Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

For the lighter side. Good race weekend. PR’d the 10k by a few seconds and managed to get all the photos. :) I was surprised to see that I was 3rd in my age group so that means the fast people don’t do Wine and a Dine. :D

I think what this means is that you're actually fast! Even if I didn't stop for pictures and rode a bike for a mile or two I would still be looking up at third place in my age group. Cheers. :worship:

I never have time to DIS during race weekends, so I'm just catching up. Congrats to all who participated this year!

My weekend began with an ugly case of food poisoning Thurs night, so that was fun. :crazy2: No sleep before hitting I-4 Fri to get to the expo, but I made it, and even got over to EP for a short visit with friends (but no food - ugh!) Managed to eat a little soup and a few bites of grilled cheese before bed Fri, but definitely went into the 10K under-nourished. I'll say this, though: Tailwind to the rescue! I've been using it as my running fuel for months, but it did double duty keeping my blood sugar up when I couldn't really eat this weekend. :thumbsup2 I felt better for the half, but was still lower on energy than normal.

Overall, I thought rD did a great job with the weekend! The revised expo setup was terrific. Really enjoyed the 10K and half courses. Got plenty of pics with characters. LOVED seeing the Adventurers Club folks at the party - KUNGALOOSH! party: My only complaints were that they didn't do the multiple wave starts like they did at Dark Side; corral F was huge and two waves was not enough to spread things out. Also, the lines of porta-potties extending out into the course was a problem.

Back to Dopey training for me, now. W&D was a nice little "break" from training lol!

The gentleman collapsed right in front of me and I can attest to the fact those medical staff were on him in seconds, starting CPR immediately. I watched them work on him for quite a while before they moved him to the ambulance. All I could do was cry and pray.

I haven't seen anything about this (but just started following this thread to catch up, as I'm now considering running next year). What did they change?
I know official merch was moved to Field House it was only my second Disney race so idk what other major changes they had

I haven't seen anything about this (but just started following this thread to catch up, as I'm now considering running next year). What did they change?
All rD merchandise was in one place - the Field House - instead of some in the Field House and some in the J Center. That opened up space in the J Center so the expo could spread out more. FAR more sane and pleasant than previous expos!

All rD merchandise was in one place - the Field House - instead of some in the Field House and some in the J Center. That opened up space in the J Center so the expo could spread out more. FAR more sane and pleasant than previous expos!

Sounds great! Thanks for the quick response.

I know official merch was moved to Field House it was only my second Disney race so idk what other major changes they had

I liked fact that I could grab official stuff, grab bib/prebuy stuff than go shopping, grab shirt. I just felt it ran smoother this way. The spa being at Expo was nice also

I read somewhere that there is a certificate we print a week after the race. Anyone know about this and where to get it?

I have the same problem with salty arms and legs after a race and severe cramping in my calves on long runs. I almost had to drop out of the Disney Marathon this year due to my calves seizing up. I tried multiple things and still had the same issue (saltier diet, salt tablets, etc). Nothing seemed to work until I found Tailwind.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it! I'm going to stock up on products and give them a try over the next few weeks.

DH is a Tailwind ambassador (trailblazer as they are called) and has sweared by it for years! Highly recommend it for the issues @KateP85 was describing!

Yeah for Tailwind! Heard about it on this site (who knew DIS was such an awesome running board?!) and this was the third try with it. The green tea flavor is a hit with us. Best liquid fuel we have found yet! We will never run with anything else.

I was surprised to see that I was 3rd in my age group so that means the fast people don’t do Wine and a Dine.

This! We were super surprised to find ourselves in A/C & B/D. We have never been that far up. We actually enjoyed the humidity too. Being from the desert SW, the temp felt comfortable and the humidity, while it felt like swimming, wasn't overly oppressive. Though, we were wearing one of our lightest costumes ever for this half.

We had lots of fun on this trip. Hearing about the young life lost, and his widow, kind of brings a new perspective to it all. Enjoy it while you can; do it while you can. Who knows when it will all end. So tragic.

Well, I just got back to reality after our W&D race-cation week. I feel like I am in need of an actual vacation now. Haha. I just need to go on the record and say that DL races will forever hold a special place in my heart and I will miss them greatly. This trip was very much go-go-go as we were doing the parks and the races, so my exhaustion level was HIGH.
10k Re-cap:
We went to bed around 12:30am and woke up at 3:00am, because everyone was stressing the "get on the bus before 4am thing". So we did. And we stood around for over an hour before the race started. I was so annoyed. The race itself was okay. I took off from my husband at the start, I was trying to sub:60 this race but the humidity got the best of me all weekend. The first four miles were god-awful boring, which is sad for a race that is only 6 miles long. Once we finally entered a park I remember yelling "only 2 miles to go!". I was pretty much all smiles then, but I was watching my pace and those spots where the course got narrow definitely slowed me down. I finished with a smile and waited for my husband at the end. The course was so much worse than any DL 10k I have ever ran. I was super disappointed. But I PR'd my time by a minute, so I guess that is good.
Half Marathon Re-cap:
I did not want to run this race at all. I was exhausted and my legs hurt and (insert all other excuses). But at least I got about 6 hours of sleep the night before this time. I still woke up early and got to the start too early, but it sucked even more because I was running without my husband so I had no one to talk to. The lines for the potra-potties were insane at the start. But I stood in line anyway just to kill time. It didn't help though because I had to stop at the porta-potties right before mile 2 and at that point I had given up on the whole race. PR was out of the window so I ran pretty slow the rest of the time. Again with the most god-awful boring race course, I calculated we did probably a 5k inside parks and that's it. I am not usually one to stop and take character pictures, but since my time was crap anyway, I stopped for 3 photos, which helped my legs a bit. My saving grace was that I found someone handing out beer and i was the happiest camper. My best miles were from 6-9. In the end, I can say I finished, I got my Coast to Coast, I cried, I smiled, I jumped. But I am uncertain I will come back to do another WDW race. To each their own, but my opinion is that DL races blow WDW races out of the water.

I hope everyone else had an amazing race weekend.
My heart hurts for the family of the young man who died.
And I finally nailed a good race jump picture.
23231183_10156789006761040_2212744443328378160_n.jpg

Again with the most god-awful boring race course, I calculated we did probably a 5k inside parks and that's it.

But I am uncertain I will come back to do another WDW race. To each their own, but my opinion is that DL races blow WDW races out of the water.

Interesting. I'm not sure how they could do much better, outside of an early loop through the MK and at the expense of cutting out AK... In any event I just looked at the race map for the Superhero Half in DL this weekend and it looks like there is less than 5K inside the two parks for that one as well. Have their other races been different/had more inside the park time? It looks like the Super Hero Half front end loads the in-park portion. That may make it less boring because you don't have such a long wait to get to the truly "scenic" portions of the race, but the last 10 miles of Super Hero are all outside the park even if it does also run through the Angel's baseball stadium (which is admittedly cool). That seems more boring/anti-climactic. I got the sense that there are many folks who greatly prefer the parks to be at the end of the race because it gives them a chance to run through the parks while they are open, and maybe even sneak onto a ride or two if they can stay ahead of being swept.

In any event I thought the W&D half marathon course was really nice. It was interesting running though the high security back stage areas at Animal Kingdom (and running through Pandora was cool). I also liked that the half course took you down a pretty secluded tree-lined road from miles 2-4 (yes, even though it went by the sewage treatment plant). The whole course was way more scenic than running in the streets in my suburban neighborhood. That's for sure!

By the way, great picture!

Interesting. I'm not sure how they could do much better, outside of an early loop through the MK and at the expense of cutting out AK... In any event I just looked at the race map for the Superhero Half in DL this weekend and it looks like there is less than 5K inside the two parks for that one as well. Have their other races been different/had more inside the park time? It looks like the Super Hero Half front end loads the in-park portion. That may make it less boring because you don't have such a long wait to get to the truly "scenic" portions of the race, but the last 10 miles of Super Hero are all outside the park even if it does also run through the Angel's baseball stadium (which is admittedly cool). That seems more boring/anti-climactic. I got the sense that there are many folks who greatly prefer the parks to be at the end of the race because it gives them a chance to run through the parks while they are open, and maybe even sneak onto a ride or two if they can stay ahead of being swept.

In any event I thought the W&D half marathon course was really nice. It was interesting running though the high security back stage areas at Animal Kingdom (and running through Pandora was cool). I also liked that the half course took you down a pretty secluded tree-lined road from miles 2-4 (yes, even though it went by the sewage treatment plant). The whole course was way more scenic than running in the streets in my suburban neighborhood. That's for sure!

By the way, great picture!
The main difference to me between running DL vs WDW is the scenery. The W&D Half we ran through an empty parking lot for over a mile, we ran down desolate streets and free ways, and yeah that sewer plant, yuck. Sure, the forest/trees were nice, but still just so boring for me when I am paying $$$ for this race. In Anaheim, you get neighborhoods and people (SO MANY PEOPLE). You get crowds cheering you on the whole way, and I must admit I need that more than anything sometimes. Plus, I ran through Angel's stadium once a few years ago for a DLHM and since I am a baseball fan I LOVED it. In every DL race I have done you ran through the parks at the end anyway. And I didn't realize that stopping to ride a ride during a race was even a thing until this year. That's nuts. Haha. Anyway, to each their own. I am glad to say I did it, but I'll just cross my fingers they bring back DL races.

Well, I just got back to reality after our W&D race-cation week. I feel like I am in need of an actual vacation now. Haha. I just need to go on the record and say that DL races will forever hold a special place in my heart and I will miss them greatly. This trip was very much go-go-go as we were doing the parks and the races, so my exhaustion level was HIGH.
10k Re-cap:
We went to bed around 12:30am and woke up at 3:00am, because everyone was stressing the "get on the bus before 4am thing". So we did. And we stood around for over an hour before the race started. I was so annoyed. The race itself was okay. I took off from my husband at the start, I was trying to sub:60 this race but the humidity got the best of me all weekend. The first four miles were god-awful boring, which is sad for a race that is only 6 miles long. Once we finally entered a park I remember yelling "only 2 miles to go!". I was pretty much all smiles then, but I was watching my pace and those spots where the course got narrow definitely slowed me down. I finished with a smile and waited for my husband at the end. The course was so much worse than any DL 10k I have ever ran. I was super disappointed. But I PR'd my time by a minute, so I guess that is good.
Half Marathon Re-cap:
I did not want to run this race at all. I was exhausted and my legs hurt and (insert all other excuses). But at least I got about 6 hours of sleep the night before this time. I still woke up early and got to the start too early, but it sucked even more because I was running without my husband so I had no one to talk to. The lines for the potra-potties were insane at the start. But I stood in line anyway just to kill time. It didn't help though because I had to stop at the porta-potties right before mile 2 and at that point I had given up on the whole race. PR was out of the window so I ran pretty slow the rest of the time. Again with the most god-awful boring race course, I calculated we did probably a 5k inside parks and that's it. I am not usually one to stop and take character pictures, but since my time was crap anyway, I stopped for 3 photos, which helped my legs a bit. My saving grace was that I found someone handing out beer and i was the happiest camper. My best miles were from 6-9. In the end, I can say I finished, I got my Coast to Coast, I cried, I smiled, I jumped. But I am uncertain I will come back to do another WDW race. To each their own, but my opinion is that DL races blow WDW races out of the water.

View attachment 282528

Great picture for starters! :)

I think DL has the advantage on WDW for the 10k simply because everything is so close together. There is just no getting around needing to have highway miles for a WDW race due to the size of the overall resort. For the half marathons, neither really has an advantage to me. For DL your in the park for at the beginning and then that's it until some backstage roads at the end. So lot of road miles just like WDW. WDW has better park time to me because it's spread out and I don't think you can beat finishing through World Showcase. You do maybe get some better crowds at DL but you get character stops at WDW if that's your thing. So I can definitely both sides of the "arguments" for races at both parks. I hope they bring the DL races back too - primarily bc it's an excellent excuse for me to go there. :)

10k Re-cap:
Half Marathon Re-cap:

View attachment 282528
first super cute photos!! Congrats!!!
Second, I couldnt agree more about WDW courses vs DL courses. I have always ran WDW and have had 2 opportunities to fly out to CA for DL races. I LOVE THE RACES THERE!!! I didnt get to do these races due to a child illness (which I now have) but was excited for a change up of courses since I always do the Jan and Feb races.... sounds like the course changed but the road exposure didnt! I get why there is so much road and I get they really do put effort in trying to make the road sections still engaging with characters and jumbo-trons but it is truly not a DL experience. I do love disney and am so sad I missed these races BUT I do wish they could help with more park exposure, not sure if that is even possible bc of the distances between the parks but still.... a girl can hope since I am an east coaster and west coast is on "hiatus"

Arrived at our hotel on Thursday and was at a walk in clinic a few hours later. Severe sinus, throat, and ear infections. It was awful. Got some antibiotics and a shot of prednisone and tried to rest.
By Friday night I was no better so I tearfully made the decision to skip the 10k although it was the last piece of my bucket list (do a race at all 4 wdw in one year before i turn 40 next week). I had even postponed ankle fusion surgery so i could make the dream a reality. Yay for bi-monthly cortisone injections.

Well long story a little longer, husband wakes me up at midnight as he now has food poisoning. He lets me know through the bathroom doors that if I go I'm going without him. Now I know I can't go because that means I would be alone and have to do everything by myself.

3:30am comes and I drag my tired sick self out of bed and get ready and I WENT.
Not only did I do it I beat my pr by, wait for it...............

18 minutes and 17 seconds

Turns out my family that did the races with me were slowing me down.
Take that 40! Suck on it triple infections!
Bite me jacked up ankles!
I DID IT!

Just caught up the thread since before I left. First of all, I had a great race. A little slower than I thought but I stopped to take two pictures. As for the 10k, it was a little boring to start but not boring for me... At one point I dropped my ID and thank god the woman behind me saw me drop it because I was able to turn around and find it (in the dark!) Other than the slight panic, I had a great time. I got some great photopass photos. My friends crushed it on the 1/2! It was so much fun cheering them on. We also had a fantastic time at the after party! We ate a ton, road all the rides and danced a ton. Stayed until about 12. Overall, I had a fantastic race weekend and I'm looking forward to the Princess half!

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 29

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter