• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MaxPass / Digital Fastpass - Discussion Thread

Can you redeem your maxpass a bit early, like 5 minutes? Or will it not scan in?
In July, before MP started, we consistently used our FP 5 minutes early. We usually waited until 4 min early just to make sure our timing wasn't off, but it worked great. I never tried going in late. We had an opportunity to test it once but we were all hungry and opted for lunch instead.

We are planning to visit Disneyland parks for our first visit in middle to late July 2018. We are a party of 5. I want to purchase the photopass for the week, but am unsure if purchasing Maxpass will be worth it for the additional cost. We will have 4 day park hopper tickets. Do we need maxpass? Could we still see and do everything we want to in 4 days without MP? TIA!

The window is 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after.

100% guarantee after talking to numerous Cast Members and doing it myself a few times.

After that 15 minutes of extra time the ring will turn blue and at that time it's up to the Cast Member who can view your info on their mobile devices.

Last edited:
Can you redeem your maxpass a bit early, like 5 minutes? Or will it not scan in?

You can use a FastPass 5min prior and 15min after your return window.

If you use the Disneyland app, your electronic FastPass "ticket" will appear and ready for redemption 5mins prior to the scheduled return time. Your electronic FastPass will remain ready for redemption for 15min after your return window, after which it will disappear from the app.

They will scan in 5 minutes early, but no earlier. We always seemed to be early for our MP when we were there but couldn't scan in till 5 minutes before.

We are planning to visit Disneyland parks for our first visit in middle to late July 2018. We are a party of 5. I want to purchase the photopass for the week, but am unsure if purchasing Maxpass will be worth it for the additional cost. We will have 4 day park hopper tickets. Do we need maxpass? Could we still see and do everything we want to in 4 days without MP? TIA!

PhotoPassPlus (PP+) for a week is $78.
MaxPass includes PhotoPass for $10/day. So you only need it on one persons ticket each day.
Cost wise MP is best, it would be $40 for 4days.

Remember you still can pull a regular FP's to speed things up while you're in the parks.
I feel MP might help on the busiest days, Fri-Sat and Sun's.
In late July you'll have long park hours and MP might not be necessary.

Yes. You can see and do what you want using just paper fast passes. However, it depends on the makeup of your group. Ours includes impatient tots. I'm thinking we'll "need" MP.

Yes. You can see and do what you want using just paper fast passes. However, it depends on the makeup of your group. Ours includes impatient tots. I'm thinking we'll "need" MP.
I appreciate the feedback on my post! This is a good point. Our group includes a 3 yr old, 12 yr old, and 13 yr old along with me and my husband. We have been to WDW many times and LOVE FP+ so ideally would love to utilize MP, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth it or not. This input helps give me more information in order to make a better decision. It is good to hear that we could still use paper FP and have a successful trip. Thank you!

I have serious doubts that MaxPass will be the same cost let only the same product by July 2018. I'd be pretty surprised. So while it's fun (and somewhat necessary) to plan these things out because of cost, I'd keep in mind that it will likely change.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback on my post! This is a good point. Our group includes a 3 yr old, 12 yr old, and 13 yr old along with me and my husband. We have been to WDW many times and LOVE FP+ so ideally would love to utilize MP, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth it or not. This input helps give me more information in order to make a better decision. It is good to hear that we could still use paper FP and have a successful trip. Thank you!
I'll add that if it's still $10 per day you could could try one day. Maybe a weekend.

I am wondering if MP will be worth it for us. There are 3 of us going for 2 days, so it would cost $60. We are staying at the Grand Californian so we get early park access. We really want to go on the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, but I assume that can be done during the extra magic hour in the morning? We also want to ride all the rides in Cars Land, would the MP help significantly with that? Thanks!

I am wondering if MP will be worth it for us. There are 3 of us going for 2 days, so it would cost $60. We are staying at the Grand Californian so we get early park access. We really want to go on the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, but I assume that can be done during the extra magic hour in the morning? We also want to ride all the rides in Cars Land, would the MP help significantly with that? Thanks!

MP is best when you are park hopping.
or
Plan to take breaks back at the hotel and would like to book FPs while you are on break.

ME

I'd like to use MP on a day where we will rope drop DCA on a Sunday, stay in the park for a couple of hours w/o using MP for morning rides, but get a FP return times for GOG and RSR for evening as we will be out meeting family in LA all afternoon but will be back at DCA for WOC. Would that work? I think if I got a FP right after our tickets are scanned at rope drop (let's say for RSR) for lets say 6pm return and then 90 min later grab a GOG for 7pm return (?). That would be so wonderful. Or are there limited return times available?

I'd like to use MP on a day where we will rope drop DCA on a Sunday, stay in the park for a couple of hours w/o using MP for morning rides, but get a FP return times for GOG and RSR for evening as we will be out meeting family in LA all afternoon but will be back at DCA for WOC. Would that work? I think if I got a FP right after our tickets are scanned at rope drop (let's say for RSR) for lets say 6pm return and then 90 min later grab a GOG for 7pm return (?). That would be so wonderful. Or are there limited return times available?
You will get the next available return times, like with paper FP. So if you get a FP at 9am, it will be for 9:30(ish). Evening FPs won't be available until later in the day.

However, if you scan into the parks in the AM, you can watch times throughout your day and book when those windows become available(even if you are at lunch or out of the park).

Just remember that after you book one FP, you can't book a new FP for 90 minutes or until your that first FP widow opens. You also can't hold two FPs for the same attraction at once.

As to the odds of getting both RSR and GotG in the evening, I'm doubtful you could make that work.

As to the odds of getting both RSR and GotG in the evening, I'm doubtful you could make that work.

We had no difficulty getting RSR and GotG evening return times last week on Sunday and Monday. There are lots of variables though that will prevent this from working out often, but we were there when crowds weren't too heavy and rides weren't experiencing too many mechanical difficulties. We were using Maxpass and I was fairly proactive about watching fastpass return times and planning our reserving and using of fastpasses well. We managed on both nights to get RSR return times sometime between 5 and 6:30, don't remember precisely the window for each, and Guardians for a window sometime after our RSR window.

As for the pp's hope for how it works though, no. You don't get to choose your fastpass return times. You get the next available fastpass at the time of selection. When the park opens up first thing in the morning, neither RSR nor Guardians will have evening fastpasses available yet. You have to wait for earlier times to be distributed and later times to become available.

Question, I was wondering if we are going to use child swap does a person need to have a fast past to begin with? For example, it is myself, husband, 22 month old, and our 10 year old. I will be getting max pass, but I'm wondering if I need to buy two or three. We use child swap and my son usually just goes again with the parent that stayed behind with the 22 month old...do they require you to have a fast pass along your party in order to provide the child swap? I know for the regular line they don't obviously, but just curious if having a fast pass changes anything..if I have to buy three I will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter