March Break Flights

Thank you. Now that you mention it, I remember someone suggesting that in the past.

Do you know how long the process takes from when you apply to when you can us the companion fare? WestJet flights should be available in the next few weeks.
How often do you get the companion fare?

Yes it could take 6 weeks from the start of the process, so maybe that will not help you. One thing about Westjet is the last couple of years is that they delayed releasing the March break fares. That is the creeping calendar just stops with no notice when the flights will be released. Very frustrating as it means being up early and on the computer for several days waiting to book! Also they may only have 8 to 12 cheaper fares per flight and then the fare price increases. Good luck I hope you can get some decent fares.

Yes it could take 6 weeks from the start of the process, so maybe that will not help you. One thing about Westjet is the last couple of years is that they delayed releasing the March break fares. That is the creeping calendar just stops with no notice when the flights will be released. Very frustrating as it means being up early and on the computer for several days waiting to book! Also they may only have 8 to 12 cheaper fares per flight and then the fare price increases. Good luck I hope you can get some decent fares.

Thanks for the tip/warning! That is frustrating to have to check every day when there isn't necessarily any new seats.

Do you know what time around they release? (I'm in Toronto Ontario). If they only have a few cheaper seats, then it pays to check first thing (no pun intended).

One strange thing....I'm looking at WestJet site directly and they have seats up until Wed Feb 13th. Then I went to check Expedia, and they have seats up until Saturday Feb 16th, including a flight on WestJet. Go Figure...if anything I would expect the other way around.

We are in Toronto as well, for last March I think it was mid to late April. I started checking every AM before 7 and of course one AM I slept in a little and that was release day! Did not get the cheapest fares. But we were booked and went and had a great trip!

I just checked my WestJet rewards account and it shows I redeemed my companion flight on May 10 so maybe that was the release date. I remember calling WJ several times and using WestJet FB to try to find out with no luck, they just kept saying soon, keep checking!

grantclaire, thank you so much for letting me know your experience last year. DH and I are up early for work so checking daily first thing isn't a big deal (and weekends we're up with kids too). Just noticed from your signature that it looks like March is a popular travel month for you. :-)

I have the Royal Bank WestJet World Elite Mastercard and I am watching for March break 2019 flights also.
(Card application to ability to use it took 6-weeks).
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/westjet-world-elite-mastercard.html
YYZ to MCO
I will be checking in everyday.
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/lowfa...ero-banner1:routes:caribbean-campaign-q1-2018
I will post as soon as I see them.
I just booked for Jan 2019 and WOW!! price sticker shock! (At least my bags are free with this card).
This past March Break I flew Air Canada and paid
$26.25
$27.18
Total for 1 checked bag =$ 53.45
I live in Mississauga 15 minutes from YYZ so it never makes sense to me to drive/weather Car Park/hotel in Jan or March.
Best Wishes Hon!
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
bababear, thank you. Good luck to you too! Prices seem to be rising. I think we're too late for the card, but good to know for the future (although we use Expedia and have some points saved up). Good you're so close to Pearson. We're not far either, and yeah, guess if driving to Buffalo or Detroit, it is still a risk in March. Hopefully we'll both catch flights at start and grab some "good" deals (for March break prices anyways)

grantclaire, thank you so much for letting me know your experience last year. DH and I are up early for work so checking daily first thing isn't a big deal (and weekends we're up with kids too). Just noticed from your signature that it looks like March is a popular travel month for you. :-)
Last year was most likely our last March break as the youngest of 3 kids is now graduated High School. Might go in March for Bluejays spring training !

So so frustrating
WestJet just added $50 WJD (WestJet Dollars) to my account for use (today) but the catch is must be used in the next 2 days......
I could have gotten my Jan trip $50.00 cheaper if I had waited until today ..and I can't use it to book March 2019 trip because there are no flights posted yet.
ah well.........back to waiting.
I did check Sunwing but they are currently only booking till the end of Oct.
https://www.sunwing.ca/pages/en/sunwing-airlines
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Sounds like a marketing trick. Makes you think that wow, you got some dollars but what are the chances you are going to purchase flights in the next 2 days (pre-March break). Here's hoping we're able to catch flights at a good cost.

So so frustrating
WestJet just added $50 WJD (WestJet Dollars) to my account for use (today) but the catch is must be used in the next 2 days......
I could have gotten my Jan trip $50.00 cheaper if I had waited until today ..and I can't use it to book March 2019 trip because there are no flights posted yet.
ah well.........back to waiting.
I did check Sunwing but they are currently only booking till the end of Oct.
https://www.sunwing.ca/pages/en/sunwing-airlines
Hugs Mel

Hi Mel, I got the same bonus email and used it today along with a companion fare for next Feb for Flights to Tampa. Total cost for the two us 503.00 CDN. return direct flights out of Pearson. So I am happy! Good luck for March!

Sounds like a marketing trick. Makes you think that wow, you got some dollars but what are the chances you are going to purchase flights in the next 2 days (pre-March break). Here's hoping we're able to catch flights at a good cost.
Yeah its a ploy but it got me to check and because we are now flexible I was able to save a bit and flights were on sale! I just thought of another tip if you are thinking of Westjet is to sign up for the WJ rewards program so you get some promos sent to you and also I believe you can preload your passport info and personal info which will make booking easier.

Hi Mel, I got the same bonus email and used it today along with a companion fare for next Feb for Flights to Tampa. Total cost for the two us 503.00 CDN. return direct flights out of Pearson. So I am happy! Good luck for March!

Yeah!!
:yay::yay: That is a great price for the two of you. I am so happy for you!
I work at a school so I am limited as to when I can go to Florida.
I have four more years till retirement and then hopefully I'll have more choices when to fly and the fares won't be so expensive.
Thanks for the good wishes.
Hugs Mel

Fingers crossed for the both of us!
Hugs to you
Mel

Yes we have many! Also it felt strange this past March Break not to be going anywhere! We did a Disney cruise in Feb just the two of us and had a great time but I could tell my wife was feeling some empty nest syndrome.
This is me. We just did our last March break trip with the 4 of us. 2 teen daughter's. One graduates in June and off to university. The other is in gr 10. We are going to California for Xmas. Then Florida for March break with only 1 kid. Then she is going on the high school trip in 2020. Britain, Ireland, Scotland. We will be solo. We do like jays spring training though ;)

I have been retired just over a year and the DW has dropped down to part time so we are flexible when we can go, vacations are a lot cheaper. Flights are cheaper, do not need a larger car rental, can book smaller hotel rooms when travelling without the kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter