Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I feel like this summer has just flown by. We have 2 more weeks with dd. We're having a mother daughter shopping trip tomorrow which will be fun. I'm trying to savor these last days.

She'll be home in early October for a long weekend and then we'll go down for parent's weekend in late October. I tell myself it's just 6 weeks before I see her again. That doesn't seem so bad.

We leave on Tuesday to take DS to school. I agree, I don't know where the summer has gone.

I'm off work now until we get back. Today he's got to get his driver's license renewed and get a haircut. His license expires on his birthday in October - thankfully, he actually remembered he needed to renew. I didn't even think of it. That's something for you guys to check before your kids leave.

We leave on Tuesday to take DS to school. I agree, I don't know where the summer has gone.

I'm off work now until we get back. Today he's got to get his driver's license renewed and get a haircut. His license expires on his birthday in October - thankfully, he actually remembered he needed to renew. I didn't even think of it. That's something for you guys to check before your kids leave.

My daughter has only been a licensed driver for about a year so she has another 7 before her license expires- they are good for 8 years here. How often do you have to renew there??

My daughter has only been a licensed driver for about a year so she has another 7 before her license expires- they are good for 8 years here. How often do you have to renew there??

We are in Wisconsin and new drivers have a graduated/probationary drivers license. It expires two years after your next birthday, which comes out to be 19th birthday for those who get their license at age 16. His new license will be good for 8 years.

Move in date for DD is the 28th and I think she's the last of her friends to go. I'm already a mess. I've been seeing a lot of articles on FB about dropping your kid off at college, and I cry every time I read one of them.

We are doing a mother/daughter overnight in Boston (even though we live there) to do some museums, shopping, and so we can have some important conversations without her brothers being around. I wish I could freeze time and have a few more weeks/months/years!

We are in Wisconsin and new drivers have a graduated/probationary drivers license. It expires two years after your next birthday, which comes out to be 19th birthday for those who get their license at age 16. His new license will be good for 8 years.
Same! DD renewed hers yesterday.
Checking the boxes of the "to do" list!

We just got back last night from a week at the Jersey Shore with DH's family. Teacher Work Week starts on Monday for me. I take DS back to school on Wednesday. He's a 3rd year at UVA, and Charlottesville is a hot mess right now. I'm a little nervous about what is going on there. We move our freshman DD to Va Tech the following Wednesday (8/23). And then my nest will be empty. :sad:

I am thinking about planning a short snow tubing trip for all of us over Christmas Break to make myself feel better.

We are in full out packing mode here. And as ready as I thought we were, we have a 17 item shopping list! Ack$$$!!!
On a side note, even though housing is working through this weekend---no roommate assignment yet. dd can't decide if she is terrified of who she will get or if this is the funniest thing ever.

DS finished his weeklong pre-semester class/camp on Friday. Thought we would see him Friday night but he's having fun. He will be home sometime today as he has a few things to do at home and then will head back to school late Monday or Tuesday. His roommate arrives Wednesday on regular move in day. He's excited to meet him and get the semester started.

I just got a kick when I was already down. I found out today that the preschool that I teach at is closing at the end of the school year in May, 2018. I'm feeling a bit obsolete with my last one leaving for college and now being out of a job.

I just got a kick when I was already down. I found out today that the preschool that I teach at is closing at the end of the school year in May, 2018. I'm feeling a bit obsolete with my last one leaving for college and now being out of a job.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping a new door/window opens for you. Hugs...

What a bummer! Are there other schools in the area that might be hiring?

We are in full out packing mode here. And as ready as I thought we were, we have a 17 item shopping list! Ack$$$!!!
On a side note, even though housing is working through this weekend---no roommate assignment yet. dd can't decide if she is terrified of who she will get or if this is the funniest thing ever.

We did most of the packing today. I would say we are at least 80% done. I ended up with a new 10 item shopping list, so I feel your pain!

Only one of 4 children left at home. Oldest ds got married last Saturday. Ds#2 and Ds#3 left for their college 5 hours away on Tuesday. Ds#2 starts year 3 and just moved into his 1st apartment with 2 other guys. Ds#3 starts his first year in a dorm.

Dh and I joined #2 and #3 on Thursday. Brought up a van load of items for the 2 of them. Unloaded what went to the apartment then made 1st Wal-Mart run of 3. (We had not shopped yet, because of the wedding.) Finished setting ds#2 apartment up on Friday-putting together furniture and made a big grocery run.

Moved ds#3 in to the dorm yesterday. Made 3rd Wal-Mart run. Both stayed in their new places last night. Dh and I took them to lunch today and then hit the road. Wasn't as difficult leaving them as I thought it would be. Tuesday when they left home was my weepy day. Dh and I are content that we did all we could to get them off to a great start. And they have each other nearby, if needed.

Now, I dread looking at the credit card account!:faint::eek::sick:

Our freshman had a good night sitting up late talking with his roommate and a girl from down the hall. Even got a 2 am visit from the RA to remind them no co ed visitors that late--oops. They are on a guy and girl floor of students in the same major. So that's kind of neat for study sessions,support,etc. Seems that d's and his roommate will get along fine. Roommate has a great uncle who is a dean emeritus of their program at the college and still involved with students. He and his wife took ds and roommate out to eat tonight. I'm excited that this could be a great mentor for ds to have!

Last edited:
That stinks!!!! Hopefully something new and exciting is on the way for you.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping a new door/window opens for you. Hugs...

What a bummer! Are there other schools in the area that might be hiring?

Thanks! I'm sure that I'll figure it out. It was just a bad day to get the news (through an e-mail at that!) I have part-time three days a week until May, and then... another new chapter for me. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter