• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not thrilled with all the CMs confusion re: dining plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have to chime in here and say that you DO NOT get a "side" item on the CS meals so OP ... you were wrong. You get an entree, dessert and drink with the exception of breakfast where you do not get a dessert.

I CAN see where the OP's confusion may lie however ...

On our trip in December at our first CS at Sunshine Food Fair we were able to get a sandwich + side + drink + dessert. Therefore ... I "thought" I could have a side. (Having also used the vouchers in the past it made sense.)

Later on in the week I went to roaring forks and got a sandwich + side + drink + dessert and they charged me for 2 CS meals. Upon asking why I was charged 2 she explained that she had to count the side as a "meal" sinceyou don't get a side. I said "Oh .. I didn't realize, I'm sorry" ... and she was NICE and took 1 CS off.

But then Roaring Forks LET us get a dessert (like a muffin) with breakfast ... so go figure!

There on out I knew ... but I would always ASK when going to any CS place "What do I get with the DDP" and they would tell me. Some LET me have a side ... others did not. If I got a side I thought of it as a bonus.

Then when we went into a TS place we would ask what we could get on the DDP ... then ASK if we could only use 3 TS credits ... then ASK if we could pay OOP for the kids.

We would ASK upfront. It was not really that hard at all.

Now ... I do think since the OP ASKED the server if she could treat the 2 not in her party with her credits and the server said OK ... the manager SHOULD HAVE honored that.

I think if the OP had been persuasively NICE about it ... the manager would have. I have a feeling she got hot under the collar.

I feel strongly that if you have an issue you HAVE to deal with it then. No good to walk away feeling it was unresolved and then complain about it later.

So ... in the CS incident the OP was wrong. In the TS incident ... based on what her server told her they should have honored it.

I don't care what "Guest Services" tells you ... don't count on it!

OK ... with all that being said:

I do think that WDW COULD train thier people better. A simple one page test on the DDP before any server is allowed to wait on thier own would be fine.

That being said:

I think the more SEASONED CM's know how to "get around the system" and give you extras. If they do ... great ... if not ... oh well.

WDWO

I still canNOT believe how worked up and bent out of shape people are getting over - FOOD! My goodness!! :sad2:

It's food people? Are you starving individuals or something?

The dining plan - even if you didnt use up your credits, is a magnificent idea. It allows so many of us to dine at places we usually wouldnt - and every single day, at that. All this "These are MY credits, and I want to be able to do whatever in the heck I want with them....and I want SIDES added to my meals too" - is absurd. It's just absurd!!!

Theyre gonna get rid of it, and many of us who didfollow the rules, are going to be very upset.

And just because the "rules" are vague, doesnt mean you should try and get one over on every CM server you get. Geez. :sad2:

Intimidating CM's, causing a stink with managers, holding up lines, and possibly embarrassing family members..... for food. :rolleyes:

CathrynRose said:

And just because the "rules" are vague, doesnt mean you should try and get one over on every CM server you get. Geez. :sad2:

Intimidating CM's, causing a stink with managers, holding up lines, and possibly embarrassing family members..... for food. :rolleyes:

I don't see where anyone did any of the things you mentioned. I specifically said that I did not want to hold up the line, nor embarass anyone. I refrained from "causing a stink" with a manager even though I had just gotten confirmation that we could use adult credits for other adults, and was overcharged the cash price if they were not covered by the credits.

I don't get the hatefulness from a few people. I stated what happened to me and my opinion of the plan. Badgering me and completely distorting what I said and did is just bizarre. Get lives or spew your venom elsewhere, okay? It's sad.

I don't think any CM's should be trying to get around the system, they should be enforcing the DDP as it is intended - that just makes things all the more confusing for visitors and other CMs as well. I'm sure CMs hear quite often from guests, well, I was able to do it at my last TS, and then that CM may second guess there knowledge of the plan and it snowballs from there...consistency is important. Yes, it is a bonus if you get the little extras, but I'd rather have things black and white, not - it depends on the server, on the restaurant, on the day. After hearing about things that have been allowed on these boards, how can anyone not feel a little let down if they happen to get servers who will not do/give anything extra. It is only human nature. I'm not expecting anything extra, though, at least with my understanding of the plan...I can't afford any extra $ for misinterpretation.

I want to go into a restaurant knowing what to expect from the DDP, not asking permission to use my credits the way I understand them to be used, only to find out the server has a different interpretation. That just adds stress to my vacation - the one thing I am trying to get away from. I know it is easy when you read it - 1ts, 1cs, 1 snack for everyone, but, like pperfectmom, I have group dynamics that make it a little more complicated. I'm trying to make it work based on everyone's appetites and use it ethically, but I'm concerned it will be perceived by some CMs that I am trying to work the system, and I don't want to worry about any hassles, conflicts or unexpected expenses on our trip.

To the OP:

The "side" thing is confusing. Last August, I know we got sides with non-combo meals (because they forced a side on me when I ordered a chicken ceasar salad at Cosmic Rays). I didn't realize that had changed. I think most meals are combos, but I might have ordered a "side" if I hadn't read your post and all the responses.

As for treating other guests...there have been many posts about DP guests treating non DP guests. I asked Disney dining last week and they said it was okay to do. I know we bought a 3rd CS meal last year for my friend and nobody questioned it. We had planned to treat my friend from Tampa at LeCellier this year, but I think I might just order to cheese soup for myself and pay OOP instead. I will be sure to watch for the automatic tip! As far as I am concerned, the credits should be your to spend as you choose (not that I make the rules of course). That you asked and were then treated the way you were is crazy.

I'm sorry for you bad experience at WDW and in this thread! I don't think anybody on these boards knows for sure what Disney means by credits being "nontransferrable", so why pretend you do?

Tinkmom said:
We really liked it the first couple of days but about day 3 (when we really realized that an appetizer and dessert along with the entree is simply too much every day for everyone) it got uncomfortable.

Have you heard of the idea, in law about the "spirit" of a law. Certainly, most things are open for a LOT of debate - but it also seems straightforward enough to follow the basics - 1 snack, 1 CS, and 1 TS per person for each day of your trip. If it's TOO MUCH food - order less. You dont HAVe to get the dessert and appetizer..... you dont have to milk it for every single penny! The end result of this sort of behavior is there will be no more program for those of us who just want to use it as it was inteneded to use.

Letsbgoofy said:
As far as I am concerned, the credits should be your to spend as you choose (not that I make the rules of course). That you asked and were then treated the way you were is crazy.

I don't think anybody on these boards knows for sure what Disney means by credits being "nontransferrable", so why pretend you do?

I understand you would like to use your credits the way you want.

Many guests also felt that way about the old park hopper passes.
They too were nontransferable.

But since the guest paid for them and had extra days some thought they could just give it to a friend or better yet sell them on ebay. After all it was their ticket and they could do with it what they wanted too. They did pay for it right?

What happened?
Disney installed the Bioscans so the tickets cannot be shared.
That is how Disney had to put a stop to tickets so they would not be shared.
Now guests are complaining the scans don't always work right and they slow everyone down getting into the parks.

The deliberate misuse of the tickets caused a change in entering the parks.

I wonder how the deliberate misuse of the DDP is going to affect us in near future and what changes Disney will have to make to insure their guests follow policy!

Another DDP thread that I'll add a :sad2: to.

Lewisc, who made you the DDP Police huh?

To the OP, that just sucks. I would have done the same thing or more.

monymony3471 said:
We went in June of last year and the plan worked great for us. Most of the CM's understood what it was about. If one didn't, they got a manager themselves to help them get it right.

On the phone when booking that trip I was told, if I wanted to eat 1 snack or 10 snacks a day, it was my choice until the credits ran out.

I read the brochure. I get it when it comes to sides and combos. But, it states, use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your package stay. What's confusing about that?

:Not transferable means you can't give your credits, like all 20 of them for ex: to Mr. Tom Morrow so he can use them at his will right? I interpret it where if you are sitting down and having dinner and you are on the plan you can order 3 TS meals and eat them all yourself or share with Mr. Morrow at your table with you. Disney shouldn't care who eats the food right? Shouldn't they want you to run out of credits and have to buy food from them as well. Hence some dinner shows and signature restaurants requiring 2 of your credits at one time.
The issue of "non-transferable" is quite interesting. Does that mean that if I order 10 TS meals (to go) but there are only 5 actual people on the dining plan, someone will come follow me to see if only those 5 people whose names are on the card consume the food?????? :-)

I know, I know, it's an extreme example... most people would probably not bother to order TS and not sit at the restaurant, and of course, who is going to monitor the food cinsumption....but.... what does "non-transferable" really mean in conjunction with the other rules of the plan? (ie the other rule of using pooled credits over the stay vs. being limited to using one snack, one CS and one TS each day only)

What should the rule be? You can't order more TS meals than the number of people on the plan seated at the table? Would the server be required to "check ID's" in case one of the plan members decided to go have CS instead of TS that night, and an "imposter" (ie non-plan) person ate dinner with the family that night?

As for CS, what would the issue be if someone ordered 10 CS meals for a party of 5? Would the CM be required to ring up 5 meals on one order and the other 5 on another order? Does Disney really care who eats the food??????

And what would the CMs do in a TS restaurant if a person not on the plan shared the food of someone who was on the plan? Is that "transferring" the plan, or merely "consuming" the food that is part of the plan?????

Looks like we need some lawyers...... haha.....

Sonno said:
Another DDP thread that I'll add a :sad2: to.

Lewisc, who made you the DDP Police huh?

To the OP, that just sucks. I would have done the same thing or more.

Gee several other posters confirmed what I posted, you don't get to add a side dish at a CS restaurant. You're only entitled to a side if it comes as part of a combo.

I don't really care what the OP does BUT other people reading this thread are entitled to have the misinformation corrected so they don't wrongly think they're entitled to something they're not.

grgich said:
Looks like we need some lawyers...... haha.....

I would not be at all surprised if Disney's lawyers are not already working on it.

I have no idea what is store for the DDp either. :sad2: :confused3

Maybe one way it could be handled in sit down restaurants is you cannot order for more people than are already on the plan and that each guest that is a part of the plan has to order a meal. Maybe they will no longer let guests
pay out of pocket for chidren's meals until all the the TS credits have been used.

For counter service meals it may still be the honor system.

JMHO

This thread is closed at the OP's request. The personal attacks didn't help much either.

Let's remember we are here to share information, not attack each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter