Peru: Sacred Valley and Incan Cities Meets Thread

One item it took that the entire group appreciated was aloe. Even though it wasn't super hot people got burned. There wasn't a place to buy more until cusco, so I recommend bringing this. The guides had sunscreen but not aloe.

Thanks for all those great tips !! it looks like that immunoglobulin must have been an old recommendation- it's been updated since...
hoping for no mountain sickness!

Those who have gone before... are hiking boots necessary or are good sneakers sufficient??
Michelle

Ran into the kids doc at today and got the scoop on international travel. So I'll be making an appointment tomorrow. I'd still be interested to know what anyone else did.

Previous Post
Just wondering what immunizations or medicines people got/suggest. The cdc and state dept web sites don't exactly match for Peru. thanks!

Woot Woot! Just made our deposit for the 02 August 2015 ABD Peru.

First time ABD and not the last if I have anything to do with it, but definitely the last if DH (the family money manager) has his way!

Gotta admit, it is a bit of a price shocker. But I know it is going to be magical.

Woot Woot! Just made our deposit for the 02 August 2015 ABD Peru.

First time ABD and not the last if I have anything to do with it, but definitely the last if DH (the family money manager) has his way!

Gotta admit, it is a bit of a price shocker. But I know it is going to be magical.
Congrats! I've added you to the Roll Call on the first page of this thread. Let me know if there's anyone in your travel party besides you and your DH, and I can add them on.

Just don't tell your DH that ABDs are highly addictive! Let him discover that all on his own! ;)

Sayhello

Ran into the kids doc at today and got the scoop on international travel. So I'll be making an appointment tomorrow. I'd still be interested to know what anyone else did.

Previous Post
Just wondering what immunizations or medicines people got/suggest. The cdc and state dept web sites don't exactly match for Peru. thanks!

Hi SeaPic! We will be along on the December Peru trip and are getting excited as the time draws near.

We didn't do much this trip but had the full round of immunizations for our trip to China/Tibet last summer. I got an update to the polio vaccine and Hep A and B as well as one for typhoid.

My daughter; being younger didn't have to have as many ... she is in her early 30's and was much more up to date on things. Your physician can advise you on the youngsters.

We were also given a prescription for Diamox for altitude ... we both used it in Tibet and had no problems whatsoever ... we will have it along this time but may or may not use it.

FWIW ... we both have sturdy "hiking" sneakers ... mine are waterproof. Hiking boots don't seem necessary and you are correct ... they are heavy and take up a lot of space!

Hi SeaPic! We will be along on the December Peru trip and are getting excited as the time draws near. We didn't do much this trip but had the full round of immunizations for our trip to China/Tibet last summer. I got an update to the polio vaccine and Hep A and B as well as one for typhoid. My daughter; being younger didn't have to have as many ... she is in her early 30's and was much more up to date on things. Your physician can advise you on the youngsters. We were also given a prescription for Diamox for altitude ... we both used it in Tibet and had no problems whatsoever ... we will have it along this time but may or may not use it. FWIW ... we both have sturdy "hiking" sneakers ... mine are waterproof. Hiking boots don't seem necessary and you are correct ... they are heavy and take up a lot of space!

Hi Moms! Not long now! We got the box earlier this week and everyone here is getting excited as well! Sounds like we were similar in the immunization department. The kids only needed the oral typhoid. In addition the the typhoid my husband and I both needed the Tdap booster and Hep A . I thought it was interesting the pediatrician did everything for the kids including the just in case altitude and tummy meds. Our doc told us to go to the local grocery/drug store pharmacy and talk to the travel consultant. Didn't even know that existed - but they took care of everything.

The kids want to take something for "Pack for a Purpose" since the Sol y Luna (I think that's the second hotel) is a drop off. I just need to figure out what we have room and weight for :-).

This is a test, because we seem to have lost a post by SeaPic.

ETA: OK, after I posted this post, I'm able to see SeaPic's reply. Was anyone else having issues getting to it? It was very strange. The list said it was there, but when I clicked on it, I kept getting taken to the previous page...

Sayhello

Sayhello,I can see the post (#151) perfectly. Maybe the NSA is "having some fun".:rotfl2: Most larger hospitals have a Travel Clinic set up to give vaccinations needed for the area you are to visit. They usually are listed under the Infectious Disease subspecialty dept.

This is a test, because we seem to have lost a post by SeaPic. ETA: OK, after I posted this post, I'm able to see SeaPic's reply. Was anyone else having issues getting to it? It was very strange. The list said it was there, but when I clicked on it, I kept getting taken to the previous page... Sayhello

I had same problem. I could see on the main page that her post was there, but could not get to it. Now I see it and the subsequent posts. Odd!

I had same problem. I could see on the main page that her post was there, but could not get to it. Now I see it and the subsequent posts. Odd!
I'm assuming the indexing to her post was broken. My post probably corrected that. I think.

The site appeared to be having some on & off networking issues last night. It may have been a result of that.

Sayhello

Hi guys....we are strongly considering booking the Peru trip for our family of four. I have 2 teenage sons. Well, I've been strongly considering it for years, but the stars are starting to align for this summer. We are thinking about one of the July trips. Fingers crossed that we work it out.
I'll keep you posted!:yay:

Hi guys....we are strongly considering booking the Peru trip for our family of four. I have 2 teenage sons. Well, I've been strongly considering it for years, but the stars are starting to align for this summer. We are thinking about one of the July trips. Fingers crossed that we work it out.
I'll keep you posted!:yay:
Fingers & toes crossed! :)

Sayhello

And just that quickly, everything has changed! I just booked the British Isles cruise on DCL for June 5, 2016. Now, I need info on a possible ABD add-on for this cruise. I'll be watching the ABD board closely for that! Thanks, Sayhello!

Hi Everyone

My husband and I were on the March Peru trip and I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and trip reports. I don't have time to write a full trippie, but wanted to give back to the DIS community, so here are some thoughts and also some tips for those going in the upcoming months.

Firstly- What an Amazing trip. Just Wow. If you are thinking of booking, just book it! We are a couple in our late 20's and like some of the other posters in this thread, we were a little hesitant of doing an organized group tour. We are used to planning and travelling by ourselves. We fell in love with the itinerary and reviews of this trip and that is why we booked. Well, it did not disappoint- the guides are wonderful at making sure everyone is involved and as strange and cliche as it sounds, we did feel like one big family at the end.

Ok, onto the trip itself:

Our group- There were 22 of us, made up of 6 families. We had a great mix of ages- I can go into this in more detail if it helps, but we had 6 junior adventurers (under 12's) as well as some older teens (18ish) and another girl in her 20s, like us. We also had two sisters travelling together who were in their 50s/60s. The children were well behaved and it was fun having the mix of ages.

Our guides were Mike Hague and Rudy. They were both superb! Funny, friendly and always upbeat. Rudy is doing several more Peru trips this year, so for those doing the trip in 2015, he may be your guide. Ask him lots of questions- he really is a local expert!

Airport- We had read Bobo's trip report several times (thank you :) ) so we were a little concerned about finding the person with the welcome sign at the airport. Our lady was directly in front of us, as we walked our of the baggage area. She had a sign with 'ABD' and our names. No need to walk through the crowds. Hopefully this is the same for others going.

Pre-day- We had a pre-day, which I highly recommend if you can. The pace of the trip is fast and it involves several very early starts. My understanding is that most USA flights land in Lima around 9pm at night. It took us a good few hours to get through immigration, collect our bags (we then had to put them through a security scanner again before we left- we didn't know this, so a heads up to those going) and get to the hotel, so it was 1am when we made it to our room. Lima is a beautiful city, so we woke up late the next day, relaxed, explored and took it easy on our pre-day. We met in the lobby the following day at 6am for our flight to Cusco. Only one family flew in the night before and like us didn't make it to their rooms until 1am. They had 4 hours sleep, which is not ideal.

Almost everyone in our trip suffered from altitude or travellers sickness at some point. We took Diamox and were fine. Things that helped us were drinking lots of water, as well as the coca tea which was freely available throughout the trip. Around day 3, my husband and I both suffered from diarrhea. We have no idea what caused it and it remained with us for the rest of the trip. Others in the group also suffered and our guides told us that this is common for visitors to Peru (different foods?). We took Imodium and painkillers which really helped and we didn't miss any days. We underestimated this when packing, so make sure you bring these. I also wished I had packed some saltines/ crackers, as well as those sachets with electrolytes in them, for the days that we didn't feel 100%. Whilst we are on the subject, bring sunscreen and insect repellent. Wear them every day, even if you don't think you need it! We did this after following advice from this thread. However, some of our group got very sunburnt and one person was bit by a bug and needed a shot to make the swelling go down.

Food- on the trip was incredible. 5 star meals, especially at Sol y Luna. We were stuffed every night.

Hotels- All three were amazing. Again, 5 star hotels and we felt like royalty in all of them. They all had plenty of bottled water, shampoo, conditioner etc. hair dryers and plenty of towels.

Excursions- We loved them all! Great mix of culture, exploring and fun things. When the children looked as if they were beginning to switch off, one of the guides would get them involved in something else, so the adults could learn about the sites in more detail. My husband is a history buff and felt the guides were brilliant.

Machu Picchu- Simply incredible! Everything was perfect and seamless. Again, we had read Bobo's trip report and based on her advice, we did not hike to the moon gate. This was the best advice! We were the only people who did not do the hike, so we had the local guide (a happy, knowledgable man called Diante) all to ourselves. We basically had our own private tour guide for 3 hours- it was one of the highlights of our trip. In the morning, you only get to see a small part of the site, so we still had plenty to see in the afternoon. We also went to the guardhouse in the afternoon, where you take the classic photo. Those who went to the moongate, missed out on the guardhouse and the rest of the ruins, as there was not enough time afterwards.

Postday- We booked an extra night at the end of the trip, as we weren't sure how fast paced the trip would be. We didn't really need this day and would have been happy to fly back at the end of the trip. The pace of the trip changed quite dramatically when we moved to Cusco, it was more relaxing and we had much more free time.

Disney magic- There are several disney references throughout the trip, but it was subtle. It was more about having a great experience and we really did! I am not going to ruin it, but we had several small surprises :-)

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help!

Tammy

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter