• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2017

You pay a certain amount of money ($30?) and you get a portable charger. You use that charger until there is no charge left, and then you can stop at any other fuel rod station and pick up a fresh portable charger at no additional cost. You can do this as many times as you like/need.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it)
that's so cool where are the kiosks?!

that's so cool where are the kiosks?!

Info taken from here.

Not sure if there are other locations as well.

Walt Disney World

• Magic Kingdom
    • Tomorrowland Light and Power Co.
    • Big Top Souvenirs
    • Pecos Bill’s
    • Curtain Call Collectibles
    • Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe
  • Epcot
    • Disney Traders
    • International Gateway
    • Future World Camera Center
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios
    • Celebrity 5 & 10
    • PizzeRizzo
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    • Island Mercantile
  • Disney Springs
    • Marketplace Disney PhotoPass Studio
    • DisneyQuest
    • Sundries
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports
    • ESPN Clubhouse Shop
    • Sports Grill
    • HP Field-House
  • Most Walt Disney World Resorts
EDIT: I should not have been so lazy. Here is the actual Disney page:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/portable-phone-chargers/

You pay a certain amount of money ($30?) and you get a portable charger. You use that charger until there is no charge left, and then you can stop at any other fuel rod station and pick up a fresh portable charger at no additional cost. You can do this as many times as you like/need.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it)
Yep $30. It's $20 if bought online or at the airport.

I have been researching portable chargers for our upcoming trip, assuming that would be smarter than using these fuel rods. But until now I had never taken the time to actually read about the service. Yes, I could get one cheaper, and maybe even better from amazon. But I had no idea you could drop them off and have a "new" fully charged fuel rod dispensed to you. I think we'll definitely go with this option as it eliminated the need to have to recharge at night or in the parks. And I'm assuming you can keep it indefinitely and continue using the service the next year or the year after.

We love our fuel rod! This will be our third trip with it and we use it every day. Check the fuel rod website for kiosk locations near your home/airport - they are $10 cheaper. Alternatively, you can have one shipped to you ahead of time which is still cheaper than Disney. You can exchange them with no problems at the Disney kiosks.

I'm with rteetz. I take my own portable charger that has many chargers worth in it (13000 mAh). These seem to have a way too small capacity (~1000 mAh by one reviewers test). If I could get at least one complete charge out of it, it'd be better, but reviewers are reporting not even being able to accomplish that. I'd probably have to find a kiosk 2-4 times per day. Buying my own gets me higher capacity for less money, and it's something I'm much more likely to use in other places (like camping).

Others may disagree of course.

I'm with rteetz. I take my own portable charger that has many chargers worth in it (13000 mAh). These seem to have a way too small capacity (~1000 mAh by one reviewers test). If I could get at least one complete charge out of it, it'd be better, but reviewers are reporting not even being able to accomplish that. I'd probably have to find a kiosk 2-4 times per day. Buying my own gets me higher capacity for less money, and it's something I'm much more likely to use in other places (like camping).

Yeah my 20,000 one lasts me 4-5 days at Disney before needing to be recharged.

Yeah my 20,000 one lasts me 4-5 days at Disney before needing to be recharged.

I have a single charge one that is over 3 years old. I definitely am in need of a new one! What kind do you have/how heavy are they?

I have a single charge one that is over 3 years old. I definitely am in need of a new one! What kind do you have/how heavy are they?

I have the Anker PowerCore 13000. It's listed at 8.47 oz. (sounds about right) so it's not super light, but it is a battery. Dimensions are 3.8 x 3.1 x 0.9in. It's still going strong at about 1.5 years old. You can charge two device at the same time as well (need two cables).

Strangely, it was $20 when I got it back then, but it's listed at $30 now on Amazon. You'd think it'd be cheaper. There are plenty of other well-rated ones out there.

BREAKING: Monorail Blue Being Evacuated After Large Piece Falls Off, All Monorail Service Currently Suspended
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/06/break...lls-off-monorail-service-currently-suspended/

News

There is breaking news right now that a piece of monorail blue has fallen off. The monorail is being evacuated and all monorails are suspended.

WOAH! Thats so sad. I love the monorail! I hope a guest did not get hurt by it!

I know Disney is currently doing a lot of refurbishments and enhancements (It always does), but please replace the monorail. :) I know it would be a fortune and take some time, but they really are in bad shape. The breakdown, smell, and now pieces now fly off!

I have the Anker PowerCore 13000. It's listed at 8.47 oz. (sounds about right) so it's not super light, but it is a battery. Dimensions are 3.8 x 3.1 x 0.9in. It's still going strong at about 1.5 years old. You can charge two device at the same time as well (need two cables).

Strangely, it was $20 when I got it back then, but it's listed at $30 now on Amazon. You'd think it'd be cheaper. There are plenty of other well-rated ones out there.
Sounds like it was a great deal! I will have to browse and find a good price. I carry 3 individual ones (for me and family members) so I cannot imagine 1 big is that much heavier.

Sounds like it was a great deal! I will have to browse and find a good price. I carry 3 individual ones (for me and family members) so I cannot imagine 1 big is that much heavier.

They should list the weights and dimensions so it should be easy to compare.

I know Disney is currently doing a lot of refurbishments and enhancements (It always does), but please replace the monorail. :) I know it would be a fortune and take some time, but they really are in bad shape. The breakdown, smell, and now pieces now fly off!
a bunch of them just were down for refurb weren't they?

That's the only reason it's at all worth the cost. Otherwise it's an overpriced battery. The first purchase comes with cables to connect to android and apple phones. You can also recharge it yourself.
Use fuelrod's online site to find a location near you or buy online before you go. I've bought a couple for only $20. And those will allow you to switch in the parks, but for a much cheaper price. They are in many airports.

Money is the big concern with the monorail it's a huge cost with little return.

We love our fuel rod! This will be our third trip with it and we use it every day. Check the fuel rod website for kiosk locations near your home/airport - they are $10 cheaper. Alternatively, you can have one shipped to you ahead of time which is still cheaper than Disney. You can exchange them with no problems at the Disney kiosks.

It keeps getting better. I had no idea they worked outside the parks. So I can just pick one up at my local airport and it will work in WDW? Awesome.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter