Official Dopey 2018 Thread

Prolly should try to squeeze in a long run here pretty soon.

How's everyone else's training going?

Late to respond to this but I'm going to anyways because I have been MIA too long lol. My training has not been nearly what it should be. In the last 7 months I have gotten addicted to Orange Theory Fitness and just worked in a few long runs and shorter runs here and there. To my surprise I felt great when I did my simulation last weekend so I'm hoping that's a good sign! Did 2, 5, 10 and 20! It was slow, but I have always been slow! I'm going to try and get a few more shorter runs in just to get my feet up to speed but hoping things go smoothly.

Hello Everyone,

New to the boards, but not to running Disney. It was a Disney run that marked my first half ever. I’ve done challenges, Coast-to-Coast, and the Kessel Run. I’ve also done Ragnar relays. I felt like the 25th year was the time to try going full Dopey. It’ll be my first marathon. But, if there is a marathon I thought I’d enjoy, I felt Disney World was the one. Had someone recently bail on me, so I had to book a room by myself last minute, but AAA got me into the Best Western next door that has a shuttle at 3:30/4:00am to the race. No meal plan, but I did get the park hopper pass with the on-property discount. I usually go with others, so I hope it’s not abnormal going to do this by yourself. I now have all of a month to figure out what my solo park plans are now gonna be. I want to be excited, but now I’m honestly a little nervous. I’m also logging my 40-50 miles a week, but my longest runs have been 15, 18, and 19 miles. I find it’s a little hard when you to Dopey train while you have other half-marathons and race days at the same time. Haven’t really been able to 100% follow any plan. Any advice for a solo marathoner with anxiety would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

~Nicole

Hi Nicole! I'm going to be there solo Tue-Thurs and then running the races solo (with a possible friend Sunday depending on placement). I am going to be at AKL and plan to head to the expo Wednesday when it opens and then just take it easy, roam around my hotel or use up some Landrys rewards at Yak & Yeti at Animal Kingdom if you're looking for something to do. I did this plan last year with being alone a few days and it worked out nice! I made friends in the corrals and throughout the weekend, I loved it! You're more than welcome to join for snacks or a drink on any of these days! :flower1:

Any Dopes bringing their past medals with them for photo ops?
I'm not, but I'm not perfectly Dopey. I did the inaugural Dopey, but then went back to running Goofy. If I was perfect a pic with all 5 Dopey medals would be cool.

When I did the DLR half there were a lot of people that had all their medals for their coast to coast that included all their Dopey medals. Those were neat pictures.

I have all of my Dopey medals on a single holder with no other medals on it and it's pretty full. I haven't tried, but it looks like I'd be somewhere between Mr.T and a maester on Game of Thrones if I threw all of them on at once. I think I'll have to do it when I get home, but I'm not sure I'm going to lug all of them to race weekend.

If I were going this year, I'd only bring them if I were Perfectly Dopey.
I have all of my Dopey medals on a single holder with no other medals on it and it's pretty full. I haven't tried, but it looks like I'd be somewhere between Mr.T and a maester on Game of Thrones if I threw all of them on at once. I think I'll have to do it when I get home, but I'm not sure I'm going to lug all of them to race weekend.
Take them around with you in a backpack, pull them out for pics, and then stow them back in to carry around the parks? :) You need at least one amazing picture with all of them on!

If I were going this year, I'd only bring them if I were Perfectly Dopey.

Take them around with you in a backpack, pull them out for pics, and then stow them back in to carry around the parks? :) You need at least one amazing picture with all of them on!

I think I have to go for it now. I’m driving down so I wouldn’t have to stow them in my luggage or carry them on a plane. I’m pretty sure it will be a multi-minute process getting them properly laid out before any pictures. I may have to wrangle an entourage of handlers to accompany me to the parks to accommodate my glamour shots.

I think I have to go for it now. I’m driving down so I wouldn’t have to stow them in my luggage or carry them on a plane. I’m pretty sure it will be a multi-minute process getting them properly laid out before any pictures. I may have to wrangle an entourage of handlers to accompany me to the parks to accommodate my glamour shots.
Start practicing your poses now! Build that into your training plan! :upsidedow

So ... I was waiting in line for a picture with Dopey in Germany at the end of W&W and I see this runner go past with a backpack.

I saw her again in China, but this time, she was pulled off to the side of the course and she had a friend helping her put EVERY SINGLE MEDAL from 2017 races (including virtual) on her arms and she ended up walking across the finish line with all of them.

So ... I was waiting in line for a picture with Dopey in Germany at the end of W&W and I see this runner go past with a backpack.

I saw her again in China, but this time, she was pulled off to the side of the course and she had a friend helping her put EVERY SINGLE MEDAL from 2017 races (including virtual) on her arms and she ended up walking across the finish line with all of them.

That would make for a cool picture but I think I'm lucky I can carry my own body beyond the finish line let alone that many medals LOL

Ok so bib #'s are live! If only they had not changed up the corrals so drastically and I could see an approximate of where I fell ... a little piece of info at a time makes me crazy.

Her arms had to have been killing her. I'm imagining someone bumping into her and her just tipping over from the extra weight. :eek:

I've carried individual medals with me so I can have the Castle2Castle or Chateau2Castle photo op post race, but I cannot imagine carrying that weight for that long. Props to her and her resolve.

I’ve carried the medals from a race challenge with me during the half before - back when I liked the post race photos because the backdrops were specific to race weekends. Now, I’ll throw them in my GearBag if I want a parking lot beer picture with them or something for Insta.

I pulled my two Dopey medals off the rack this morning and wrapped them up to take, mostly because I’m basic. :rotfl2:

I’ve carried the medals from a race challenge with me during the half before - back when I liked the post race photos because the backdrops were specific to race weekends. Now, I’ll throw them in my GearBag if I want a parking lot beer picture with them or something for Insta.

I pulled my two Dopey medals off the rack this morning and wrapped them up to take, mostly because I’m basic. :rotfl2:

Now you have me thinking I need to bring mine from last year just in case I decide I want a picture :rolleyes1 ETA - this is probably why my husband thinks I have too much to bring with and could cut down my packing quite a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter