• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help...I've rented points and need advice

rtaylor0827

Earning My Ears
Good Morning. This may not be where I need to ask this question, but I need help, and thought this was a good place to start.

I have rented points from a DVC owner. He already had the reservation booked in his name. He instructed me that after my purchase, the reservation would be put in my name, my party added, and I would receive a new confirmation number once the reservation was changed to my name.

He is now telling me that his name can remain as primary guest on the reservation, and he only needs to add myself and my travel party to the reservation, so we can link the reservation in our MDE app. Everything I have read states the reservation needs to be in the primary guests name. If he remains as primary guest, wouldn't he need to be there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Is there a reason why he wants to keep his name as lead guest?

I’d ask him to please change the name, this should only take a few minutes via chat.

(With DVC it is simple to make guest name changes online. The exception is lead guest - the owner needs to contact Member Services by phone or chat.)

As a DVC Member I have rented out confirmed reservations in the past. The only reason to have my name on the reservation is lack of payment and/or lack of names, addresses, etc of the party renting. After payment is received, a call to DVC (can't do it any other way) will take my name off and add the new party. It isn't always convenient to sit on hold with DVC. It can take a day or so to get the new confirmation. Other than those situations, there is no need for the owner to remain on the confirmation. Were you told this ahead of time?

There is no reason he needs to stay on it. But you won’t have a problem checking in if he remained.

I’d still just ask that he be removed sonce it can be done very easily.

As a DVC Member I have rented out confirmed reservations in the past. The only reason to have my name on the reservation is lack of payment and/or lack of names, addresses, etc of the party renting. After payment is received, a call to DVC (can't do it any other way) will take my name off and add the new party. It isn't always convenient to sit on hold with DVC. It can take a day or so to get the new confirmation. Other than those situations, there is no need for the owner to remain on the confirmation. Were you told this ahead of time?
This is what I was told: Once the payment is confirmed and you provide me with all the guest information, I will add it to the Disney Resort confirmation and we send to you via email your Guest Certificate with the name on the reservation.

There is no reason he needs to stay on it. But you won’t have a problem checking in if he remained.

I’d still just ask that he be removed sonce it can be done very easily.
If the reservation remains in his name, we will still be able to check in without him being there?

I'd just sit tight for a couple days and see what you get for a confirmation. Every owner/renter has their own way of handling reservations. Good luck!

I've also used email to change the lead guest. It takes a day or two but there is no hanging on the phone.

I've also used email to change the lead guest. It takes a day or two but there is no hanging on the phone.
Me too. Chat works as well. I hate spelling out names and addresses and email addresses to someone over the phone. Much easier and less error prone to copy/paste it into chat or email.

This is what I was told: Once the payment is confirmed and you provide me with all the guest information, I will add it to the Disney Resort confirmation and we send to you via email your Guest Certificate with the name on the reservation.
The term "Guest Certificate" makes me believe that you are renting an exchange and not a reservation made directly by a DVC owner. This may be why he does not want to take his name off of the reservation. IIRC, those are not supposed to be sold/rented. Did the person renting to you also say that you will be asked to pay a fee upon check-in? If so, that would confirm that you have rented an exchange.

Last edited:
If the reservation remains in his name, we will still be able to check in without him being there?

You can still check in. I stay on my mother's points all the time. She sometimes arrives a day after us and I never have any trouble checking in. She or my father are always listed as the lead guest (granted they are staying with us at some point.....) We do the online check in which is even easier as your room just shows up in the app. If any one of us checks in, it shows that we are all checked in.

Agree with @CarolMN - this sounds like an illegal rental. Is it Saturday to Saturday as well?
Yep, Disney does not do "guest certificates" and it is against the contract to rent an exchange. Disney CAN cancel this reservation if they find out that the person you are renting from has rented out his exchange - without compensation. If you haven't exchanged money yet, don't.

The term "Guest Certificate" makes me believe that you are renting an exchange and not a reservation make directly by a DVC owner. This may be why he does not want to take his name off of the reservation. IIRC, those are not supposed to be sold/rented. Did the person renting to you also say that you will be asked to pay a fee upon check-in? If so, that would confirm that you have rented an exchange.
Yes, a fee of $190.00. If it is an exchange, can we check in if he leaves the reservation in his name w/o him being there?

Yes, a fee of $190.00. If it is an exchange, can we check in if he leaves the reservation in his name w/o him being there?
I f it were me, would get confirmation from this person...in writing from the exchange company.. he has the authoirty to rent the exchange. I have heard they can not and if you go to check in and these is an issue, you could have problems.

Yep, Disney does not do "guest certificates" and it is against the contract to rent an exchange. Disney CAN cancel this reservation if they find out that the person you are renting from has rented out his exchange - without compensation. If you haven't exchanged money yet, don't.
Unfortunately, I have already paid in full. This was an auction listed on ebay.

Unfortunately, I have already paid in full. This was an auction listed on ebay.
This is absolutely an illegal rental, unfortunately. You run a very real risk of arriving and not having a unit. That's why they're keeping their name on the booking - they cannot remove it because this kind of exchange cannot be rented to a third party.

I rented an exchange vacation from a DVC rental agency. They told me upfront what kind of rental it was and the extra fee involved. They gave us a guest certificate and the owner of the exchange put our names on the reservation. Absolutely zero issues. The cast members were very aware of how to deal with a guest certificate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter