Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I may be in the exception to the rule, but I appreciate it when the expos are open to the public because there are some vendors I want to purchase from but I may not to do it online. I may not participate in every runDisney race, but I appreciate living close enough to a Disney Park that I can go to the expo and pick up items I need for my running activities and local races. For example, during the last Star Wars race we opted to not run due to scheduling conflicts but I wanted to go to the Expo and pick up some Sparkly Soul headbands and Raw Threads shirts for training. Raw Threads' sizing is inconsistent and I could try on the items I wanted without having to ship stuff back if I ordered incorrectly - plus, I didn't have to pay for shipping!

Keep in mind -- we DO NOT go to the "official merch" area. We aren't running the race and therefore nothing in that area pertains to us. No purses, tshirts, or pins for us! We have to run the race to earn it. :)

Yes, makes total sense for the "regular" Expo merchandise. Disney needs to come up with a better plan for runners getting the Official event merchandise. They did have two areas for that, but anyone was allowed in both! pirate::crazy2:

Hey guys! I just got home last night and I don't think there's a chance of catching up on the thread today. That being said I definitely had fun though I will have to prepare more if I plan on walking the parks the day before the half. I didn't account for that in my training for back to back races. I did hit some of the rudeness but it generally seemed to be from people who didn't know running etiquette and expected everyone to pull over to the side so they could go through and honestly it didn't bother me too much because I was having so much fun and I feel like if I hadn't learned from you guys or gone with veterans I wouldn't have known the etiquette either.

I will say the expo was crazy but we went there before grabbing our bibs so we didn't have much trouble getting what we wanted and getting out. Seeing the same stuff people were fighting for go on ebay for a huge markup is majorly disappointing though.

Edit: Also I discovered why you all love raw threads. I was wondering if anyone had the club membership and could tell me whether or not the find it worthwhile.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I might like to try another race next year. Perhaps the Star Wars Half - Light Side in Disneyland next January. Has anyone done that race? I haven't been to Disneyland in years and the MLK long weekend would work well for my sister the teacher.

Well, we're finally home and rested enough for me to post my race recap. I figured I'd join in on the fun.

1) The Expo. Ugh. Everything that's been said here has been accurate. That being said, I'm rarely tempted to buy race merch, I haven't since my first PHM in 2012, but since we won't be coming back for PHM17, I decided to give it a go. What a nightmare. I grabbed whatever I could and got the heck out of there. The powder blue Run-Princess-Run pullover is a tad bit small, but I can deal with it. My fiancé missed out on the grey rD hoodie with orange lettering (they didn't have his size) and he was kicking himself all weekend because he really wanted it.

2) I, too, feel like PHM is becoming the forgotten child. Race communications were dreadful, even with our super-sleuthing here on the Dis. It was very frustrating to find out any information. I can only imagine what the general public (non-DIS folks) was thinking.

3) The bus driver from AKL to the Half was CLUELESS. I hopped on at Jambo House, then we picked up more runners at Kidani Village. After that, he tried to take us to Animal Kingdom, where we politely corrected him and told him we needed to go to Epcot. He had to do a five-point turnaround to get back in the right direction. Then he blew past our turn to Epcot, where we told him he missed it, and he replied "You need U-turn? Go to Hollywood Studios?". He turned around, only to ignore the merge into the right-turn only lane to get to Epcot with the other 4,000 buses and cars. So, he had to have a policeman wave him through the intersection to get to Epcot. It was a nightmare. It took 45 minutes to get from AKL to Epcot.

4) I tried the coconut puffs. They're delicious. I still stand by my opinion that the rest of the snack box was subpar, but oh well, by the end of the Half I had a well-stocked fridge full of desserts since we were on the DDP.

5) Since I ran all three races, I'm pretty impressed with my abilities as a runner (this is the most mileage I've done in one weekend). Will I do all three races again? NO. Especially not with touring the parks. It was painful. I might consider it if they taper the races to go Half > 10K > 5K, so you end with a smaller distance, but I doubt that will ever happen. We're skipping PHM17 (as mentioned above) since that's when we're doing our honeymoon, but will be back for PHM18. Not sure if I'll do GSC or just stick with the Half, though. Probably GSC, because I'm a medal hoarder. Speaking of which:

FB_IMG_1456513228276_zpsmwhmsw0f.jpg

I. LOVE. BLING.

After PHM18, we may explore other races (W&D or Star Wars).

6) I didn't experience any nasty runner attitudes all weekend long. Maybe I was oblivious or in a Disney haze, but I felt like most, if not everyone, was in really good spirits. Happy, encouraging, enthusiastic. I didn't get as much of girl-power camaraderie spirit as in year's past with this race (maybe because they want to be all-inclusive or something, I dunno), but it was still a fun event nonetheless. My fiancé was one of the untrained masses, and while he had to stop for walk breaks, we never averaged more than a 12-minute mile for the 5K & 10K, and were able to finish strong. I think this kind of inspired him to work out more now that he knows what he's truly capable of.

Well, we're finally home and rested enough for me to post my race recap. I figured I'd join in on the fun.

3) The bus driver from AKL to the Half was CLUELESS. I hopped on at Jambo House, then we picked up more runners at Kidani Village. After that, he tried to take us to Animal Kingdom, where we politely corrected him and told him we needed to go to Epcot. He had to do a five-point turnaround to get back in the right direction. Then he blew past our turn to Epcot, where we told him he missed it, and he replied "You need U-turn? Go to Hollywood Studios?". He turned around, only to ignore the merge into the right-turn only lane to get to Epcot with the other 4,000 buses and cars. So, he had to have a policeman wave him through the intersection to get to Epcot. It was a nightmare. It took 45 minutes to get from AKL to Epcot.

I heard about that bus. We ended up on the other worst bus for the 1/2 which left from All Star Movies (or Music we were close to both so I forget which we used for which races) and the driver said "anyone know how to get to epcot" when people got on and everyone laughed awkwardly thinking it was a joke. It was not. He couldn't figure it out had to ask police for info at which point most of the roads had been closed and the road he went on would not have been able to get him to Epcot. Instead he had to drop us off at the transportation center so we could do the monorail. That alone was an hour. Once we were on the monorail it wasn't bad but the whole thing was kind of a mess.

I heard about that bus. We ended up on the other worst bus for the 1/2 which left from All Star Movies (or Music we were close to both so I forget which we used for which races) and the driver said "anyone know how to get to epcot" when people got on and everyone laughed awkwardly thinking it was a joke. It was not. He couldn't figure it out had to ask police for info at which point most of the roads had been closed and the road he went on would not have been able to get him to Epcot. Instead he had to drop us off at the transportation center so we could do the monorail. That alone was an hour. Once we were on the monorail it wasn't bad but the whole thing was kind of a mess.

Oh wow. I would have been livid. How does that even happen? Not one, but TWO drivers who had no idea how to get around?! Oy.

Oh wow. I would have been livid. How does that even happen? Not one, but TWO drivers who had no idea how to get around?! Oy.

We had a driver from the Finish line (either after the 10k or the half, don't remember which) bringing us back to CBR and he got lost IN the resort. We ended up where the CMs park and check in for the day. All the CMs coming in for work look VERY confused why a giant bus was driving thru their parking lot very slowly. Finally he managed to get out and then asked "if anyone knows where to stop next, just let me know"

Our Bus Driver from the Half back to AKL was horrible too. We had to start screaming at him to turn the right way - we went from EPCOT to Disney Springs to Back to Magic Kingdom when he was bout to U Turn again until I lost it on him (along with a few others)

I barely made it back to the room before 11AM so I could bathe before we left for Disney.

Thankful this virus waited until after PHM weekend to attack me!

Left work early yesterday and stayed home today...fever, body aches, sore throat...ugh! I had the flu shot in the fall, so I am thinking this might be a sinus infection.

Thoughts on 2016 PHM:

We have done every PHM except the first one. Every year, after finishing, we have said, "can't wait to do this next year!" Until now...we are still undecided about 2017.

My daughter and I are educators, so we do not get vacation days. We both use 2 of our 3 personal days for this race...flying down on Thursday after school and return on Monday. Since we can't get to the Expo until Friday, we have been unable to buy the official merchandise we wanted for the past two years...and I am not willing to preorder unless I can see a photo of what I am ordering!

I don't know the answer to the Expo issue. The reports from the opening of the Expo are just sad...no one should be pushed, shoved, or punched while shopping.

The only race etiquette breaches we encountered were at the water stops. At several stops, there were runners who came to a dead stop when getting their cups, causing a pile up of runners who had to put on the brakes or plow into the stopped runners. Didn't see anyone get knocked down, but did see a few near misses.

We stayed at YC and really enjoyed walking back to the room through Epcot after the Half! Used a nice, clean restroom in World Showcase...much better than a post-race port-a-potty! Both DH and I thought our legs felt better having walked back.

It was our second GSC and both were easier than we expected! If you are thinking of doing a Challenge, I say "Go for it!"

Last edited:
From what I'm reading, I feel like some of the people who are feeling disappointed with the DPHM are people who do a lot of runDisney races. Like, maybe all of them. At least one per year for several years.
And I can understand that if you frequently run races that send off runners with fireworks and feature marching bands and drum lines and Disney characters along the route- then variations in the number or frequency of those things are going to matter more to you than they will to someone who is not accustomed to those things. Or if you have run the course with fewer participants, you will be more sensitive to the impact of changes in runner density.
This was my second trip to Disney World, and I went with a family, half of whom go to Disney at least once a year, a few people more frequently (they are Disney travel agents) and the other half for whom Disney is not a regular vacation. And I could see there were marked differences in the expectations and excitement over a lot of things throughout the weekend. And it seems similar to the experiences I read about here with regards to the PHM experience.

Eventually, someone in our party pointed out to the veteran "Look, we don't get to come here every year. We're going to want to do different things. This is what is important for us and it is just as valid as what is important for you." And I felt a lot better. It was my vacation just as much as it was theirs, and I was happy someone else was gently reminding our more seasoned friends that we were really excited to be there and do things that maybe were not considered special anymore by the frequent fliers.

This was my first half marathon. I did not run at all before we decided to do the PHM, it was the reason I started to run. I trained diligently, I got a POT that put me in corral F. My friends and I were really excited to be running, we were in F, G, and J corrals and we all had a great time on Sunday. We expected it to be crowded- especially the girl in J- circumstances had prevented her from making the race she had planned to run for POT so she didn't submit one, and she was sort of expecting to walk through the castle in a horde- but we all were able to run freely the whole time. I ended up running nearly every split much faster than my training pace (I had negative splits all the way to mile 7)- although I didn't even think about the fact that moving around runners added distance, I think I added a 0.6 of a mile total- and my GPS would announce miles well before I could see the markers. There were times when there was absolutely no one to my right or left, and I never had to walk. So I had a lot more room than I was expecting. My finish time was a PR. I didn't stop for characters, but I hadn't planned to. For the three of us, this race at least, we really wanted to just run around Disney World. And I got exactly what I wanted. The moon was HUGE and just setting above the trees as we ran down the highway in the first 2 miles. Through the Magic Kingdom sign- I passed a man there running in jeans and a t-**** trying to turn his jeans into cutoffs- not sure what he was thinking. Our friends found the perfect spot at Ticket and Transportation Center to wait for us (much better than trying to get a spectator spot at Magic Kingdom- especially since the 3 of us were so spread out in pace- she waited for all of us to pass, then hopped back on the monorail to Epcot to get a great spot at the finish line) I was so excited to see them I feel like I blinked and all of sudden it was mile 5 - somewhere in there I ran under an overpass that had Kristoff, Anna and Elsa above it making it snow- and I was running through the Magic Kingdom. It had just become light outside and I ran through the castle without having to slow down, got a jump shot in front, back through Frontierland. The only other princess I saw besides Anna and Elsa on the route was Belle with Beast on the way out. (Alice in Wonderland was in the MK too, but not technically a princess) But I was actually more excited to see the family from the news- the father who was pushing his daughter in the wheelchair the whole race- just getting their picture. Down the back stretch the sun was rising behind the palm trees at the Polynesian, which was so pretty. Lots of funny spectator signs from guests at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Shades of Green. When we came back to the hairpin where you could see the beginning part of the course on the left ~mile 10- we passed the balloon ladies and waved. They were followed by like 10 black vans, which kind of looked like a funeral procession. Then we got to the hills- I thought there was only 1- there were 3! But the Army guys were great- one was running backwards saying "You've got to work for this picture, come on!" Then after the photo was snapped he yelled "Now, go get those five seconds back!". Passed another marching band and some kids handing out twizzlers on the way into Epcot, got a picture in front of Spaceship Earth. Waved to my family at the finish line and doing so made my headphones fly out of my hand, so I had to run back and get them and Goofy was helping me along. Not a graceful finish but a memorable one.

And maybe if I'd done a dozen runDisney races this wouldn't seem so cool. But I haven't and it was awesome. And we met a lot of great people walking around the parks afterwards- they'd see the medal and say "Congratulations". Best reaction was on Monday- I hadn't worn my medal that day but my friend had, to Hollywood Studios, and she showed it to the Green Army men- who went nuts over it- "called" over other Green Army men to look at it- pantomimed that if he'd tried to run that distance he'd puke. She got a great picture. I was jealous. Definitely take your medal to Studies in future. Plus the Stars Wars fireworks- oh my God, they are awesome!

So, as someone who experienced the race in it's current incarnation for the first time, for whom this is my only runDisney experience, it was totally worth my time and money. We had a fantastic weekend (1 kids race, 2 people in 10K, 4 in the Half (one was a GSC)). If you are contemplating running it for the first time, I would bear in mind while reading about other's reactions that expectations and opinions about the same experience can vary widely depending on what you have to compare it to.

PS:
Also, for me, shopping at the Expo was not really on the agenda (the t-shirt I got with registration and my medal were plenty of souvenirs for me)- I would have happily grabbed my bib and left. But it was of interest for some of my companions. Due to flight times, we didn't arrive at the Expo until 1:30 on Thursday. I was expecting bedlam, from what I'd read here. Nope. There was NO ONE in the bib pickup, we walked right up to the desks. Same with picking up shirts and bags. The Official Merch had all the "I Did It" shirts- with the map on the back. Magnets. Long sleeved shirts. Only thing we couldn't find were 1XL and 2XL sizes. If you wear a small or medium, they had everything. We didn't even have to wait in line to try on the shoes. All the Raw Threads merch was there- it had a long line at first, but that disappeared when we made a second lap and my friend bought the Mama Bear shirt. I would have had a far less pleasant experience if I'd tried to get there early.

Loved your post ! The magic of Disney races never ends for me and it is the reason DH and I started to do half marathons.

Can I just rant for a second? I think y'all will understand this more than my non-runner friends.

I have had zero support from anyone outside of my husband and a few friends and you guys. My parents never said congratulations, even when I wore that giant, heavy medal to their house on Monday! Last night my husband talked to MIL and when he mentioned that I ran the 10k she said "well, is she ever going to run a half marathon?" Because 6.2 miles isn't good enough I guess.

Yes, I am 46 years old and wanting validation from these people. I've never been an athlete. My dad always jokes about how I can't walk and chew gum. I didn't have the great PE teachers that my son has so I never developed the motor skills that were needed for most sports. It isn't like I do this all the time and they are tired of cheering me on at the Olympics. For me, 6.2 miles is a huge deal!

I was 45 when I decided I needed to do the PHM when I had NEVER been a runner! Now five years later still doing Disney races even though running is not easy for me with asthma. my family other than DH wasn't very supportive but I am okay with that and I am here to tell you be proud of what you have done !:flower1:

I'm thinking I might like to try another race next year. Perhaps the Star Wars Half - Light Side in Disneyland next January. Has anyone done that race? I haven't been to Disneyland in years and the MLK long weekend would work well for my sister the teacher.
So, no sooner have we returned home from our first runDisney half ever, and my friend is talking about doing another. Her husband wants in and she wants a Coast to Coast so they may do Avengers or DisneyLand Half. Then she mentions the Kessel Run. Which I was "meh" about- I've never had an abiding desire to see Disney Land. (And if there is no World Showcase in California, where will I get my Canadian Cronut of Victory?) And then I saw the medals. The LightSide Star Wars medal is a reproduction of the medal Han and Luke get at the end of Episode IV. And the Kessel Run medal is the Millenium Falcon.
I need them.
Damn it.

So, no sooner have we returned home from our first runDisney half ever, and my friend is talking about doing another. Her husband wants in and she wants a Coast to Coast so they may do Avengers or DisneyLand Half. Then she mentions the Kessel Run. Which I was "meh" about- I've never had an abiding desire to see Disney Land. (And if there is no World Showcase in California, where will I get my Canadian Cronut of Victory?) And then I saw the medals. The LightSide Star Wars medal is a reproduction of the medal Han and Luke get at the end of Episode IV. And the Kessel Run medal is the Millenium Falcon.
I need them.
Damn it.

Lol we all get suckered by the medals, I swear! I'm go smacked by the amount of medals I see on eBay afterwards. Gosh, no way I would be parting with mine!!!

I'm so thankful I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, or I'd be in real trouble with all these races!

Suffering from spasms and tight muscles in my calves ever since getting home. Massage yesterday and foam rolling along with tiger balm and tons of water. I guess I'm taking it easy for a bit.

Lol we all get suckered by the medals, I swear! I'm go smacked by the amount of medals I see on eBay afterwards. Gosh, no way I would be parting with mine!!!

I'm so thankful I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, or I'd be in real trouble with all these races!

No kidding! A bi-coastal challenge on TOP of a coast to coast medal! So many medals! I'm not sure I could resist it.

Suffering from spasms and tight muscles in my calves ever since getting home. Massage yesterday and foam rolling along with tiger balm and tons of water. I guess I'm taking it easy for a bit.

I'm so sorry! Yes. Definitely take it easy.

I did the 10K. Same etiquette issues but from taller men. LOL

I might consider it if they taper the races to go Half > 10K > 5K, so you end with a smaller distance

Wouldn't that be fabulous???

People's experiences with the half busses is why I rent a car for Disney. The event bus drivers are contracted, so they don't know Disney property at all. I picked AKV for several reasons for sat/sun (among them club level being available which has never worked out for me in my years of owning DVC) but among them is that it is a straight shot to where you need to go to get to EPCOT on race morning. Left the hotel around 330-340; was in the race retreat tent by 4AM.

Speaking of, those port o potties at race retreat??? They should have had flood lights for the area so in the morning we could actually SEE while back there and in the potties. It was pitch black.

Make sure you're still keeping up on your electrolytes. Water is good but if your electrolyte balance goes a bit wonky, cramps are likely. Also, keep stretching and rollering. This too shall pass.

I have been reading all the posts from this week, but I have been so busy that I haven't had time to chime in. I am absolutely horrified by the "mean girls" I am very glad that I did not witness any of that on the course. To me the diversity is what sets Disney races apart from other races. Before I started running, I though all runners were skinny young things, and that as a 40something mom I was never going to be that. But seeing people of all ages and shapes out there on the course is so inspiring to me.

I did see some etiquette issues on the course, but mostly it was people who would put their hand up to signal that they were going to walk and then just stop right away. It's kind of like using your turn signal as you are turning, not very helpful, lol. But at least they were attempting. I went in to the weekend knowing that I was not going to PR any of these races, I just slowed down and took it all in. There is nothing quite like running down Main Street USA.

Now I'm just under 7 weeks until we go back for Star Wars Dark Side weekend. Then I have to make a decision about next year. I am thinking about doing the marathon in Jan.

Here is some of the bling I came home with.

I feel like a ran a different race from most of you, I had a great time! Granted my only other run Disney experience was the 2015 tinkerbell and instead of running I was in urgent care with a bad case of food poisoning. Perhaps I just had a good time because I was running on the course than just to the bathroom :scared:. I met a ton of nice people and I was just really impressed with everything. It's hard to feel spoiled when you are running and gross and sweaty but that's how I felt with all the water stops and volunteers cheering us on. I didn't have my best time but I stopped for a few characters along the way. I was able to finish feeling strong. I loved being able to get ice and Powerade and the snack box, even if my two year old stole my goldfish. I can see where there are negatives to the event but since it was my first time I was able to just get caught up in the excitement. It was a perfect start to our family vacation. It might be a few years till I can do another one but I can't wait. Thank you to all of you on here I appreciated reading your tips and input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter