• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help...I've rented points and need advice

I hope it all works out for OP. Who knew, had no idea people could buy “DVC rentals” off eBay. Seems to devalue the product IMO.

Apparently but I’m batting a 1000 for getting sent to MS call information for about the past year or so … used to be able to do everything via chat now as soon as I answer that my question involve a current reservation or anything other than buy more points I am directed to call
I feel like if I try to chat from the mobile site I get the same message as you. When I chat from my desktop, it seems to always work. GL

OK, once you get the confirmation number that you can plug into MDE, consider checking in online prior to arrival (like a couple of days before) and use a low-limit credit card to check in online. Then you don't have to visit the front desk.

Apparently but I’m batting a 1000 for getting sent to MS call information for about the past year or so … used to be able to do everything via chat now as soon as I answer that my question involve a current reservation or anything other than buy more points I am directed to call
That's weird I've done name changes and reservation merges several times over chat the last few months it's never been a problem. I've never seen any other reports of chat not wanting to help.

That's weird I've done name changes and reservation merges several times over chat the last few months it's never been a problem. I've never seen any other reports of chat not wanting to help.
It’s not that someone didn’t want to help but as soon as I answered a question as to what my reason to chat was they would refer me to call MS … happened as recently as a couple days ago

I feel like if I try to chat from the mobile site I get the same message as you. When I chat from my desktop, it seems to always work. GL
That could be it … I have used the mobile site exclusively recently … ty for the info

It’s not that someone didn’t want to help but as soon as I answered a question as to what my reason to chat was they would refer me to call MS … happened as recently as a couple days
Yeah I've never heard of that before, very weird

I hope it all works out for OP. Who knew, had no idea people could buy “DVC rentals” off eBay. Seems to devalue the product IMO.
This is not a rental by a DVC owner, it’s an inbound exchange via RCI or Interval International. Someone who owns a different timeshare traded into DVC and is selling that reservation, which is expressly forbidden by both exchange companies. Hopefully all will go well for OP.

It’s not that someone didn’t want to help but as soon as I answered a question as to what my reason to chat was they would refer me to call MS … happened as recently as a couple days ago
This has been happening to me for several months as well. You’re not alone.

I’ve given up indicating it’s a current reservation and just try again and select whatever gets me an actual CM to chat with. It doesn’t direct me to a sales guide.

This isn’t a normal DVC rental the OP is dealing with. It is an exchange into the DVC system from RCI or Interval international. Totally different reservation with different rules.
Would you recommend obtaining the guest certificate? We live 11 hours away, and I don't want to take the chance that I get there and cannot check in. I have the confirmation number that is in his name, and we are linked in MDE, I'm just nervous that we will end up having issues at check in. Thx!

Would you recommend obtaining the guest certificate? We live 11 hours away, and I don't want to take the chance that I get there and cannot check in. I have the confirmation number that is in his name, and we are linked in MDE, I'm just nervous that we will end up having issues at check in. Thx!
In your MDE, can you see the reservation itself? If the confirmation number shows in your MDE, you should be okay to check in - as long as the exchange company doesn’t find out he sold the exchange to you and notify DVC to cancel the reservation, which is out of your control. I would keep his name as primary guest, assuming you won’t exceed room capacity if you do.

Folks have pretty much explained everything, but I can try to summarize what's going on.

The "landlord" in this case may or may not be a DVC Member, but they also used a non-DVC timeshare (the "source") to obtain an exchange into a DVC unit via either RCI or II (the "unit"). In both systems, if one the source's owners is not on the reservation, the owner must obtain a Guest Certificate for one of the occupants. This is what allows the occupant to check in. In some systems--and DVC is one of these--the front desk is not too picky about who is checking in, as long as they are named on the reservation in advance. So, in those systems, it is common for an owner who is letting someone else use the exchange to skip getting the Guest Certificate, because it costs money.

Of course, the other reason to skip getting the Guest Certificiate is that it is much much harder for RCI or II to detect a pattern of mis-use. If I obtain a dozen different DVC exchanges in a year, rent them all, but never get a Guest Certificate, then it just looks like I really like Disney.

OP: If I were you, I would insist on getting them to issue you a Guest Certificate and to take their name off the reservation. Of course, you can't make them do that, but you might be able to be enough of a PITA to get them to do it. It might also be worth looking into how you paid--some payment mechanisms allow you to dispute the charge and claw back the funds. I'm not suggesting you do this, but you can certainly let the "landlord" think you might. But, if you have a Guest Certifiate, fewer things can go wrong. The chances that Disney (or RCI or II) cancel this exchange are very very low, and as long as you don't mention "it's a rental" to anyone at WDW, they get even smaller.

I rented an exchange vacation from a DVC rental agency.
If this agency is not already on the DISBoards Naughty List, they should be. It's one thing for random owners to do this. It's quite another for "reputable" agencies to do it.

Its likely to be fine because its unlikely that anyone who cares will find it.
Agreed, strongly.

I've done name changes and reservation merges several times over chat the last few months
For an exchange, I'm 99% sure you must call DVC Member Services, even if you are an owner of other points. That's because this reservation is not "owned" by any Member. So, in at least this case, the "landlord" would need to call.

Would you recommend obtaining the guest certificate?
As I wrote above, yes. It's one less potential problem area. But, if you can't, do advance check-in, supply a credit card, and use direct-to-room. You never really need to interact with the front desk if you don't want to.

I wonder if Disney has gone the AI chat bot route - anything that isn't automated and parseable now needs to get a real person as real people don't monitor chat.

For an exchange, I'm 99% sure you must call DVC Member Services, even if you are an owner of other points. That's because this reservation is not "owned" by any Member. So, in at least this case, the "landlord" would need to call.
Addendum: Once the "landlord" issues a Guest Certificate in a guest's name, and that Guest Certificate is communicated from RCI/II to DVC, the guest named on the Guest Certificate becomes an "owner" of the reservation for the purposes of calling Member Services. and can call directly to add the dining plan, make changes to the occupancy list, etc.

Addendum: Once the "landlord" issues a Guest Certificate in a guest's name, and that Guest Certificate is communicated from RCI/II to DVC, the guest named on the Guest Certificate becomes an "owner" of the reservation for the purposes of calling Member Services. and can call directly to add the dining plan, make changes to the occupancy list, etc.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful information. I paid via paypal, so I may see about disputing the charge, if he doesn't issue a guest certificate. I really don't want to chance it.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful information. I paid via paypal, so I may see about disputing the charge, if he doesn't issue a guest certificate. I really don't want to chance it.
PayPal terms provide almost no protection for transactions involving timeshares.

Have used chat to do this in the past but it seems unless you are purchasing points chat won’t ‘chat’ with you much any more instead they refer you to call during members services business hours… any trick to get them to engage?
Just yesterday I used chat to change the lead on a reservation. I didn’t expect it not to happen. I’ve done it before, too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter