Official 2011 Princess Half Thread Part II!!!

I tell people that my time was brutal (it was) and that the race was brutal (it was) and blame it on my stress fracture rehab, weight gain, and lack of training (all true). :)

I finished in 3:33, which was a 44 min anti-P. I walked most of the race, with 1 min running intervals tossed in here and there. But, I did the race with friends and had a BLAST of a weekend, and I got the medal, and that's all that counts right? :goodvibes

I LOVED your video. Thanks for posting it. I watched it with my husband and we both had tears in our eyes at the end (to be honest I was crying :)). He stayed home and kept our kids so I could do this and he said the video enabled him to catch a glimpse of how special this was for me. After we watched it he looked at me and said, "You ARE running that again next year!"

VERY Cool!!! :banana: The three of us want to do it next year too.

-nat

My daughter wanted to take my medal to show her kindergarten class, so I told her I would bring it in for her to show when I came to volunteer. She held it up to ooohs and aaaahs, and then one of the kids asked me, "Did you win?" I said no, and another child said, "Did you come in second?" I said no and explained that I finished 3000 something. One of the kids said, "Wow. They shouldn't have even let you have a medal!" I thought that was so cute. I guess that does sound really high to a five year old, but I was proud of my 3000 something finish!

Can't find the video Natale. :(

My son brought some friends over. They asked me how I did. I said "I did great and I finished. Want to see the medal?" They said, "Yes". I was bad and told them it was real gold. Ha Ha Ha Then, I confessed, "Just Joking" They laughed and then asked me "How can you run that far!!?!?!?"

My family says that they are proud of me. It's been a great experience.

I have some weird neighbors that run outside everyday. When I saw them, I told them that I was going to run the Princess. The wife told me I wasn't a REAL runner because I was using the treadmill.

I told her that what she said wasn't true and that Lance Armstrong trained indoors.

They won't even ask me how I did or anything.

I have some weird neighbors that run outside everyday. When I saw them, I told them that I was going to run the Princess. The wife told me I wasn't a REAL runner because I was using the treadmill.

I told her that what she said wasn't true and that Lance Armstrong trained indoors.

They sound a little too stuck on themselves. I don't think you should share the joy and happiness of your achievement with people like that. And who runs everyday outside in Michigan? That isn't a sign of a true runner to me, its the first sign they need to be evaluated for institutionalization.

They sound a little too stuck on themselves. I don't think you should share the joy and happiness of your achievement with people like that. And who runs everyday outside in Michigan? That isn't a sign of a true runner to me, its the first sign they need to be evaluated for institutionalization.

Agreed. Some weather was not made for running. Kudos to those who want to do it but because someone chooses to train indoors (maybe to avoid a slip on ice or fall into an 80 foot pile of plowed snow, etc) that doesn't make them any less of a runner.

Agreed. Some weather was not made for running. Kudos to those who want to do it but because someone chooses to train indoors (maybe to avoid a slip on ice or fall into an 80 foot pile of plowed snow, etc) that doesn't make them any less of a runner.

Thanks peeps! You made me feel better. :) You made me laugh.

The half wore me down and now I have a cold. I'm not doing much work. I think I'll run a little bit next week.

It doesn't matter how one person trains for a race or a run, it's the fact that they are doing the race and completed their goal. It's true, some of the best train indoors, though preference is usually outside, it's not always ideal. What matters is that training is training, no matter where its done, its still done, they both require your body to move and get a good work out.

Thanks peeps! You made me feel better. :) You made me laugh.

The half wore me down and now I have a cold. I'm not doing much work. I think I'll run a little bit next week.

UGH...me too!!! I started getting a sore throat on Friday and it's just progressed since then...I haven't even gotten out to run or go to my bootcamp class...and I'm supposed to participate in a Warrior Dash in less than 2 weeks :confused3 I also figure it's because I was just physically worn out from the half and then all the park touring for 3 days after. I'm itching to get back out and run though before I get too used to this down time!

Oh and your neighbors sound like total creeps!

It doesn't matter how one person trains for a race or a run, it's the fact that they are doing the race and completed their goal. It's true, some of the best train indoors, though preference is usually outside, it's not always ideal. What matters is that training is training, no matter where its done, its still done, they both require your body to move and get a good work out.

Amen! Thanks for this.

I get down on being a "real runner" sometimes because I follow Galloway. However, assuming you are not top 3, there is no difference in the medal for #4 or for #13061. :)

I like to use the term "recreational runner" as that's what I am...I do it for recreation and the race for me is just a reward for keeping up with physical fitness.

Wow! I bet they are barrel of laughs at a party...not! You should tell them that the only thing it takes to be a RUNNER, is signing your name on an entry form!! You are a runner. Be proud of your accomplishment. Secretly, they're just jealous because you got to run outside in warmth:cutie: wearing a tutu. While they were stuck in the cold and snow, dressed like Nanuk of the North!!
:rotfl:

Amen! Thanks for this.

I get down on being a "real runner" sometimes because I follow Galloway. However, assuming you are not top 3, there is no difference in the medal for #4 or for #13061. :)

I used to feel this way, but Jeff Galloway was an OLYMPIAN. If an Olympic runner can do walk breaks, then I can, too. Not only do I finish faster with walk breaks, I think it is much easier on my body, and I hope that will enable me to enjoy the sport for a long, long time. And honestly, I bet there were very few people that didn't walk AT ALL during the half. My friend finishes half-marathons in less than two hours, so I definitely think she qualifies as a runner, but even she walks through all the water stations.

One question: I've been asked a few times since the race, "So, how did you do?" I always answer that I finished, which was my goal, and I'm totally happy about it. But they always seem to push it: "No, really, how did you do? How many people were behind you?" As far as I'm concerned, there were three people who won the race, and everyone else was running either for a PR, or to finish, or to have a great time, and asking about my placement is missing the point entirely. Or am I missing the point? What answer can I give beyond what I've been giving? (Which is: "I don't know and I don't care. I was running my race, and my goal was to finish, and I did, so go me!")

Go all of us! :cheer2::yay::cheer2:princess:

I actually ran into this in the airport. I had the race shirt on and there was a lady wearing her medal. She asked how I did. I said "I did fine; I made my goal" and then she straight out asked me my time. When I told her it was 2:57:05 and I was going for under 3 she asked if it was my first half. :headache: I told her it was my first race ever and left it at that.

I've been asked the same question and always answer "I won!!!" :laughing: (heck I'm a winner to me, right???) and then I continue about how this is wasn't your typical race.

One of the cast members asked me if I won and I laughed at him and said I had my own personal victory.

I said no and explained that I finished 3000 something. One of the kids said, "Wow. They shouldn't have even let you have a medal!" I thought that was so cute. I guess that does sound really high to a five year old, but I was proud of my 3000 something finish!

LoL They would have loved my 8044 finish place then. :rotfl:

UGH...me too!!! I started getting a sore throat on Friday and it's just progressed since then...I haven't even gotten out to run or go to my bootcamp class...and I'm supposed to participate in a Warrior Dash in less than 2 weeks :confused3 I also figure it's because I was just physically worn out from the half and then all the park touring for 3 days after. I'm itching to get back out and run though before I get too used to this down time!
I am amazed I have not gotten sick. There were kids coughing all over me both at the parks and on the ME back to the airport.

My husband is doing the warrior dash too! He hasn't trained at all and he isn't a runner so it will be interesting.

Do you happen to know of any local 10ks in the April/ May time frame? I want to do one then and one in the fall to help keep my training up and get a better corral placement for next years Princess but I haven't really had any luck on finding anything yet.

I ran for the first time post race yesterday and it went okay. I made a new pace record but that was only because I switched over from 4/2 intervals to running a mile and walking 2 minutes. I don't think I am really ready for that yet so I am going to work on stretching out my walk breaks a bit more slowly and hopefully I will get to run a mile walk 1 or 2 minutes by next years princess. That alone should give me a new PR.

I used to feel this way, but Jeff Galloway was an OLYMPIAN. If an Olympic runner can do walk breaks, then I can, too. Not only do I finish faster with walk breaks, I think it is much easier on my body, and I hope that will enable me to enjoy the sport for a long, long time. And honestly, I bet there were very few people that didn't walk AT ALL during the half. My friend finishes half-marathons in less than two hours, so I definitely think she qualifies as a runner, but even she walks through all the water stations.

if its good enough for Jeff...good enough for slowpoke me!

Some people are just so full of themselves...sheesh. When I start to get down about my slow time from the 1/2, well slower than I ever anticipated, I just say to myself...."how many people can endure 3.5 hours of exercise in warm and humid florida on a bum foot...." puts it in perspective.. I DID IT!

IMy husband is doing the warrior dash too! He hasn't trained at all and he isn't a runner so it will be interesting.

Do you happen to know of any local 10ks in the April/ May time frame? I want to do one then and one in the fall to help keep my training up and get a better corral placement for next years Princess but I haven't really had any luck on finding anything yet.

I'm really excited for the Warrior Dash...if I can shake this cold in time! My whole boot camp class is running as a team...we've got several levels of fitness in our class so we decided in the beginning we would all stay together as a team for the entire event and help each other out at the obstacles if needed...so should be really fun...and my Dad is bbq'ing for everyone afterwards. Good luck to your husband! Do you know what wave/time he signed up for? I think we're in the one at noon on saturday.

I don't know of any local races off the top of my head, but I haven't really looked for any myself. I'd like to do another one as well just to keep me motivated from now until the DL half and the Wine & Dine. If I find one, I will let you know!

I'm really excited for the Warrior Dash...if I can shake this cold in time! My whole boot camp class is running as a team...we've got several levels of fitness in our class so we decided in the beginning we would all stay together as a team for the entire event and help each other out at the obstacles if needed...so should be really fun...and my Dad is bbq'ing for everyone afterwards. Good luck to your husband! Do you know what wave/time he signed up for? I think we're in the one at noon on saturday.

I don't know of any local races off the top of my head, but I haven't really looked for any myself. I'd like to do another one as well just to keep me motivated from now until the DL half and the Wine & Dine. If I find one, I will let you know!

He is in the last wave on Sat. He registered last minute and that is all that was open that day.

How cool you are doing DL and Wine & Dine. I was considering DL but 12 and 14 mile long runs in Aug. kind of scared me off. I would love to do Wine & Dine, but I just don't think I could swing it, money wise, since I want to stay deluxe for next years Princess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter