Other Options...

I'm going on my own in June. I can let you know how it goes when we get back. I researched all the parks in excruciating detail and made the decision about where I wanted to go. Then I had to work that in with my travel from Amsterdam (which flight would work best).

I am staying at 2 Singita lodges (Ebony and Lebombo). From Ebony we are flying via Nelspruit to Cape Town for 4 days. There we have 4 nights and 3 days -- 2 of the days we have private guides booked (one day wine country and the other a coastal tour) and the the third day I booked a private walk with cheetah cubs at a cheetah rescue sanctuary just outside of Cape Town. Then we will tour some of the markets.

From Cape Town we are flying to Livingstone via Jo'Burg to see Victoria Falls. We will stay at the Tongabezi Lodge for 3 nights. During our time there we will take a helicopter flight over the falls, go on a Zambezi River Cruise and experience an authentic BOMA dinner.

I am so happy that I booked on our own. We will be coming from the ABD Rhine River Cruise and that is enough time with a group for me. My teenage daughter is not excited that we won't be with other families in S. Africa but I really, really wanted to experience Kruger NP. Plus Singita is supposed to be quite luxurious and that really appealed to me. Also Victoria Falls is a must for me -- if I'm going all the way to S. Africa then I'm going to make the effort to get to Zambia to see the falls.

Singita has some excellent promos if you travel in off season. We got 1 night free (stay 7 nights and pay for 6) and our internal flight between the 2 lodges was free as well. Also since my daughter is under 16 she was half price. So that made it more affordable for us. Singita is located in the highly-regarded Sabi Sands game reserve and I believe has the largest traversing rights in Kruger. If not the largest, then right up there.

Our trip is costing significantly more than ABD, but some of that is attributed to our extra time in Livingstone. I just as easily could've booked a tour that was half the cost of ABD. It just depends on your travel preferences and budget.

The agent at Singita ended up booking everything for us, including Cape Town and Livingstone and all of our internal flights. She is excellent.

Planning the trip was exhausting as I researched for a very long time to get everything just right. My current plan is to go to Tanzania in June, 2018 and we will do a private tour. I definitely want to see the great migration and the only way to be guaranteed that is to book a stay with a mobile camp. The mobile lodges are too small to accommodate tour groups. But my plans are fluid until I have paid a deposit!

Good luck with your planning!

Singita is 3000 a night. I am still really 'sick' about even considering such an option. Been to Four Seasons George V and London and even with Virutsio I am not sure if it would be worth it. It will be quite a while before I can pick such a scary option. Even if we have the money. Even when agents rave about it. My parents have banned me from travelling alone so they pay not sure why

Last edited:
If you want to talk to a high-end tour director, our group used Kerr and Downey. We originally contacted the office in Houston (I think; it was a long time ago), but there is also an office in Cape Town. They do an incredible job.

I think it is their loss that they don't allow singles, especially if as Calfan says a single wouldn't be uncomfortable. We've actually seen the opposite side as we've researched trips over the years. There seems to be many more companies that don't allow children. Many will coordinate a private trip, but it gets expensive. I've never really considered it to be discriminatory against people with children, just more what their target market is.

I am in NO WAY implying anything about single travelers, especially those here. But do you think Thomson's policy is a misguided attempt to prevent pedophiles from attaching themselves to tours that cater to families with kids? Kind of a "why would anyone want to go on a family trip that doesn't have family? There must be something wrong with them?"

It's not like a banning singles makes any sort of sense, even monetarily. Again, not implying anything. I've met delightful single travelers over the years. In fact, I'm a bit in awe over them. I'm so used to traveling in a crowd (we are a travel family of 8) the thought of going anywhere by myself makes me nervous.

Just my 2 cents as someone who travelled a lot on my own in my 20's and 30's, at the age that I am now, if I was single I would definitely want to travel with families. On adult only trips I would be concerned about being the only one without a partner or being hit on by single men.

I'm 37 Elin, and feel the same way. If I'm on a tour, I want safety, and comfort.

Aggiedog- I suspect you may have a point about why they do this, but it's still ridiculous of them.

I am in NO WAY implying anything about single travelers, especially those here. But do you think Thomson's policy is a misguided attempt to prevent pedophiles from attaching themselves to tours that cater to families with kids? Kind of a "why would anyone want to go on a family trip that doesn't have family? There must be something wrong with them?"

It's not like a banning singles makes any sort of sense, even monetarily. Again, not implying anything. I've met delightful single travelers over the years. In fact, I'm a bit in awe over them. I'm so used to traveling in a crowd (we are a travel family of 8) the thought of going anywhere by myself makes me nervous.
I suppose that's a possibility. But you don't think that constitutes discrimination against singles to make such an assumption? "Kind of a "why would anyone want to go on a family trip that doesn't have family? There must be something wrong with them?"" I find even the idea of that truly appalling. ETA: I have to add here how much this bothers me. I know it wasn't your intention, but the presupposition here that pedophiles are single people, and don't have families and kids of their own is highly prejudicial, and honestly, incorrect.

Just my 2 cents as someone who travelled a lot on my own in my 20's and 30's, at the age that I am now, if I was single I would definitely want to travel with families. On adult only trips I would be concerned about being the only one without a partner or being hit on by single men.
Actually, I adore Adults only trips, because it allows the adults the freedom to *act* like children, without having to worry about how it would look to their kids, or the necessity to be an adult for their kids. I've been the only single on a trip; I've been one of a few singles. I've never felt like the single guys were hitting on me. But then, I've only done adult only trips with 2 companies, Backroads & ABD. Maybe it would be worse with other companies; I really can't say. But that's never been a concern for me either way. It's not like taking a "singles cruise" or something. I've always felt totally included by the folks on my trips, both Adult Only and family. How much of that is ABD and how much of it is me, I couldn't say.

I'm 37 Elin, and feel the same way. If I'm on a tour, I want safety, and comfort.

Aggiedog- I suspect you may have a point about why they do this, but it's still ridiculous of them.
I want safety and comfort, and I've found that on both Adult Only *and* family ABD's.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Honestly, it is completely ridiculous. If they inform you that there are mostly families as an 'FYI' them you know and can make that decision. Same goes for a trip that has an older demographic (Tauck, for example). If they are so worried about guests possibly being put off because they weren't 'aware' of the itinerary, then they could always have you sign an agreement stating you understand it is a more family focused trip and some of the itinerary may focus on children. If that is okay with you (the person paying the $$), why should it matter?

Honestly, if DISNEY is okay with single, solo travelers, why in Earth wouldn't other tour groups???

Honestly, it is completely ridiculous. If they inform you that there are mostly families as an 'FYI' them you know and can make that decision. Same goes for a trip that has an older demographic (Tauck, for example). If they are so worried about guests possibly being put off because they weren't 'aware' of the itinerary, then they could always have you sign an agreement stating you understand it is a more family focused trip and some of the itinerary may focus on children. If that is okay with you (the person paying the $$), why should it matter?

Honestly, if DISNEY is okay with single, solo travelers, why in Earth wouldn't other tour groups???
I totally agree with this! I knew what I was signing up for when I booked my first ABD, and have known for each one since. If I'm OK with the itinerary, why shouldn't they be OK with me doing it? If they have had problems with people not expecting what the trip was, they need to spend more time explaining it to them, not barring people from taking them.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Sayhello, I completely understand. Marginally related - a very good, guy friend of mine mentored a middle school boy for awhile. Until the father corned him and asked him if he was a pedophile. My friend was appalled, hurt, and was actually crying to me. He could understand from the father's point of view, but he was still appalled anyone could think that of him. No accusations from the kid, no actual accusations from the father. The father just couldn't understand why any 20 year old man would be interested in mentoring a young boy.

So, I'm not agreeing with the policy, even if that is the reason (which I am sure they would never admit to.) I also agree that no travel agency should decide what you will or won't like (age, singles, family, adult only, etc.) It's a bit Big Brother to tell you "this trip isn't your cup of tea."

We just booked a winter trip to Yellowstone with Austin Adventures. It will be our first trip with them, but I was very impressed with what I heard in a webinar they put on recently regarding their National Parks trips. And our departure is guaranteed with just our four booked! Their itinerary is very similar to ABD's Winter in Wyoming trip, but the Austin Adventures trip is a day longer, and the trip appears to be a little more active.

We just booked a winter trip to Yellowstone with Austin Adventures. It will be our first trip with them, but I was very impressed with what I heard in a webinar they put on recently regarding their National Parks trips. And our departure is guaranteed with just our four booked! Their itinerary is very similar to ABD's Winter in Wyoming trip, but the Austin Adventures trip is a day longer, and the trip appears to be a little more active.
Calfan,

We are booked with them for Scotland Summer 2018! Please let me know what you think. I am really interested in the South Dakota trip and their Galapogas Island hopping. I am interested in your experience in the Grand Canyon. And yes, they guarantee at 4 which is great!

Calfan,

We are booked with them for Scotland Summer 2018! Please let me know what you think. I am really interested in the South Dakota trip and their Galapogas Island hopping. I am interested in your experience in the Grand Canyon. And yes, they guarantee at 4 which is great!

Will definitely let you know what we think. We are going late Dec. to early Jan. You are going to love Scotland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter