Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

So- do we think we’ll have the same courses as last year??? I want to run bear island rd again.
If I had to guess I'd say it will be the same as the 2017 Wine & Dine Half (basically the same as Star Wars except we run through Pandora in Animal Kingdom). I could potentially see them changing it a bit to avoid the Hollywood Studios gondola construction as well.

The problem with doing the movies in chronological sequence is that you miss out on the HUGE reveal at the end of Episode 5 (I think those of us who have seen the movies know what I'm speaking to). I say start with Rouge One then go into 4,5, and 6. If you need to, catch up on 1,2, and 3 to answer any questions you may have, then go on to 7 & 8.
I am pretty sure every person on earth (whether they've seen Star Wars or not), already knows the "reveal" in Episode 5 lol. It's the most famous movie line of all time.

If anyone is still in the fence as to whether to do this race, one of the TAs has discounted bibs for the challenge and a couple for the half......

Rogue One falls in between Episodes 3 and 4. So for people who have never seen the movies, I would go Episodes 1-8 in order, with Rogue One in between 3 and 4.
:scared1: You can tell I was rushed and hadn't had adequate coffee yesterday - OF COURSE Rogue One goes between III and IV! IDK what I was thinking. Shame and remorse, shame and remorse. :guilty:
Although... I actually prefer Rogue One at the end, after VII (until VIII releases - my opinion may change then).

Whether or not Darth Vader is a bad guy is complicated. One of the things I love about Star Wars is how the characters are complex and closer to the real world.
This is my very favorite part of SW - it all felt very black and white (literally and figuratively!) as a kid, but the complexity of it all, watching as an adult, is so much more meaningful to me now. I think that's why III rivals VI as my favorite of the franchise.

My follow-up question was if he was like Snape.
That's a really great comparison! VERY different characters with different flaws and aspirations, but... yeah.

So- do we think we’ll have the same courses as last year??? I want to run bear island rd again.
Me too! That battle scene was my favorite part of the course :woohoo: I can't think of any reasons to change it - I'll be surprised if it's not basically, or exactly, the same.

Here's the 2018 Event Guide http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwswdshm042318

Course maps look the same.

New water park 50% discount listed in it, you have to show your race bib & can purchase up to 4 tickets.
SAVE 50% on 1-Day Water Park Ticket with Blockout Dates*
Ages 10+: $30*
Ages 3-9: $27*
ON SALE: April 19, 2018 – April 26, 2018
They must not be selling water park tickets. If only it wasn’t so difficult to get to with Disney transportation.

YES! This is a great course. It does stink not running through the castle. However, the flow of traffic is great on this course. The biggest bottleneck is the construction area of the Skyliner by Hollywood Studios and onto the path to the Boardwalk.

I am glad we get to run through Pandora, especially on Animal Kingdom's 20th birthday.

This will be the third time that I have done this similar course (2017 Dark Side, 2017 Wine and Dine, and this one).

I hope they have some different characters then the usual characters.

My guess at the Pre and Post Race. Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, Captain Plasma, Boba Fett, and maybe Elite Praetorian Guards. If no, Praetorian Guards, then probably a display for Jabba the Hutt.
Along the course, probably get 3-4 displays (Hoth Cave with a buried lightsaber, Emperor Palpatine's Chair, something else), Ezra and Sabine (Star Wars Rebels), Ewoks, Darth Maul, Stormtroopers (Original Trilogy, Sequel Trilogy, Rogue One Death Trooper), Chewbacca, Jawas. Those are the very likely.

Possible characters at any of the 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon races: Rey, Droid Statues (C-3PO, R2-D2, K2SO, BB-8), BB-8 may be mobile, Greedo (he has still been out since Star Wars Weekends).

Oh oops didn't notice so half is slightly different but just like wine & dine 17s.
They must not be selling water park tickets. If only it wasn’t so difficult to get to with Disney transportation.
I don't know, water parks when it's hot can get pretty packed & close to capacity, when it's cold not so much! We 90% of the time have taken buses and yeah it is kind of pain but manageable :) Maybe they thought it was great way to target the runner's who maybe don't normally go. I hope they do it in the future.

Oh oops didn't notice so half is slightly different but just like wine & dine 17s.
I don't know, water parks when it's hot can get pretty packed & close to capacity, when it's cold not so much! We 90% of the time have taken buses and yeah it is kind of pain but manageable :) Maybe they thought it was great way to target the runner's who maybe don't normally go. I hope they do it in the future.
I just find the idea of having to go to take a bus to either Disney springs or animal kingdom in order to then switch to another bus to then go to the water parks is time consuming and a hassle. This is where Uber or Minnie van would come in handy.

Has anyone ever driven to a race instead of taking the bus? There are 3 of us running the 5K. The last time I ran, my DS and I took the bus but my DH and DD drive to watch us finish and we went back to Beach Club with them. When DH ran the 10K, the kids and I took the bus to meet him at the finish and the lines to get back via bus were INSANE - it took us an hour to get on a bus!

This time - DH, DS and I are running the 5k. We are staying at BLT and no one is coming to watch us finish. I’m considering driving so we don’t have an extended period of time waiting for busses when it ends.

Would love some opinions on this.

For different reasons - we will also be driving to the expo on a Thursday (won’t be going there to/from a resort) and back to ESPN for kids races on Saturday (heading straight to Epcot after).

I know this has probably been discussed, but now that we know the course and sort of have the packet, when do we find our coral placements? (Sorry for the questions, this is my first runDisney event.)
Also, I need someone to ease my mind here, I'm signed up to do the half (FYI, I'm not a huge runner, I've only been running for fun since last year and I've done a bunch of 5ks and 2 10ks), and was doing great with my training until my wife and I had our second kid. I have had so little sleep that it's hard to find time to get out and run. Because of that, I think my high mileage is 7 miles. I know I can walk a faster than a 16 minute mile, but I want to at least try you know....

I know this has probably been discussed, but now that we know the course and sort of have the packet, when do we find our coral placements? (Sorry for the questions, this is my first runDisney event.)
Also, I need someone to ease my mind here, I'm signed up to do the half (FYI, I'm not a huge runner, I've only been running for fun since last year and I've done a bunch of 5ks and 2 10ks), and was doing great with my training until my wife and I had our second kid. I have had so little sleep that it's hard to find time to get out and run. Because of that, I think my high mileage is 7 miles. I know I can walk a faster than a 16 minute mile, but I want to at least try you know....
I would think wavers will be out within the next week or two as well as Half placements.... for 10 and 5 you won't know where you are until packet pick up

Has anyone ever driven to a race instead of taking the bus?
I have driven to the Princess 5K and 10K and will be driving to the Dark Side 10K. I've never had any issues...it's always been super easy, no traffic and no waiting to get in/out. I will say that I try to arrive a little bit earlier just incase there are any issues!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter