow down and hydrate. Sunscreen. Hats and visors make me too hot.

My community center has sprinklers early and I try to hit those on my long run days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter