New DDP 2018 Changes! Post your actual experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to 50’s prime time cafe. Our server said an adult can have anything on the alcoholic beverages menu (though we didn’t ask if that included drinks with the glowing cube.).

For the kids menu (which states their meal comes with milk or water) he said he could sub out for soda but would NOT let us sub out for milkshakes or other kids specialty drinks.

Just went to 50’s prime time cafe. Our server said an adult can have anything on the alcoholic beverages menu (though we didn’t ask if that included drinks with the glowing cube.).

For the kids menu (which states their meal comes with milk or water) he said he could sub out for soda but would NOT let us sub out for milkshakes or other kids specialty drinks.

I thought that the kids could order milkshakes where they were available. Perhaps I am not remembering that correctly?

I thought that the kids could order milkshakes where they were available. Perhaps I am not remembering that correctly?

I thought so too, and DS wanted a float. But I was told no.

That's why you have to read the whole thing:

Beverages:
Guests under 21 years of age can choose one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered). Guests 21 and older can choose either one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered) or one single-serving mixed cocktail, beer, or wine (where offered) within their meal entitlement.

A single-serving non-alcoholic beverage includes items such as:

• Artisanal Milkshakes
  • Fresh Smoothies
  • Premium Hot Chocolate
  • Soda, Coffee or Tea

Apparently 50s has decided that they are only offering soda, coffee, or tea as their specialty beverage.

Beverages:
Guests under 21 years of age can choose one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered). Guests 21 and older can choose either one non-alcoholic beverage (including specialty beverages where offered) or one single-serving mixed cocktail, beer, or wine (where offered) within their meal entitlement.

• Artisanal Milkshakes
  • Fresh Smoothies
  • Premium Hot Chocolate
  • Soda, Coffee or Tea

Apparently 50s has decided that they are only offering soda, coffee, or tea as their specialty beverage.

I did read the entire thing. I took “where offered“ as meaning where served. For example, milkshakes can only be offered where they are served. I can’t imagine that I am the only person who read it that way.

I did read the entire thing. I took “where offered“ as meaning where served. For example, milkshakes can only be offered where they are served. I can’t imagine that I am the only person who read it that way.
That’s the way I read it. “Where offered” to me means if they serve it there it’s offered there.

I’m starting to rethink purchasing the dining plan this trip. We usually get the Dxdp, but for all that money I would expect something other than a bottle of water or milk. Our 15 year old is really getting the short end since we’re paying adult prices for her and she doesn’t get alcohol. What artisanal milkshakes have they added? They look like the same ones they always had. And has anyone seen specialty hot chocolates anywhere:confused3

DH loves the prepaid aspect of the dining plan and I feel we have saved money with the Dxdp, but I’m not sure how much longer it will work for us.

In previous years, milk shakes were typically only available on the adult menu and required an adult dining credit. I don't recall seeing milkshakes added to the kids' menus this year so while they are offered at the restaurants, they are not being offered as a choice on the kids' menus which might be why it can't be ordered with a child's credit.

I don't think milkshakes are in any of the kids' menus at all. But if the DDP brochure says "artisanal milkshakes" (their words) are included for the kids, and there's a restaurant that offers artisanal milkshakes, I would assume they would be included for the kids. My guess is that because this is the first year with these inclusions, we'll see some bumps.

Beverages:

• Artisanal Milkshakes
  • Fresh Smoothies
  • Premium Hot Chocolate
  • Soda, Coffee or Tea

Except that kids menu had a box CLEARLY marked specialty beverages that included things like floats etc. So they WERE offered. But when I tried to look up the dining plan rules on my phone, our waiter (who was playing the sassy/rude waiter to a “T”) gave me a ton of grief. So I just let it go.

Except that kids menu had a box CLEARLY marked specialty beverages that included things like floats etc. So they WERE offered. But when I tried to look up the dining plan rules on my phone, our waiter (who was playing the sassy/rude waiter to a “T”) gave me a ton of grief. So I just let it go.

By that logic, ANY alcoholic drink that is ON THE MENU is offered, so they should all be eligible.

All I'm saying is that each restaurant gets to decide what they will OFFER as eligible for the dining plan.

I just had dinner tonight at Paddlefish and all the alcoholic beverages listed on their menu are included in the DxDDP. The waiter told us that if we request a specific top shelf or specialty liquor (like a specific brand of vodka) it may not be included.

I just recently returned from Disney and had the DxDP. We were a party of nine with 2 reservations. The plan was put on one reservation with 3 adults and 2 kids. The other had no plan, all adults (well 2 real adults and 2 in Disney's eyes). As people have reported, credits were pooled and I had no problem whatsoever using credits for all the adults and paying OOP (when monetarily beneficial) for the kiddos. Further, the kiddos were almost always offered to order of the adult menu or get adult-sized portions of kid menu items.

Some highlights:

I found that contrary to what I was expecting and heard on here from earlier reports, I was advised by the server at almost every TS meal about the adults being able to get adult drinks. I'm guessing after doing it for a couple weeks it became part of their routine. The exceptions were breakfasts, Ohana, Boma, and Wave notably. However after asking we were able to get Mimosas (with POG at Boma and Ohana - Yum) or Bloody Mary's (or anything else for that matter).

I won't name where due to not wanting to get anyone in trouble but there were a couple occasions where the server didn't bother to segregate the seats and so second adult drinks ordered by the adults were "comped" by the plan. Both times I had a TIW ready to pay for the additional drinks and was told "no other charges, just the grat" (auto-grat party of 9). When I looked surprised she said, "I ran the plan and it took it, I didn't make the rules Disney did. I'm not about to separate that many seats." I know this isn't the norm (and wasn't) and only happened a couple times but thought it was worth mentioning.

California Grill brunch we were allowed to get a Bloody Mary in addition to the included Mimosas on the plan. That surprised me.

Tusker House ROL package we were offered adult drinks.

California Grill dinner any glass of wine/sparkling/champagne was included. Items you couldn't get were clearly marked (high end shots mostly).

The last night we couldn't eat much more food so used some credits at QS (Captain Cooks). We were allowed to take an unopened can of beer with each one.

In conclusion, in my experience it seemed like the servers were very laid back about giving the drinks or anything else for that matter. It makes sense to me as the more they allow on the plan the larger tip they'll get (especially in my case with parties of 9 and auto-grat). The other conclusion, I don't know how people can get the DxDP on one reservation. It was my first time ever on any DDP and my goodness was it so much food! We had a hard time sharing it across 2 reservations!

I just recently returned from Disney and had the DxDP. We were a party of nine with 2 reservations. The plan was put on one reservation with 3 adults and 2 kids. The other had no plan, all adults (well 2 real adults and 2 in Disney's eyes). As people have reported, credits were pooled and I had no problem whatsoever using credits for all the adults and paying OOP (when monetarily beneficial) for the kiddos. Further, the kiddos were almost always offered to order of the adult menu or get adult-sized portions of kid menu items.

Some highlights:

I found that contrary to what I was expecting and heard on here from earlier reports, I was advised by the server at almost every TS meal about the adults being able to get adult drinks. I'm guessing after doing it for a couple weeks it became part of their routine. The exceptions were breakfasts, Ohana, Boma, and Wave notably. However after asking we were able to get Mimosas (with POG at Boma and Ohana - Yum) or Bloody Mary's (or anything else for that matter).

I won't name where due to not wanting to get anyone in trouble but there were a couple occasions where the server didn't bother to segregate the seats and so second adult drinks ordered by the adults were "comped" by the plan. Both times I had a TIW ready to pay for the additional drinks and was told "no other charges, just the grat" (auto-grat party of 9). When I looked surprised she said, "I ran the plan and it took it, I didn't make the rules Disney did. I'm not about to separate that many seats." I know this isn't the norm (and wasn't) and only happened a couple times but thought it was worth mentioning.

California Grill brunch we were allowed to get a Bloody Mary in addition to the included Mimosas on the plan. That surprised me.

California Grill dinner any glass of wine/sparkling/champagne was included. Items you couldn't get were clearly marked (high end shots mostly).

The last night we couldn't eat much more food so used some credits at QS (Captain Cooks). We were allowed to take an unopened can of beer with each one.

In conclusion, in my experience it seemed like the servers were very laid back about giving the drinks or anything else for that matter. It makes sense to me as the more they allow on the plan the larger tip they'll get (especially in my case with parties of 9 and auto-grat). The other conclusion, I don't know how people can get the DxDP on one reservation. It was my first time ever on any DDP and my goodness was it so much food! We had a hard time sharing it across 2 reservations!
So you intentionally paid for children on the DxDP knowing you were going to use their credits for adults?

So you intentionally paid for children on the DxDP knowing you were going to use their credits for adults?

Of course, it's allowed! The servers didn't bat an eye and they can clearly see who's on the plan when they scanned my band. Although I wouldn't say it's the only reason I bought the plan. We had a lot of character buffets and one my kiddos can eat like an adult (although my DS13 is picky and eats like a child - go figure). But in occasions where a child, whether a 9 or 13 year old, ordered a kids meal at a non-buffet TS, I didn't waste a deluxe credit and paid OOP. It would be silly to do otherwise.

Some highlights:

So after asking at Boma you could get pretty much any drink you wanted? That's great news =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter