Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you were disappointed with your Test Track cake. :guilty:

I've been toying with ordering a cake for our next trip but I hesitate because I'm not the best at letting things roll off my back so I know I'd be irked if I got something that was way different than what I ordered. I think I might rather go without cake than be irked :rotfl:.

Looking back at what you asked for I think you were hoping for a more 3-D cake with things actually standing off the sides of the cake? Is that right?
Exactly we were hoping the images would stand off of the sides of the cake. I sent Brian the e-mail with what I wanted and he responded back with the quote and to call the cake line to place the final order. After I placed the final order I e-mailed him back to let him know and to contact me if he had any further questions. No response in return, I figured we were good to go.

From my point of view....that's exactly the problem. All they did was screen print EXACTLY the mock-up they got sent. Even blew up the mickey pin in it's blurry glory to put on top of the cake. I think it looks pretty darn bad myself.
Exactly that is the problem. All they did was screen print the exact mock up.

Seriously, you did not like that cake??? I just showed it to my 14 year old son & he said "WOW"!!!!!! I LOVE it !!!
I think it is great !!!!! I am sorry you did not like it, who can I get to make me a cake like that one?

Like I said it wasn't horrible but it totally wasn't $200. We know the taste of their cakes aren't great but the effort that went into it for the price wasn't worth it. I mean look at the Ipod cake for $75. Our cake in Sept was had way more effort put into it and it was only $100.
I could have gotten this cake from the grocery store for $50 :( Maybe you can go there to get your son one like that.

So they brought the cake to the table- your son got to see his b-day cake, and then you sent it back?

He did not get to cut his cake?

They brought the cake to the table and he got to see it. He was OK with it. Not excited at all. See his brother's cake in Sept was way better looking than this one. I asked the waitress if I could get the price of the cake because it wasn't what we specified and for the cost, I wasn't going to pay $200 for it. The manager came out and said she understood and she took the cake away. She didn't try to bargin price or anything she said not a problem and took the cake. I don't know if they wanted us to say "wait we will take it we just won't pay $200 for it" or what. We let it go and explained the matter to our son. He was fine with it. We took him to Ride Makerz instead and he was a super happy camper :) He still got a cake and Happy BDay sung to him later.

I've been toying with ordering a cake for our next trip but I hesitate because I'm not the best at letting things roll off my back so I know I'd be irked if I got something that was way different than what I ordered. I think I might rather go without cake than be irked

My husband doesn't let things roll off his back either. He is still totally PO'd about the whole situation.

I read through the post...saw the cool cake...thought "what's the problem! That's an awesome cake!! That was certainly worth the $50 or maybe even $75 she paid for it."

Then I re-read the post. $200?? :scared1:

That was NOT worth $200. No wonder you were ticked. I'm ticked for ya!

200?

Really?

They can do better for that amount of money.

I read through the post...saw the cool cake...thought "what's the problem! That's an awesome cake!! That was certainly worth the $50 or maybe even $75 she paid for it."

Then I re-read the post. $200?? :scared1:

That was NOT worth $200. No wonder you were ticked. I'm ticked for ya!

200?

Really?

They can do better for that amount of money.

Thank you :) That is exactly the point.

In further response to the allergen cake situation...I just spoke with someone about getting a cake at CRT and asked if the frosting could be tinted a color. It cannot be done because of the facility where the cake is made needing to be completely allergen free. They won't do any decorating other than to write 'Happy Birthday.' I even tried to ask about moving it to the regular facility to decorate it..but that didn't go well.

I asked if I could bring my own topper to the restaurant to give to them. I can, as long as it's not edible.

Stinks for those of us who need our cakes to be free of an ingredient.
I can make a dairy free cake at home for about three bucks. Sorry Disney, I love ya, but your MK cake department is disappointing.

Just thought I'd update. Called for an allergy free cake at Crystal Palace (via the cake hotline) and the lady was useless. First, kept saying 'we can't guarantee no traces on any cake" and I asked what was the point of the allergy free cake and she said 'oh, I don't kow about that... let me check.. hmmm, yup its peanut free... you want that?" Seriously useless. I asked about custom and she kept saying they don't custom any cake. Hmm, yeah, right.

Called GF and they called back today. Fantastic lady! She did explain the problem with customs. All their customs are done on a white chocolate backing. Apparently in the US, you can't get chocolate that is made in a nut free facitily... I didn't know that as here in Canada, many companies have nut free facilities. Anyway, we discussed it. She's going to make a chocolate allergy friendly cake for DS and custom make it. DD won't eat any of the custom chocolate on top, just the cake and icing. She'll be fine with that as her allergist said 'may contain' is ok (although I try to avoid) When I mentioned that its DD's wish trip, she remembered that I said DD doesn't like choc cake much anyway so she won't have much. She asked if they could make a white cupcake for DD to enjoy while DS has his cake. She was just wonderful! Its going to be deliveried to our room at the GF during our break on the day we're celebrating his bday... still hoping for pixie dust at Ohanas and CP that day so DS gets a cupcake or soemthing there too. Bottom line, try GF... they were wonderful and really tried to help.

I have not had a cake for my Birthday in years and we are going in Jan. I have been looking at all the great cakes and really want one. But to me BC told me I would have to rder a 10 in. There are 3 of us. We are not eating at the GF or CR. They quoted me $75. I just don't know if that is what I want or the nice white chocolate minnie and some strawberries. Or go get a small mickey mickey cake from the BW bakery. Or the rice krispie cake from MSB.
Lexi

Has anyone ordered a special cake to have at the Brown Derby? I was originally thinking of the mini wedding cake, but then I read that the park restaurants can't do those. Is this true? Could they do a regular round cake with special decorations? Or can only the BW Bakery, GF Bakery, etc. do custom cakes? Thanks!

guys, i need help.

Need a small bday cake with a nice Cinderella castle on top (light up?) delivered to a resort room. Can you give me advice on which one to go with? It's a surprise.

I'd like it delivered with balloons if possible. I do not know where we are staying yet.

Can you give me ballpark price? will they deliver to a moderate hotel room?

want choc cake w/ respberries inside and white choc moose

Hi everyone!
I apologize because I'm new to the Cake Chatter thread so please forgive me if my questions have been answered already!

My understanding is that if you aren't staying at one of the Deluxe resorts that has it's own bakery, they can not deliver it to your room, correct? So for example, we're staying at CSR in October so I would not be able to have it delivered to our room there?

That aside.... I would definitely want one of the more elaborate cakes with the fondant and the whole 9 yards. We do have a dinner reservation at Jiko while we're in Disney. I looked through more than half of the cake pictures and just wanted to ask for experiences specific to ordering a cake from AKL.

My other option would be to have it delivered to Ohana on our last night but I wasn't sure if that would work either. I feel so confused and yet I know this is not that hard! :headache:

Thanks!

We stayed in CSR last June and wanted a cake for my sister's birthday. We went to the Maya Grill podium and ordered the cake for later that week. It was a carrot cake - nothing fancy or elaborate but it was the tastiest, most moist cake i have ever eaten. They brought it out at the end of our meal in Maya Grill. It was only something like $25 I cant remember exactly. You had a choice of several different flavours of cake, it was well worth it. Six of us ate it and there was enough to last us all week in our fridge. :banana:

In further response to the allergen cake situation...I just spoke with someone about getting a cake at CRT and asked if the frosting could be tinted a color. It cannot be done because of the facility where the cake is made needing to be completely allergen free. They won't do any decorating other than to write 'Happy Birthday.' I even tried to ask about moving it to the regular facility to decorate it..but that didn't go well.

I asked if I could bring my own topper to the restaurant to give to them. I can, as long as it's not edible.

Stinks for those of us who need our cakes to be free of an ingredient.
I can make a dairy free cake at home for about three bucks. Sorry Disney, I love ya, but your MK cake department is disappointing.

wow thanks for the heads up! That is disappointing!!! And its why I started making my own cakes for DD who has a peanut allergy.
I was going to call about making a Cars or Toy Story Cake for DD since we she'll be starting Kindergarten 2 wweeks after our vacation, saying "Good Luck in School, Enjoy the Ride"...disappointing.

Has anyone ordered a special cake to have at the Brown Derby? I was originally thinking of the mini wedding cake, but then I read that the park restaurants can't do those. Is this true? Could they do a regular round cake with special decorations? Or can only the BW Bakery, GF Bakery, etc. do custom cakes? Thanks!

It depends on what you mean by special decorations. The park bakeries can do screen prints and confetti, but nothing with fondant or other elaborate decor like you see on cake-focused reality shows... :teeth: You *might* be able to get the BoardWalk Bakery to deliver to Brown Derby the way the Contemporary will occasionally deliver to Cinderella's Royal Table, but I've never heard of them doing this—you'd need to speak with someone at the BoardWalk Bakery by calling BoardWalk Inn.

Good luck! :)

guys, i need help.

Need a small bday cake with a nice Cinderella castle on top (light up?) delivered to a resort room. Can you give me advice on which one to go with? It's a surprise.

None of the bakeries do inedible toppers, so if you want something that lights up, you'll have to ask them to leave space on top of the cake and put it on yourself.

I'd like it delivered with balloons if possible. I do not know where we are staying yet.

Can you give me ballpark price? will they deliver to a moderate hotel room?

want choc cake w/ respberries inside and white choc moose

Balloons would come from Disney Floral & Gifts: http://www.disneyflorist.com/

Ballpark for a custom cake is $55 and up for a 6-inch with buttercream frosting, $75 and up for a 6-inch with fondant. Certain bakeries require you to order an 8-inch or 10-inch, and the price goes up from there.

A recent poster had success asking for a cake to be delivered to her Moderate resort by calling the Cake Hotline and following prompts for her resort's table-service restaurant. They said they could get a cake delivered to the Mod's food court by BoardWalk Bakery and she could pick it up there.

The Cake Hotline number is listed in the first post of this thread. :thumbsup2

Cake is ordered!! After several emails back and forth with Chef Brian we decided on a buttercream iced cake, vanilla, with buttercream filling. I called Private Dining today and ordered the cake. It will have the princesses on it and we are having it delivered to our room on August 17th at BLT!! I was quoted $75 and told that the cake will feed 16. I do have to be in the room when the cake is delivered (also need to call private dining after we check in to give them our room number) and then the rest of the group will show up for the surprise. I think my girls will be so excited and surprised!! Can't wait. I will definitely post pictures when we get back. Really want to express many thanks for this thread - I had no idea speciality cakes were even an option and really had no clue it was such an easy process.

hello cake world! i've recently returned from wdw and am very excited to show the cake we ordered for my sister's birthday! we were dining at narcoossee's and i originally called gf private dining to order a fondant cake, but was transferred to the cake line (with pat) and ordered a 6 inch fondant cake. we ordered a chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling (delicious!), buttercream frosting covered with fondant. (originally wanted red velvet but this flavor wasn't available for the 6 inch)

cost: about $70 with tax
called about 2 weeks before the dinner
i asked for a 6 inch cake with fondant, asked if roger rabbit was available, was super excited when she said yes! she asked what color fondant i wanted and said to leave it up to the chefs

here's what it looked like:
disney2010234.jpg

disney2010240.jpg

disney2010242.jpg

the cake was delicious, we ate only about half and brought the rest back to our hotel room. this is the second cake i've ordered while dining at gf and was again extremely impressed by the execution (the first was an anniversary cake in 2007, white fondant with silver mickey stamps and white chocolate wedding mickey and minnie)

they had changed the way to order a cake since then, but was still very impressed by the process and end result!!

I'm planning to order a cake from Pat at the GF. I was just wondering if fruit filling is an option or if it's limited to mousse or buttercream?

Ok we are back and I've been putting off posting. We were really upset and disappointed with the cake we got.

Wow. I was expecting the cake to look different, especially for $200. It does look like they just printed out what you sent. I think they could have been very creative with this cake especially with that budget.

It seems like they didn't understand correctly or that they were so busy to not be able to do the cake to the best of their abilities. Do they turn cakes down if they don't (truly) have time for them?

Hi Everyone

We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary towards the end of August. We are staying at the Poly. I would love to have an anniversary cake made up for us. Does anyone know if a Donald & Daisy take topper is a possibility? I don't think I have seen one, and I would really like to have a cake made up in that theme.
I appreciate any info/ideas you might all have.:goodvibes

Can anyone reply? Anyone there at all?

Can anyone reply? Anyone there at all?

I've seen (and bought) a Donald statue but I'm not 100% sure about a Daisy statue but I'm thinking I have seen one somewhere. I've never seen one of both of them together though.

I'd call and see what they can do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter