• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not thrilled with all the CMs confusion re: dining plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewisc said:
I'm familiar with how the plan works and think getting a manager to override a CM who isn't willing to give you what you're not entitled to is obnoxious. You said you weren't the most popular person when you held up the line. You're right. Holding up the line until you found a manager that would give you more than you're entitled to is rude and obnoxious.

Most CS meals are combos and come with a side, sometimes even a choice.. As an example carrots can be substituted for fries at most CS locations.

CS meals that aren't combos, such as at the EOS, don't include side dishes. Guest who want a side dish, including chips, have to pay. That includes cash guests as well as MYW Dining guests. Another example is meat at breakfast. Most CS restaurant have an egg platter than includes bacon. At some CS restaurants if you order an entrée that doesn't come with bacon for cash guests then MYW Dining guests also have to pay for bacon. Many CM may let it slide but the brochure is clear, you get a combo or an entrée NOT an entrée and a side.

Your OP said

your are clearly wrong , read the brochure. Complaining to a manger is rude.

You are amazingly rude and ignorant. I never said that I complained to a "manger" or held up the line. My point, which is way above your comprehension also, apparently, is that I did not want to have to do that to get a more official, albeit perhaps yet still another interpretation, of the dining plan. If you would ever read what I posted without the bizarre chip on your shoulder you just might get a glimmer of the point. CMs are implementing the dining plan in various ways. Period. There are grey areas in the plan which are obviously confusing and people are justifiably upset when they cannot get straight answers. Many of us like to know all of the facts when we make the decision to purchase this type of option.

How hard is that for you to comprehend? Forget it, I would really rather not get your rabid response, babbling about bacon and whatever else, somehow finding fault with a very simple concept.

I would Love to see Disney go back to the old dinning plan. When we used the magic your way with dinning, also called the silver plan there were never any of these problems. And we were treated like roylaty at EVERY rest. we went to. The servers loved that we were on the dining because they knew that we were not only going to have a higher check total than everyone else, but that they were going to get a good tip. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I was also not thrilled that some of our servers, if we ordered items outside of the plan, automatically added 18% gratuity. I will tip heavily for good service, but 18% for a buffet where we only were "served" one drink each? Or one of those (thankfully unusual) instances where your server disappears for the majority of your meal?

I don't like automatic gratuities period, but it was interesting that they were automatically added at the times when we definitely would not have tipped that much. Wonder what's up with that?

As I remember it, Disney menus state that grutitys will be added for large party's. Was it 8 or more? So you have every right to refuse paying this add on. Even with a large party you can. I have been a server for over 30 years. I tip very well for good service. But it is still my choice. Not the servers.
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Tinkmom said:
I was also not thrilled that some of our servers, if we ordered items outside of the plan, automatically added 18% gratuity. I will tip heavily for good service, but 18% for a buffet where we only were "served" one drink each?

Maybe you have never gotten propper service in a buffet rest. If you had, then surely you would have noticed that a table that is in a buffet rest requires double or more the service that is req. for a table where you are being served 3 courses. I have never eaten at a buffet having less than 3 plates per person to be cleared, and not at the same time. Basically, if you had propper service at a buffet, your table would be visited every 10 mins or less to clear, and refill drinks if they werent self-serve. maybe on your next trip you will recieve propper service :wizard:

Tinkmom said:
I was also not thrilled that some of our servers, if we ordered items outside of the plan, automatically added 18% gratuity. I will tip heavily for good service, but 18% for a buffet where we only were "served" one drink each? Or one of those (thankfully unusual) instances where your server disappears for the majority of your meal?

I don't like automatic gratuities period, but it was interesting that they were automatically added at the times when we definitely would not have tipped that much. Wonder what's up with that?

We got hit with this last year. We were at CRT and payed OOP for the kids meals. They added an automatic 15% (What the DDP tip was last year.) I didn't catch it and added another 15%. Later on that night I looked at the receipt and figured it out. At least for us it appeared that when using the DDP if you payed OOP for anything they added on the DDP tip.

If you use the Dining Plan as it is intended to be used, there won't be all that much confusion. Each person on your reservation gets one TS, one CS and one snack per night, and each of those people can use those credits in any order.

bicker said:
If you use the Dining Plan as it is intended to be used, there won't be all that much confusion. Each person on your reservation gets one TS, one CS and one snack per night, and each of those people can use those credits in any order.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I don't understand why it's so hard for some to understand this. :confused3

Free dining starts this Thursday. I wonder how long it will be before we start
seeing post from DISers who were not able to use their credits the way they want to. :crazy:

jonimce said:
I would Love to see Disney go back to the old dinning plan. When we used the magic your way with dinning, also called the silver plan there were never any of these problems. And we were treated like roylaty at EVERY rest. we went to. The servers loved that we were on the dining because they knew that we were not only going to have a higher check total than everyone else, but that they were going to get a good tip. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Many families were priced out of the silver dining plan. It would have cost $120.00+ per night for my son and me. The MYW dining is only $76.00 per night.

I may be wrong, but I think this is Disney's first affordable dining plan.

Tinkmom said:
It says that the plan is nontransferable. It also says that the credits are yours to use as you choose. Using an adult credit does not necessarily mean you are transferring your plan or all of your credits to another individual. I am certainly not the only one who thought this a grey area, and after I was told by 1)Disney dining via telephone and 2)in advance, by my SERVER at the meal that it was fine, then I think that I am fully justified in being frustrated that after I made a valid attempt to clarify an issue and was told one thing, than when it came time to pay I was told another. If I had been told differently IN ADVANCE, WHEN I ASKED, I probably would not have purchased the dining plan, and definitely would not have had the meal we had at the Turf Club. You can interpret the plan as you see fit, but as many have utilized credits to "treat" others and I was repeatedly told it was okay I certainly could interpret the "non-transferable" as a blanket transfer of my credits.

The point is, it ISN'T clear in the brochure and the CMs (ON THEIR OWN) are interpreting them various ways.

I guess the interpretation could be cloudy, but I guess I always thought of the use as you choose to be use the TS for breakfast, lunch or dinner or even all three in one day use the CS for any meal you like, in any combination you like, etc until all the credits are depleated. I consider the word transferable to mean that no one not in the party that purchased the plan is entitled to eat as a result of that purchase. I guess I read the phrase "use at your discretion" separately from "non-transferrable" if that makes any sense. I understand that your complaint isn't that of the rules but rather that no one could give you a clear answer when questioned. I empathasize with that.
We experienced the automatic 18% gratuity on the extras we ordered at restaurants--the first time I couldn't figure out why the cost of two drinks was so high--I double tipped--of course the waitress circling the space the additonal gratuity was to go in in red led me to that line rather the one that showed 18% already factored in :rolleyes: . After that I checked everything and found that for the most part no additional tip was required.

bicker said:

Exactly! I used the plan in December with that in mind and had no difficulty that is why I'll be using it again.

disneyjunkie said:
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I don't understand why it's so hard for some to understand this. :confused3

Free dining starts this Thursday. I wonder how long it will be before we start
seeing post from DISers who were not able to use their credits the way they want to. :crazy:

Free dining doesn't start until August 13, so next month this board should get really interesting popcorn::

patsal said:
Free dining doesn't start until August 13, so next month this board should get really interesting popcorn::

I guess I'm really anxious for my trip to start. I’ve skipped a whole month. :crazy: :lmao: :rotfl:

Tinkmom said:
You are amazingly rude and ignorant... My point, which is way above your comprehension also... If you would ever read what I posted without the bizarre chip on your shoulder you just might get a glimmer of the point. How hard is that for you to comprehend? Forget it, I would really rather not get your rabid response, babbling about bacon and whatever else, somehow finding fault with a very simple concept.
I think I'm beginning to see the problem...

bicker said:

ITA

We used the program last fall and had no problem with it.

When our college age daughter came down to join us for a long weekend we just let the server know she not on the dining plan and that we would pay for her.

We never had a problem! :thumbsup2

I'll make this simple enough for you to understand.

CS entress that aren't COMBOS (most are) DON'T INCLUDE A SIDE DISH. That is not a grey area.

Tinkmom said:
You are amazingly rude and ignorant. I never said that I complained to a "manger" or held up the line. My point, which is way above your comprehension also, apparently, is that I did not want to have to do that to get a more official, albeit perhaps yet still another interpretation, of the dining plan. If you would ever read what I posted without the bizarre chip on your shoulder you just might get a glimmer of the point. CMs are implementing the dining plan in various ways. Period. There are grey areas in the plan which are obviously confusing and people are justifiably upset when they cannot get straight answers. Many of us like to know all of the facts when we make the decision to purchase this type of option.

How hard is that for you to comprehend? Forget it, I would really rather not get your rabid response, babbling about bacon and whatever else, somehow finding fault with a very simple concept.
I

bicker said:

I agree! We used the plan in December and it was a no-brainer. We're going again in September and using it (this time for free...yeah!!) and I'm not expecting any problems. I think when people are trying to share meals, use credits for people not in their party, or trying to get something not allowed in the plan, then it gets too confusing.

There was a thread once where someone was planning on paying OOP for the kids' food during a meal, then share other meals, then they would have extra credits for another meal, but those meals would have to be shared...HOLY COW!!! No wonder some people get stressed out with the DDP...that's just too much to think about. If you keep it simple then it is quite easy to use the DDP.

Mary

AMEN, pay for breakfast in your room (or use a snack credit) use your CS for lunch and your TS for dinner. Skip the 2 credit meals. The plan couldn't be any simpler. There are virtually no menu restrictions. Everyone gets enough to eat.

It only gets complicated when you try to treat others not in the plan or creatively use sharing and/or paying out of pocket for kids meals in order to obtain extra meals.

I'll agree Disney should have a more consistent policy regarding guests who want to treat others not on the plan.

alicenwonder99 said:
I agree! We used the plan in December and it was a no-brainer. We're going again in September and using it (this time for free...yeah!!) and I'm not expecting any problems. I think when people are trying to share meals, use credits for people not in their party, or trying to get something not allowed in the plan, then it gets too confusing.

There was a thread once where someone was planning on paying OOP for the kids' food during a meal, then share other meals, then they would have extra credits for another meal, but those meals would have to be shared...HOLY COW!!! No wonder some people get stressed out with the DDP...that's just too much to think about. If you keep it simple then it is quite easy to use the DDP.

Mary

Lewisc said:
AMEN, pay for breakfast in your room (or use a snack credit) use your CS for lunch and your TS for dinner. Skip the 2 credit meals. The plan couldn't be any simpler. There are virtually no menu restrictions. Everyone gets enough to eat.

It only gets complicated when you try to treat others not in the plan or creatively use sharing and/or paying out of pocket for kids meals in order to obtain extra meals.

I'll agree Disney should have a more consistent policy regarding guests who want to treat others not on the plan.

I agree with some of what people are saying regarding the ethical use of the dining plan. I do disagree about it being uncomplicated,however, when you have children to feed, one of which isn't old enough to be on the plan and another who has fairly adult tastes in food. Add to that a low budget(free dining was the only possible way we could have ever afforded this trip) and it gets complicated whether you are trying to "cheat" the system or not. I've been trying to work out our whole schedule so that we will be following the rules, but it is hard. For people who don't follow these boards and show up for free dining, a magical vacation may not be in store. :sad2:

pperfectmom said:
....I do disagree about it being uncomplicated,however.......I've been trying to work out our whole schedule so that we will be following the rules, but it is hard. For people who don't follow these boards and show up for free dining, a magical vacation may not be in store. :sad2:

That is the point. There are certainly grey areas and CMs, in mine and others' experience, are interpreting the plan differently, so apparently it isn't so perfectly clear and painless in reality. And some appreciate seeing a post with the firsthand experience to help make an informed decision about the plan. One can go on and on about how YOU think it is clear, but it seems clear as mud to quite a few folks. If you don't need the info/experience posted, then leave it. I don't get arguing with someone else's relating of an incident and/or their opinion.

I also believe in karma and wish I was around when those who talk about how "perfect" the system is get bitten on the behind! :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter