Marriott vs. DVC

T

timeshare shopper

I had recently decided to buy into DVC, then I joined TUG and started to check out my other timeshare options. I currently believe that a Marriott would be a better choice for my family. There seems to be more flexibility and many more choices of where to trade without as much stress on getting reservations. I really liked what I saw at the Boardwalk but recent threads have me concerned that my family and I would be stuck always going to our home resort. I would like to have varied vacation experiences. Any advice regarding Marriot vs. DVC? Thanks!

I don't own Marriott, so all I can say is about DVC. DVC is about staying on WDW property in deluxe and spacious accomodations.
The operative word being ON PROPERTY. It is for individuals who are onsite addicts and visit WDW at least every other year. We would never consider staying off property at WDW. It's the whole Disney experience thing. If you go to WDW every other year and enjoy other travel as well, I would suggest a smaller 150- 200 point contract. Then you can use DVC when you want, and not have so much tied into it that you can't travel elsewhere. And if you get tired of it- there's a heck of a resale market. Hey what other ts is selling close to value paid for it?

Thank you for your reply. Do you think it would be so bad to stay at a Marriott in Orlando one year then trade for a Marriott in Spain the next, then Hilton Head or Boston the next? That's seems more exciting to me then going to Disney every time.

Just by your response I have to agree that you would be better off buying at Marriott. I for one would not prefer Boston or Spain. I am perfectly happy going to WDW every year for the next 41 years or more if possible. But that is just me.

A DVC membership is best used to stay at DVC resorts. If your plans are to stay primarily at other resorts around the world and you would be happy staying off property while visiting Disney, then I don't think DVC would be the best option for you. If I remember correctly, I have heard good things about Marriott. You might try them. (And the Marriott Custom House Tower in Boston is really cool! One day after work I told one of the Custom House sales people that I was a DVC member and was considering using my points to stay at their facility and asked for a tour. The rooms were beautiful, but small. A very unique time share.)

Another option would be be buy enough points to go to WDW every other year, or every third year, and then buy a Marriott Time share to use on the alternating years. We hope to get to two vacations per year. Marriott may be a great second choice for us. Also, many Marriotts are deeded and thus can be handed down to your kids, right? Of course, the fliip side of that is what will a 42 year old resort be like?

But, maybe a combination of both would be nice. If your not sure about DVC, spend time on the rental board and try it out by renting points.

Good luck on your decision. I plan to join TUG soon in order to look for that second timeshare. Two vacations per year is the goal.

Timeshare, sounds like you are better at Marriott. But as a fellow travel addict (we go to Europe every year, as well as many other places- that's why I don't have a ton of DVC points) I wouldn't limit myself to a Marriott accomodation overseas. Part of the experience of Europe is staying in hotels with charm and character, and not a chain hotel. I know we struggled with buying DVC because we do travel a lot and not usually to the same place. So we are using DVC as a 4-5 day get away during the holidays with our family and not as any kind of extended vacation. Since our kids are older, we need at least two rooms and DVC is the most economical way to have that. If you think you will use Marriott more, go for it . You could always get a cash ressie at discount rates on property if you need a Disney fix! Good Luck!

I own both and it depends on what you and your famiy want to do. Some are just as happy staying off property in Orlando, others will never do it again no matter what the cost. Marriott is more flexible from a trading standpoint, DVC is FAR MOR FLEXIBLE from a usage standpoint. The ideas are not mutually exclussive so you may want to end up with both, just don't buy Marriott Orlando, especially if you are thinking about both types of ownership.

You're getting good advice here. Keep reading and make your decision based on your particular, anticipated travel plans and desires. If they include onsite WDW trips every 2 years or so, consider DVC with just enough points to bank/borrow and get that. If buying elsewhere, buy a good resale price and enjoy the trading! Plenty of people own both, more than one.

Timeshare accommodations are generally more spacious and have different amenities (kitchen, separate sleeping rooms, usually more activities but no daily housekeeping or room service) than you'd find in hotels and B&B's so you have to decide when traveling which would suit you.

IMHO, families with children and/or where people need more than one room for sleeping benefit the most from timeshares. I know couples who like timeshares or suites because of very different sleep habits or special dietary needs.

Captain Midnight, there are plenty of hotels, B&B's and apartment complexes much older than 42 years all over the world, which are lovely and beautifully maintained. Look at the Concierge Collection, as it includes many. We can't assume that because a property is a timeshare that it would be run down in 42 years or 50 or 75. There are also 5 year old properties that are already showing the signs of poor maintenance. It all depends on the owners and their management. Disney doesn't have the only corner on that market either. Just a thought.

Hi!

We own DVC and MVC. They are both wonderful! We bought at Marriott Ocean Pointe but have never stayed there. We went to Marriott Grand Vista in Orlando twice...kids loved their pool, and so did we.

We also trade into the Marriott in Williamsburg; equally as fantastic.

Our DVC is only used at WDW, we have stayed in prefered studio and standard 1 BR at BWV and, when going with the Grandchildren, in the 2 BR at OKW. We are going to try Vero Beach in November when we go to WDW for the Food and Wine Show. (Staying in a 1BR standard view at BWV

Both of these timeshares have unique aspects to them. If we are going to WDW we stay with DVC. If we go to Sea
world or Universal, Marriott is the way to go!

June:pinkbounc

We own both. Actually bought MVCI 2 years after DVC. We bought at Grande Vista, but primarily for the exchange value. The feature that we have used the most is the ability to trade for Marriott Reward Points every other year. When my DW retires, we are planning to use the Reward Points for travel costs.

To be honest, I've had some minor gliches with MVCI relative to exchanges and reservations. Everything was corrected, but there were hassles.

It does sound as if you are a better candidate for MVCI. If you feel that you may go to WDW every 2 or 3 years, but the minimum DVC points and buy at MVCI.

I own at Marriott and am fairly familiar with a have a healthy respect for DVC. While I cannot tell you which one is right for you, I can only tell you I am very pleased I bought at Cypress Harbour rather than OKW. My main concern was whether DVC was committed to future projects outside of Orlando. Since I purchased in 1993, the number of MVCI resorts has almost doubled. Marriott even bought DVC's Southern California resort. I will add that whenever we use Our unit (which has only been once), we add a night or two at WDW for the "magic." I've also found that as my children reach their teens, they prefer Universal to Disney. I agree with the previous poster about Marriott Rewards. It's a wonderful program despite some recent changes which somewhat diminished it value. With the points(which includes points earned while travelling on business and for referring others to Marriott), I have obtained 36 pieces of Waterford Crystal for my wife at Xmas and taken her to London and Paris for two nights each for Valentine's Day. This year, I "gifted" points to a neighbor (he also "gifted" me $1200--you can't sell points.) He used them for 6 nights at the brand-new Renaissance Chancery Court in London (and saved over $200 a night himself.) When they returned, the "hailed me" and demanded to take my wife and I out to one of the area's best restaraunts. The deal worked out great for me as well because I used the money to stay at Disneyland's Paradise Pier instead of the Ananheim Marriott (and still had plenty of cash to cover tickets and Balcony seating for Fantasmic.) I have traded my weeks for Marriott's Grande Ocean in Hilton Head in the summer (bookended the trip with nights at Disney HHI which I love) and Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg (a beautiful property). I also traded my 2BR for a 3BR at Grande Vista and then rented it for $1400. For next year, I have traded for June at Marriott's Newport Coast which I am planning to rent for $1800 (or trade for DVC points.) One of the best aspects is truly preferred standing in II. I once heard that Marriott has a 50% interest in II. I do not know if that is true but I do know i've gotten some great deals on Getaways. Getaways can normally be booked only 60 days in adavcne but Marriott owners seem to be able to book them whenever they are available. For example, I picked up a week at Marriott Kauai for next July in a 1 BR for only $674 (hence, we are renting Newport Coast.) Interesetingly, when I asked if I could trade my week for that unit in Hawaii, I was told I couldn't because it was specially-purchsed from marriott and not available for exchange. Having said all this, Marriott would be very wong for people who want to go to a Disney-resort year after year. In fact, I am having a really hard time deciding whether to buy at Disney's Hilton Head or Marriott Barony Beach.

I was previously a Marriott owner (and will be again soon!) but I believe that DVC cannot be beat for going to Disney. Since you are a member of TUG, you certainly know that you are comparing two of the most expensive timeshare companies in the world. There are many other timeshares that will give you great opportunities to visit top resorts in the world much more affordably (especially RCI resorts). Many TUGgers feel that II has high quality resorts, but RCI has more resorts in locations that you may want to go.

For me, most of the places I want to visit do not have Marriotts (Mexico, the Caribbean, Myrtle Beach) so I own a Southern California beach week affiliated with RCI to trade into top resorts in those locations. Marriott does have some resorts in locations I like (Hilton Head, Newport Beach, Williamsburg).

But let's face it, for travelling to Disney, there is no substitute for DVC. The flexibility in scheduling along with the location and transportation make it an easy purchase. In addition, only DVC maintains its value as well as it does. Purchase a Marriott week new from the developer and see what it is worth in three years. It won't be pretty! DVC has an unmatched record of holding its value.

Buying timeshares is a matter of preferences and style. Some folks like DVC. Some like Marriott. Others like less expensive options. Many people like a combination of the three. Do what works best for you. That is the only thing that counts!

I'm awfully thankful to see this topic come back up. About six months ago I was having this same internal debate. We ended up not buying either (yeah, I know, DVC points went up in the interim) for some family reasons, but things are much more stable now and we're gradually easing back toward the market. One big joker in the deck now is that DS is now at Marine Corps boot camp in San Diego, and we don't know where his permanant duty station will be, but it'd be nice to trade into something close by him! OTOH, every time I look at something other than DVC, I feel like I'm betraying a best friend or family member. When I can distance myself emotionally from Disney and start thinking rationally, maybe we can make some decisions. But, heck, aren't those of us who are entrenched in middle age and still Disney fanatics irrational to begin with? (I know y'all are out there!) I just sort of feel like being a wuss and letting some of you folks tell me what to do. You have my permission to stick your nose in my business!:cool:

I read the original question as being more concerned with the ability to stay at other DVC resorts, besides the home resort. If so, you shouldn't be put off by recent comments on this board. Alot of people make the assumption that they can't get reservations at the other resorts using the 7 month window. This is not true, except for some very busy times of year, such as around the holidays. I've been reading these boards regularly for about a year now, and far more people report being able to stay at other resorts when they want than report not being able to do so. I had no problem switching a reservation to VWL at the 7 month mark.

Thank you all for all the good advice! I appreciate the info I received. If I decide to buy Marriott, I will miss this board.

Nobody's ever suggested I not visit. After all, this is the friendliest place on the net.

Does Marriott use a point system like DVC, or do you buy a specific week of the year. I like the flexibility of DVCs point system.

Marriott's point system is not directly related to their timeshares. It's a Frequent Flier program so forget about it for now. With Marriott their are 2 types of purchase. Fixed unit size/fixed week AND fixed unit size/floating week within a season. Some are also lockoff's and some not. It is not as flexbible to use as DVC but is more flexible for exchanging and is pretty flexible compared to the rest of the timeshare world.

Gthorson:
Just some "insider information" about MVCI. They will be opening resorts in Paris, pataya Beach, Thailand and Cancun, MX. in the 4 following years. They also have expansion plans for the Caribbean, and, as far as I know, they have Aruba available.

To the original poster: I think DVC and MVCI complement each other perfectly. I mix stays at WDW in BWV with other destinations through Marriott. If I had to choose one, I really wouldn't know which one to pick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter