Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
That's what I'd assume, since there is no mention of point rentals -- and Disney doesn't have much reason to incentivize that.

Before I gave up my DVC a few years ago when times got tough I let a friend us my points at Disneyland and they were treated the same as I was with not having to pay for parking as my guest. I would hope Disney World would be the same.

Official info straight from a Disney CM for Guests with Disability Parking Placards:

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

• Guest Services: 407-939-5277
  • Disability Services: 407-560-2547 Disability.services@disneyparks.com
  • Dining Reservations: 407-939-3463 (407-WDW-DINE)
  • Cancel Dining Reservations: 407-939-2625 (407-WDW-CNCL)
  • Harmony Barber Shop: (407) 939-7529 (407-WDW-PLAY)
  • Tour Reservations: 407-939-8687 (407-WDW-TOUR)
  • Internet Tech Support: 407-939-7765, Option 2
  • My Disney Experience technical support 407-939-4357
  • Merchandise Guest Services team by telephone at 877-560-6477 or by email at Merchandise.Guest.Services@DisneyParks.com
  • Disney Movies Anywhere tech support: (855) 347-3722
Disney Corporate Phone Number
(818) 560-1000

Robert Iger
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Bob Chapek
Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Robert.Chapek@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations in United States and France
818-560-7401
meg.crofton@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

I dont think i'll get a response, but i emailed everyone of them, including disney guest relations.

Before I gave up my DVC a few years ago when times got tough I let a friend us my points at Disneyland and they were treated the same as I was with not having to pay for parking as my guest. I would hope Disney World would be the same.
Doesn't sound like it based on their language now, though... really emphasizes
"Members"... : https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.​

But who knows?! :)

Disney doesn’t operate that service. The company that runs it licenses Disney’s name.
What difference does that make?

Example:
They now charge for parking at WDW. Does a different company operate the parking lot? Do they license Disney's name?

Disney owns and operates (presumably) the parking lot. Disney charges for the service. They can surely do the same for ME.

I suppose. We don't take a car at Disney so this really doesn't affect me much.
It doesn't affect me AT ALL. We're DVC.

But I like that Disney is at least charging less to those in Value category, especially. For those to whom this additional marginal charge might most make a difference in their decision to vacation in WDW.

I think DVC members are, by definition, "big spenders." And I say that as someone who is currently in the process of buying DVC. By doing so, we are committing to years of WDW visits and thousands of dollars spent onsite with each visit. And the money we'll save over regular resort stays will make us a little more likely to splurge on some upcharge events that we haven't been willing to pay for in the past.

"Once in a lifetime" guests are also inclined to spend big, or at least to splurge on a few upcharges. Parking fees are not likely to be a deterrent to them, nor are the reduced EMH hours or the number of upcharges that WDW has added over the past few years for things that used to be free (like adding MK fireworks dessert parties in place of FP+ for fireworks).

DVC is apparently more profitable than the regular resort hotels, judging by a number of factors (including resort construction). So it makes fiscal sense for them to push returning visitors toward DVC. It just seems that the guests getting squeezed are those in between - the return visitors who aren't willing or able to buy into DVC. And that's a shame - I'd much prefer Disney to cater to as many guests as possible, and to return to the "good old days" when WDW vacations were merely expensive, not exorbitant. I don't mind that there are upcharges for those willing and able to pay for them, but those shouldn't exist at the expense of "regular" guests.

Agreed, just interesting some DVC members think they are getting squeezed out.

It doesn't affect me AT ALL. We're DVC.

But I like that Disney is at least charging less to those in Value category, especially. For those to whom this additional marginal charge might most make a difference in their decision to vacation in WDW.
I could see the argument if I was paying to stay at a deluxe. Why should deluxe pay more than value when parking isn't a premium and its the same asphalt.

Agreed, just interesting some DVC members think they are getting squeezed out.
As DVC since 2006, I don't get that thinking at all, personally. "Perks" shift over time, but on net, it is still a great deal for us. I don't feel 'squeezed out' in the least.

Why so surprising? Makes sense to me. They shift more cost of parking toward those who ostensibly can more easily afford it. Even with that, it is a regressive charge: https://www.disboards.com/threads/paid-parking-coming-to-wdw-resorts.3670025/page-20#post-58942162

Plus, it's not like anyone is heading over to park their car for the day at All Star Music. The deluxe resorts at the places with the amenities and shopping opportunities people will actually visit for so they have more issues with parking.

I could see the argument if I was paying to stay at a deluxe. Why should deluxe pay more than value when parking isn't a premium and its the same asphalt.
Sounds like a great argument for a flat income tax system... ... ... :rolleyes1

I'm sorry I did not read all posts.
Can anyone recommend which email adress I use best to complain?
Calling is not an option I'm from germany.

(this is our first time staying onsite. We always have a car. Disney is only a part of a longer Florida vacation. DH thinks offsite is a better deal for us. Free parking was one point, that made onsite a bit more interesting.)

Plus, it's not like anyone is heading over to park their car for the day at All Star Music. The deluxe resorts at the places with the amenities and shopping opportunities people will actually visit for so they have more issues with parking.
Yes -- agreed!! The DEMAND issue I mentioned a million pages ago. :thumbsup2

I understand the simplicity of your idea, but this would end up being an overcharge for my family. We like to try restaurants at different hotels (AKL, FW, etc.) and the car is much more of an advantage over the internal Disney transportation, as buses don't go resort-to-resort. And with a lot of young children (I have 3 under 5 years old), it sometimes helps to drive to the park (mainly HS or AK b/c you can park right there) as opposed to trying to juggle multiple strollers on the bus. Totally get the spirit of your idea though.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I see the problem with the scenario you're describing and hadn't considered that.

I suspect recent expanded transportation options (the gondolas, minnie vans) are part of a bigger WDW transportation strategy to make their transit system more desirable, and private vehicles less desirable, for getting around. In some respects WDW now faces similar transportation issues to large cities, and will have to continue to look for ways to move more people more efficiently. Whenever cities tackle this challenge, free parking is always the first to go!

When you're running a business you aren't worried if a new revenue stream is going to make people mad, only if it will drive them away. That's not likely in this case. As for justifiable reasons, I can think of one, but I have no idea if it what WDW is thinking. There are a lot of complaints about the WDW bus system. So people choose to rent cars, park for free and drive themselves around the resort. This adds to the traffic, making the bus system even less efficient. So maybe if they discourage people from bringing cars, it will improve traffic and the WDW transportation system. I know some previous posters stated that they are helping the transportation system by bringing their own car and driving themselves, but I am not sure it actually helps having more cars driving around on property. Less traffic means buses can get to and from their destinations quicker and carry more passengers in the same amount of time. Just speculation on my part.
I think it's making people mad AND starting to drive people away. Not from Disney as a whole, but from on-site hotels. I think people are seriously starting to consider off-site now. I definitely am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter