May 2014 7 of 9 - I am a little short for a Stormtrooper..

We arrived at Wimbledon grounds and made our way to our allocated parking which we prebooked. We showed our precious tickets and security check your bags similar to the Disney Parks. Then you are in!

Although Wimbledon has changed much over the years to be accessible there is still quite a few steep slopes up so Jo pushed me in the wheelchair up the first hill. We checked the board for the order of play and decided we wanted to eat our packed lunch on The Hill. The Hill is famous because it was the place folks use to sit and listen as the British player Tim Henman played. It was folks that couldn't get tickets to the court he was playing. It was nicknamed called Henman Hill. So they constructed a very large TV screen for viewing. Now it is an official place within the grounds you can sit, picnic and drink and watch. It's very nice! They even have a wheelchair space reserved and an accessible route up to it.

It was the mens semi finals and we watched this as we ate lunch. The match was a cliff hanger but Djokovic won over Dimitrov. There are refreshment stands on the hill selling famous Wimbledon snacks such as strawberries and cream and the famous drink Pimms.

Here is the hill

37ec1fda78de63f247f3f53690c1d969_zps3c1d70d4.jpg

And us in the wheelchair space as they showed a clip from womens doubles during a break..

2f5fb546cbdceffd04d57885565958f6_zps1202565a.jpg

After the match was complete and food was had we headed over to court 1 where we had tickets. The mens doubles was playing in the semi finals. It was the American Bryan brothers versus a French pair who's name I now forgot! We were supporting our American friends in the caps of course!

9e15052090932de98e17c13e37e799a8_zps00f2aa72.jpg

Some of us...

1a00a9d1db36770e0fb659be1c3d88d2_zpsbe1b5048.jpg

ad33cf7cb655294dc2ff3f6306826cd9_zps6e4543d3.jpg

The Bryan brothers won :-)

Next up Wimbledon shop and Wheelchair tennis...

We left court no 1 and made our way to the Wimbledon shop. Last year I desperately wanted some Wimbledon trainers ( sneakers ) but they did not have my fit. This year they had two pairs on offer one white with Wimbledon logo and one green.

I tried on the white pair they fitted! They were much cheaper than the green but I must admit I did like the green! Then Jo pointed out because of my very small feet I could try juniors on the green and they were the same cost as the white! So I tried them and they fit! I was like Cinderella and the glass slipper! A pig in mud I was. I also got my strawberry Wimbledon socks to go with the. I had saved some money for them you see I am medically retired and earn no money anymore only money I score through ebay/birthdays etc. But Jo wouldn't hear of it and treated me! So I was a pig on pig in mud!

Here they are...

3d6b220e7cf0d976c826e1ffa44bd1f8_zpsb36024a4.jpg

Obviously I don't play a lot of tennis lol but they look good! But some folks in wheelchairs do play tennis and I wanted to check this out..

So we made our way to Court 17 where they were playing doubles...

27a337092a6265552ef671e9bf579893_zps6c45aa70.jpg

a3dc9d46472b30adf166702be1b2cc82_zpsa1601153.jpg

Wow it was amazing! I can't self propel at all as my wrists have arthritis and are too weak so I have a lot of respect for these guys!

We watched till the end if the game and then went back to the hill.

Here is the Pimms stand..

194872b643cdb64e53fa5a494724dd2c_zpsf4987783.jpg

I don't know if you have Pimms but you mix it with Lemonade ( or sprite ) . Jo loves it I don't drink. I have tasted it though not my cup of tea! It's gin based with herbs. You serve it with ice and cucumber and a sprig of mint.

We watched a few more clips on the TV another look around the store. I got Jo some cute Wimbledon purple socks and we drove home listening to Federer win the other Men's semis match. When home I fixed Jo a Pimms drink with ice, cucumber and mint and Jo made dinner. Fish and chips and chicken for me!

Two pigs in mud we sat content and watched Nashville :-)

Thank you for reading.

Love the green shoes! How nice of Jo to get them for you.

Fantastic to get to see the men's semi-final singles and doubles matches. You got great pictures there. That would have been special to see Djokovic play!
I am in awe over the wheelchair athletes. They are amazing!

Pimm's is something that is real popular in England; but I'm not sure it's that popular here in Australia.

Love the green shoes! How nice of Jo to get them for you. Fantastic to get to see the men's semi-final singles and doubles matches. You got great pictures there. That would have been special to see Djokovic play! I am in awe over the wheelchair athletes. They are amazing! Pimm's is something that is real popular in England; but I'm not sure it's that popular here in Australia.
Thanks PIO! No Pimms not missing much lol. Indeed re wheelchair athletes. Shame it gets very little TV time.

Sounds like you had a great day. I love the green trainers. I love Pimms. We had some last night.

Corinna

I love the new shoes, but especially the socks! I'm a socks girl, I have way too many! I have never heard of the Pimms drink before! Thanks for the mini update!

I don't know if you have Pimms but you mix it with Lemonade ( or sprite ) . Jo loves it I don't drink. I have tasted it though not my cup of tea! It's gin based with herbs. You serve it with ice and cucumber and a sprig of mint.

My DH and I are new DVC members since May and I am loving your report!

The Pimms you described sounds like it wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but at the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Y&BC has a Pimms Punch!
My DH gets it whenever we go and it is delicious!

Pimms No. 1 Liqueur, Hendrick’s, Odwalla Lemonade and Wild Strawberry

Can't wait to read more :)

Jo added this lovely photo of a hanging basket at Wimbledon she took. They were all hanging the entire way around the outside of Centre court in Wimbledon colours purple, green and white. They were glorious.

temporary_zpsda9cf063.jpg

My DH and I are new DVC members since May and I am loving your report! The Pimms you described sounds like it wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but at the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Y&BC has a Pimms Punch! My DH gets it whenever we go and it is delicious! Pimms No. 1 Liqueur, Hendrick’s, Odwalla Lemonade and Wild Strawberry http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/JnKinVA/media/Disney 2014/IMG_1493_zpsd26a6ecf.jpg.html Can't wait to read more :)
hello and welcome! Excited to have you onboard! Oh yum re the punch that sounds really nice. Congrats re DVC! Where is your home resort? We have SSR and VGF. We love DVC! Our next trip is September when we also have a DCL cruise :-) when is your next DVC trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter