MAY 2014 Car Rentals

I always check Costco when renting a car. You really have to do it often though. When we rented a car at MCO last month we used Costco as a guide and then used our klm and BJs codes for National. They gave us a great rate on a mid size suv. It was the easiest time we have ever had getting a car. No pressure at the counter to add or upgrade and we could choose the suv of our choice. We picked a volkswagen touareg. We loved it. I will say that Budget had an unbelievable long line compared to the others but Budget loves to put the pressure on and they assign the car. You don't get to pick it. Having done my homework and checking prices at costco often I was more than happy with National and I know we got an excellent fair price. And we were out the door before the Budget line moved. As many have noted car rental prices fluctuate a lot. You really have to check often.

When I post my $ I always include the whole shooting match (tax etc..) - I am holding happily at $174 for a standard with Alamo using the Deal Retriever. I am under my $200 goal but needless to say, will be checking daily. :goodvibes

Woo hoo! :cool1: I got my Dollar rate back down to the original rate I had of $66.84 from the $149 rate I got stuck with before I stupidly canceled the original reservation. I love these Friday afternoon price drops! Took over a month of trying but I'm very happy I was so persistent. Dates are 5/15-18 compact car using the AAA local office code.

when you all are reporting rates, are you talking including taxes and fees, or before the taxes and fees.
I got my Dollar to 109.00 INCLUDING TAXES AND FEES 6 weeks ago for a mid size May 12-May 19 and havent seen anything remotely close to that except Dollar again two weeks ago for about an hour.

Yes the rate I posted above includes taxes & fees. I'm not sure why anyone would post a rate that did not include the taxes & fees because that would not really be giving people an accurate price.

I received a Dollar email with discount code for 15% off through May 31 - EDW15. With this new code, I was able to save $27.00 and move to a full size from a standard. Prior rate from DTD area with return to MCO was $170.00 and today is $143.

I'm also an AP, DVC and Costco member but am not finding good Alamo rates for my dates May 27-31. I would prefer to pick up at the Dolphin car counter and will keep checking during the next two weeks.

Despite what 499 people tell you, you just never know if you will be the lucky 500th to be asked to provide credentials, do you? pirate:

true and I don't think it's good practice to suggest people do so anyway and have a back-up reservation jik they are challenged. It likely drives up the price we all pay as to supply/demand.

I have never been asked for anything. I doubt you will be that 500th person(if he even exists). I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to the Disboards.

I was asked to produce a AAA card @ Alamo garage desk pre kiosk days in MCO. Had one but surprised we were asked.

It's up to the individual to decide their personal risk tolerance level as to whether it's worth using a corporate code to which aren't entitled (especially when LDW is incuded). Not going to make book on the odds of being challenged, but I wouldn't term it risk free.

Alamo has dropped a little more for my time frame 5/24 - 5/31. Using the Insider Deal I am able to book a full size for a total of $149. That is within $38. of my current Dollar rental. If it gets just a little closer, I will probably go with Alamo. I have read many good things about Dollar Express, don't get me wrong, but I am more comfortable with Alamo.

Until our last trip in Feb at MCO, we always used Dollar or Thrifty - seemed to be the lowest $.

However, in Dollar's terms = you must provide a gas receipt w/i 10 miles of the airport (when not paying Dollar to fill the tank). There were some posts that some people were told such at the checkin counter and/or asked for the reciept upon dropping off the car.

I did not want to take the risk. Figured they would probably start enforcing it when I was the renter! So now we go with Alamo - 1st time in Feb. Their terms do not state 10 mile receipt needed. I called & asked before using them & was told, not needed. Just researched Enterprise & they also do not require the 10 mile receipt. I plan on researching National next.

In Feb at MCO we checked in at the counter. Told to go to garage & take any car in our category (signs posted). I like that. Got one with 2000 miles!

In Nov 2013, Dollar gave us our car keys at the counter - no choice. I don't know if Dollar has changed that procedure.

The one thing I did not like about Alamo - their paperwork does not provide space for writing dings/marks/dents, etc. on the car. Not a problem in Feb because car was new & no marks. I asked about it & was told if there are dings/dents, etc., to advise the booth person (as drive out) & it will be notated - but I would want a copy & I don't know if that is provided.

We will use Alamo again in couple of weeks at MCO.

NOTE - I saw a post & found it to be true - the Tuesday before your pickup date is usually the lowest cost - so check then.

missed this earlier...if you are stuck taking a car with issues, list them as to type & location on the car on the back of the paperwork that you get to keep. Request the gate attendant sign it and keep jik an issue arises once after you return.

Hi guys,

I was thinking that Disney offered an auto rental discount for DVC members and/or Annual Passholders. I just spoke with Member Services and I guess they stopped that a couple years ago.

What's my best bet for obtaining a discount for a rental this May? I am a DVC member, AP holder and Costco member (not sure if there are others that provide discounts, but I may fall into those categories too).

Thank you!
:goodvibes

For my rental, Costco has had the best rates by far. I have a full size for 6 days, 2 hours for $121 total. I booked it directly on the Costco site using my membership #.

Just went on Priceline. Bid $15 per day for a minivan and got it! (For Ft Myers but still). I think this is the way to go. $167 total for a week! You pay up front but that's ok. They use the big carriers too. We got Avis. Hope it all goes well!!

I am really surprised that rates haven't come down this year. last year I rented a fullsize from TPA for exactly 7 days for $115. This year.....$143 is the best I am able to do using Costco. I know it's not a huge difference, but the prices haven't really budged this year. (may 10-17)

Just rebooked my car with budget and got 118 for a week picking up at Mco and dropping off at port. That is with all taxes and for a full size car. I just rebooked on Tuesday and it had dropped 30 and then today dropped another $18. Pleased with the rate. When I first booked months ago it was almost $400

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I just booked the same - Budget Full size 5/24-5/31 for $118 on Costco site. Matches Dollar rate, but Budget includes extra driver.

Avis is $15 more. $133. Anyone have any experience with Avis Preferred and Budget Fast Break? Our flight arrives at 8:30 pm and I want to get in a decent car and be on our way quickly. Is one better than the other?

Best rate so far. 246.00 for 14 day rental with Alamo. I am insider member so this will, will include extra driver. Down almost 20.00 from sunday. I seriously doubting I will get anything cheaper at this point. My original goal was under 300.00 then 250.00. I know I will not be able to get under 200.00. But one can dream. Another 20.00 off wouldn't hurt! Momma wants Mickey Bars!

Just booked last night with budget for arrival today, May 7-14, suv for 197.00 with the following:

BCD X793200

MUGZ022 30USD Off Weekly Rental/Paperless Coupon

Hope this helps someone!

Leslie

Just went on Priceline. Bid $15 per day for a minivan and got it! (For Ft Myers but still). I think this is the way to go. $167 total for a week! You pay up front but that's ok. They use the big carriers too. We got Avis. Hope it all goes well!!

Thank-you so much! I just went to Priceline and bid $15 for a minivan we'll pick up at MCO on May 29 and return on June 4. Total with fees, taxes, etc. is $177.78!!!
After bidding, the next screen came up and said my bid probably would not be expected and it suggested bidding $25 but I stuck with $15.

Thank-you so much! I just went to Priceline and bid $15 for a minivan we'll pick up at MCO on May 29 and return on June 4. Total with fees, taxes, etc. is $177.78!!! After bidding, the next screen came up and said my bid probably would not be expected and it suggested bidding $25 but I stuck with $15.

What company have you the $15 rate?

We picked up a car at budget today. I was 200 for May 7, noon, to 5pm on May 14th. We are fast break members and I went to the counter. I had an small suv reserved and she gave me a minivan for the same price :). Happy girl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter