Paid parking is coming to WDW resorts March 2018

Will the new resort parking fees impact your travel (planned or future)?

• Not at all

Votes: 234 28.6%
  • I might consider staying off site

Votes: 245 30.0%
  • I will keep my currently booked trip, but will not stay on site after that

Votes: 161 19.7%
  • I will cancel my booked trip and stay off site instead

Votes: 37 4.5%
  • I will not be returning to Disney parks in the foreseeable future

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 61 7.5%

• Total voters
I really can't see how they cannot do some kind of validation with minimum purchase or likewise. If not, the hotel lots will immediately fill up with theme park visitors. In addition, who's to say I'm a resort guest and just tell them on my way in that I'm not and just here to look around and shop. Is Disney going to start roving guards and towing people who park overnight without the dashboard passes? Can you imagine the confrontations in the lobby!? "Sir, yes we did tow your car, you did not display the proper overnight parking pass. We're sorry you and your family will miss your flight home, here's some free FastPasses to make up for it."

Agreed.

right, but at Cabana Bay you don't get 60 days to book FP for the new Star Wars attractions that if you don't have a FP for you will be waiting 18 hours to ride
Just used that as an example. But I could stay at an off-site Disney Springs hotel that offers 60-days, that is also better quality. I just think they should up the quality of the resorts before charging parking. Because there are lots of other off-site options that are starting to provide the same perks as on-site.

Can I stay at Pop but leave my car overnight at Art of Animation thus park for free? Just tell the guard at AoA that I'm checking out the restaurant or something. I'm not asking about the ethics/morals of doing this (of course it's wrong), but who's to know if they do not use some kind of window sticker and then patrol at night.

Guess it depends how they implement it - might give you a "parking pass" you need to display if parking overnight and if you don't have one they tow your car or put a boot on it or something

See that's why this frustrates me...you wanna charge me parking to stay at the Values, which are essentially Motel 6 quality? I could stay at Cabana Bay, which is way better quality, for around the same amount. I agree, no contest.

This is another factor that doesn't make sense. As a Passholder who gets free parking at the park, why would this NOT drive (pun intended) me off-property? When given the choice between paying ~$100-150 a night + $0 parking to stay at the Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn down the road, or $150-200 + an additional $13 a night for parking at a Value resort, I know what I'm choosing. Plus the Hampton Inn gives me FREE breakfast...

@rteetz I find it interesting that they are tiering the pricing based on Value, Moderate, Deluxe. Haven't I been reading for awhile now that Disney is planning to phase out these classifications? Seems strange to introduce a new fee based on these categories only to have to change it again in a few months.

Just used that as an example. But I could stay at an off-site Disney Springs hotel that offers 60-days, that is also better quality. I just think they should up the quality of the resorts before charging parking. Because there are lots of other off-site options that are starting to provide the same perks as on-site.

oh agreed with that and I think this will push more people off property ... I just think Disney is ok with that as they don't see any challenges with filling the hotels and they know demand will only increase when Star Wars: GE opens

By the way, I think this confirms they don't watch this board to see reaction to the "floated" idea.

Unless

A) One day is enough

B) Doing it regardless

Just e-mailed my complaint to Disney. I hope they receive A LOT. Not that it will probably make a difference, but at least my opinions/points were made.

• Guest Services: 407-939-5277
  • Disability Services: 407-560-2547 Disability.services@disneyparks.com
  • Dining Reservations: 407-939-3463 (407-WDW-DINE)
  • Cancel Dining Reservations: 407-939-2625 (407-WDW-CNCL)
  • Harmony Barber Shop: (407) 939-7529 (407-WDW-PLAY)
  • Tour Reservations: 407-939-8687 (407-WDW-TOUR)
  • Internet Tech Support: 407-939-7765, Option 2
  • My Disney Experience technical support 407-939-4357
  • Merchandise Guest Services team by telephone at 877-560-6477 or by email at Merchandise.Guest.Services@DisneyParks.com
  • Disney Movies Anywhere tech support: (855) 347-3722
Disney Corporate Phone Number
(818) 560-1000

Robert Iger
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Bob Chapek
Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Robert.Chapek@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations in United States and France
818-560-7401
meg.crofton@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

I just voiced my displeasure and told them that this move cost them 4 annual passes and 3 onsite stays from June 2018 to June 2019

This is another factor that doesn't make sense. As a Passholder who gets free parking at the park, why would this NOT drive (pun intended) me off-property? When given the choice between paying ~$100-150 a night + $0 parking to stay at the Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn down the road, or $150-200 + an additional $13 a night for parking at a Value resort, I know what I'm choosing. Plus the Hampton Inn gives me FREE breakfast...

Plus with the AP you can't book FP+ until 30 days prior, is that correct? I was thinking about getting one but also was thinking about buying DVC

It's definitely worded as parking and for bringing a car,etc. .... I think if they wanted to charge everyone they would have done the whole "resort fee" rather than a parking fee

Plus I think the idea is to reward you for not bringing a car so they don't want to charge people who don't have a car

Thank you. I did see it was worded that way but it also didn't specifically say they would not charge it if you didn't bring a car which to me says they have left that option open for themselves in the future. But then I may just be getting cynical.

@rteetz I find it interesting that they are tiering the pricing based on Value, Moderate, Deluxe. Haven't I been reading for awhile now that Disney is planning to phase out these classifications? Seems strange to introduce a new fee based on these categories only to have to change it again in a few months.
Not sure if that is still true. I also found it interesting they went with a tiered pricing.

Totally agree. There are so many options for nicer hotels with no fees or cheaper rates.

One of the justifications I saw posted was "they charge for parking at Disneyland..."

Something else they charge for at Disneyland: The Disneyland Resort Express.

That's the bus that takes you between the airport and your hotel.

This new charge leaves no doubt in my mind that the Magical Express will eventually be on the list of up-charges.

You could say Disney won't charge for ME because they benefit from it by using it to keep people locked into the property, but this new parking charge is going to keep people from even getting on the property - or at least staying fewer days on property.

Just canceled one of my two reservations and will be staying offsite. The other is grandfathered in, but I'll happily cancel it, too, if I find something better offsite. Officially DONE with the money grab. I'm really looking forward to more Butterbeer in my life. :)

Sounds like all current reservations are grandfathered in. Its reservations made on march 21 st,2018 and thereafter.

They use the advantage of being a government entity to save money, and now they're acting like a government entity. No regard for their customers

I just saw I had a Notification on my DVC Website...

Walt Disney World Resort hotel parking

Effective for reservations made on March 21, 2018 and thereafter, Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel will be charged for standard overnight self-parking.

Similar to Disney Vacation Club Resorts in California and Hawaii, Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Disney Vacation Club Members who wish to shop, dine or enjoy activities for the day at a Disney Resort hotel are not subject to the overnight self-parking fee. Charges for valet parking will still apply.

Um...no. We drive and use our car daily to drive over to the parks. It is, once again, a perk of staying on property, to be able to park free at the parks. It saves the ridiculous wait for the busses (last trip we drove to MK, then opted to go back mid day to AKL using the bus - it was over 45 minutes to get a bus BOTH directions). I'd be BULL if I were charged every time I left the resort. That is not a good solution.

Thanks for the reply! And just to be clear: I'm not suggesting my idea is better for guests than the current free parking arrangement. I'm suggesting my idea is better than the rumour swirling around about an overnight parking fee. If the latter happens, you won't really be parking for free at the parks anymore. You'll just be paying your resort for a transferable daily parking pass.

At least with my solution, on your resort days, or days you walk and/or take transit to the parks, you don't get charged for leaving the parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter