Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In further response to the allergen cake situation...I just spoke with someone about getting a cake at CRT and asked if the frosting could be tinted a color. It cannot be done because of the facility where the cake is made needing to be completely allergen free. They won't do any decorating other than to write 'Happy Birthday.' I even tried to ask about moving it to the regular facility to decorate it..but that didn't go well.

I asked if I could bring my own topper to the restaurant to give to them. I can, as long as it's not edible.

Stinks for those of us who need our cakes to be free of an ingredient.
I can make a dairy free cake at home for about three bucks. Sorry Disney, I love ya, but your MK cake department is disappointing.

Ok, Question #4 :goodvibes, does anyone have a picture of the allergy free cake? How is it decorated if not custom made? If its really cute, I may just go with it anyway but if its just a simple round chocolate cake, probably not.

I can't help you with your question, but I happened to see your going on a wish trip. We went on one for my DS in December. You will have a GREAT time. :thumbsup2

Edited to Add: I just read your PT report and my son also had neurblastoma in his right lung cavity. Glad she is doing well!

I've been lurking around the cake threads for a while. I know during one of my late night marathon looking sessions I'm certain I found a list of cake & filling flavors. I can't remember where I saw it. <--it was reeeaaally late... LOL! Does anyone know where I might have seen this? TIA!

You saw it on the first page of the old Cake Chatter II thread, here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1859670

:goodvibes

Now I have to decide, do I want this cake to be made by the Boardwalk Bakery, and pick it up after a day at DHS? Or, do I want to cancel my dinner reservation at Mama Melrose and reschedule at The Wave or Chef Mickeys?

I think you have a better chance of getting an elaborately decorated cake from the Contemporary than from BoardWalk Bakery, if that's what you're after. Otherwise, I say just do whatever's more convenient for you. :)

2) We have three choices for location. Which would you choose?
a) Ohana's Breakfast (not sure about cake at 8am)
b) hotel room during afternoon break (staying at GF ... but I think DS would like the 'show' of having a cake in public)
c) Crystal Palace dinner (I've heard resort cakes are better...)

If you were doing a regular cake, I'd say to get it at the GF, but since the allergy-free cakes appear to be made from a mix and can't really be customized, it sounds like they'll be the same no matter where you get them.

We are going in Oct and then in Jan. I would like to order a cake for Jan. I hear some can get 6 in cutstom and some can't. We are staying at BCV could order from BW. I want a red cake that says BonVoyage with yellow trim. With Mickey icons on it.

If you're staying at BCV, just order it from teh Yacht 7 Beach Club bakery. :thumbsup2

So I have read two posts where people got cakes from mods... One from CBR and one from POR. Can someone give me some insight on how this worked? Did you call the resort? Cake hotline? And what were your options? Dana

Call the Cake Hotline and follow the prompts for the resort you're staying at. Odds are, it will be made by BoardWalk Bakery, and those options are all listed in this post:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31694108&postcount=580

So, on to the important stuff, who makes a better cake? Just trying to get my ducks in a row with ADRs for our Sept trip. I want to order a cake for our anniversary.

All the Disney cakes I've ordered tasted the same to me. It really just depends on how big a cake you want, since the Contemporary won't customize anything smaller than an 8-inch, while GF will do a 6-inch.

We have reservations at CM, although I'd prefer to not do it there. We're staying at BLT, can they deliver a cake to the room from the Contemporary bakery?

Yes.

Now, more importantly. Do I just do a mini-wedding cake to keep the cost down or do I go for a more fun cake? DH loves Star Wars so I was thinking of doing a Micky & Minnie as Han Solo & Leia cake. My budget for the whole meal is about $250.

In that case, stick with the mini-wedding cake. Elaborate cakes can run $100-$250 for a single tier at the GF. The cheapest cakes are about $65.

We got our custom cake yesterday and we were delighted with it

$75
22nd July 2010
Whispering Canyon
It was a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate mouse and fresh raspberries covered in cream and hot pink & black fondant .
It was for DD's 12th birthday and her present was an i-Pod touch so I asked Brian if he could put an i-Pod on the top which he did. It's made of white chocolate and totally edible.

Day3cake.jpg

Day3Birthdaycake1.jpg

DD was absolutely delighted with it and I'd say we'd be eating it for the next few days popcorn::

We got our custom cake yesterday and we were delighted with it

$75
22nd July 2010
Whispering Canyon
It was a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate mouse and fresh raspberries covered in cream and hot pink & black fondant .
It was for DD's 12th birthday and her present was an i-Pod touch so I asked Brian if he could put an i-Pod on the top which he did. It's made of white chocolate and totally edible.

DD was absolutely delighted with it and I'd say we'd be eating it for the next few days popcorn::

WOW, awesome cake and not a bad price either!!! :)

Congrats!

In further response to the allergen cake situation...I just spoke with someone about getting a cake at CRT and asked if the frosting could be tinted a color. It cannot be done because of the facility where the cake is made needing to be completely allergen free. They won't do any decorating other than to write 'Happy Birthday.' I even tried to ask about moving it to the regular facility to decorate it..but that didn't go well.

I asked if I could bring my own topper to the restaurant to give to them. I can, as long as it's not edible.

Stinks for those of us who need our cakes to be free of an ingredient.
I can make a dairy free cake at home for about three bucks. Sorry Disney, I love ya, but your MK cake department is disappointing.

That sucks! I'm going to give it a shot though. I"m hoping for Crystal Palace so I expect I'll get the same reaction... my question is, if its made from a mix they have to make it somewhere... why not decorate it in the same place!

I can't help you with your question, but I happened to see your going on a wish trip. We went on one for my DS in December. You will have a GREAT time. :thumbsup2

Edited to Add: I just read your PT report and my son also had neurblastoma in his right lung cavity. Glad she is doing well!

Thanks so much for the well wishes! Did you do a trip report? I'd love to read it. How is your son doing? I hope he's doing ok.

Stephanie, I linked to your PTR ... our kiddos were diagnosed within DAYS of each other! Sydney was diagnosed four days later. Its crazy how one day, life can be normal and the following day, it turns upside down. I'm so happy to hear your little guy is doing well. This cancer is nasty ... and both of our kiddos have beaten it (cross fingers) :grouphug: Did you do a trip report? I'd love to read it.

Has anyone ever ordered a Phineas and Ferb cake? My DH thinks that show is great and would love to do something with Doofenshmirtz for his b-day cake. I would be ordering it from the Contemporary.

i haven't seen one in my stalkings on this thread, but i think that would be awesome! my kids have fallen in love with p&f...i have to sing the opening song now everytime its one. lol the contemporary has an amazing pastry team, i'd call the cake hotline number and push whatever for the contemp. once you get whomever answers, ask for an email for their pastry chef, don't be shocked if you get a run around at first, as i did, i was persistant and called back and she gave me his and withing 24 hrs i heard back from brian about my custom cake. he made ds's cars cake identical to the pic i sent with the exception of the chocolate car, he had to use a plastic one as a topper. no biggie! i suggest checking out flickr.com and searching for a p &f cake. then you can go from there and email the pic to brian. good luck!

What are the options for cakes to be delivered to room at value resorts? I am staying at the All Star Movie Resort and am thinking about ordering a surprise cake for my sister. What are the options ans prices, not looking for custom cakes (unless they could write on a premade cake). I know there is the treasure chest cake and the Sara Lee ones. What are the prices on these or are there any more options? Also how would one go setting this up?

What are the options for cakes to be delivered to room at value resorts? I am staying at the All Star Movie Resort and am thinking about ordering a surprise cake for my sister. What are the options ans prices, not looking for custom cakes (unless they could write on a premade cake). I know there is the treasure chest cake and the Sara Lee ones. What are the prices on these or are there any more options? Also how would one go setting this up?

I checked on this last year and found that one cannot have a cake delivered to a Value Resort. There are cakes in a little freezer in the food court (usually, probably should call and check), or you can order a cake at the Boardwalk Bakery and pick it up there. Sorry, I don't have better news.

Ok we are back and I've been putting off posting. We were really upset and disappointed with the cake we got. In fact we sent it back and didn't pay for it. My husband was furious. In fact he didn't even eat, he made them take his meal off the bill and went back to the room to cool down.

I see the cake of the IPod and the detail that went into it and I wonder what in the world happened with our cake. I read a post about someone asking for a cake last minute and it was going to be a doozie and lets see if Brian could pull it off. This cake was requested around the same time ours was to be done. Pics haven't been posted yet of that cake but it really makes me wonder!!!

DH and I came up with a design that we wanted and he quickly put some images together in PhotoShop (not at all perfect by any means because we were trying to get everything over to Brian).

I clearly stated that the images were for example purposes and I didn't want ediable images. I wanted them to pop off of the cake. I loved how they did the cars cake where everything popped off the sides of the cake and nothing was an ediable image.

The cake wasn't horrible but the work was sloppy and the attention to detail just wasn't there. All the images were printed and just slapped on the cake. Most of the images were grainy because they were small images that were blown up. It was not at all worth the $200 we were quoted for it.

My son wanted a test track cake. On the top of the cake we wanted to use the Mickey Head Pin of test track. I said I want the Mickey Ears to stand out and pop but lay flat on the cake. Maybe cut out of fondant if that makes sense.
Mickey_Ears_top.jpg

On the side we wanted the big Test Track sign like when you walk up to the ride:
Test_track_entrence.jpg

On another side of the cake we wanted the caution door when you go in to see the movie. We wanted the door to say 09 because it was my son's 9th bday so we did a quick mock up in photoshop:
ride_movie.jpg

On the final side we wanted the crash doors and we wanted some type of car crashing into the cake. I said it didn't have to be a test track car. Any kind would work. This part of the cake was awesome. A little chocolate race car was made which was cool :) Here is the design we sent of just the doors without the car:
crash_door.jpg

I also requested a dummy head coming out of the opposite side of the cake where the car crashed to look like the dummy went through the cake. I asked if the yellow caution signs could be done around the cake where there were empty spaces to help fill them up.

Here is what we got:
tsttrackcake.jpg

tsttrackcake2.jpg

tsttrackcake1.jpg

We have our December vacation planned out for my daughter's birthday but I will not be ordering a special cake from Disney again :( :( :(

I am sorry you were not happy with your cake. According to what you requested it appears to me you got everything based on your pictures and requests? :confused3 As I read your request then I saw the cake it is kinda what I would've pictured.

Sorry you were disappointed. It looks kind of like what i pictured as well but it was definitely not a 200.00 cake by any means. Looking back at what you asked for I think you were hoping for a more 3-D cake with things actually standing off the sides of the cake? Is that right?

According to what you requested it appears to me you got everything based on your pictures and requests? :confused3 .

From my point of view....that's exactly the problem. All they did was screen print EXACTLY the mock-up they got sent. Even blew up the mickey pin in it's blurry glory to put on top of the cake. I think it looks pretty darn bad myself.

Ok we are back and I've been putting off posting. We were really upset and disappointed with the cake we got. In fact we sent it back and didn't pay for it. My husband was furious. In fact he didn't even eat, he made them take his meal off the bill and went back to the room to cool down.

I see the cake of the IPod and the detail that went into it and I wonder what in the world happened with our cake. I read a post about someone asking for a cake last minute and it was going to be a doozie and lets see if Brian could pull it off. This cake was requested around the same time ours was to be done. Pics haven't been posted yet of that cake but it really makes me wonder!!!

DH and I came up with a design that we wanted and he quickly put some images together in PhotoShop (not at all perfect by any means because we were trying to get everything over to Brian).

I clearly stated that the images were for example purposes and I didn't want ediable images. I wanted them to pop off of the cake. I loved how they did the cars cake where everything popped off the sides of the cake and nothing was an ediable image.

The cake wasn't horrible but the work was sloppy and the attention to detail just wasn't there. All the images were printed and just slapped on the cake. Most of the images were grainy because they were small images that were blown up. It was not at all worth the $200 we were quoted for it.

My son wanted a test track cake. On the top of the cake we wanted to use the Mickey Head Pin of test track. I said I want the Mickey Ears to stand out and pop but lay flat on the cake. Maybe cut out of fondant if that makes sense.
Mickey_Ears_top.jpg

On the side we wanted the big Test Track sign like when you walk up to the ride:
Test_track_entrence.jpg

On another side of the cake we wanted the caution door when you go in to see the movie. We wanted the door to say 09 because it was my son's 9th bday so we did a quick mock up in photoshop:
ride_movie.jpg

On the final side we wanted the crash doors and we wanted some type of car crashing into the cake. I said it didn't have to be a test track car. Any kind would work. This part of the cake was awesome. A little chocolate race car was made which was cool :) Here is the design we sent of just the doors without the car:
crash_door.jpg

I also requested a dummy head coming out of the opposite side of the cake where the car crashed to look like the dummy went through the cake. I asked if the yellow caution signs could be done around the cake where there were empty spaces to help fill them up.

Here is what we got:
tsttrackcake.jpg

tsttrackcake2.jpg

tsttrackcake1.jpg

We have our December vacation planned out for my daughter's birthday but I will not be ordering a special cake from Disney again :( :( :(

Seriously, you did not like that cake??? I just showed it to my 14 year old son & he said "WOW"!!!!!! I LOVE it !!!
I think it is great !!!!! I am sorry you did not like it, who can I get to make me a cake like that one?

:santa::santa::santa:

:guilty: So they brought the cake to the table- your son got to see his b-day cake, and then you sent it back?

He did not get to cut his cake?

ETA- I certainly agree the cake was NOT worth $200!

Do not think the Test Track cake is any less special than the ipod one. In fact, I think it is a pretty rockin' cake :thumbsup2. I make cakes for kids parties, and have to point out that kids and grown-ups see things very differently. Also- kids have no idea of costs involved. While I do not think the cake is worth $200 (and why you would have been charged that when the ipod cake was $75 I cannot understand), I am sure that is a factor in how much you like the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter