Michigan Vacation help needed!

Wow! So many Michiganders :wave2: neighbors!

Yep, I'm on board this wagon! Kinda surprised no mention of Torch Lake which is close by Traverse.
View attachment 505193
Avoid on the weekends ::yes:: And if you plan on taking a swim, the water will chill you to your bones! :cold: No kidding!!!

Take a walk on the wild side to find Petoskey Stones
View attachment 505195

Dine at Torch Lake Cafe. They are also on facebook! Reservations are available and highly recommended.

View attachment 505196

FYI: Just In about 9 hours ago, 26th Annual Woodward Dream Cruise events have been canceled.

Gotta monitor your plans very closely. My DH was scheduled to return to work after the 4th of July, two days ago they informed him Phase 1 has been canceled until further notice. His office is in Troy. So, he continues to work from home.

Have a wonderful time! :drive: Oh, don't forget to wave to us when passing Macomb!

Thanks for the great info! Those stones are so cool! We will definitely be on the lookout for them. I’m a science teacher so they’d be great to show my classes:)
The lakes look beautiful. I can’t wait to see them in person. One weekend we will be by Saint Joes/Holland area. The other Frankenmuth/Greenfield village. So I’m hoping we can avoid crowds (especially when we ferry to Mackinac Island.)
we are definitely keeping an eye on what’ll be open. As long as our hotels stay open, we really don’t mind just doing outside activities and driving around.
We’ll be sure to wave as we pass by:thanks:

I thought of a few more things.
Make sure to book the mighty Mac Ferry trip to Mackinaw island. A couple of times per day, the boats travel under the Mackinaw bridge for no additional cost on their way to the island. The views are amazing from under the bridge.

Check out the gardens at the Grand Hotel and houses on the the east and west bluff. The fort is cool and they have great cannon and gun demonstrations at various times throughout the day. Seabiscuit is closed for the year. See the old, corny movie called Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymore that was shot on the island, then try to find the gazebo used in the movie when on the island.

Manleys in St Ignace sells the best smoked fish. We like the trout better than the whitefish, but both are good. Their fish dip and jerky/slim jim style sticks are also great.

Lehtos in St Ignace sells good pasties, a UP specialty. Get their fabulous gravy for dipping.

if you want to see a real Dutch windmill, stop by Holland’s Windmill Gardens and do a tour. The structure was brought over from Holland and reassembled.

Make sure not to miss the Pierce Stocking Scenic drive at sleeping bear dunes, Mission Point bear Traverse City and “mushroom” houses In Charlevoix on your way north.

Dutch Village in Holland is cute but I’m Dutch so probably biased. lol

Make sure to have some blue moon ice cream while in MI.

Dutch Village in Holland is cute but I’m Dutch so probably biased. lol

Make sure to have some blue moon ice cream while in MI.
9D71EBFD-FF88-4C57-B66D-09B0205283B3.jpegThis little guy is now 15. We love yummies in harbor springs. And he’s happy here but notice the melting blue moon ice cream next to the bench? That caused some tears until we got him another cone. And he still loves blue moon. Kilwin’s sometimes has it in Virginia (they started in Petoskey) but Superman is more common. Johan’s donuts in Petoskey is another can’t miss if you’re in the area.

View attachment 505428This little guy is now 15. We love yummies in harbor springs. And he’s happy here but notice the melting blue moon ice cream next to the bench? That caused some tears until we got him another cone. And he still loves blue moon. Kilwin’s sometimes has it in Virginia (they started in Petoskey) but Superman is more common. Johan’s donuts in Petoskey is another can’t miss if you’re in the area.
Adorable pic! We have a Kilwin’s in Vero Beach but they don’t have blue moon. :(

DH grew up in Stevensville, near St Joe. I agree with you about it being safe.

How bad is the beach erosion?

You won’t have to worry about social distancing at Jean Klock lol. Your chair will be right at the water line 😁. If you go to Silver Beach Pizza’s website they have a beach cam so you can check it. Poor Lion’s park is non existent right now.

Just to add...Im a Lakeshore grad (1989) Go Lancers! My dd graduated SJ 6 years ago so we’re a house of Lancers and Bears lol

I don’t know what your dates are, and a lot of stuff is currently shut down, but I’m originally from southeast Michigan and have a few suggestions:

Traverse City and the Leelanau Peninsula have a ton of wineries. I haven’t been since before I was 21, but I will say that the wine I’ve had elsewhere is very good.

If you visit Mackinaw City, I suggest at least one night there, and make a day trip to Mackinac Island. You might not be interested in biking around the island, but they have museumand historical sites related to Fort Mackinac, which was a successor to Fort Michilimackinac in Mackinac City. The island is just really pretty.

Frankenmuth is an adorable town that is steeped in nostalgia for me, so I’m biased. Like Skippyboo said, Bronner’s is a massive Christmas store. There are these two “waring” chicken dinner places: Zehnder’s and Bavarian Inn. Let me tell you a secret: they’re pretty much the same. In fact, the matriarch at Bavarian Inn is currently Dorothy Zehnder. Zehnder’s is more kid friendly and feels more chaotic; Bavarian Inn is a little calmer and has a few different additions to the menu. As someone who has done both, I have a huge nostalgic pull for Zehnder’s, but I do appreciate the feel of Bavarian Inn.

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn is another super interesting history stop. The museum has rotating exhibits, but they always planes, trains, and automobiles. (It’s Michigan.) The Village is an outdoor living history museum. It’s filled with reconstructed buildings and homes including a replica of Edison’s Menlo Park, the Wright Brothers bike shop, and Noah Webster’s home. If you have to pick one, I’d choose Greenfield Village. Bonus: I didn’t learn this until the past year, but Greenfield Village was an inspiration for Disneyland’s Main Street. Walt visited in the 1940s.
to add to these recommendations I would add Mackinac Island
Here's my tentative plans. If anyone can add any more details (got a ton so far!) that would be awesome!

Saturday drive to St. Joseph. This will take up much of the day but we've been here before so we will just walk around town a bit.

Sunday drive up the coast to Holland. Overnight in Holland

Monday drive along the coast to Petoskey. We don't have any stops yet planned...working on that once I get all the hotels booked. Overnight in Petoskey

Tuesday drive to Mackinaw City/St.Ignace. The bridge intrigues me so we will definitely be taking a ride across. No accommodations made yet.

Wednesday take the ferry to Macinac Island. We are definitely staying one night on the island, but I'm torn if we should stay 2 (either Tues/Wed nights or Wed/Thurs nights). Still researching all the activities to do there but I think we will do a carriage ride if available.

Thursday we will stay on the island till dinner time then head towards Cheboygan. Undecided if we should stay by the coast on the way back or drive down 75 in the center of the state. No accommodations made yet.

Friday we will be in Frakenmuth area. Hitting up the Christmas store for suer! No accommodations made yet but will stay in that area.

Saturday will be Detroit area. Planning on Greenfield village. Then head towards hotel in Toledo.

I am trying to plan outside activities due to what's going on. We are fine just driving and seeing the landscape. We have driven cross country (I-80 from central PA to Reno out and north through Idaho, Montana, Dakotas on the way back) and we enjoy just seeing the scenery!
If you can fit it in try spending some time in the UP... Kayak tours are still running around Pictured Rocks in Munising MI. The color of the water due to the minerals in the rock gives the water a tropical ocean appeal... the rock formations and caves in the rock are amazing to explore while kayaking. They have short two hour tours for beginners that explore the main areas of interest... Also check into Tahquamenon Falls State Park... We actually made plans for a similar trip and leave July 22nd!!! Michigan is beautiful!! Following the west coast up and stopping at some of the beach towns is a perfect idea... many of the light house will be closed but you can still see them and I highly suggested stopping...Please share your adventure with us if you do this trip... I having a feeling you will want to visit again

I've updated our plans a bit as my husband now has the Friday before & Monday after off as well.

Friday drive to South Bend and stay the night. Yes I know not Michigan lol but we are big ND fans and love the campus so we are hoping to be able to just walk around a bit.

Saturday drive to St. Joseph/South Haven/Holland. Points of interest: Sherman's Ice Cream (Blue Moon ice cream), Tunnel Park, Big Red Lighthouse, Windmill Island Gardens, Neils Dutch Village. Not sure what will be open or how much we will be able to see but those are on our list. Staying the night in Holland.

Sunday drive up the coast to Manistee. Nothing really on our to-do list but did see an ice cream shop called House of Flavors that seemed to be a popular spot. As we continue northward, we will be stopping at the beaches on our way looking for Petoskey stones. Staying the night in Manistee.

Monday drive along the coast to Petoskey. Points of interest: Tunnel of Trees and Legsinn (I'm part Polish and the farmer's cheese pierogies are my fav!) Overnight in Petoskey

Tuesday drive to Sault Ste. Marie. Points of interest: castle rock, Soo Locks. If we have time, we will drive over towards Picture Rocks. Overnight in Sault Ste. Marie

Wednesday take the ferry to Macinac Island. We are definitely staying one night on the island, but I'm torn if we should stay 2 ...leaning towards 2 right now.... Still researching all the activities to do there but I think we will do a carriage ride if available.

Thursday we will stay on the island till dinner time then head over to Mackinaw City where we will stay overnight (OR will replace this with one more night on the island....decisions, decisions...)

Friday we will drive down Route 23 to Bay City. We have no stops planned. Overnight in Bay City.

Saturday will be in Frankenmuth area. Stopping at Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. Overnight in Bay City.

Sunday Detroit area. Planning on Greenfield village. Then head towards hotel in Toledo.

Monday drive home.

In Holland, look into the hike up Mt Pisgah. There are about 300 steps to the top of the dune overlooking the shoreline. It is a workout, but the views at the top are magnificent. It would be beautiful at dusk, but make sure to bring a flashlight for the walk down.

The tunnel of trees is north of Petosky. It starts north of Harbor Springs, so it makes sense to drive it when you leave Petosky on your way to Sault St Marie.

The lakes are not visible from the main roads in very many areas, so get off the main roads and visit the shoreline towns for the best views of it. The charm of Michigan lies in some of its cute towns along the shoreline and the beautiful parks that line it. Not all towns on the shoreline are nice. My favorite shore towns are Saugatuck, Grand Haven (#1), Leland’s fishtown, Traverse City and Mission Point, Charlevoix, Petosky and Harbor Springs. My favorite drives are the Pierce Stocking scenic drive, tunnel of trees out of Harbor Springs, lakeshore drive between Holland and Grand Haven, driving by the mushroom houses in Charlevoix, and of course, crossing the Mackinaw bridge. The loop in the Leelanau Penninsula NW of Traverse City is spectacular when the cherry trees are in bloom in May.

If you will arrive in St Ignace in the afternoon, it would make sense to stay two nights on the island and leave after breakfast after the second night (If the budget allows this). Make sure you see the Grand Hotel prior to 6 pm unless you stay there. Sitting on the rocking chairs on that huge porch at such an iconic, historic grand hotel is an experience not to be missed. Head up to the Cupola bar to see the views from the top of the Grand.

Mlive is the state’s online newspaper. It will tell you the latest news regarding covid19 including known exposure spots to avoid. Trip Advisor should provide dining info. The bars were just closed again so the situation is always changing.

Make sure to pack folding chairs if you have the room in your car so you can set them up and enjoy the view of the shoreline while eating takeout meals.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
In Holland, look into the hike up Mt Pisgah. There are about 300 steps to the top of the dune overlooking the shoreline. It is a workout, but the views at the top are magnificent. It would be beautiful at dusk, but make sure to bring a flashlight for the walk down.

The tunnel of trees is north of Petosky. It starts north of Harbor Springs, so it makes sense to drive it when you leave Petosky on your way to Sault St Marie.

The lakes are not visible from the main roads in very many areas, so get off the main roads and visit the shoreline towns for the best views of it. The charm of Michigan lies in some of its cute towns along the shoreline and the beautiful parks that line it. Not all towns on the shoreline are nice. My favorite shore towns are Saugatuck, Grand Haven (#1), Leland’s fishtown, Traverse City and Mission Point, Charlevoix, Petosky and Harbor Springs. My favorite drives are the Pierce Stocking scenic drive, tunnel of trees out of Harbor Springs, lakeshore drive between Holland and Grand Haven, driving by the mushroom houses in Charlevoix, and of course, crossing the Mackinaw bridge. The loop in the Leelanau Penninsula NW of Traverse City is spectacular when the cherry trees are in bloom in May.

If you will arrive in St Ignace in the afternoon, it would make sense to stay two nights on the island and leave after breakfast after the second night (If the budget allows this). Make sure you see the Grand Hotel prior to 6 pm unless you stay there. Sitting on the rocking chairs on that huge porch at such an iconic, historic grand hotel is an experience not to be missed. Head up to the Cupola bar to see the views from the top of the Grand.

Mlive is the state’s online newspaper. It will tell you the latest news regarding covid19 including known exposure spots to avoid. Trip Advisor should provide dining info. The bars were just closed again so the situation is always changing.

Make sure to pack folding chairs if you have the room in your car so you can set them up and enjoy the view of the shoreline while eating takeout meals.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks! We are really getting excited for this trip.
I do plan on packing chairs (small car but it’s just the 2 of us)
Will it be buggy outside? My DH is not a fan of eating outside if there’s lots of bugs flying around. Just want to be prepared lol
Going to add the mushroom houses to our tour. I saw there’s tours but I think we will just drive around on our own.
I decided on 2 nights on the island. This way we have at least 1 full day there. I was worried we’d get to the island too late the first day (I know there’s traffic around the bridge and I don’t know how long the ferry will take...do I reserve a time or just show up and board as they show up???)
Thanks again for all the ideas!

For the ferry you need to purchase tickets and they give you a time slot to board. I hav not stayed on the island overnight in 10 years but last year I did see where you bought tickets, then they took your luggage to another place to be delivered to your hotel.

Black flies will be out in July. They came out early this year so I don’t know how long they will be around. They love clean water so they can be a problem. We use deer fly patches which are essentially double sided tape on our hats and they get stuck to the tape when they land on the back of our heads. Their bite is quite painful.

It has been a bad year for mosquitoes. We use Cedarcide which is essentially just cedar oil and it works well.

We often do not need bug spray during our travels throughout the state, but they could be bad in spots, especially at dawn and dusk.

Midge season is the worst. They come out in May, do not bite, but the clouds of them are really annoying. We only encounter them around Mackinaw City and on the Island in spring.

Both forts in Mackinaw City and on the island have some great displays inside and are worth a visit if you have the time.

We like Sheplers ferries out of St Ignace because parking is so close to the dock. Last year, they charged $5/night for parking. Do some research before booking your reservation so you know how far from the dock you will be if you choose a different company or leave from Mackinaw City.

Midge season is the worst. They come out in May, do not bite, but the clouds of them are really annoying. We only encounter them around Mackinaw City and on the Island in spring.

Those must have been what we had memorial day weekend years back. My family rented a cabin in the UP, dad's from MI, aunt and uncle live in the UP. Went out fishing with my dad, uncles etc not long before dusk and I had my hat pulled down as far as it would go and my jacket collar pulled up as far as it would go. The bugs were the worst I've ever encountered but no bites, other than the fish. We don't get bugs like that in WA.

For the ferry you need to purchase tickets and they give you a time slot to board. I hav not stayed on the island overnight in 10 years but last year I did see where you bought tickets, then they took your luggage to another place to be delivered to your hotel.
Black flies will be out in July. They came out early this year so I don’t know how long they will be around. They love clean water so they can be a problem. We use deer fly patches which are essentially double sided tape on our hats and they get stuck to the tape when they land on the back of our heads. Their bite is quite painful.

It has been a bad year for mosquitoes. We use Cedarcide which is essentially just cedar oil and it works well.

We often do not need bug spray during our travels throughout the state, but they could be bad in spots, especially at dawn and dusk.

Both forts in Mackinaw City and on the island have some great displays inside and are worth a visit if you have the time.

We like Sheplers ferries out of St Ignace because parking is so close to the dock. Last year, they charged $5/night for parking. Do some research before booking your reservation so you know how far from the dock you will be if you choose a different company or leave from Mackinaw City.

@Kelandsam thanks for the additional info on the ferry ride. Good to know they can take our luggage and we can select a time

@bearzabout hopefully we can avoid the black flies! I’m a mosquito magnet so I will be sure we pack stuff just in case. I’m going to start to research the ferries. I’ll be sure to look into how far away parking is since we will be bringing luggage

Grew up in Grand Rapids. I love MI. We’ve been in Florida 16 years now and I would move back to MI in a second. Be sure to let us know how your trip went when you return.
I don't want to hijack this thread -- it's basically a beautiful love poem to the State of MI and that should continue -- but I'm curious as to (i) why you're still in FL, and (ii) why you'd like to move back to MI.

Full disclosure: I'm also from GR. Moved to FL after grad school (married a Floridian) but we got back here four years ago and haven't looked back. FL is crazy. WDW is amazing. But FL is nuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter