• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need must do ideas and tactics for a very quick trip & yes it's my first to Disneyland!

dfb

Mouseketeer
My wife, adult son and myself are traveling to Garden Grove (very near Disneyland) California Oct 26 - 30 2017. We'll be working a free medical clinic for the weekend. We'll have the afternoon off on Friday 10/27. So what the heck we'll just go to Disneyland. We have tickets that night for the Halloween Party. The tickets are park hoppers and include photopass.

We are from Tennessee and we've all been to WDW many times, including several Not so scary Halloween party events. We have never been to Disneyland. I know going for only a few hours at Halloween time isn't your normal first visit type trip but we are ....abnormal!!

Any pointers / tactics and must do ideas.
  • Plan on going to California adventure at 4PM ride/see must do attractions.
  • Go to Disneyland at 7PM for the party - see parade, rides etc. Do they have two parades as they do at WDW? Are there any must do shows? Are the fireworks basically Hallowishes like WDW or different?
  • I know Haunted mansion & space mountain are Halloween themed. Anything else specially decorated.
  • I understand there is a Halloween parade somewhere in town, when does that happen?
  • Also any must do attractions that are at DLR but not WDW?
  • Must do Dining suggestions for a very quick trip?
  • Are we crazy or what???

Gonna start our plan of attack, looking for any starting suggestions. If you are wondering what we want to do most: Rides, shows, attractions, dining??? The answer is YES.

Thanks for any help!!

You'll have from 4pm to midnight between DCA and DL.
During the MHP there will be no FP's for rides in DL.
With the limited time you'll be having at DLR I'd skip sit down meals and grab something from one of the counter service places.

For the party schedule, I've heard that all Friday nights will have the same schedule. So if you are wondering what will be happening, you can go to this link and look at a Friday night.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendars/five-day/2017-09-29/

Last edited:
  1. Since you routinely visit WDW but haven't been to DL, use can use the parkhopper to your advantage. There are many things at DCA that are not available in WDW. The new Guardians ride is allegedly great, you have the entirety of Cars Land (the lighting ceremony is pretty awesome if you liked the movie-just ask a cast member when the lighting is for that night), you have California Screamin', and all of the great food varieties which should please everyone in your group. Ghirardelli gives a free chocolate when you enter the store! There are a few beer places and a Trattoria if any in your party prefer wine. Personally, I love the cove bar (overlooks the water under the Mickey Wheel and all ages welcome). The quality has gone down a bit from what it used to be, but it's still wonderful for appetizers and drinks (also for watching World of Color if they still allow that).
  • Go to Disneyland at 7PM for the party - see parade, rides etc. Do they have two parades as they do at WDW? Are there any must do shows? Are the fireworks basically Hallowishes like WDW or different?
  1. It's been a while since I've been an AP/gone regularly, but I believe there are. You should be able to check the schedule online. I believe the new Fantasmic is only available on weekends, from what I've seen. That may be due to the Halloween Party. But if it's showing, that is a MUST do. I'm not too sure on the fireworks for this time of the year, this year.
  • I know Haunted mansion & space mountain are Halloween themed. Anything else specially decorated.
  1. No rides, but New Orleans square has a little bit of a decorated feel. They used to decorate the area behind BTM but that time has come and gone, sadly. The entrance to the end of main street is decorated.
  • I understand there is a Halloween parade somewhere in town, when does that happen?
  1. I've never heard of this! Hopefully somebody else knows because I want to know now.
  1. Indiana Jones' ride isn't available in WDW, if I remember correctly. Tarzan's treehouse has a bit of Disney magic hidden at the end (Beauty and the Beast themed), Alice's ride in Fantasyland, Storybook Canal ride (good for photography but not a must see), Pinocchio shockingly, all of toon town for Mickey and Friends (and Roger Rabbit) but the area might be closed for the day, the Matterhorn!, Finding Nemo submarine ride, and that's it I think...
  1. Depends on your preferences but Jolly Holiday is simple but good, Carthay Circle if you have time (must do for my wife and I, even if it's just the lounge), café Orleans for French inspired food, Carnation Café for a variety of food, and Napa Rose if you want more upscale. If you go to Downtown Disney, you can't go wrong either .
  1. Belle yeah! But when in Rome... The last thing to keep in mind is Disneyland is more intimate. It's not going to feel anywhere as spacious as World. There is also a higher concentration of AP from the local area than out-of-state/nation tourists so you'll find people can be more relaxed and not so rush rush, though it does happen. There are many hidden gems at Disneyland that I don't want to list here because they are best discovered. One thing I will say: In the Haunted Mansion, you'll see a tiger rug with Aladdin-style shoes at the bottom. Despite my asking, Disney has yet to confirm Raja and Aladdin visited the Mansion in search of a gold lamp that they never found. Enjoy your trip and share some pictures if you take any!

You'll have from 4pm to midnight between DCA and DL.
During the MHP there will be no FP's for rides in DL.
With the limited time you'll be having at DLR I'd skip sit down meals and grab something from one of the counter service places.

For the party schedule, I've heard that all Friday nights will have the same schedule. So if you are wondering what will be happening, you can go to this link and look at a Friday night.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendars/five-day/2017-09-29/

1. Since you routinely visit WDW but haven't been to DL, use can use the parkhopper to your advantage. There are many things at DCA that are not available in WDW. The new Guardians ride is allegedly great, you have the entirety of Cars Land (the lighting ceremony is pretty awesome if you liked the movie-just ask a cast member when the lighting is for that night), you have California Screamin', and all of the great food varieties which should please everyone in your group. Ghirardelli gives a free chocolate when you enter the store! There are a few beer places and a Trattoria if any in your party prefer wine. Personally, I love the cove bar (overlooks the water under the Mickey Wheel and all ages welcome). The quality has gone down a bit from what it used to be, but it's still wonderful for appetizers and drinks (also for watching World of Color if they still allow that).
  1. It's been a while since I've been an AP/gone regularly, but I believe there are. You should be able to check the schedule online. I believe the new Fantasmic is only available on weekends, from what I've seen. That may be due to the Halloween Party. But if it's showing, that is a MUST do. I'm not too sure on the fireworks for this time of the year, this year.
  1. No rides, but New Orleans square has a little bit of a decorated feel. They used to decorate the area behind BTM but that time has come and gone, sadly. The entrance to the end of main street is decorated.
  1. I've never heard of this! Hopefully somebody else knows because I want to know now.
  1. Indiana Jones' ride isn't available in WDW, if I remember correctly. Tarzan's treehouse has a bit of Disney magic hidden at the end (Beauty and the Beast themed), Alice's ride in Fantasyland, Storybook Canal ride (good for photography but not a must see), Pinocchio shockingly, all of toon town for Mickey and Friends (and Roger Rabbit) but the area might be closed for the day, the Matterhorn!, Finding Nemo submarine ride, and that's it I think...
  1. Depends on your preferences but Jolly Holiday is simple but good, Carthay Circle if you have time (must do for my wife and I, even if it's just the lounge), café Orleans for French inspired food, Carnation Café for a variety of food, and Napa Rose if you want more upscale. If you go to Downtown Disney, you can't go wrong either .
  1. Belle yeah! But when in Rome... The last thing to keep in mind is Disneyland is more intimate. It's not going to feel anywhere as spacious as World. There is also a higher concentration of AP from the local area than out-of-state/nation tourists so you'll find people can be more relaxed and not so rush rush, though it does happen. There are many hidden gems at Disneyland that I don't want to list here because they are best discovered. One thing I will say: In the Haunted Mansion, you'll see a tiger rug with Aladdin-style shoes at the bottom. Despite my asking, Disney has yet to confirm Raja and Aladdin visited the Mansion in search of a gold lamp that they never found. Enjoy your trip and share some pictures if you take any!

Thanks for the info. It feels different being the newbie but it's also kind of fun. We'll break out the maps and look over the park schedules and get our game plan together. Since our time is so limited we just want to hit the must do items and use this trip as a scouting trip for our planned trip. Our planned trip that keeps getting postponed. We were planning on going next May but that trip has already been postponed to an unknown date as of now. Hopefully one of these days we'll make it!

Thanks again.

Must do attractions and shows:
Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout
Radiator Springs Racers (And Cars Land in general)
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indy
Space Mt. - Ghost Galaxy
Matterhorn
Pirates of the Caribbean
Alice in Wonderland
Fantasmic!

My restaurant suggestion for DL during the party would be The Plaza Inn. We eat here every year at the party and its not crowded and its a QS restaurant that has a really good fried chicken meal. If you prefer pasta they have that as well. My DD always gets pasta but I prefer the chicken.

Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indy
Space Mt. - Ghost Galaxy
Matterhorn
Pirates of the Caribbean
Alice in Wonderland
Fantasmic!

Looks like a good list! Thanks

My restaurant suggestion for DL during the party would be The Plaza Inn. We eat here every year at the party and its not crowded and its a QS restaurant that has a really good fried chicken meal. If you prefer pasta they have that as well. My DD always gets pasta but I prefer the chicken.

I'll second the Plaza Inn fried chicken meal. It's really good.

Sounds delicious! Thanks.

Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indy
Space Mt. - Ghost Galaxy
Matterhorn
Pirates of the Caribbean
Alice in Wonderland
Fantasmic!

Doesn't California Adventure have a good sized roller coaster? Is it any good?

Doesn't California Adventure have a good sized roller coaster? Is it any good?
Yes, California Screamin'. I love it, it's a launched coaster, very smooth with a decent amount of ride time and one inversion.

Reactions: dfb
I think screamin is like rock n roller coaster.

My DCA must eats are the portobello at award wieners and Boardwalk pasta. Great salad and pasta.

If your time is too full there French market would be my go to in DL.

Plaza inn is good too though.

I'd skip finding nemo. Snooze.

http://anaheimhalloweenparade.org/

http://disneylandcompendium.blogspot.com/2009/10/halloween-holiday-that-brought.html

I did some research.

The parade I was thinking of was actually the Anaheim Halloween parade, not a Disney parade.

Apparently it will happen on 28 Oct this year. If we are done with our clinic we'll definitely go.

According to the article this parade started in 1924. Disney has had various levels of participation throughout the years. As the story goes this parade had some impact on Disney choosing Anaheim for the park's location. Don't know how valid that info is but that's the story. I wonder if Disney still is active with the parade?

Maybe someone can shed some light on the facts?

In addition to Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion the Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout will become Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark so it'd be cool to check out both variations.

Maybe a stupid question but... can you ride the Disneyland monorail without a park ticket? At WDW from the monorail resorts or TTC you could get on the monorail to MK loop or Epcot loop without entering any parks / no park ticket required. Just ride around the loop. Can you do the same at Disneyland? Watching videos I see one stop is DTD / VGC and goes to tomorrow land. Can you just keep riding the loop without getting off or being in the park?

I've been to Halloween Time two years a row now. I'm sad I'm missing DCA this year, but hopefully I can assist.

Plan on going to California adventure at 4PM ride/see must do attractions. Super fun! Do the single-rider line at Racers (right at the back of the park but worth it), then aim for Guardians if you can, and Soarin'. I'd also try for Toy Story Mania, but they have that at WDW, right? So maybe not a 'must' do for you. Maybe California Screamin' would be a fun go for you. I'm a picture person, so I'd totally get all the photos of the Halloween characters throughout DCA and Carsland.
Go to Disneyland at 7PM for the party - see parade, rides etc. Do they have two parades as they do at WDW? There's only one parade, but it's run twice through the evening. You'll know it's happening when you see the Headless Horseman ride by. Are there any must do shows? At this time of night, the Fantasy Faire Theatre is usually turned into a meeting area for a whack of princesses. If you're into signatures and such, that's what I did last year and loved it. Now, there are usually the villains at the city entrance doing meets and sometimes they put on a bit of a show, but nothing you'll be sad you missed IMO. Are the fireworks basically Hallowishes like WDW or different? They're slightly different I believe. They have projections of Jack Skellington and Oogy Boogy, along with other villains against the castle and main street, and again, they run it twice.
I know Haunted mansion & space mountain are Halloween themed. Anything else specially decorated. There are yellow and orange decorations throughout. You'll see giant ghost Mickey's that denote the start of Trick or Treat Trails. No other ride in DLR is themed, but maybe something in DCA might be.

I understand there is a Halloween parade somewhere in town, when does that happen? I think you found your answer on this.
Also any must do attractions that are at DLR but not WDW? I've not been to WDW, so I can't answer that, but when I did the MHPs last year (I did two), the first one I spent getting autographs of all the characters who were out, and the second one I spent riding the rides! Indy is always a great ride, and Big Thunder Railroad at night is outstanding!
Must do Dining suggestions for a very quick trip? I'd say to go to a QS and just nibble all night - Bengal BBQ in AdventureLand will keep you going, and there are great snacks and nibbles all over the place, including hot chocolate if you're so inclined.
Are we crazy or what??? Nope!! You're going to have a great time!

From 4-7 at DCA, you are not going to be able to get a lot done.
You could do Tower (1.5 hours standby) and Radiator Springs Racers (1.5 hours standby) and that's it.

OR, skip Tower, do RSR single rider (30-45 mins), Mater's (20-30 mins), Rollikin Roadsters (30 mins), Screamin' (20-30 mins with FP), Monsters Inc (back row passes, 10 mins), Fun Wheel swinging car (30 mins) and spend some time just looking at cool stuff (Bugsland, Challenge Trail).

I've not done the Halloween Party (I'm never going to spend $95 per person, on top of park admission for the day... that is just insane!), so no advice on what to do there.

I've been to Halloween Time two years a row now. I'm sad I'm missing DCA this year, but hopefully I can assist.

Are we crazy or what??? Nope!! You're going to have a great time!

You bet we will!!! We'll squeeze in as much as we can but mainly just want see DLR and scout for a more extensive trip later. Thanks for the info!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter