Now "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" removed from the parade at Disneyland!

Maybe because there isn't a segment of their customer base that finds Mission:Space offensive?

Then again, Pigs In Space would be great. Think of the synergy!

I've always liked Mission: SPACE, though it was kinda-sorta based on the terrible movie Mission to Mars. Of course, now that Gary Sinese isn't in the pre-show anymore there is almost no connection.

See, I thought he was there because of Apollo 13, even though we always referred to him as Lieutenant Dan.

See, I thought he was there because of Apollo 13, even though we always referred to him as Lieutenant Dan.

No, Sinese was in Mission to Mars and that was a Disney movie. There isn't any other real connection or implication that he is the same character, but that is almost certianly why he was used in the ride.

If you made a list of "failed" Disney attractions, Mission:Space might have to be on the list. It wouldn't be at the top--Rocket Rods was just a bad idea, and the track record on night-time spectaculars has not been great recently. I loved Rivers of Light and Harmonious, but I seem to be in the minority on both.

M:S was about $100M (or $165M in today's dollars) and clearly overshot the mark for the typical WDW guest. They had to neuter half the ride entirely, and if I recall correctly, they also toned down what is now "Orange" from the original.

Of course, I loved it, but again--definitely in the minority.

If you made a list of "failed" Disney attractions, Mission:Space might have to be on the list. It wouldn't be at the top--Rocket Rods was just a bad idea, and the track record on night-time spectaculars has not been great recently. I loved Rivers of Light and Harmonious, but I seem to be in the minority on both.

M:S was about $100M (or $165M in today's dollars) and clearly overshot the mark for the typical WDW guest. They had to neuter half the ride entirely, and if I recall correctly, they also toned down what is now "Orange" from the original.

I liked Rivers of Light and HarmonioUS too!

HarmonioUS is a great show, however that doesn’t save it from the daytime visual eyesore that it is in the park, plus the somewhat limited viewing angles vs past shows, and it seemed to be a maintenance nightmare.

HarmonioUS is a great show, however that doesn’t save it from the daytime visual eyesore that it is in the park, plus the somewhat limited viewing angles vs past shows, and it seemed to be a maintenance nightmare.
Don't know anything about the maintenance, but I agree with the rest of this. We very much enjoyed the show, and DH liked it which is surprising as he's not as keen on fireworks shows.

BUT it really makes a difference where you watch it from. We saw it one last time during our trip earlier this week and managed to see it from the front (with Spaceship Earth behind us) and it was much better than all the previous times we saw it. The scene with Pepita, the flying tiger from Coco, is a good example: from the front you can see her face inside the ring and then her flapping wings in the taco barges make sense. We didn't know it was supposed to be that that character was flying during that scene!

We enjoyed it more from the front that it made me sad it was going away, but also made me think it's for the best if the experience can be that different.

Typical wdw guest....aka not in Nasa flight school.

I’m not sure anything you listed reaches the absolute heinous levels of Superstar Limo

Sad. I like that song.

You can find the movie Song of the South upscaled with AI and cleaned up with avisynth over at Internet Archive. It’s worth a watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter