New Point Tables

I think it also takes away flexibility in the regards that everyone will be booking their home resort 11 months out because if you don't book it then, you may never get a ressie, so now everyone will be staying at their home resort more thereby decreasing flexibilty to stay at other DVC resorts since nothing will be left with a seven month booking window.

So now that moniker buy where you want to stay becomes an even larger issue because you may not get in anywhere else unless you cough up BIG points to do so.

Just another note on why some might book a cabin at FW on points....they sleep 6! DVC 1br's only sleep 4 plus one under 3. If I were to have another child I think its something I'd do occasionally rather than book a 2br. And FW is a very fun place to stay.

My thoughts on the whole DC issue are actually fairly positive. We had considered booking AKL on points for a few days this Jan. but decided not to because at the time we couldn't be guaranteed a savannah view. Now we have that option, as well as the option of concierge at the hotels that offer it. It seems to me we do have more options now. Yes, they are more "expensive" in terms of points, but if you consider the cost of a concierge room and the fact that these are not ever discounted (though I have heard a few reports of people getting a discount on concierge the general concensus seems to be that they are not supposed to be discounted at all) its not that terrible. Will I use this option? Maybe. With only 200 points, 4 days with a lagoon view concierge room at the Poly must compete with something like 10 days in a BWV studio....its not a choice I'm going to make lightly. But if I'm ever in a bind and need to do something quickly with a bunch of points a concierge stay would make me feel a whole lot better about the situation.

In the past, the DC Collection usually gave a member a wonderful room....the best excluding suites and concierge. (I never heard of anyone complaining about the room they were assigned.)

In the AKL example you will now pay a 32% increase to get a savannah view or 23% increase to get a room that is worse than you would have gotten in 2001.

One night AKL Concierge in January is equivalent to 1 1/2 nights in a 2 Bedroom BWV Preferred or VWL, or 2 nights in an OKW 2 bedroom or 1 1/4 nights in a Grand Villa at OKW.

LESLEY; That is a good and valid point about the FW Cabins sleeping 6. Keep in mind too, that they are fully equiped with a kitchen and ironing board, like a DVC 1BR and you park outside your door, which you can't do at VWL, BWV nor BCV.

4 Su-Th nights in the Poly Lagoon Concierge would get you 16 nights in the BWV Preferred Studio or 21 nights in the standard studio. (These are all Su-Th days). ;)

Like I said, points wise its not exactly a good deal (never was) but it does give more options. There was never any guarantee at any of the DC hotels that we would get anything but a standard room...yes, most did get better, but I was not going to spend points and not know what I was really going to get unless I felt I'd be happy with a standard room. At AKL I would not have been pleased to be given a parking lot view.

I'm not happy about how much the points increased, but there's not really anything I can do about it...except for stay at DVC resorts this year...which I had already decided to do anyway. And of course express my displeasure to MS.

And when reserving those 16 Sun-Thurs. nights....what about the 3 whole weekends? :) Actually I hadn't really done the math and was making a fast estimation based on our upcoming trips, which are in both studios, 1br's and a 2br. So I know I wasn't completely accurate.

This is just for fun....not judging anyone's plans just playing around with the numbers. I compared weekday to weekday...taking out the weekends. Another way to do it is a full week -- two weekend days and 5 weekdays at AKL Concierge in January compared to the preferred studio at BWV. You could get just shy of 4 full weeks at BWV and almost 5 weeks at OKW or in standard studio. ;) You'd get roughly two weeks in a one-bedroom.

:smooth: I echo vernon's earlier comment. It would be *nice* to feel like their was someone on the board representing DVC owners.
Everybody has done an outstanding job of analyzing the changes and concurred they were not done for OUR benefit. I understand the need to make hard financial decisions, however it is still disappointing that we are not given any kind of an explanation.
I purchased a vacation interest for the next 41 years. Loss of flexability de-values that interest from my point of view. OKW is great place, but every year for the next 41 years, isn't what I bought in to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter