• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help...I've rented points and need advice

Would you recommend obtaining the guest certificate? We live 11 hours away, and I don't want to take the chance that I get there and cannot check in. I have the confirmation number that is in his name, and we are linked in MDE, I'm just nervous that we will end up having issues at check in. Thx!
Yes. We got a guest certificate and had zero issues!!

Just yesterday I used chat to change the lead on a reservation. I didn’t expect it not to happen. I’ve done it before, too.
lol I just tried to get on chat a few minutes ago and yet again couldn’t get past the why am I here question … get sent to a message to call MS every single time … even more interesting is the chat function appeared on my phone yet did not appear on the computer at the very same time even though I was signed into both … perhaps I’m just being black balled lol

lol I just tried to get on chat a few minutes ago and yet again couldn’t get past the why am I here question … get sent to a message to call MS every single time … even more interesting is the chat function appeared on my phone yet did not appear on the computer at the very same time even though I was signed into both … perhaps I’m just being black balled lol
I’d be asking them what’s up next time you’re on the phone with them (which seems pretty likely). I have literally never been told to call MS for anything after entering a chat. I’ve changed reservations, had resale contract points added, added associate members, you name it. I only say this because your situation is absolutely not the norm.

I’d be asking them what’s up next time you’re on the phone with them (which seems pretty likely). I have literally never been told to call MS for anything after entering a chat. I’ve changed reservations, had resale contract points added, added associate members, you name it. I only say this because your situation is absolutely not the norm.
Yeah idk I will certainly be making an inquiry next time I need to call … at this point it is just a quest to see if I can get through …

Yeah idk I will certainly be making an inquiry next time I need to call … at this point it is just a quest to see if I can get through …
The only time I ever talk to them on the phone is when the chat option doesn’t pop up, and I don’t feel like waiting until it does.

The only time I ever talk to them on the phone is when the chat option doesn’t pop up, and I don’t feel like waiting until it does.
Does it ask you what you want assistance with? Add points, my membership, vacation planning question etc? Every answer I give there other than buy points gets me sent to MS phone number and hours …

Edit: I think ad blocker might have been my issue as I finally got thru via a laptop after turning it off

Last edited:
Does it ask you what you want assistance with? Add points, my membership, vacation planning question etc? Every answer I give there other than buy points gets me sent to MS phone number and hours …

Edit: I think ad blocker might have been my issue as I finally got thru via a laptop after turning it off
This happens to me too. You are not alone.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful information. I paid via paypal, so I may see about disputing the charge, if he doesn't issue a guest certificate. I really don't want to chance it.
I think you should get the guest certificate and also do online checkin. If you interact with DVC directly or with the front desk at the resort, don’t mention anything about paying for the reservation. You’re the person’s guest!

Good Morning. This may not be where I need to ask this question, but I need help, and thought this was a good place to start.

I have rented points from a DVC owner. He already had the reservation booked in his name. He instructed me that after my purchase, the reservation would be put in my name, my party added, and I would receive a new confirmation number once the reservation was changed to my name.

He is now telling me that his name can remain as primary guest on the reservation, and he only needs to add myself and my travel party to the reservation, so we can link the reservation in our MDE app. Everything I have read states the reservation needs to be in the primary guests name. If he remains as primary guest, wouldn't he need to be there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Yikes. If he stays on the reservation he’ll also have access to your room. He should not still be on your reservation if you’ve made full payment.

Nothing special. The CMs do not care whose credit card is used to pay for room charges. Some guests present multiple credit cards. If the OP chooses, she can specify which guests have charging privileges when she gives them the credit card. We did that when there were children staying in the villa.
Won’t this give charging privileges against OP’s credit card to the person renting the exchange?

Won’t this give charging privileges against OP’s credit card to the person renting the exchange?
🤷‍♀️ If I were the owner of the points, I would not have a credit card associated with the account/reservation.

Perhaps someone who actually rents their points (I haven't so far) will chime in.

it’s the opposite situation I’m worried about. The ebay seller would have access to OP’s credit card and charging privileges as well as access to op’s room because the eBay seller is the lead guest on the reservation.

it’s the opposite situation I’m worried about. The ebay seller would have access to OP’s credit card and charging privileges as well as access to op’s room because the eBay seller is the lead guest on the reservation.
As mentioned upthread, one can specify charging privileges, but I have only ever done so at the front desk. If the guest is trying to avoid the front desk, then perhaps it's best to verify that process, Regardless, the actual card number/info remains on file at the resort. If asked about the card, they will usually say XXX brand card ending in YYYY.

I would not want someone I don't know to be lead guest on my reservation. That is scary territory. Not that anything would happen, but there's always that chance. I would 100% ask for him to remove himself or I would request a refund. I sure hope you got a good deal on the rental, as this sounds like a huge headache and too many what ifs.

PayPal terms provide almost no protection for transactions involving timeshares.
It's correct that PayPal won't but if OP have paid with PayPal using their creditcard then they can ALWAYS make a dispute if they don't get their unit.

Creditcard company don't care about PayPal and they will just reverse the charge, and PayPal will then ask the receiver to pay up.

I would not want someone I don't know to be lead guest on my reservation. That is scary territory. Not that anything would happen, but there's always that chance. I would 100% ask for him to remove himself or I would request a refund. I sure hope you got a good deal on the rental, as this sounds like a huge headache and too many what ifs.
I second with this.

Addendum: Once the "landlord" issues a Guest Certificate in a guest's name, and that Guest Certificate is communicated from RCI/II to DVC, the guest named on the Guest Certificate becomes an "owner" of the reservation for the purposes of calling Member Services. and can call directly to add the dining plan, make changes to the occupancy list, etc.
So I finally received a Guest Certificate, after I told him if I didn't receive one I wanted a refund. Everything appears correct on the guest certificate. There is a confirmation number listed on the guest certificate. The confirmation number he gave me for linking to MDE is different. When I try to link, I enter the confirmation number and his last name, because when trying to link with my last name, I get no reservation found. I'm assuming he is still listed as the primary guest. When I enter his last name, all of my travel party is noted, but he is also on the list, as if he is staying with us. He tells me that he has called Disney and they are showing me as primary, but I think that is incorrect if I still have to put his last name in for the reservation to come up. Should I link to MDE with his name there, since we are his guests per the guest certificate?

So I finally received a Guest Certificate, after I told him if I didn't receive one I wanted a refund. Everything appears correct on the guest certificate. There is a confirmation number listed on the guest certificate. The confirmation number he gave me for linking to MDE is different. When I try to link, I enter the confirmation number and his last name, because when trying to link with my last name, I get no reservation found. I'm assuming he is still listed as the primary guest. When I enter his last name, all of my travel party is noted, but he is also on the list, as if he is staying with us. He tells me that he has called Disney and they are showing me as primary, but I think that is incorrect if I still have to put his last name in for the reservation to come up. Should I link to MDE with his name there, since we are his guests per the guest certificate?

Call the MDE people at Disney and see what they say. I have read that sometimes of errors. If they say he is still listed as the primary guest....then you know what to go back to him with.

Just tell them you are trying to link a reservation and that one guest is on there that should not be on their any longer.

If you're using his last name, the certificate is issued in his name, not yours. I think the name on the certificate would align to be the (primary) guest.

Can a (lead) guest add others, up to room capacity, after check-in? That could create some concern regarding room access.

I don't remember exactly what sort of approvals are needed for room charging privileges- who in a party needs to/can authorize other occupants charging rights (for us, occupants are almost always exclusively my wife and myself).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter