Official Dopey 2018 Thread

It's good to know a few of us already are thinking about it! I am a half marathoner (did 16 in 2016) and this just feels like the next illogical step. Haha!

To the poster who mentioned walking, I have to say I hadn't even considered going to a park during the weekend. We are staying at YC or BC and want to walk to Epcot for dinner and that's it. In and out, otherwise laying in bed and mentally preparing myself for the next day's run while icing, stretching and foam rolling.

While I don't advocate full days at the parks between races, I would recommend getting out there and doing some Park time to keep moving. Being up and moving will actually help with recovery, keeping the muscles warm and blood flowing through to flush out the waste products from the run. It will also keep them from tightening up as badly as laying around will.

Joining in! My friend and I decided we wanted to run Dopey 2018 just hours after we finished our first marathon (Disney 2016). I'm super jealous of everyone doing it this year, but we decided we shouldn't do it this year because we didn't think our families would be too happy with us if we went to Disney without them for two years in a row (we like to make our running adventures girls trips).

I'm very excited and I've been waiting for a Dopey 2018 thread...:D:D

It's good to know a few of us already are thinking about it! I am a half marathoner (did 16 in 2016) and this just feels like the next illogical step. Haha!

To the poster who mentioned walking, I have to say I hadn't even considered going to a park during the weekend. We are staying at YC or BC and want to walk to Epcot for dinner and that's it. In and out, otherwise laying in bed and mentally preparing myself for the next day's run while icing, stretching and foam rolling.

Expo Day, 5K Thurs and 10K Friday are normal days for me. I am conscious after the half on Saturday because I don't want to over do it, but I would go stir crazy sitting around all day. And no matter how tired or crummy I feel I always make myself get out Sunday afternoon/evening. Makes Monday much more manageable.

Last year was my first marathon at WDW so I'm getting all nostalgic this week. I was advised after the race to take an ice bath, then warm shower, then rest in the room for a bit. The first two were fine, but I couldn't bring myself to rest while the parks were open. So I went to EPCOT for a while and had pictures with the characters, went to the MK to see the Electrical Parade and fireworks and then a late dinner at Ohana. I'm sure I looked funny walking (more like limping) around the parks, but it was great.

I'm planning on doing Dopey, not sure how I'd handle the parks. Probably some park time the day before the 5k and on the day after the 5k, maybe even a little after the 10k, but after the half, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking it easy. Getting excited just thinking about it.

I'm also going to be doing the Dopey next year! I've watched friends do it the last few years and now I really really want to do it for myself. I did the 20th anniversary marathon and I figured it would be fitting to do the Dopey for the 25th anniversary. I was excited to see this thread started already cause I've actually been planning this since last year. I have bad knees and had gotten out of running half marathons so I wanted time to re-train and get back into everything. I'm excited though! I was at the expo for the WDW marathon this weekend (I'm running the half) and all I could think about was next year...

I had been planning on Dopey 2018. But due to a bad hamstring injury (that wasn't even running related >:() I had to defer my full in 2016, and haven't been running much through fall and early winter for a lot of reasons, so I had decided not to do Dopey next year, just the full. But now reading about all these Dopey runners right now I am back to really wanting to do it. Question for those of you who have done it. Is it actually reasonable to go for if I am basically starting from scratch right now? A full year should be ample time to prepare right? My plan had been a half in the spring, full in the early fall, then after recovering form the full, get into Dopey prep.

I also really wish they'd come out with a better plan for deferrals or offer race insurance or something. If they did that, I'd sign up for sure...

DVCFan, Depending on your level of fitness starting, and your past history with running the training distances, 14+ miles, I'd say there is no reason why you can't.

IMO, the Dopey is only marginally harder than running the full if you're trained for it. By that, I basically mean putting in those back to back runs. For me, the key to distance training is not so much the long run every couple weeks (although crucial), the real helpful workouts are the weekly med-long runs in the 8-12 mile range run at MP. I find that when I do these runs, I'm much more prepared to go the distance because I'm always running on "tired" legs.

So for me, my training plan will resemble a normal Marathon Training plan but I'll extend it to 20-30 weeks to allow for more long runs and a week off somewhere and I'll be doing 8-12 mile med-long MP runs from the start.

This running thing is highly individualized though.

DVCFan, Depending on your level of fitness starting, and your past history with running the training distances, 14+ miles, I'd say there is no reason why you can't.

IMO, the Dopey is only marginally harder than running the full if you're trained for it. By that, I basically mean putting in those back to back runs. For me, the key to distance training is not so much the long run every couple weeks (although crucial), the real helpful workouts are the weekly med-long runs in the 8-12 mile range run at MP. I find that when I do these runs, I'm much more prepared to go the distance because I'm always running on "tired" legs.

So for me, my training plan will resemble a normal Marathon Training plan but I'll extend it to 20-30 weeks to allow for more long runs and a week off somewhere and I'll be doing 8-12 mile med-long MP runs from the start.

This running thing is highly individualized though.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was certain of my participation in 2018 a year ago. I do have a history of injuries, so I think thats where my concern comes from. But, I think if I ramp up slow but steady and forget about pace for this year and worry only about staying healthy (which means slowing down for me) then I should be fine. I think my main metal block in deciding to go for it is the triple combination of rD moving registration up to 2/14, the disappearance of deferrals for injury and my recent layoff from running. 5 weeks until register to cement my thinking!

With the except of December where some serious life stress got in the way of regular exercise, my fitness is generally decent. I've done the Glass Slipper Challenge three times and the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge once, and three of the four challenges had the 5k as well. I like the challenge weekends, and thats why Dopey seemed the next logical step. I've always used a modification of Hal Higdon's plans for half races and that has three midweek runs T-W-TH with Wednesday being longer, half of the weeks long run usually. I think I'll just have to bump from 4 runs per week to 5. My plans also build for two weeks then cut back for one, also to ward of injury.​

I had been planning on Dopey 2018. But due to a bad hamstring injury (that wasn't even running related >:() I had to defer my full in 2016, and haven't been running much through fall and early winter for a lot of reasons, so I had decided not to do Dopey next year, just the full. But now reading about all these Dopey runners right now I am back to really wanting to do it. Question for those of you who have done it. Is it actually reasonable to go for if I am basically starting from scratch right now? A full year should be ample time to prepare right? My plan had been a half in the spring, full in the early fall, then after recovering form the full, get into Dopey prep.

I also really wish they'd come out with a better plan for deferrals or offer race insurance or something. If they did that, I'd sign up for sure...

I think you could totally train in a year for Dopey... it sounds like your heart is in it and you've figured out a pretty solid training plan. In my experience, a lot of these long races are mental so if you're heart is in it, you've already accomplished the first step!

Race insurance would definitely be an interesting, and probably a popular decision. Not sure how runDisney would handle it, or if they would outsource it to someone else...

I'd also add that 4 good runs are better than 5 runs just to get another day in. I've found that running about every other day for me keeps the injury monster away. It also lets me keep all my runs at 6+ miles, which is great for building that cardio endurance.

So, before adding a day, take a look at your plan and your preferences for adding time to one of the runs.

And yeah, one stop for a photo will completely blow and time goal so might as well forget the marathon time goal on race day and just have a great time! That's my plan. I'm going to have fun, take some pictures, make some friends, and if there is a Running God in heaven I'll find a beer around the half way point.

I am in for Dopey 2018! I only have a few more boxes to tick before I can say I have completed the full suite of runDisney races and I am happy to do Dopey in an anniversary year!

I am also heading to Disneyland in November to do a mini-Dopey (5K + Infinity Gauntlet challenge) which will be perfect training for the multiple early mornings.

My only regret is that although they are only a couple months apart, they are different calendar years so I don't get another Coast 2 Coast medal! Luckily I already ticked that box...

This will be my first Dopey, and second RD Challenge weekend. I fully intend to spend my days in the parks, movement (walking) after races always helps me recover :) I've seen all the nighttime shows, so I'll be in bed by 7 or 8 each night.

I am also heading to Disneyland in November to do a mini-Dopey (5K + Infinity Gauntlet challenge) which will be perfect training for the multiple early mornings.

I'm using this race weekend as a preparation for Dopey too! It fits the miles perfectly for training and is my last push before my "run the slowest marathon ever" rehearsal later that month. :)

I'm planning to do the same thing but with the Wine and Dine weekend! I can't get out to Disneyland this year for coast to coast, but luckily I have run it in the past and I plan to run coast to coast in '18 just because I think it is appropriate.

So... how will Dopey registration be affected by today's terrible news? My heart breaks for everyone at WDW right now.
Exactly....Dopey, Goofy and Platinum Chear Squad. We will know more at 10pm....I will definitely be going early to Expo to get my refunds for chear and schedule a Disneyland half for 2017.

Exactly....Dopey, Goofy and Platinum Chear Squad. We will know more at 10pm....I will definitely be going early to Expo to get my refunds for chear and schedule a Disneyland half for 2017.

I'm really hoping we don't have to go to the expo to defer or get the refunds. There has to be an online way to figure that out as well so fingers crossed on that.... there will just be so many people. Poor cast members too, having to deal with a lot of angry runners...

I'm really hoping we don't have to go to the expo to defer or get the refunds. There has to be an online way to figure that out as well so fingers crossed on that.... there will just be so many people. Poor cast members too, having to deal with a lot of angry runners...
My mom just came from the SSR lobby where she said a bunch of runners were in there asking questions and what not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter