New Point Tables

Chameleon

Mouseketeer
Can anyone read the 2002 point tables for OKW, BWV or WLV? At least the point on the Disney collection did not go up 37%! It is more like 50% for GF.

There are no changes for the DVC Resorts for 2003 (no changes since 1996).

Some of the GF dates went down - some went up. Since the seasons have been changed it does require some analysis.

While it appears that more dates may have gone up- there are some decreases. Christmas went down- from 54 points weekdays/102 weekends, to 52/94 points. Easter is no longer considered a Holiday season- it is "Peak Season" and (at GF) went down from 54/102 to 45/81. July and August went down from 43/78 to 35/63.

GF now has Garden View, Lagoon View and Concierge as choices with corresponding point costs.

Moderate resorts appear (at 1st glance) to have more decreases than increases.

Thanks for the quick response. Your comments are as valuable as weekend points at the GF during Christmas.

I was "toying" with the idea of taking my niece to GF in October 2002 or 2003. I had taken her older sister (then 9 years old) before I joined DVC in 1999 and it was a great location to hit all the monorail resort character breakfasts and MK. It was her first time away from home and I wanted to make it nice (got a MKC rate). I thought it was a crazy idea when it was 173 points on the old chart (5 nights arriving on Sat due to airfare), but now it would be 226 (garden view)! Even if we could get a decent airfare leaving on Sunday it would be 196 (the airlines seem to be relaxing the Saturday night stay rule). Considering people have been getting AP rates of $199 for this fall, that's way too many points. So it will be cash or Boardwalk on points!

My eyes are still bugging out and it's kind of late to be trying to absorb all this. Haven't really tackled the WDW resorts carefully yet but the Concierge Collection looks to be mostly shifts of dates, addition of more time periods and moderate increases in points needed. The one exception looks to be the Boston Harbor Hotel. This was always high and seems to have taken some big jumps. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? Is it really worth 55-68 points per night? (Up from 49-57 points which was bad enough)

But the Alaska Cruise went down to 200 points. Was 302, then 275, then 225, now 200. Also only 40 points for child. It is certainly becoming a more viable option assuming cash prices haven't gone down that much and I suspect they haven't but I'll need ot check for sure. I'm glad I'm going to HI next year but I must say I wish I could do Alaska now to as I might just have to consider using points this time.

I must be missing something. Was all this information in the new VM that I have not yet received? I guess I will have to check the members website. It sound like all the sound and fury here about something being "taken away" was not as bad as mass hysteria would have us to believe.

Diane, I was going to ask the same thing...where is the info coming from? Haven't gotten anything in the mail with it.

I haven't been totally following all this on the boards...been busy. But I get the gist of it. I was wondering (with what little info I have) if the points for the Disney Collection went down during times when the DVC resorts are most popular, and up at other times. Helps ease the problem for people who can't get a ressie at a DVC resort during those times...they can stay at non-DVC resorts for less points than before??

Like I said...I'm coming in kind of late on this discussion, so if that's just an "off" theory, "never mind". :D

Alaska cruise??!! :D :D :D

Call me nuts but...
I would never dream of using that many points for a stay at GF when you could stay at BWV, VWL, & soon BCV for less than half the points.
Someone will have to tell me if I'm missing something here. We're talking about a standard room for this many points, right?
I would say thats about the equivalent of a studio.
BWV or VWL, during Premier Season, is only 19/43 and thats preferred view at BWV. July and Aug it's only 14/32.
I've never stayed at GF so I may be talking out of the wrong end but I've been to the resort and I would put BWV or VWL on it's level. They are different themeing but I think every bit as nice. GF has a grandiose lobby and the monorail wich are big plusses but I've heard the transportation to MGM or AK, leaves something to be desired. In fact the monorail can be troublesome also... We visited the POLY on our last stay and had to wait almost 1/2 hour for a mono and when it came it was too full to get on. There was another one a couple of minutes later. It was very frustrating.
I don't see why you would ever stay at any of the other WDW resorts other than DVC on points.
Maybe after I've been a member for 15-20 years I'll be singing a different toon. That is after I've bounced between, BWV (Home), VWL, BCV, OKW, EPV (or whatever it's going to be called) and any other DVC resorts they might add. BTW, if the description is correct on the last of these (EPV)... This resort will be every bit as grandiose as GF. I also took a look at the construction on BCV and took a good look at the artist rendition they have at the work site and this place looks like it's going to be VERY nice (bigger than I originally thought too).

P.S.
I hope I didn't offend any OKW owners by not including it in a comparison to GF but I feel OKW is a totally different type of resort. Much more home away frome home. For what you get point wise at OKW compared to GF, I would much rather stay at OKW. Lets see 3 days at OKW or one at GF??? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I was going to ask the same thing...where is the info coming from? Haven't gotten anything in the mail with it.

The charts are on the member website. Go under "plan your getaway". They download into acrobat.

I'm copying my thoughts from Johnnie Fedora's post here as well I'm glad to hear some things went down. However, the increases for GF are pretty substantial:

I think we've basically got to say that using DVC points to stay at WDW resorts has never been a good idea. The points have made a dramatic change to accomodate hotel seasons instead of DVC season and to offer us several different price point options. Hopefully, this is the transition year and in the future the points will remain more or less constant as they have in the past. A GF room is roughly equivalent to a BWV Preferred or VWL two-bedroom or more. I took a close look at GF but I think analyzing these charts is probably just nuts....we either pay to stay or we don't. For those who are interested, here are some ideas I had on the GF chart.

In the past, DVC points usually gave you a Lagoon View at the GF. Now, there are three levels of points Garden, Lagoon and Concierge. Comparison to Lagoon view would be roughly equal to what we had in the past but there is also the lesser point option as well (or higher Concierge). I compared DVC seasons from last year to the new hotel seasons. I did not look for when specific dates fell on weekends or weekdays.

January up 15 points S-Th and 29 points F-Sa +58% and 64%
Feb 1-13 up 7 points S-Th and 12 points F-Sa +21% and 19%
Feb 14-15 up 20 and 35 or 32% and 31%
Feb. 16-Mar. 23 up 11 and 19 or 26% 24%
Mar. 24-April 6 up 3 points S-Th and down 5 F-Sa or +6%
and –5%
April 7-20 up 11 and 19 or 26% 24%
April 21-30 up 3 and 5 points or 7% and 6%
All of May-June 10 up 12 and 21 points or 15% and 13%
June 11-July 3 up 3 and 5 points or 7% and 6%
July 4-Aug 15 down 2 and 4 points or –5% for both
Aug 16-31 up 7 and 12 points or 21% and 19%
September up 15 and 29 points or +58% and 64%
Oct. 1-2 up 11 and 21 points or +37% and +40%
Oct. 3-Nov. 2 up 16 and 30 or +53% and +57%
Nov. 3-26 up 11 and 21 or 37% and 40%
Nov. 27-29 down 2 and 4 points or –5% for both
Nov. 30 up 11 and 21 or 37% and 40%
Dec. 1-14 up 15 and 29 points or +58% and 64%
Dec. 15-19 up 11 and 21 points or +37% and +40%
Dec. 20-23 up 30 and 55 points or 100% and 104%
Dec 24-31 up 9 and 6 or 18% and 6%

It is possible to book Garden View and reduce the amount of the increase or to actually show some decreases. The decreases are March 24-April 6; April 21-30; June 11-Aug. 15; Nov. 27-29 and weekends Dec. 24-31. The decreases range from 8%-21% or 4 to 21 points per night.

Using points to stay at the Moderates is always an odd choice. You can, or almost can, stay in a one-bedroom in almost every case. However, the new point charts do bring the cost down, sometimes significantly, in most cases. Some go up, January & September go up 2 points per weekday and 8 points per weekend and Dec. 20-23 are up 5 weekday and 13 weekends. Dec. 24-31 are down 14 on weekdays and 12 on weekends. Overall, it looks like the moderates are coming out ahead in the adjustment.

A less in-depth look at the Contemporary shows Tower view in 2002 ranging from 35-86 points. Tower view in 2001 ranged from 22-92 points. Looks like we are seeing mostly increases here. Garden ranged from 20-89 in 2001. Now there are two levels -- Garden Standard from 24-63 and Garden View from 28-70. It looks like there may be some savings in the higher end times.

PAMOKW,
You Said:
A GF room is roughly equivalent to a BWV Preferred or VWL two-bedroom or more.
Do you mean point wise or do you mean accomodations?
I thought they were two beds in one room sleeping 4 like a studio.

I almost went back to clarify -- guess I'll do that now. I'm talking pointwise. Reality wise, a 2 bedroom has it all over a GF hotel room.

Originally posted by dianeschlicht
I must be missing something. Was all this information in the new VM that I have not yet received? I guess I will have to check the members website. It sound like all the sound and fury here about something being "taken away" was not as bad as mass hysteria would have us to believe.
Actually, it seemed worse to me than the original speculation. Overall a significant increase to use the worst room in the DC compared to run of the house before. The Alaskan Cruise was the only bright spot to me.

I think you are right Dean. In terms, of the WDW luxury resorts, it's fairly misleading for DVC to say "some went down". The only "down" is due to where a DVC season was higher than the new hotel season. Points needed to reserve the same room as in the past have gone up quite dramatically.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the point charts were not all switched around with different seasons and room types but just showed the true increases? If the seasons had been kept the same as DVC we could clearly see Adventure Season for GF increases, 58% for weekdays and 64% for weekends.

Sunday thru Thursday 26 points
Friday & Saturday 45 points

Sunday thru Thursday 41 points
Friday & Saturday 74 points

(Garden view is 35/63)

I still question what the reason is for the dramatic increases. Why is DVC expected to carry the costs for the hotels while at the same time they are offering dramatic discounts to the general public?

PamOKW, I agree with you. I cannot figure it out either. Do you think they "created" these new point charts during 2000 when WDW was so loaded with paying guests? This year is a completely different story than last year. Maybe those charts need to be revised downward along with the decrease that WDW has seen with the slow economy. Just a thought.

I would be curious to know of the members that have responded to this particular thread, how many have ever participated in the DC program?

Hey folks, I'm in the process of buying a resale and am not yet an official member so I can't get to the points charts for 2002. Is there someplace out there where they are posted so a not-yet-member can see or download them? Thanx !

The only place is on the members site. Many of the dates are included in posts on this board. You can do a search for "Point Charts" or "DC" and see what you get here.

I wouldn't base a purchase decision on non-DVC point charts though. The value is not very good compared to DVC resorts.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter