• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not thrilled with all the CMs confusion re: dining plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkmom

DIS Veteran
This was our first trip using the dining plan, and while it SHOULD be great and most of the time worked well, I honestly must admit that it made my trip less enjoyable. While most CMs seemed familiar with it and handled it fine, there were a few times when it was a hassle, and on one occasion led to me being as aggravated and frustrated with Disney as I have ever been in many, many trips.

For instance, I would ask before ordering what was available on CS menus if using the dining plan. Twice I got "anything" then when I pushed for specifics was told that I could get ONE "anything" but no side item, no matter that it wasn't a combo. This is clearly wrong, but who wants to carry the full plan specs and have to get a manager to clear it up. It doesn't make you the most popular person in line, trust me. Second, there were times when one or two of us used the dining plan for TS and we got the feeling like we were doing something wrong. I got the impression that there is some vague perception among cast members that some people are trying to cheat the system, so if you do anything other than EVERY PERSON in the party using the plan it freaks them out. As we were all adults and using adult credits there really wasn't anything wrong with what we were doing, but a few meals we all definitely got the feeling that our server was, well, suspicious or something.

The incident that STILL infuriates me is this: I called Disney prior to our trip and asked about treating other adults to our adult credits. I was told that the problem was trying to use child credits for adults. After I explained that we were all adults I was given the spiel of "well, then, they are your credits to use as you want. Use all TS the first day, use them the last day, treat people, whatever; just remember that once you run out, you run out." Makes sense, fine. We went to the Turf Club at SSR on its second or third open day. At the beginning of the meal I explained to our (obviously new) server that two of our party weren't on the dining plan, but we were using two of our (all adult) credits for them. Okay. Meal is over (and of course everyone ordered appetizer, dessert, etc. even though we were stuffed, but hey, it's paid for and you want to try it, right?) and suddenly "there is a problem" using credits for someone not on the plan. Um, didn't we just discuss this? I talk to the manager who keeps telling me that "people are breaking the rules and we can't allow this anymore". I am livid, but decided to suck it up, minimize what is becoming an embarassing scene, and pay cash for the two meals. The check comes and they charge us for the MOST EXPENSIVE MEALS, which were not the meals for the two not on the plan! I actually told everyone else to go on and I would catch up, because I really was about to lose my temper. We spent almost 30 minutes waiting for them to fix our checks, and I had to pay out of pocket for meals I had been told twice that I would not. I don't care if Disney wants to have this rule, but I made decisions about initially buying the DDP and then on what we ordered based on what I was told and then the "rules" changed. That is not what I am used to from Disney and it really upsets me on general principle. I have lots of friends who don't "get" Disney and the one thing I tell them is that one of Disney's biggest attractions is customer service -- sometimes things go wrong but Disney ALWAYS fixes them. Well, that is no longer true for me. Maybe a fairly small problem in the grand scheme of things, but........

The kicker is that I called Disney Dining afterwards and was told a random assortment of rules: first, that you could not use more than one TS credit per day per person; when I said that was totally wrong, then it was that you COULD treat other people, but that the total in the group couldn't exceed the total in the party, and the example that they kept giving me was if there were four people on the dining plan that I could treat 3 others, and that anyone else in the group could also treat 3 others not on the plan, but that we had to be in separate parties. What the ???

I don't know, we ended up scrambing to use our extra credits and meal planning felt like a hassle. I think I like the DDE better, unless and until Disney gets the rules straight.

Tinkmom said:
The kicker is that I called Disney Dining afterwards and was told a random assortment of rules: first, that you could not use more than one TS credit per day per person; when I said that was totally wrong, then it was that you COULD treat other people, but that the total in the group couldn't exceed the total in the party, and the example that they kept giving me was if there were four people on the dining plan that I could treat 3 others, and that anyone else in the group could also treat 3 others not on the plan, but that we had to be in separate parties. What the ???

A clear case of cranial rectilitius on the part of some CMs...

A clearly written, strongly worded, letter to Disney Guest Relations is in order. I believe I'd be certain to explain how embarrased you were made to feel in front of your guests, and how rules suddenly change to fit the restaurant management/server's needs.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the DDP. It seems as if Disney is in the process of changing the DDP to close some loopholes and their training is not keeping up. I can understand the mixup with the credit issue, but it really does seem spiteful for them to have charged you with the two most expensive meals. I hate that this event had such an impact on how you felt about the trip and the DDP.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

When I post on Dining threads about the abuses to the system, I always get the question, What is it to you?

Your experience is exactly, What it is to me. Abuses ruin things for everyone. And mostly they ruin it for those trying to do right. Because when Disney closes the loopholes most of those abusing it won't buy it anymore and all of us who tried to do our best to use it within the guidelines will be left with the mess they caused.

Actually this is an example of a CM breaking the rules in order to avoid confrontation.

READ THE BROCHURE you're entitled to a drink, combo and dessert OR a drink, entrée and dessert. The dining plan is not the old voucher program, if the entrée you order doesn't come with a side you don't get a side. You were cheating the system.

I agree you wouldn't be popular with me if I had to wait for you to get a manager because you insisted on getting more than you're entitled to.

The plan says the credits are not-transferable. I'll agree Disney should come to a decision if guests should be allowed to use their credits to treat guests.

Tinkmom said:
Twice I got "anything" then when I pushed for specifics was told that I could get ONE "anything" but no side item, no matter that it wasn't a combo. This is clearly wrong, but who wants to carry the full plan specs and have to get a manager to clear it up. It doesn't make you the most popular person in line, trust me.

Sammie said:
I am so sorry this happened to you.

When I post on Dining threads about the abuses to the system, I always get the question, What is it to you?

Your experience is exactly, What it is to me. Abuses ruin things for everyone. And mostly they ruin it for those trying to do right. Because when Disney closes the loopholes most of those abusing it won't buy it anymore and all of us who tried to do our best to use it within the guidelines will be left with the mess they caused.

While it is unfortunate the the OP had this problem it clearly states that the plan is non transferable. I am sure that there are two reasons for this. First they probably have built in that a certain number of credits will go unused. If people use them for others then that negates the cost savings to Disney. Second is that the plan is designed to keep you captive on site. By using the plan for those that are not on it you are defeating that purpose. You could be buying dinner for people not staying on site and then go off site later on to east.

The real unfortunate thing is that Disney does need to do a better job of educating CM's. Yes they are a large company but really, the quality control they have with regards to CM's and information is pretty bad.

Lewisc is right about the CS meals. I wonder if that was a change from the first year? I think we always ordered combos so it was never an issue...

What I think upset the OP was that she was told she could treat her guests by the server and ordered based on that information. After they had eaten the rules changed. That is a bit of a bait and switch and I would have been livid.

The voucher program allowed guests to order a side if they weren't ordering a combo. Internet sites telling guests how to maximize the voucher program suggested what restaurants/menu items weren't combos. Many guests and some CMs confused the two programs and I suspect some (many?) CM initially gave guests a side.

It wasn't a change in the program, just a reaction to guests getting more than they were entitled to.

You're right, almost all CS meals are combos. EOS is a good counter example. They don't sell combos,you don't even get chips with your sandwich. It's very simple, whatever you get for free with your CS entrée is included. If your breakfast platter includes bacon you get it. If the eggs you order doesn't normally include bacon then the only way you get bacon for free is if a CM decides to give you bacon for free.

The OP, inadvertently, gave us an example of a guest who demanded more than they were entitle to.

HaleyB said:
Lewisc is right about the CS meals. I wonder if that was a change from the first year? I think we always ordered combos so it was never an issue...

Lewisc said:
The plan says the credits are not-transferable. I'll agree Disney should come to a decision if guests should be allowed to use their credits to treat guests.

What decision? The brochure states that the credits are not transferable. I thought the brochure was Gospel and it didn't matter what Disney let people do.

I'm really debating keeping the dining plan if the confusion isn't eliminated. I will be on vacation and I don't feel like dealing with hassles like that. I understand that Disney probably figures that some people will not use all their credits, however, my feelings are that if I paid for 27 A TS credits, I should be able to use them as I see fit (adult credits for adult meals - I don't mean trying to get adult meals with child credits)until they are gone - who goes into it thinking - oh, I'll save some credits for WDW so they can be sure to make more money off me - if I use them up too early in the plan, then I'll have to pay for my remaining meals, and since I am on-site, I doubt I would go to the hassle of going offsite to eat - it can be time consuming enough to even go to another resort. Why would Disney hassle someone for using what they paid for - plus, I'm sure in some/alot of these treating situations, non DDP visitors may be in the parks spending money on other things and/or ordering drinks while enjoying dinner with their DDP friends...I know the plan is nontransferable, but it seems that being hassled to treat someone to dinner takes away from the Magic - I think generally those people are just trying to spread a little pixie dust themselves.

I don't want to be thinking my entire trip - am I allowed to do this? I'm spending a lot of money and I want things to be as hassle free as possible. I don't plan on "treating" anyone not on the plan, but I would like to share a meal or 2 with DS10(with adult credits), to be able to do one extra meal and it looks like that may be changing, too. I have 3 "adults" and 1 "child". We will have 27 A TS and 9 C TS and as of right now I plan on using them all as they were intended - I think the new brochure is very clear on that and I like to follow the rules when I can - however, I still think there is a lot of grey areas and there are things not even mentioned on the brochure that may be a hassle - such as sharing. I don't want to have to wait and see what each individual server says, I don't want to go into it with an expect the worst, hope for the best attitude - I'm on vacation and I want to get away from hassles. I should be able to know what I'm getting and what to expect when I pay for the DDP - how difficult can it be to put together a brochure that is clearly written and isn't left open to interpretation by guests or CM. Yes means yes and no means no - nothing left to interpret there. I hope they clear things up soon, so I can make an educated choice as to get the DDP or not - I thought it was right for my family initially, but with hearing that sharing may not be allowed and different interpretations of the plan from CMs, it may not be.

How late can I wait to cancel the DDP?

bstnsprts said:
What decision? The brochure states that the credits are not transferable. I thought the brochure was Gospel and it didn't matter what Disney let people do.

WOW.

I don't think anyone elevated a brochure to the level of a Gospel.

Some people question if transferability refers to treating another guest to a meal vs literally transferring your credits to another's account.

The fact that many of us think the non-transferable phrase can be used to prohibit using dining credit to treat others doesn't mean Disney (or a CM) has to interpet the plan that way.

DisneyChristmas said:
The kicker is that I called Disney Dining afterwards and was told a random assortment of rules: first, that you could not use more than one TS credit per day per person; when I said that was totally wrong, then it was that you COULD treat other people,
That's just plain wrong information. Never mind the treating other people issue - this mistake on the CM's part means Guests can't get two or three - if that's what they want - table service meals in one day, and can't use the credits for a Signature restaurant or a dinner show? :rolleyes:

kaytieeldr said:
That's just plain wrong information. Never mind the treating other people issue - this mistake on the CM's part means Guests can't get two or three - if that's what they want - table service meals in one day, and can't use the credits for a Signature restaurant or a dinner show? :rolleyes:

That is my point. It was totally illogical and even changed while I was on the phone with them. I think the CM (who was very civil) kept asking different people and/or telling them my response and they sort of went, "oh, what we just said doesn't make sense, um, try telling her this..." Disney can make whatever rules they want, and I respect that. I simply want the basic rules clearly set out and enforced, so I can choose whether or not I want to participate in these type of options.

I intend to treat a guest while on vaca next year as well. Hopefully 3 evenings. When we are seated, I will confirm whether I can use my adult (the only kind I will be buying) DDp credit to pay for her, as well as my fam of 3 for that night (anything I order the 2y old will be OOP). If I am told that I can treat her before we order, and then told the opposite when we are finished eating, I will cause a scene that will be heard by all. Not just management. I am usually a well-composed person. But I do have a nasty temper and a big mouth. Without a doubt, the bait and switch routine would set me off for sure. Hopefully, I can get the straight scoop when I ask, therefore avoiding a very loud scene, which may put off the appetites of everyone in the dining room, those waiting to be seated, and others just walking by. Ofcousre, I imagine there will be a few who will see the ugliest scene ever caused in a WDW resort to be fine family fun. I just hope that my DH would remember to cover our 2y olds ears, or high-tail her (and our other DD as well as my guest) :thumbsup2

If there are any CMs who read this, just tell it how it is from the start, and we will be lovely, guests:)

akalittleeva said:
.....I don't want to be thinking my entire trip - am I allowed to do this? I'm spending a lot of money and I want things to be as hassle free as possible.............I still think there is a lot of grey areas and there are things not even mentioned on the brochure that may be a hassle - such as sharing. I don't want to have to wait and see what each individual server says, I don't want to go into it with an expect the worst, hope for the best attitude - I'm on vacation and I want to get away from hassles. I should be able to know what I'm getting and what to expect when I pay for the DDP - how difficult can it be to put together a brochure that is clearly written and isn't left open to interpretation by guests or CM. Yes means yes and no means no - nothing left to interpret there. I hope they clear things up soon, so I can make an educated choice as to get the DDP or not - I thought it was right for my family initially, but with hearing that sharing may not be allowed and different interpretations of the plan from CMs, it may not be.

Exactly. We really liked it the first couple of days but about day 3 (when we really realized that an appetizer and dessert along with the entree is simply too much every day for everyone) it got uncomfortable. We then sometimes just wanted a side item instead of the full-course meal, thinking we could use 2 for HDD or for sharing with our two friends at the Turf Cluf meal. It went fine most places, but the few it didn't make me nervous at every meal that we didn't all use our credits. The sacred brochure says that the credits are yours to use as you choose (transferring or whatever aside) but in reality a few CMs didn't seem to see it that way.

I'm familiar with how the plan works and think getting a manager to override a CM who isn't willing to give you what you're not entitled to is obnoxious. You said you weren't the most popular person when you held up the line. You're right. Holding up the line until you found a manager that would give you more than you're entitled to is rude and obnoxious.

Most CS meals are combos and come with a side, sometimes even a choice.. As an example carrots can be substituted for fries at most CS locations.

CS meals that aren't combos, such as at the EOS, don't include side dishes. Guest who want a side dish, including chips, have to pay. That includes cash guests as well as MYW Dining guests. Another example is meat at breakfast. Most CS restaurant have an egg platter than includes bacon. At some CS restaurants if you order an entrée that doesn't come with bacon for cash guests then MYW Dining guests also have to pay for bacon. Many CM may let it slide but the brochure is clear, you get a combo or an entrée NOT an entrée and a side.

Your OP said
no side item, no matter that it wasn't a combo. This is clearly wrong, but who wants to carry the full plan specs and have to get a manager to clear it up

your are clearly wrong , read the brochure. Complaining to a manger is rude.

Tinkmom said:
WHAT is "an example of a CM breaking the rules in order to avoid confrontation"??? Um, all the CMs who automatically asked what side item I wanted with my non-combo item were breaking the rules to avoid confrontation? It is amazing that more than a dozen did this without a word from me, but I guess they just "knew" they should to avoid conflict? MMMmmmkay......Nevermind, you are obviously not familiar with how the program works, despite your obnoxious namecalling.

We went in June of last year and the plan worked great for us. Most of the CM's understood what it was about. If one didn't, they got a manager themselves to help them get it right.

On the phone when booking that trip I was told, if I wanted to eat 1 snack or 10 snacks a day, it was my choice until the credits ran out.

I read the brochure. I get it when it comes to sides and combos. But, it states, use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your package stay. What's confusing about that?

:Not transferable means you can't give your credits, like all 20 of them for ex: to Mr. Tom Morrow so he can use them at his will right? I interpret it where if you are sitting down and having dinner and you are on the plan you can order 3 TS meals and eat them all yourself or share with Mr. Morrow at your table with you. Disney shouldn't care who eats the food right? Shouldn't they want you to run out of credits and have to buy food from them as well. Hence some dinner shows and signature restaurants requiring 2 of your credits at one time.

Sorry and please do not take this the wrong way, but if you read your brochure you would see that the things you are compainaing about were executed correctly. For CS you are entitled to an entree or a combo meal, no side is included if you choose just an entree, beverage and dessert. If you wre given a side it was not really supposed to be included and that was a mistake. It clearly states that credits are non-transferable and to be used only by the guests who have paid for them--so again treating others though a nice gesture, is not technically allowed. I do think it was poor to charge for the most expensive items though especially if they were consumed by those who were validly on the plan, and you were correct to argue that point.
I think it is very important to have the brochure and read it over carefully, reguardless of what CM's tell you may be permissable ( or even what some allow), what is printed on the brochure is what will be the policy--and of course that is even subject to change.

patsal said:
Sorry and please do not take this the wrong way, but if you read your brochure you would see that the things you are compainaing about were executed correctly. ....... It clearly states that credits are non-transferable and to be used only by the guests who have paid for them--so again treating others though a nice gesture, is not technically allowed. I do think it was poor to charge for the most expensive items though especially if they were consumed by those who were validly on the plan, and you were correct to argue that point.
I think it is very important to have the brochure and read it over carefully, reguardless of what CM's tell you may be permissable ( or even what some allow), what is printed on the brochure is what will be the policy--and of course that is even subject to change.

It says that the plan is nontransferable. It also says that the credits are yours to use as you choose. Using an adult credit does not necessarily mean you are transferring your plan or all of your credits to another individual. I am certainly not the only one who thought this a grey area, and after I was told by 1)Disney dining via telephone and 2)in advance, by my SERVER at the meal that it was fine, then I think that I am fully justified in being frustrated that after I made a valid attempt to clarify an issue and was told one thing, than when it came time to pay I was told another. If I had been told differently IN ADVANCE, WHEN I ASKED, I probably would not have purchased the dining plan, and definitely would not have had the meal we had at the Turf Club. You can interpret the plan as you see fit, but as many have utilized credits to "treat" others and I was repeatedly told it was okay I certainly could interpret the "non-transferable" as a blanket transfer of my credits.

The point is, it ISN'T clear in the brochure and the CMs (ON THEIR OWN) are interpreting them various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter