• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that they were literally stuck in their rooms. At least, if you have a verandah, its a change of scenery. Its making me re-think my inside room preference (because of the lower price).

Per the BBC those in inside cabins are allowed up on the top deck for 90 minutes a day under medical supervision.

Something that wasn't clear to me in the news reports - are those people confined to staterooms for the entirety of the quarantine? Or just until they finish testing all passengers? We are boarding the Wonder in 8 days and while I'm not considering cancelling our trip, I have to consider the possibility of someone asymptomatic boarding the ship and then coming down with symptoms, are we looking at being confined to an Inside stateroom, off the coast of Cozumel or something, for 14 days with a 5 year-old?

I'll be on it. Look, I wouldn't go on a cruise in Asia right now but I'm not about to not go out of New Orleans. This is also pure speculation but I suspect the number of international travelers on this sailing is pretty low. Maybe someone has other insight on that.

With that being said, the dirtiest part of the trip will be the flight. Always has been, always will be.

Yes, and flights from China are still being allowed into the country. They are allowed at the airport in Atlanta, where we live. They showed a story on the local news where they are checking everyone on those planes for fever and then letting them go on about their business.

If they are contagious before showing symptoms or having a fever, they could be spreading the disease in the US.

Delta will run one more non-stop from Shanghai to Atlanta and it leaves very soon. They haven't ran the flight since last week. They along with United and American have cancelled everything else for the next several weeks.

There are millions of people that transit through Atlanta every year. You have no idea where they've been before their current flight. Wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands.

Delta will run one more non-stop from Shanghai to Atlanta and it leaves very soon. They haven't ran the flight since last week. They along with United and American have cancelled everything else for the next several weeks.

There are millions of people that transit through Atlanta every year. You have no idea where they've been before their current flight. Wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands.
and use alcohol based hand sani BEFORE your trip to the buffet and AFTER you get your food. People are nasty.

and use alcohol based hand sani BEFORE your trip to the buffet and AFTER you get your food. People are nasty.

There's always that one guy that takes a massive dump, walks out of the stall, and heads straight to the door leaving everyone else at the sinks to begin the world's longest hand wash until someone else opens the door for you.

There's always that one guy that takes a massive dump, walks out of the stall, and heads straight to the door leaving everyone else at the sinks to begin the world's longest hand wash until someone else opens the door for you.
Its funny because its true.
I also love the people who sprinkle water on their fingers like its really getting those hands clean. Don’t worry about those thumbs or soap or anything.

This is why I always take TP out with me and use that to open the door. I never touch bathroom doors

Last edited:
Toilet paper.

Luckily there is also good news, there was a dip in the new cases in China, which we don't read into too much, but every bit of good news helps ;)

Also interesting is this article from JAMA that most people who get Coronavirus are between 49-56 and that kids seem to be spared. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/health/coronavirus-children.html
Instead I'm really concerned about the situation in Singapore. They discovered 3 new cases (brining the total to 33) that had been staying in hospital with pneumonia and hadn't been tested! Who knows how many they infected there, but most importantly who knows how many patients they have with pneumonia that actually have coronavirus and haven't been tested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200207_110300_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200207_110300_com.android.chrome.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
So if it makes everyone feel better I was texting back-and-forth with a colleague of mine that is an ex pat right now in Shanghai with his family. I asked if he was going to try and get out and head back and he said no. He commented that they were just washing their hands a lot and that people outside of China are making a bigger deal of it in the Chinese People themselves. So I would assume the feeling within China is not the end of the world is coming

Thanks for that. Now I am grossed out using public TP. Maybe I should start carrying my own lol.

If you are washing your hands right after using the toilet, no big deal.

But using that to open the door really doesn’t help. Use a paper towel.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-new-jersey/index.html
Royal Caribbean ship porting in New Jersey is being held to test passengers because there are people on the ship who have been to China recently. If people would just tell the truth you wouldn't screw over other people. It is only a matter of time before lawyers get involved if people find out passengers boarded knowing that they should not be boarding.

UPDATE:

11 Americans aboard cruise ship in Japan among those infected with new coronavirus
by Morgan Winsor

Eleven Americans are among the dozens of people aboard a cruise ship moored in Japan who have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, officials said.

Since arriving at the Japanese port of Yokohama on Monday, the Diamond Princess has been quarantined at sea while all passengers and crew undergo health screenings. At least 61 people have tested positive for the newly identified coronavirus. The patients, who include elderly people and foreign nationals, were taken ashore to a hospital in the coastal prefecture of Kanagawa, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

A spokesperson for Princess Cruises, which operates the ship, told ABC News that those infected include 28 Japanese nationals, 11 Americans, seven Australians, seven Canadians, three people from Hong Kong, one person from Argentina, one from the Philippines, one from Taiwan, one from the United Kingdom and one person from New Zealand.

The Japanese government has mandated the Diamond Princess and all those still on board to remain under quarantine at sea until Feb. 19.

"The Japanese government is also providing our ship and team members additional manpower support," a spokesperson for Princess Cruises said in a statement Thursday night. "During the remainder of the time onboard, guests will continue to be provided complimentary internet and telephone service to stay in contact with their family and loved ones. In addition, we have added additional live TV channels and a large selection of in-room movies available in multiple languages. The cruise activities staff is packaging games, puzzles and trivia and delivering them to guest staterooms."

There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members aboard the Diamond Princess. Approximately half are from Japan, with more than 400 passengers from the United States, according to the cruise line spokesperson.

The first cases of the new coronavirus were detected back in December in the central Chinese city of Wuhan. Since then, 28,060 people in China have been infected with the disease and 564 of them have died. An additional 216 people in two dozen other countries and territories have also been infected, and one patient in the Philippines has died, according to the latest data from World Health Organization, the global health arm of the United Nations.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a global health emergency.

In the United States, 12 confirmed coronavirus cases have been reported in Wisconsin, California, Washington, Arizona, Massachusetts and Illinois. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has shipped newly approved coronavirus tests to labs across the country so states can begin their own diagnostic testing instead of shipping all samples to CDC headquarters in Atlanta.

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...-japan-infected-coronavirus/story?id=68819290

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter