OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Hi everybody,Im Lynne and my hubby is Len, so pleased to meet you all, my husband and I run for fun, we have done lots of halfs and 2 fulls, we are very excited to be doing the goofy nextyear, we have booked a 4 night dream cruise afterwards.
I started the running when I started to loose wt( I lost loads) to help make it go faster, then Leonard started to run and now evn though he is a bit older than me he is way faster.
We live in scotland,have no kids,2 beagles, and I think you can say we are officially old as I celebrated my 40th last week!

Hey now! And people have spent the year telling me not to worry about 40 coming up in July! :eek:

I am in. First Disney 1/2 !
Just started my training 3 weeks ago. 11 months to get up to 13 miles. I think I can, I think I can......

I will be signing up for a few 5K between now and then.
:thumbsup2
Hmmmmm

tough decision.

OK I AM IN GOOFY #7

On a more serious note; and a do what I say, not what I do note.... I went to the Doc about the Achilles and he put me on the do not run list for a few weeks..... He kind of admonished me for running after the injury became severe. The conversation went along the lines of exectly when did the Achilles start to feel severe.... About Mile 8.... Why didn't you stop..... I though about stopping if it got really bad...... You should have stopped sooner..... I have this streak of races Doc........ We went on for a while but the conversation ended after looking and seeing no calcification at the heel insertion point of the Achilles (i.e. no long term injury) and prescribing a cortisone injection along with a 2 week dose of oral treatment.
Ouch, Im sure my friend said she was getting a sugar injection or something in her tendon, might not work but wont do no harm her dr says, hope it settles for you!
I said I was in for the full - but now I might be goofy. My mom is planning on walking the half, so if she does, I figure I might as well go goofy :) And after seeing so many others on here that tackled their first full and goofy at the same time, I'm sure I can do it!
I am posative you can, anything you dream you can do ,right?
It makes me nervous even to type it, but, I am in for the Full

Hey now! And people have spent the year telling me not to worry about 40 coming up in July! :eek:

:hug: Its not that bad I suppose..........................:upsidedow

Hi everybody,Im Lynne and my hubby is Len, so pleased to meet you all, my husband and I run for fun, we have done lots of halfs and 2 fulls, we are very excited to be doing the goofy nextyear, we have booked a 4 night dream cruise afterwards.
I started the running when I started to loose wt( I lost loads) to help make it go faster, then Leonard started to run and now evn though he is a bit older than me he is way faster.
We live in scotland,have no kids,2 beagles, and I think you can say we are officially old as I celebrated my 40th last week!

The unwritten rule is that until one qualifies for a Senior Discount--60yo, one can not be considered old. :lmao: I know because I qualify.

The unwritten rule is that until one qualifies for a Senior Discount--60yo, one can not be considered old. :lmao: I know because I qualify.

While I kinda agree with you, my dads over 60 and I dont think he is old,I think men get old better than women.:laughing::laughing::laughing:
And anyway I just spoke to my 14yo neice and she made me feel like I am ancient, anyhow were getting off topic.....your as old as you feel(or the person you feel they say!)

What does the vn stand for John?
Im a Lynne vn= veterinary nurse.

What training regime do you all follow for last goofy?
Or what are your plans for next year?

But I want to enjoy the full, not limp through it!!:lmao:

Maybe 2013.

YAY for Disney! One of my friends is doing the same thing w/her NYC lottery fee. Finally convinced her to do Disney.

I did the full this year & I'm doing Goofy in 2012!
You can too! :banana:

YAY for Disney! One of my friends is doing the same thing w/her NYC lottery fee. Finally convinced her to do Disney.

I did the full this year & I'm doing Goofy in 2012!
You can too! :banana:

Awesome!! I was going to do Disney, there was no question of that. It's just nice to now know I won't be doing my first and second 2 months apart because I want to enjoy it!

Actually since I'll do NYC in 2012, I don't know about Goofy in 2013...I'll see how I'm doing with recovery and stuff by that point.

Heck...I'm a little anxious about DL on September 4 (5?...whichever the Sunday is) and the W&D October 1. But it'll be fun!

I second this. :lmao: I will be 50 in November and I'm not old yet. I'm running my first full in January 2012 intentionally to prove to myself and others that I'm not old. You are only as old as you feel and I don't feel old!!!!

Count me in for the half, DH for Goofy.

We ran the full in the ice bowl of 2010, and it was one of the best days of my life. I had hoped 2012 would be my second marathon, but due to ongoing trouble with runners' ischemia, doc says I can only shoot for the half. (I know...don't say "only.") So, I'm going to do the best half that I can and enjoy the experience of cheering DH on in the full. I look forward to getting to know you all here on the boards during this upcoming year.

Cheers,
Cari

I second this. :lmao: I will be 50 in November and I'm not old yet. I'm running my first full in January 2012 intentionally to prove to myself and others that I'm not old. You are only as old as you feel and I don't feel old!!!!

My hubby says your as old as the person you feel:thumbsup2
He is a bit older than me.:rolleyes1

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gonna do the full next year! That's it, now it's out there. I did the half this year, my first half and race ever, and LOVED it. I talked to my friend who did the half with me and she's in for the full. We did our first half together and now we'll do our first full together. I have to say I am wicked nervous about doing it but I felt great at the end of the half. My knees bothered me but I have almost a year to work on that, plus now I know about biofreeze, my new BF, hahahaha.

But I want to enjoy the full, not limp through it!!:lmao:

Maybe 2013.

:thumbsup2 I was thinking the same thing.. I ALMOST thought about going goofy... did the 1/2 last month.. doing the full in 2012.. I guess if I WALKED the 1/2 I would be okay with it.. I mean, come on.. its all about the medal anyway right???? :lmao:

SERIOUSLY! I turn 40 in September and I am SO NOT OLD!!! :snooty:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gonna do the full next year! That's it, now it's out there. I did the half this year, my first half and race ever, and LOVED it. I talked to my friend who did the half with me and she's in for the full. We did our first half together and now we'll do our first full together. I have to say I am wicked nervous about doing it but I felt great at the end of the half. My knees bothered me but I have almost a year to work on that, plus now I know about biofreeze, my new BF, hahahaha.

same here! 2011 was my first 1/2 and 2012 will be my first full!! :dance3:

:thumbsup2 I was thinking the same thing.. I ALMOST thought about going goofy... did the 1/2 last month.. doing the full in 2012.. I guess if I WALKED the 1/2 I would be okay with it.. I mean, come on.. its all about the medal anyway right???? :lmao:

SERIOUSLY! I turn 40 in September and I am SO NOT OLD!!! :snooty:

same here! 2011 was my first 1/2 and 2012 will be my first full!! :dance3:

Yeah, one of my running club teammates was all "Come on! Do Goofy with us!" until I said it would be my first (I was figuring I used up all my good karma getting picked in the NYC Half lottery, so the odds of me getting picked in the full were slim to none. Now I've pulled my name because they released the approximate odds based on the lottery entrances so far and they gave us the option to withdraw and get our $11 back.). Then he said "Yeah...ok. I guess..." I've decided to sign up for the full, then see how I do with the DL Half and W&D less than a month apart. IF I feel super after both of those, and there's still space in the half, I *might*. Though I also have to take into account I can probably only take one personal day, and I don't relish the thought of getting in late on Friday night before the half on Saturday morning OR the thought of getting on a plane directly after the full. That's actually probably going to be the biggest factor in me only doing the Full.

As for 40, yeah. I definitely don't *feel* like what I used to think 40 would feel like. I'm not sure what that is, but I don't feel it.

And yep! I'm in the Half Class of 2011 and will be in the Full Class of 2012 - both firsts! :yay:

count me in!! I'm planning on the full, but if I could get my endurance up, I would totally consider doing the Goofy.

I've got my first full coming up in March, and assuming nothing catastrophic happens, I'm seriously considering Goofy in 2012.

Pulling this up from page 2.

I am not 100% sure which race I am doing but I am definatley going to be doing something.

I've got my room booked for the race next year. I'll be staying at BLT 1/3-1/10 and Kidani 1/10-1/12

For those of you trying to decide between your first full or your first Goofy, I combined them this year. Had only run 1 half before January, so my 2nd race was the half before my first full! I raced the half as hard as I could and still had plenty left the next morning. It's all about the training. Since there are 11 months to train, you could do it. Really! :thumbsup2

However, why rush it? If you know you'll be going back in 2013, there's no push. I had to push because it was a once in a lifetime shot for me. Hubby doesn't want to go back for a long time.

I had the best time ever doing the Goofy Challenge. There was something amazing about wearing that medal the next few days. :thumbsup2

Oh, and 40 is not old!!! I didn't run my first race until I turned 40 and I'll be 41 here pretty soon. I'm in the best shape of my life. :thumbsup2

For those of you trying to decide between your first full or your first Goofy, I combined them this year. Had only run 1 half before January, so my 2nd race was the half before my first full! I raced the half as hard as I could and still had plenty left the next morning. It's all about the training. Since there are 11 months to train, you could do it. Really! :thumbsup2

However, why rush it? If you know you'll be going back in 2013, there's no push. I had to push because it was a once in a lifetime shot for me. Hubby doesn't want to go back for a long time.

I had the best time ever doing the Goofy Challenge. There was something amazing about wearing that medal the next few days. :thumbsup2

Oh, and 40 is not old!!! I didn't run my first race until I turned 40 and I'll be 41 here pretty soon. I'm in the best shape of my life. :thumbsup2

I agree, although I joke, but really age really means nothing ,I went through my 20's and 30's at over 280lbs,then I got a life, then I found exercise and my food addiction turned into an exercise addiction when I realised life was passing me by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter