Multiple Resort Owners, Which and Why?

We purchased direct at SSR because that is what Disney was selling. We have since purchased 2 contracts at BWV because of the location.

The last few years, we have planned trips before Christmas but only made the decision in the late summer, so we've missed the 11-month booking window. Only OKW and SSR have been available. If you are not able to schedule and book using the 11-month window at your home resort, it really doesn't matter where you own.

We own 2. One at each side of the property.
AKV for value access and Jambo priority
POLY because it’s the poly.

Me too!

I bought in to AKV in '09 and PVB just this week. Why? We love the theme of AKV and the size of the villas at Kidani. We also love PVB. When I added on, my first choice would've been BCV but I had to weigh the pros and cons of a shorter contract vs easy access to Epcot during F&W which is now our favorite season in which to visit WDW. Now that my eldest son is married and grandchildren may be in the future, length of contract became more important. Besides, PVB is just a quick monorail ride away from Epcot which didn't pose a problem during the two week stay we just returned from.

We own 2. One at each side of the property.
AKV for value access and Jambo priority
POLY because it’s the poly.

We own VGC - We live in northern California and so when we first bought five years ago, we bought where we most visit.
BLT - We are in purchase process at this resort. After visiting last summer and staying at BLT, we knew we wanted to own in FL too...not nearly as many points as VGC. So, we bought BLT due to location, expiration year, dues, and our happiness with the resort.

We bought Boardwalk resale in 2015 and Beach Club direct this year.
Those are our 2 favorites so I wanted to make sure we stay at them.

We have 3 at OKW and 1 at BRV, this year we sold 2 at BCV, just didn't like the cheep refurb or the crowded pool area, get there by 9am and no chairs, what fun this that???

At this point, we own at 3 resorts: (in order of purchase)
VB - 1st resort we purchased because DVC was offering a great incentive and, at the time, we were told that we can easily use those points to use for any resort...now we stay there often
BCV - realized that, for some resorts, the 11 mth Home resort priority is very important and we love BCV
AKV - originally wanted home resort priority for 1 bedroom value villas...but as time went on, use our points mostly for standard or savannah views...never had problems getting 1 bedroom of these

We own VGC - We live in northern California and so when we first bought five years ago, we bought where we most visit.
BLT - We are in purchase process at this resort. After visiting last summer and staying at BLT, we knew we wanted to own in FL too...not nearly as many points as VGC. So, we bought BLT due to location, expiration year, dues, and our happiness with the resort.

We are similar as we live in Arizona and go to DLR at least twice a year and WDW every other year. We have more points (resale) at VGC, but love the Poly and have a small, but useful for us direct purchase there. We are actually taking advantage of the direct purchase an attending the Moonlight Magic event on December 4th as well as the Epcot lounge on December 2nd.

Mike

We own at OKW, BLT and AKL bought in that order. We chose OKW as there wasn't much resale choice when we first bought (12 years ago.) We bought BLT direct as soon as it was released as we loved the Contemporary and ALK (resale) as we wanted to be able to book concierge at 11 months but we love the resort so often stay there using some of our OKW points.

Bought our first contract via resale in 2006. Our kids were young and money was tight so we went with which WDW resort where we could get the most points for our money at that time and that was OKW. We have found OKW to be our least favorite.

Then we needed to add more points, once our three kids were hitting teen years, so we could move up from 1BR to 2BR stays. We stayed, with our OKW points, at HHI and really enjoyed it and liked that we could use DVC without buying park tickets or dining plan or airfare (was living in MD where we would fly to WDW but could manage drive to HHI). Plus the added bonus was that HHI points were some of the cheapest....so in 2012 we bought 25 and 50 pointers from the same seller. We figured we could use them at WDW at 7 months out or when we wanted to skip buying park tickets, and all that, we could book HHI. The one time we used OKW points there, July 2009, it was hard to get at 7 months out. We had to shift our dates and then could only get 4 nights. So, you need to own HHI if you want to stay in summer months and some holiday times or if you want a 3BR GV.

Then, in Jan 2013, we wanted to add more HHI points as the 75 wouldn't get us far (maybe a short stay every three years). We found and went to ROFR on an 88 point resale. The sellers backed out after 9 days in ROFR. At that same time my in-laws were all discussing a big family Xmas trip that year. SIL owns AKV and wanted us to stay there. A loaded 100 point AKV for a great price popped up and we did an impulse buy in our frenzy after the HHI contract fell through. We closed on the AKV two months later and immediately booked rooms for us, MIL and other SIL for Xmas before the 7 month window opened.

Then, later in 2013, we saw a great 50 point HHI resale and grabbed that up too.

Also in 2013, DH and I went to our first F&W sans kids. We managed to get three nights at BLT. We fell in love with F&W and started an annual trip. But we saw folks walking in and out of the IG to get to F&W and we really really wanted to do that. A little research and trying to book for 2014 told us that it would be best to own at BCV or BWV. So in 2014 we called guide and went on WL for 55 points at BWV. We decided there over BCV because we could save points by booking standard view so those 55 points could go farther. We went on WL for both our UY, June and August and got June in 2 weeks. Then two months later, our guide called and said they also had the Aug points if we wanted them. We could not resist 25 points more. That was 2014.

In 2015 resale prices were skyrocketing. And we noticed we could book AKV with our OKW points at 7 month window. So we resold our AKV and got $15pp more than we paid. And we had stripped it, using through 2016. So we used five years of points and made money on sale but paid commissions and 3 or 4 years of annual dues... So maybe a wash.

In 2016 we called guide a few days before DH's birthday and our 20th Anniversary (same day) and was surprised to find they had 25 Aug UY BWV. So we got those as a gift for DH. We had found having our BWV points in two UY a bit of a pain so adding these 25 more to Aug helped. We can just book from one UY instead of trying to transfer or book separate and link.

At 200 OKW, 125 HHI and 105 BWV. We use HHI mostly at HHI and BWV mostly at BWV. OKW we use wherever we can at the 7 month mark. We have preferences and we go down the list and then stalk the RAT and make waitlists. But we are happy to stay at any. We like things about all of them. And kinda like changing things up (instead of always staying at same place). But, in the spring, we were back on the hunt for more points. When CCV went for sale, I wanted to buy 70 points there so badly....for Xmas stays. But the hubby just could not swallow the price pp and annual dues cost. He pointed out that we could get double points via resale. So we offered and went to ROFR on 150 HHI. But it got taken by the mouse. We made another offer on a HHI and the sellers refused to budge on price. So we switched over to 150 BWV contract and got it. Now we have a total of 255 there. We are good.

I wouldn't mind a MK resort but not thinking that will happen. I would even sell the OKW to buy a MK resort but DH would never agree. He says 'why pay money to sell and then buy less points at another resort?'.

Hey there everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster! We are newbie owners at BLT and although we have made several trips to DisneyWorld in the past, June 2018 will be our first "Official DVC" trip. Sooo Excited! We are a family of 6 (Me, DW, DD 21, DD 18, DS 15, DS12) and need a 2 BR minimum. We chose BLT mainly due to the location of MK and flexible room arrangements (1BR can sleep 5, 2BR can sleep 9, etc.). Starting off with 150 points and plan on purchasing an additional 150 at either BWV, BCV, or SSR so we can alternate between resorts each year. Main reasons for BWV and BCV is the location relative to Epcot (we love the Food and Wine Festival and often plan our trips around it) and SSR mainly due to the affordability factor. We toured BWV 2 years ago and LOVED it but plan on touring the BCV and SSR in June before making our final decision. The only concern we have with BWV and BCV is the expiration date compared with the other resorts.

My question to you all is which resorts did you choose and why? TIA and happy to be part of the "DVC Family"!

We currently have 4 "home" resorts. Here is what our reasoning was at the time:

OKW - large rooms, low points, further away from the parks, so we get more of a laid back vacation feel there. For the difference in points and room size, we prefer it to SSR.

VWL (yeah, yeah... BRV... whatever...) - like the theming, and again the fact that it's set off a bit. When the kids were little, we liked that we could feel like we were away from the parks when we got back to our resort, but we were only a quick boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. Loved the theming, although it (like most resorts) has gone more generic over the last couple of years, which disappoints me. Love the Christmas theming. Great memories of spending Christmas here, with presents under the 6 foot tree we put up in the living room!

BCV - We bought (and added on) before the resort was even built. Literally had our contract in on the first possible day. Love that it's walking distance from Epcot. Our go to resort for Food & Wine every year. Prefer it to BWV, although many - especially back then, sing the praise of the Boardwalk, the Scary Clown Pool and the never ending hallways. ;). Stormaway was also a draw to the resort, and we also like to walk to MGM (yeah... DHS...again, whatever...)

CCR - I just bought a fixed week for the first part of December. Guarantees that we will be able to get in each year without having to worry about being on the phone or waitlisting.

We currently have 4 "home" resorts. Here is what our reasoning was at the time:

OKW - large rooms, low points, further away from the parks, so we get more of a laid back vacation feel there. For the difference in points and room size, we prefer it to SSR.

VWL (yeah, yeah... BRV... whatever...) - like the theming, and again the fact that it's set off a bit. When the kids were little, we liked that we could feel like we were away from the parks when we got back to our resort, but we were only a quick boat ride from the Magic Kingdom. Loved the theming, although it (like most resorts) has gone more generic over the last couple of years, which disappoints me. Love the Christmas theming. Great memories of spending Christmas here, with presents under the 6 foot tree we put up in the living room!

BCV - We bought (and added on) before the resort was even built. Literally had our contract in on the first possible day. Love that it's walking distance from Epcot. Our go to resort for Food & Wine every year. Prefer it to BWV, although many - especially back then, sing the praise of the Boardwalk, the Scary Clown Pool and the never ending hallways. ;). Stormaway was also a draw to the resort, and we also like to walk to MGM (yeah... DHS...again, whatever...)

CCR - I just bought a fixed week for the first part of December. Guarantees that we will be able to get in each year without having to worry about being on the phone or waitlisting.
Tell me about that fixed week at CCV. What did you get, what week and what type unit? What was still available? I envy you. That is what I want soooooo badly. Dec fixed week for holiday decorations. I almost had DH talked into it...but he just couldn't swallow the price and so we added 150 more BWV resale ( was way cheaper than the studio fixed week in December). I wonder how well the fixed weeks at CCV have been selling.

Tell me about that fixed week at CCV. What did you get, what week and what type unit? What was still available? I envy you. That is what I want soooooo badly. Dec fixed week for holiday decorations. I almost had DH talked into it...but he just couldn't swallow the price and so we added 150 more BWV resale ( was way cheaper than the studio fixed week in December). I wonder how well the fixed weeks at CCV have been selling.

I bought a Studio fixed week 49. There were only 3 fixed week studios offered for each week in the first group. I grabbed the last one. This was last March. Fixed weeks aren't pushed by the Guides. We almost got a fixed week at VGF but we procrastinated too long. I'm still kicking myself, lol. Lesson learned: Grabbed this one fast. I think we'll be happy with the decision long term.

We chose AKV -- for us the resort is very unique, but i think what topped it for us is that we could get in at a lower price per point, MF are just slightly higher, but it is worth it for the savanna. And the points per night are reasonable for us. We are doing a split with Poly in April and i kind of fear that we will love it there too so i could see an add on in the future.

We bought into SSR resale in 2013. Although we had taken several trips to WDW, we were unfamiliar with DVC, and SSR had the best purchase value. (low maintenance fees, low purchase cost, longer contract than other DVC resorts). We figured that we would get in cheaper and we could sell SSR and buy into the DVC resort that we really liked. Since then, we have stayed at BWV, SSR, AKV, VWL, and VB. Unfortunately, we found out SSR is our least favorite DVC, but we also discovered AKV is our favorite DVC resort (so far). We have since bought two smaller loaded AKV DVC contracts, and will likely sell SSR DVC contract (maybe). We really wanted the ability to book AKV club level, and we are taking our first AKV club level trip in three weeks, which will also be a split stay at BCV. We intend to keep trying other DVC resorts until we are certain AKV is the right fit for us. I still think that if you are ok with not staying at the same resort every year, then buying at a cheaper DVC resort is the better way to go.

VGF is our MK resort, WDW flagship resort, need I say more.
BRV for it's theming.
BWV is our Epcot/DHS resort, love the boardwalk view.
BLT bought before the resort opened, wish we hadn't, location is great, building is like any other hotel.
BCV first purchase, love the YC/BC area, while the BCV units are nice, we like BWV better.
AKV too remote with less to do, availability isn't an issue, sold all but one contract.

IMO the resorts when new and are being sold tend to get the better theming, maintenance and cleanings, after selling out, the properties don't get the white glove treatment and some of the theming is taken away when the units are refurbed.

:earsboy: Bill

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter