Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Has anyone ever driven to a race instead of taking the bus?
I stay offsite and drive to every race - it's easy! Just follow the directions in the official guide and leave early: roads do close, and traffic gets heavy as you get close to race time. For DS 10K and half, you'll park at EP and then take a bus to get to the start area - there will be lots of signage and streams of people to follow to get to the right place. Also know that there can be long lines to exit the parking lot after the races. Not always, and I'm sure a lot depends on what time you're leaving, but there is the possibility.

I know this has probably been discussed, but now that we know the course and sort of have the packet, when do we find our coral placements? (Sorry for the questions, this is my first runDisney event.)
Corral placements will probably come out end of this week, maybe next week. First you look up your waiver, which will list your bib number at the bottom. Then you can use your bib number to look up corral placement on the corral charts when those are released. All of this will be posted right here long before you get an email from rD!

Also, I need someone to ease my mind here, I'm signed up to do the half (FYI, I'm not a huge runner, I've only been running for fun since last year and I've done a bunch of 5ks and 2 10ks), and was doing great with my training until my wife and I had our second kid. I have had so little sleep that it's hard to find time to get out and run. Because of that, I think my high mileage is 7 miles. I know I can walk a faster than a 16 minute mile, but I want to at least try you know....
Running on inadequate sleep is HARD, I know! Plenty of folks have finished half-marathons without building past 7 miles, so it certainly isn't impossible. If you can try to get another longer run in over the next couple weeks, it'll help, but if not, don't sweat it and see what race day brings.

I know this has probably been discussed, but now that we know the course and sort of have the packet, when do we find our coral placements? (Sorry for the questions, this is my first runDisney event.)
Also, I need someone to ease my mind here, I'm signed up to do the half (FYI, I'm not a huge runner, I've only been running for fun since last year and I've done a bunch of 5ks and 2 10ks), and was doing great with my training until my wife and I had our second kid. I have had so little sleep that it's hard to find time to get out and run. Because of that, I think my high mileage is 7 miles. I know I can walk a faster than a 16 minute mile, but I want to at least try you know....
I ran the 2017 Avengers half last November on just 3 weeks training after having not run or exercised at all for 6 weeks. While not ideal, I made it work.

You however are probably in a better position than I was since I had not run anything over 3 miles since 2017 Dark Side. I agree with @PrincessV . If you can get a 9-10 mile run in sometime in the next 2 weeks, you should be okay. My last long run on the 3 week training plan was 10 miles the week before the race. Do your best to get all the shorter weekday runs in before the race to maintain your most recent long distance.

Accept that your final time may be a lot slower than you would like, but that's okay. And don't be afraid to start slow and build up your speed. That will help keep more in your tank for the later more challenging miles.

Now...bring on the merch preview!!!!!
Yes!!! And I wanna see the race shirts!

I'm so excited for this weekend. I originally was doing this with a friend but long story short, it's just me now. I took that Friday off for packet pickup and a solo day at Animal Kingdom (Ok...I mostly just want Flame Tree BBQ :)) then I'm doing the 10K Saturday with Grand Floridan Cafe brunch after and Magic Kingdom. Finally, on Sunday, my mom and I will be taking advantage of the water park discounts!

I'm really excited to see what my time is compared to Princess weekend. I've had more training time and since I'll be alone, I won't have to hold my pace back for anyone like I did in February. I'm hoping it's good enough to use for proof of time for W&D but we'll see. I'm having a hard time finding a local 10K from May - July to sign up for. Any Orlando/Central Florida locals have race suggestions?

Yes!!! And I wanna see the race shirts!

I'm so excited for this weekend. I originally was doing this with a friend but long story short, it's just me now. I took that Friday off for packet pickup and a solo day at Animal Kingdom (Ok...I mostly just want Flame Tree BBQ :)) then I'm doing the 10K Saturday with Grand Floridan Cafe brunch after and Magic Kingdom. Finally, on Sunday, my mom and I will be taking advantage of the water park discounts!

I'm really excited to see what my time is compared to Princess weekend. I've had more training time and since I'll be alone, I won't have to hold my pace back for anyone like I did in February. I'm hoping it's good enough to use for proof of time for W&D but we'll see. I'm having a hard time finding a local 10K from May - July to sign up for. Any Orlando/Central Florida locals have race suggestions?

I live in central FL too! I think there is a May 10K in Cocoa Beach and I know there’s one in July in Orlando. Check runningintheusa.com or active.com. I don’t remember where I saw them listed.

I live in central FL too! I think there is a May 10K in Cocoa Beach and I know there’s one in July in Orlando. Check runningintheusa.com or active.com. I don’t remember where I saw them listed.
Thanks!

I saw the Cocoa one but it's actually on the beach and I don't know if I want to run on sand...but the medal IS pretty neat. The one is July ("Moss Park Forest Run") looks cool so that might be my best option unless there is something else that pops up.

I will also be signing up for Track Shack's 5K Watermelon run on July 4! :)

I haven’t run more than 4 miles since marathon weekend and I don’t usually train more than 6 personally. I’m not worried about my time this race because it’s my favorite race. You can walk this thing and finish if your in good health. I ran 2:21 for the half in Jan and that was my PR. I started with the light side Jan 2017 first Half Marathon at 3:15 with mostly walk/run. About 30% run that time. I’m in average shape. What I’ve leaned is that its all mental, people!

Hoping to hear the coral placements soon! Crossing my fingers for coral A. I have missed coral A by 5-10 spots the last two runs.

Thanks!

I saw the Cocoa one but it's actually on the beach and I don't know if I want to run on sand...but the medal IS pretty neat. The one is July ("Moss Park Forest Run") looks cool so that might be my best option unless there is something else that pops up.

I didn’t know it was actually ON the beach. I suck at running on sand.

This may sound crazy or random. How about a DIS Board meet up for the Animal Kingdom 20th anniversary? It is on the same day as the Half Marathon. Like drinks somewhere.
I’d be down for that one as my FP+ are there that day

DRINKING AROUND THE WORLD: AK EDITION

I am definitely here for this.

That's like, what, two countries (and some new planet called "Pandora")? I could actually manage that and not have to be carried back to my room!

Thanks!

I actually ran the beach 10k last year and it was a great race! The sand is really packed so it wasn't hard to run on at all. The only thing was if you need to use the bathroom during the race you have to leave the beach which is a real time killer. They have port-a-potties in the parking lot near the start but I'm not sure about any place along the course... I had to go find an open bar lol! The after party brunch was really good and the medal is one of my favorites. I'm actually signed up to run it again this year. They have discount codes pretty often too. Hope this helps! :flower3:

I actually ran the beach 10k last year and it was a great race! The sand is really packed so it wasn't hard to run on at all. The only thing was if you need to use the bathroom during the race you have to leave the beach which is a real time killer. They have port-a-potties in the parking lot near the start but I'm not sure about any place along the course... I had to go find an open bar lol! The after party brunch was really good and the medal is one of my favorites. I'm actually signed up to run it again this year. They have discount codes pretty often too. Hope this helps! :flower3:

Thanks - good to know!! I hate sand in general so it turned me off and I'm not sure if it's ideal for getting a good proof of time for the W&D half but I'll look into it more! It does look fun and the seahorse medal is so cute :)

Thanks - good to know!! I hate sand in general so it turned me off and I'm not sure if it's ideal for getting a good proof of time for the W&D half but I'll look into it more! It does look fun and the seahorse medal is so cute :)

You set this up.... "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." - Anakin Skywalker

I run on Cocoa Beach a few times a month (my parents have a condo there), and I can say while the sand is hard packed, it is never really close to running on firm ground. I normally run about a minute or two slower per mile on sand. I signed up for the 10k but I am doing it for pure enjoyment (and the medal looks cool). But if your main goal is a good POT, I'd recommend another race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter